Giovanni Smooth as Silk

3.8

Not tested on animals

New version: Aqua (purified water), sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) leaf extract, *citrus aurantium dulcis (valencia orange) extract, *citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit extract, *cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, *echinacea purpurea extract, *ginkgo biloba extract, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *macrocystis pyrifera (sea kelp) extract, *mangifera indica (mango) extract, *salix alba (willow bark) extract, xanthan gum, glycol distearate panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), citric acid, polysorbate 20, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance. Older version: Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil*, Valencia Orange (citrus auantium dulcis), Mango (Mangifera Indica)*, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus)*, Ginkgo Biloba*, Echinacea Angustifolia (echinacea Angustifolia)*, Willow Bark (Salix Alba)*, Sea Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)*, Chamomile Flower (Chamomila Recruita)*, Soy textured protein*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, Olive Oil, Diazolidinyl Urea, Octyl 4-Methoxy Cinnamate (Sunscreen), Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Citric Acid (corn), Fragrance with Essential Oils.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a nice sulfate-free shampoo. It's inexpensive and organic. It lathers nicely but I don't think it's necessary. It definitely helps in reducing frizz. I have thick, wavy, medium-textured hair. Will buy again.

on 4/28/2010 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

After my favorite shampoo got discontinued, I was on a hunt for an effective (read: thoroughly cleansing) sulfate-free shampoo. I don't think I found it in this shampoo. The smell is nice. It gave inconsistent results in cleaning my hair. Some uses it seemed like it did a great job cleaning; other times not so much. Not sure why that is.
I think it's been reformulated, and I don't know if I have the old or new formulation. Why I say this is that on my bottle, there is no mention of amodimethicone and the texture is creamy. At the store, it appears to be of thinner substance and there is amodimethicone in it.
Since it was in a different store than where I bought mine, I can't be for sure which is older and which is newer. I'm going to assume mine is the older formulation (??). The a-cone isn't an issue with me, but it might be with you. So look at the ingredient list, if you're concerned.

I'm still on the hunt for something better.

on 4/27/2010 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I found this for $1 at the local 'overstock' store and decided to give it a try, as I'm always stocking up on new hair products. I was instantly attracted to the grapefruit scent of the shampoo, but turned off by the shape of the bottle. (You can't turn it upside down.)

So, I've been using it for a few days paired with the Smooth as Silk conditioner. The shampoo itself gives a nice lather for a sulfate-free shampoo, but I immediately noticed that it was stripping the color out of my hair BADLY. I was also pulling several strands of my own hair off myself, not cool.

It does make my hair feel a tiny bit softer, but I've had better results using typical shampoos like Pantene or Aussie.

on 4/7/2010 2:47:00 PM

This product is something I've been using for a couple weeks now and I like how much healthier looking my hair is after using it. Make sure you're conditioning properly because I could see my hair getting a bit dryer but not overtly dry looking if I didn't condition well.. My hair is much more "flighty" now and after a good wash feels a bit finer than thicker. Definitely NOT weighed down in the least haha. It doesn't look bad, it looks great, but its certainly doing something weird to my hair that worries me if it becomes any more "flighty"... I think I'll do a long conditioning day to see if that changes the texture much. I did notice a bit of itchiness with what seems to be an allergic reaction to something I'm putting in my hair. Not sure its that, a volumizer, or a keratin spray I am using thats the true cause. I will update if I find any changes!! So far its definitely worth a try!!

on 3/21/2010 8:40:00 PM

I was attracted to this brand because it was sulfate-free.

*Sulfates are really bad for your hair and it's hard to find a relatively cheap sulfate-free shampoo. Something that i think people should know is that most sulfate-free shampoo's don't lather very good because sulfates are used for lather.*

anyways.... I like this, i think it cleans well but doesn't provide that much moisture like it promises. But i will purchase this again because i feel a lot of zero sulfate shampoo's aren't very good. This one is good for it's range.

I also love the packaging, it's so modern and hip.

