August 22, 2014 | 2007 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2012 9:15:00 PM More reviews by anaelleee

This product makes me very sad, because it gave me the coverage and finish i wanted, but my skin did not seem to like it, because I broke out from it within the first 5 hours of usage. So for ratings, 5/5 for coverage and finish, as well as colour (i chose translucent medium and am nc20-25 in mac for reference), but only around a 2.5/5 for overall because It broke me out.
The price I paid for this, after taxes, was a little over $16. It seems pricey for a drug-store product, but you get 14g.

The packaging isnt the best, because it is quite bulky, but to me, the product is what counts. I think it may be the boron nitrite that messed up my skin (i'm not sure though, because i've never used a face product with this ingredient until now), but def i'm disapointed because after much searching I thought I had finally found my everyday foundation and powder.

The finishing is not completely matte, but not shinery or even dewy...i'd say something between matte and dewy, def a gorgeous finish. In terms of coverage, although I could still see my acne scars (without the use of my studio finish concealer or glamoflauge), it evened
out my skin and gave me a sort of airbrushed look (I applied it with my favorite brush, the ecotools bronzer brush). It did cake a tiny bit, but unless someone stares at you very closely, it is not noticeable.

I have combo oily/dry skin (oily t-zone, dry rest of the face) and as long as I moisturised, this powder did not stick to flakies or anything like that....ugh I wish it had worked for me. I will probably end up trying it again in a few days/weeks to make sure that it does break me out before I chuck this/give it away. It's a bit disappointing that PF would stated that it's "non-comedogenic" when it did break me and a few others out (I understand everyone's skin is different, but if it does break some people out, then it is not truly "non-comedogenic").

I still recommend this, but try it on a small area of your face first! Happy shopping :) (also, if you dont have the ecotools bronzer brush yet..GO GET THAT AT THE SAME TIME!!!!)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 12:49:00 AM More reviews by waymire01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

The packaging is so bad on this product, it is almost impossible to use. There is a clear dome on top, which opens to store the brush. The brush is one of the scratchiest things I have ever felt on my face, it is actually painful. The brush attaches to a second cap, which opens to reveal a sifter through which the product dispenses. The problem is the cap fits into the sifter, so there is no way to shake out a bit of the product to apply. You either have to try to shake it out with the cap open (disaster), shake it into the dome (messy and wasteful), or open the entire package and use it loose from the jar.

The actual product is mediocre for a setting powder, but certainly not suitable as a foundation. It provides little coverage, perhaps reduce some redness or provide some evening of complexion, that's about it. It fluffs everywhere during the process of buffing it in, I think I wore more on my shirt than on my face. I only used it twice, because it was so difficult to use due to the packaging, and I had purchased it as a powder foundation, which is was not.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/17/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by lindadomini

My first stint with mineral foundation. Had high hopes with Physician's Formula but this one didn't do it for me.

Accentuated creases and dry patches. Was messy... as with most mineral foundations.

The mini-kabuki brush that came with it seemed to provide maximum coverage which made the foundation thick, cakey, and super dry. I liked the domed cover which is nice to put foundation in but then all the foundation culminated in the center, which just added to the thick and cakey application process.

Without primer, the foundation had no staying power. Within a matter of 2-3 hours after application, my semi-oily face began to take its toll on the makeup. There was no staying power. Foundation came right off with a swipe of a brush or hand or tissue.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 6:45:00 PM More reviews by healthyglow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this powder, especially for summer. A sheer layer will make my skin look almost flawless, but too much will be cakey. It doesn't provide much coverage however, but it hides most of my redness and some of my under eye circles. I recommend this. It doesn't break me out and lasts a long time without greasing and sliding off. One thing I dislike is that it's pretty messy. But loose powder foundations always messy. And the packaging isn't very good. The top cap keeps coming off and then the brush gets out. The brush is pretty good, I use it often. And it feels like there's nothing on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2012 8:05:00 AM More reviews by Yzyz

I wish I could rate this a 4.5/5 since it would be a 5/5 without the packaging issue. However it is annoying enough for me to take off credits from the product itself.

This powder definitely matches my requirements for a good loose powder. It is translucent enough to look more natural than using mineral loose powder foundation, pressed powder, baked powder,etc.
I have acne-prone skin. On good skin days, a sheer layer of this powder on top of some sheer concealer is perfect for my skin since it mattifies it while giving it a healthy glow.When my skin is breaking out, I need to heavier amount of this powder on. When putting a bit more than a sheer layer, it gives beautiful sheer coverage that is just enough to minimize any redness peaking through my foundation. It does not CONCEAL and despite its premises, it's definitely not a powder that has a foundation's coverage. It simply mattifies and minize a small amount of redness. This keeps the skin natural looking. Though, whenever I apply too much, it can look kinda powdery and i usually just spray some water on my face and let it sit. It would minimize the powdery effect and give a natural glow.

This powder is smooth but not velvety. Does not look cakey and matches skincolor perfectly. Perfect finishing coat for base makeup since it balances out the color, the texture and the finish of the whole thing.

Very versatile. Could set makeup using a sheer coat and fluffy powder brush, could be used as a sheer-coverage foundation when using a kabuki brush and spraying the brush with some water first, could dab it to set concealer alone with smaller brush and so on. Love it

Definitely my favorite loose powder and i will not apply pressed powder or powder foundation anymore! REPURCHASE!

