MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 1/19/2015 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My friend bought this foundation for me when she was in America and I was excited to finally have it again. I had forgotten how thick and full coverage this foundation is, and annoyingly matte (I have dry skin so I don't really like a matte finish). However, this foundation does cover pigmentation on the skin but can be heavy. I do think this is a pretty basic foundation, overall.

It is annoying that you have to buy the pump separately and now that I think about, that's probably a reason for me not using it as much as I can. (I do have 2 other foundations I use though). Getting the pump will be a life saver for you and I highly recommend doing so. I also think the NARS pump MAY fit this bottle, but I'm 100% sure.

What I like about this foundation:
- It gives a perfect base to contour, highlight etc.
- It has good-to-really good coverage.
- It has a very thick smooth consistency that buffs into the skin
- Applied best with a foundation or buffing brush (will be very full coverage when using flat foundation brush) or a beauty blender/sponge.
- I don't use powder to set this foundation and I have dry to normal skin. I find that the finish of the foundation is matte.

Some not so great things about this foundation:
- Can feel slightly 'heavy' on skin
- Breaks some people out apparently?
- Thick-ish consistency.
- Can show dry patches on skin (however this has stopped).

I would recommend it to a friend as long as they were aware of the cons stated above. I haven't had any reactions to this foundation and I do have slightly sensitive skin.

buy a pump. I love this HgH HG for me, makes me look perfect FULL coverage and looks great in pictures. I can't live with out this out sucks that it's like 40usd. not cakey stays on forever. I use a beauty blender, AND DON'T SMEAR IT IN CIRCULAR MOTIONS. patting is key. add me on fb chanel luxe or instagram missalmita55 for looks.

on 1/17/2015 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Reference: NC44

I liked this foundation in the beginning but found for my combo skin it can turn my skin orange and greasy in a few hours. The coverage is good though and buying the pump for it makes this product last for a long time. Price is good for MAC foundations at $27USD.
I wanted to be a MAC addict but I'm not loving their foundations.
Back to Revlon toast I go...

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

SPECIAL NOTES: I am SUPER fair. I also have extremely dry skin.
NC10, hallelujah, a shade pale enough for me!!!

PROS: I recommend this product if you are pale. I think it's a good foundation in general, but for me the fact that it is the only foundation I've ever found that is pale enough seals the deal. It's not drying (but not overly moisturizing). Wear time is really good, and it doesn't do anything weird as it wears off. It doesn't oxidize, which is very important for me. Coverage is great- it applies easily to medium coverage and builds to full (but it takes a little caution, it's easy to put a little too much and then it'll look caked on). It's expensive, but not ridiculously so. I haven't had any issues with it exaggerating dry spots. It has SPF!

CONS: It really does smell like paint, fairly strongly, when you're first applying it-but that smell dissipates quickly. They make you buy the pump separately, for like $10 or $15, which is obnoxious. There's a fine line between the right amount and too much, and applying too much definitely looks cakey and thick.

HOW I USE:
To make this product work for extremely dry skin, I've developed a system. Every night after I wash my face I apply a layer of Aquaphor (seriously, every night, that's how dry I am), AND I sleep with a humidifier by my bed - GlamLifeGuru taught me that trick and it is magic. In the morning I apply a thin layer of a moisturizer (though not Aquaphor, anything that thick will interfere with the foundation setting as it should, and the makeup will come off onto everything throughout the day. Use something thin!). I then put on a thin layer of my Neutrogena SPF 80 for face (super fair, protecting myself even though the foundation has SPF 15). After those moisturizing items have dried a bit, I smooth on some Monistat Anti Chafing Powder Gel (a primer dupe that I have reviewed before! I recommend!). I then use a dampened Beauty Blender to apply. APPLIES LIKE A DREAM WITH THE BEAUTY BLENDER. The RealTechniques sponge also works, but the Beauty Blender is hands down the better tool to get a flawless finish with this foundation. With the BB I use about 1.5 pumps to cover my whole face. I like to wait until the foundation has fully set before dusting it (sparingly) with a powder (I use the NYX Radiant Finishing Powder in the brightening version) because otherwise the powder sticks a little too well and it can look thicker.

WARNINGS/TIPS:
I've found that it's easy to apply too much under the eyes, so I definitely recommend using a true concealer to do that job, even though it's tempting since the coverage of the foundation is so good. If you're super pale like me, the NYX HD green concealer works wonders to cancel out the purple spots under my eyes and then a normal thin layer of foundation does the rest of the work, eliminating the need for me to somehow find a concealer that light.