As for the conditioner i think i still need to find my HG. I don't worry about conditioners because sulfates aren't found in conditioners.

on 2/25/2010 12:17:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This shampoo okay. Its not as moisturizing as i was thinking it would be although its claims to be. It feels really silky and moisturizing while its on your hair and gently cleanses. Also lathers good, but once you rinse, your hair feels pretty dry-But it is a shampoo usually all shampoos are drying -so its not that bad. plus when you apply the matching conditioner to this shampoo it instantly gets rid of the dryness and tangles, so its all good.

**FYI, dont get this in your eye cuz it buns like hell lol. Oh and im not a fan of the packaging, the look of the rectangle bottle is cute but its hard to squeeze the product out.

on 2/23/2010 1:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This product is good not great. I like how it does leave your hair sqeaky clean but that is because it contains Cocamidopropyl betaine which has caused allergic reactions in some people. But in comparison it works a lot better than a lot of natural shampoos because it contains this ingrediant...I like that it does have essential oils in it but it does have a cone...which I mean is okay as long as you clarify every week to avoid silicone buildup. Yes I'm a huge advocate of this silicone buildup phenomenon because I truly think that too much silicone damages hair...at least my hair. So take precaution. Anyways I did use this with the conditioner which suprisingly didn't have the same cone in it but I think it may have had another form because my hair was pretty soft after using both. Overall I might buy this again down the road if I am really desperate or my hair just needs to cycle out some shampoo's but I do believe there are other products out there that have more natural ingrediants and do amazing- like aubrey organics shampoo and condition line.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The shampoo is nice because it does a great job of getting tangles out of my hair and that was not expected of this product. It smells clean and fresh and rinses well. I use it along with the conditioner and smooth as silk xtreme and get wonderful results.

on 10/25/2009 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I had such terrible luck with the Giovanni Tea Tree oil shampoo, I don't know why I decided to pick this up. I figured that this was all natural and sulfate free, it might do my hair some good. In any case, this felt nice lathering up and smelled refreshing (citrus) but once I rinsed it out my hair felt squeaky clean which is never a good thing in my book. I followed it with my usual conditioner and my hair still felt a bit too clean. After blow drying, my hair was a rough poufy mess. My hair literally looked like straw on my head and all the ends were sticking up in weird directions. Even cheapie $1 shampoos don't do this to my hair! The only slight benefit was that my hair felt somewhat soft to the touch, but it just looked so horrible. I've used other silicone free shampoos and nothing leaves my hair as rat's-nest-like as Giovanni's shampoos. Needless to say, I will not be repurchasing this shampoo.

on 10/15/2009 10:26:00 AM

Smoothe-as-Silk (FLAT-as-SILK) I had the same problem with this shampoo as all the other shampoos in the Giovanni product line.It flattened out my fine hair and made it look limp and considerably thinner.It was gentle however,did not dry out my hair and the grapefruit citrus (all natural) fragrance was refreshing.I enjoyed how it did not tangle my hair or make it hard to comb out.The texture of the shampoo was also creamy and nice.I liked the fact it was organic,and non-toxic,however I did have a slight itching of the scalp with this,and was not pleased with the way it weighed down my hair.I probably will not purchase this again.Not reccomended for fine or thin hair as it does not volumize and does weigh the hair down making it limp.It might work well for thicker or courser hair textures not for fine heads!

Aqua (Purified Water) With *Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, *Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Valencia Orange) Extract, *Mangifera Indica (Mango) Extract, *Cymbopogon Schoeanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, *Ginko Biloba Extract, *Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, *Salix Alba (Willow Bark), *Macrocystis Pyrifera (Sea Kelp) Extract, *Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Leaf Extract, *Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, *Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Extract, *Glycine Soja (Soybean) Extract, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Acrylates Copolymer, Glycol Distearate, Amodimethicone, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Decyl Glucoside, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disteareth-75 IPDI, C11-15 Pareth-7, Citric Acid, C12-16 Pareth-9, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance with Essential Oils.
*Certified Organic by Guaranteed Certification Services