One start down for its packaging though. The lid doesn't close very securely and could easily open when you carry it around in your purse or luggage only to end up in a hot mess. Can't bring this with me out or on a trip, unfortunately. A good replacement for this on a trip would be M.A.C's skinfinish baked powder in natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by ryanneash95x

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product! I was looking for a more loose powder because i was hating my liquid foundation and powder on top routine. But the powder i used was Physicians formula and i knew i liked it. I wanted something more lighter on my face and i was looking towards Bare Minerals and i didn't find a shade i liked, since i had already used PF i knew what shade i was. and I LOOOOOVE THIS LOOSE POWDER. It stays on all day and it really gives you a good coverage with a light on your skin feeling. I highly recommend this product to anyone who wants to try a loose powder that is cheaper the spending $26 on Bare Minerals when you can spend 12 bucks on a loose powder with more in it.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

This is another supposedly gentle product that irritated the hell out of my skin. I'm guessing the Boron Nitride? Mica? I had used PF for years, albeit the pressed powders with little issue. I have tried this product a few times over the years, always coming back because of the promise of talc free and suitability for sensitive blemish prone skin. The coverage is very light, and on my 34 year old skin, very dry and almost chalky looking. I used my kabuki to apply, not the garbage brush that this comes with. The packaging is awkward, but if the product were right for me, I'd overlook it as I tend to load up a portable kabuki for my purse anyway and would not carry this in my purse.

Anyhow, this time around, after trying to stop using Bare Naturale in an attempt to see how it would help my skin, I tried this over my trusty (for now) Vichy NormaTient. I didn't like how it felt or looked. Dry, chalky, and it did not last, settled into dry spots and my baby wrinkles. Within 2 days, a new rash of cosmetic acne. So I put it away for a month, cleared up, and retried to be sure. Same reaction. So...into the bin with this. If I were to try another PF face powder, I'd go with the pressed powders so long as Boron Nitride wasn't an ingredient. After studying and comparing labels of things that work and don't with the list on zerozits, I have a strong hunch Boron Nitride, Bismulth Oxychloride, Isopropyl Myristate and perhaps Mineral Oil are doing my face in.

Boo :(

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2012 3:41:00 AM More reviews by kakjane

I have extremely acne-prone, combination skin. I spent the last five years caking on liquid foundation just to cover the redness but looking horrendous as a result. Then I decided to try using this mineral wear as a "second layer" to my liquid foundation, hoping it would reduce the cakeyness. I ended up discovering that it actually has considerable coverage, which I build up depending on the state of my skin. I no longer use liquid foundation whatsoever! :) It is positively marvelous compared to liquid foundation and it DOES not worsen my breakouts. Since basically everything does (dairy, wheat, hormones, stress, most cosmetic ingredients, not enough sleep), this is astounding to me. This makeup is not without fault, of course. My two main issues are these: 1) oxidation! It goes on as a flawless, pale dusting which perfectly matches my tone. By the end of the day the soap and water is orange when I wash my face. There isn't a huge orange-faced effect on my face itself, which is I guess the key thing, but on days where I build it up a lot to cover more acne, it definitely forms some dark patches. I've never found a foundation that doesn't oxidize, so I'm not complaining...this is definitely better than most, but still I wish it didn't do this! 2) A little too reflective for me. I can see why those with oily skin hate this product. I too get a lot of shine from it, so I wouldn't recommend it to those with oily skin. Still, I would definitely recommend this for girls with acne who don't want to be a cake-face. I would take a little shine but still FULL COVERAGE over cakeface full coverage any day! :) On those blissful days when my skin is clear, just a light dusting of this product makes my skin look like it was photoshopped to be even and luminescent. Packaging is horrible, as everyone else mentioned jaja

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by kf2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for the shade "Soft Ivory."

I think PF is a little confused with this product. The packaging claims that it will have "the coverage of a foundation," but this had absolutely no coverage on my skin. My main concerns are some redness and some hyperpigmentation from old acne. This did nothing to cover or even slightly diminish the look of either. I applied 5 layers and got no evening out of my skintone at all. I tried applying with my EdM Flat Top Brush, my BE Full Flawless Face Brush, a concealer brush, and a sponge. Nada. It was like applying a translucent finishing powder.

Except it wasn't really translucent, which brings me to my second gripe. Despite having no coverage, this color was rather dark. It is called "Soft Ivory." Perhaps I'm working with the wrong definition of "ivory," but this gave my skin an odd orangey cast that made it look like I'd applied a sheer bronzer all over my face. It didn't look quite so dark when I swatched it on my neck/chest, but applied all over my face, it was an obvious difference. It was as if I'd applied a generous amount of self-tanner but didn't bother to do the rest of me.

The pros: the texture of the powder is very nice. It is soft, smooth, and finely-milled, and blends into the skin easily. It is neither completely matte, nor is it glowy; it is a skin-like, satiny finish. I cannot speak to breakouts or irritation, since I only wore it for about 10 minutes before taking it off. I noticed no itching while it was on, though, and it didn't feel heavy or cakey at all (which, despite the amount of layers I was wearing, I would certainly expect: there's no coverage!).

I think this would make a decent setting powder or a translucent mattifying powder if one were to find a natural-looking color match. However, this was a total fail as a mineral foundation, and the color is so far from "Ivory" it's laughable. I'll be returning it and won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by talieheart

I love love this powder. i have combination skin and this blends in great. it has actually helped my skin, as i dont need foundation when i use it and has dramatically decreased blemishes. definitely will purchase again