I really suggest using this formulation with the Beauty Blender. If you don't have a BB, then try the RealTechniques sponge, and if not try using your fingers. If you insist on using a brush, try stippling it on and then wait until it dries and THEN buff it with a flat top brush to eliminate streaking.

on 1/16/2015 2:34:00 PM

I've been flirting with the idea of trying this foundation for years, as even though I'm usually happy with my staples, I am always on the hunt for "better". I've loved ELDW, then my skin got less oily with age and I moved on to ELDWL, which is still my HG for going out. I've loved Smashbox Studio Skin 15hr, which is still what I use on a daily basis at work. I bought the SFF a couple of months ago, and fell in love with it too!

What I like about it, in comparison to the aforementioned foundations, is the finish. It minimizes my pores the most and makes me look the most airbrushed. Also, NW10 matches me very well, but I can also get away with NC15.

What I don't like about it is that it doesn't play all that well with my winter skin, it shows all the tiny flakes I may have - and I have lots these days. It almost feels like it has a powdery finish, and that's not working for me for the time being. So I retired it for now, until Spring-Summer.

Pros: awesome coverage, airbrushed look, many shades to choose from, little fragrance, doesn't break me out.

Cons: emphasizes dry patches, can wear off on my chin/nose at the slightest rub, doesn't control oily T-zone as well as the others, doesn't come with a pump (although the pump from Smashbox Studio Skin fits well),

I have 2 shades and I don't think I'll buy more after I finish them, but overall I really like this foundation.

on 1/16/2015 2:11:00 PM

During high school I was solely into drugstore brand foundation since I was on a budget. Now that I can afford high end brands I decided to purchase this hyped foundation which would look amazing on my cousin. Went for it and regret it. I have very oily skin during the summer and in winter I am combo. This foundation made me break out heavily. Sadly I could not return it. It's been in my stash for a 3 months now and decided to try it out again. This time it irritated my skin. Hate this foundation lol

on 1/14/2015 12:57:00 AM

Love the beautiful color but soooo drying. I understand it is a matte foundation but sucks all the moisture out of my skin. Cakey heavy and drying. I will be returning this...unfortunate because I did have such high hopes because of the perfect color match. Halfway through the day, my skin feels tight and itchy. Really, really disappointed. Pretty confused on how people rate this product five stars.

on 1/13/2015 2:54:00 PM

It tends not to like dry skin, I've used it on oily, normal skin and it performed great.When I use it on myself I need to layer it over a heavy wax based moisturizer so it will not accentuate my flaky dry bits.It has a satin, more on the matte side finish. MAC foundations come without a pump, you need to buy them separately which for a brand like MAC seems cheep,so 3 stars for that, otherwise the packaging looks sleek.All MAC products are pricey, again 3 stars for that.The coverage is medium to heavy, does not cake if applied correctly.It has a great staying power.The odor is a bit nasty though.And the color selection is great, anyone can find a match.If I had to use it only on me I would not repurchase.

on 1/12/2015 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This foundation is one of my favs! I am african american and mexican and find it difficult to find foundation for my complexion. I tend to buy two colors of various brands and mix the two to achieve my color. The day I found my color (NC42) I absolutely begin to fall in love with the product. This product is thick so a little goes a long way, and the finish is matte, I can apply this foundation on early in the morning and wear it all day with only having to blot my face maybe once around my nasal area. My "T" zone is still matte and dry and my make up is not running down nor off my face. I recommend using some type of primer prior to applying this foundation and if you like full coverage foundation this is great to use also. Good luck beauty seekers and hope my review was helpful ! ! !

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have oil skin and I use the shade nc30.

This foundation is awesome. I asked for
Sample at my local MAC store before purchasing the full size. This foundation has a matte finish but for me at least, there's a nice sheen/glow to it. I love that it leaves my face matte without looking cakey.

I have used revlon Colorstay before because it was a dupe for this foundation but Mac wins hands down when it comes to the shade range.

I only use the tiniest amount because I do have clear skin and my main focus with foundation is to just even out my skintone. I use the sigma f80 kabuki brush to apply and a damp beauty blender after to make sure my foundation is even and blended well.

Definitely would repurchase the full size when I'm done with sample.