October 26, 2014 | 1359 users online

Shampoo - Giovanni - Smooth as Silk

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Starrguise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I found this for $1 at the local 'overstock' store and decided to give it a try, as I'm always stocking up on new hair products. I was instantly attracted to the grapefruit scent of the shampoo, but turned off by the shape of the bottle. (You can't turn it upside down.)

So, I've been using it for a few days paired with the Smooth as Silk conditioner. The shampoo itself gives a nice lather for a sulfate-free shampoo, but I immediately noticed that it was stripping the color out of my hair BADLY. I was also pulling several strands of my own hair off myself, not cool.

It does make my hair feel a tiny bit softer, but I've had better results using typical shampoos like Pantene or Aussie.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2010 2:47:00 PM More reviews by haelo07

This product is something I've been using for a couple weeks now and I like how much healthier looking my hair is after using it. Make sure you're conditioning properly because I could see my hair getting a bit dryer but not overtly dry looking if I didn't condition well.. My hair is much more "flighty" now and after a good wash feels a bit finer than thicker. Definitely NOT weighed down in the least haha. It doesn't look bad, it looks great, but its certainly doing something weird to my hair that worries me if it becomes any more "flighty"... I think I'll do a long conditioning day to see if that changes the texture much. I did notice a bit of itchiness with what seems to be an allergic reaction to something I'm putting in my hair. Not sure its that, a volumizer, or a keratin spray I am using thats the true cause. I will update if I find any changes!! So far its definitely worth a try!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Pipadee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was attracted to this brand because it was sulfate-free.

*Sulfates are really bad for your hair and it's hard to find a relatively cheap sulfate-free shampoo. Something that i think people should know is that most sulfate-free shampoo's don't lather very good because sulfates are used for lather.*

anyways.... I like this, i think it cleans well but doesn't provide that much moisture like it promises. But i will purchase this again because i feel a lot of zero sulfate shampoo's aren't very good. This one is good for it's range.

I also love the packaging, it's so modern and hip.

As for the conditioner i think i still need to find my HG. I don't worry about conditioners because sulfates aren't found in conditioners.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2010 12:17:00 AM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

This shampoo okay. Its not as moisturizing as i was thinking it would be although its claims to be. It feels really silky and moisturizing while its on your hair and gently cleanses. Also lathers good, but once you rinse, your hair feels pretty dry-But it is a shampoo usually all shampoos are drying -so its not that bad. plus when you apply the matching conditioner to this shampoo it instantly gets rid of the dryness and tangles, so its all good.

**FYI, dont get this in your eye cuz it buns like hell lol. Oh and im not a fan of the packaging, the look of the rectangle bottle is cute but its hard to squeeze the product out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 1:26:00 AM More reviews by pinknika

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is good not great. I like how it does leave your hair sqeaky clean but that is because it contains Cocamidopropyl betaine which has caused allergic reactions in some people. But in comparison it works a lot better than a lot of natural shampoos because it contains this ingrediant...I like that it does have essential oils in it but it does have a cone...which I mean is okay as long as you clarify every week to avoid silicone buildup. Yes I'm a huge advocate of this silicone buildup phenomenon because I truly think that too much silicone damages hair...at least my hair. So take precaution. Anyways I did use this with the conditioner which suprisingly didn't have the same cone in it but I think it may have had another form because my hair was pretty soft after using both. Overall I might buy this again down the road if I am really desperate or my hair just needs to cycle out some shampoo's but I do believe there are other products out there that have more natural ingrediants and do amazing- like aubrey organics shampoo and condition line.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2010 2:38:00 PM More reviews by ilikebigbuttsandicannotli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The shampoo is nice because it does a great job of getting tangles out of my hair and that was not expected of this product. It smells clean and fresh and rinses well. I use it along with the conditioner and smooth as silk xtreme and get wonderful results.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 9:29:00 PM More reviews by laru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had such terrible luck with the Giovanni Tea Tree oil shampoo, I don't know why I decided to pick this up. I figured that this was all natural and sulfate free, it might do my hair some good. In any case, this felt nice lathering up and smelled refreshing (citrus) but once I rinsed it out my hair felt squeaky clean which is never a good thing in my book. I followed it with my usual conditioner and my hair still felt a bit too clean. After blow drying, my hair was a rough poufy mess. My hair literally looked like straw on my head and all the ends were sticking up in weird directions. Even cheapie $1 shampoos don't do this to my hair! The only slight benefit was that my hair felt somewhat soft to the touch, but it just looked so horrible. I've used other silicone free shampoos and nothing leaves my hair as rat's-nest-like as Giovanni's shampoos. Needless to say, I will not be repurchasing this shampoo.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2009 10:26:00 AM More reviews by tarrenae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Smoothe-as-Silk (FLAT-as-SILK) I had the same problem with this shampoo as all the other shampoos in the Giovanni product line.It flattened out my fine hair and made it look limp and considerably thinner.It was gentle however,did not dry out my hair and the grapefruit citrus (all natural) fragrance was refreshing.I enjoyed how it did not tangle my hair or make it hard to comb out.The texture of the shampoo was also creamy and nice.I liked the fact it was organic,and non-toxic,however I did have a slight itching of the scalp with this,and was not pleased with the way it weighed down my hair.I probably will not purchase this again.Not reccomended for fine or thin hair as it does not volumize and does weigh the hair down making it limp.It might work well for thicker or courser hair textures not for fine heads!

Aqua (Purified Water) With *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, *Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Orange) Extract, *Mangifera Indica (Mango) Extract, *Cymbopogon Schoeanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, *Ginko Biloba Extract, *Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, *Salix Alba (Willow Bark), *Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract, *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract, *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, *Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Extract, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Extract, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Acrylates Copolymer, Glycol Distearate, Amodimethicone, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Decyl Glucoside, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disteareth-75 IPDI, C11-15 Pareth-7, Citric Acid, C12-16 Pareth-9, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance with Essential Oils.
*Certified Organic by Guaranteed Certification Services

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2009 12:53:00 PM More reviews by IntheFall

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used a sample of this shampoo and conditioner and was so very pleased with the results. It left my hair soft, bouncy and shiney. I even got a comment on my hair from my mom. It's my HG now. I have very thick course hair.

UPDATE: I used this S&C for about 6 days in a row and it seemed to leave my hair kind of icky like I didnt' get all the conditioner taken out. I'm taking off a couple of lippies for this reason.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2009 12:34:00 AM More reviews by zafiro80

leaves my hair so soft and shiny and curly. Fizz is controlled and hydrated!

use a little at a time because if you use too much then it can weigh down curls significantly.

no sulfates so not itchy scalp! rosemary to help calm it in fact!