Milk of Magnesia as Primer

Price: $

on 7/4/2011 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Okay I have really super oily skin and this helps to control oil! I have never tried any other foundation primer before so maybe my review is a little biased. But why change a good thing, right? Yes, at least when it comes to this. I bought the gerneric brand (Top Care) and not the Phillips so I am not for sure if it makes a difference or not. I apply this product with a wet cosmetic sponge and apply a thick layer to my face (b/c skin is so so oily) then I stipple it into the skin. After it dries it does leave some white streaking. But I just buff it away with my kabuki brush. So its no big problem. But I will never apply my makeup ever again without this product. The day before yesterday I was away from home and didn't have it with me and had to apply my makeup without and I got oily within half an hour. But yesterday I applied my makeup with this and my makeup stayed on all day. And I must add that yesterday I spent most of the day outside in the 97 degree heat and my makeup do not crease or get oily. Well of course I sweated haha. But my makeup stayed. If the Milk of Magnesia can do this it is truely an amazing product. This is a must have in my makeup application and I will continue to repurchase this product! My HG foundation primer!

on 6/16/2011 3:36:00 PM

I have oily but dehydrated skin. Usually my makeup seems to slide off my face a few hours into the night and my t-zone is always shiny in pictures. After hearing about MoM's oil controlling abilities, I gave it a try. The first time I used it, my face was in matte heaven. I went through a whole night of dancing without a single sheet of blotting paper! I thought I had found the answer to my oilies. However, it seemed every subsequent use of this my face stayed matte for less time.

I've tried not moisturizing before MoM, moisturinzing then using a primer before MoM, and only using a primer before MoM. All to no avail. My face was not terribly oily when I had this on, but I wasn't able to experience the same result as that first time. Also, my face was becoming really dry. Whenever I applied my foundation after MoM, I was able to see patches of dry spots on my skin. Despite this, I am not totally turned off by this product, maybe I'll try it again in the future.

How I use MoM:
After washing face, I use a toner. Remember to shake the bottle of MoM VERY well then use a cotton ball or finger tips to spread a thin layer of MoM on face. Let dry for 2-3 minutes and apply foundation/ makeup.

on 6/4/2011 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

didn't work for me at all.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I never thought that I'd be writing a review about how a laxative has changed my appearance.

But here it is.

I got turned on to this via YouTube. There were several videos with woman after woman talking about how this product has helped them win the battle against oily skin ruining their makeup.

They weren't lying.

Let me tell you. I have been using this for three weeks now. And I simply love it. My makeup, which used to fall victim to shine within an hour or two, now goes flawless for about 7 hours. No blotting, powdering. Nothing.

This product is, "the truth."

When you get this, be sure NOT to get the flavored ones. Stick to the original formula.

Each morning after cleaning your face and following your sunscreen/moisturizer, ad a sheer bit of this on your T-Zone. Let it dry, then apply your primer. Follow it with your foundation. Be careful not to use too much. If it turns white and cakey then you have used too much. Just dab a teeny bit of water on that area and blend it into your face.

Trust me when I say, we've had a recent heatwave here, and my makeup has not budged.

It's been eight hours with makeup on today and it still looks awesome, if I do say so myself.

on 5/18/2011 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I had given up all hope. Ever since I could remember I have had a problem with oily skin.
I was 3mths away from my wedding day and was having oily skin nightmares. I asked a question on the MUA discussion blogs and someone recommended this to me, I was like really?? So I went on youtube and saw some how to videos and decided to give it a try!

It works wonders!! It didnt work for me alone, I have to use a primer with this and I am oil free at lest 6 to 8 hours which is a lot concidering I would have a face full of oil within 30 mins of applying my make up!!

its worth a try!! It helped me.

on 5/10/2011 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have oily skin.I use this before I put a little powder on and my face doesnt get oily too much at all.I also notice that is helps shrink the pores.

on 5/6/2011 5:17:00 PM

I don't have super oily skin, but I have a definite shine on my nose after only a few hours of wearing makeup. I read the raves here on MUA so I decided to give it a go since other mattifiers aren't really helpful. For a few days I applied it in different ways (under moisturizer, over moisturizer, varying levels of product). It did not keep me matte for longer than 3-4 hours. Last week, I was going to a party so I decided to use it all over my face instead of just my t-zone area. It really didn't do much.

A couple days later I broke out like a mofo. My skin had been clear for at least 5 months (AMAZING for an acne-prone girl like me) but I screwed it up in only a couple of days. I had red spots all over my face that almost looked like hives. My skin wasn't smooth any more, it was bumpy and itchy. Took me about a day to realize it was the MOM. Now I'm worried about how long it'll take me to recover from this reaction and whether scars will remain.

NEVER AGAIN. I will only reach for this shiz when I can't poop.

on 5/1/2011 6:31:00 PM

again I HATE THIS PRODUCT WOULDNT SUGGEST TO USE IT
BURNED MY SKIN SO BAD :(

on 5/1/2011 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Probably too long of a review, but I've been using MOM for 2 weeks, experimenting with application and with several different foundations & primers and I want to give a fair review and how I've used MOM.

1st of all, I want to say that MOM is for making your face matte and for absorbing oil, it is NOT a PRIMER.

ME = medium beige coloring w/ yellow undertones, clear skin, very, very oily T-Zone. Oily in the AM, all day, and in PM. Can fry and egg on my T-Zone. Foundation slides off my nose/cheeks and clumps up along my nose/mouth area. HORRIBLE LOOK!!

I cut my MOM 4 to 1. 4 parts MOM and 1 part water and keep in a little travel bottle. Shake well before use. I use a make up wedge and soak one end in MOM and apply in a wiping/stipple motion on ONLY my T-Zone. I apply 2-3 coats, letting it dry in between coats. Making sure I spread it evenly. Let dry (I let mine dry 3-5 minutes) If you don't let this dry completly, it doesn't work properly. Yes, there is some white "dust" but primer totally takes care of this issue. (see below)

Then I apply primer. This is a MUST after experimenting. MOM makes your skin matte and leave a "texture" behind. I did not like MOM without primer. Primer smooths the MOM and I find that I'm using less primer with MOM. Plus, the white-ish cast/dust is covered with primer.

Then I apply concealer and foundation. I use the Studio ELF flat-top brush to stipple/buff my foundation in. It drags a little where the MOM is but nothing I can't deal with. Then I use either a little ELF HD powder or Rimmel Stay-Matte in Sandstone with the ELF powder brush.

Now here's the goodie: NO OILY FACE! No sliding of foundation & no oil showing through, blush stays where is should, nose isn't shiny at all. I blot my cheeks maybe once through the day where as without MOM, I would be blotting, powdering, cussin' about my oily face and reapplying foundation several times a day. I can't get over the "dewy" look my face has now. When I look in the mirror during the day, I expect to see my old usual oily face, I only see "dewy", just a natural look, not matte at all.

Here are some CONS I've come across:

*Must let this dry. Can add time to your make up routine.

*Primer is a must to smooth out MOM w/the rest of your skin.

*I can see some very little blackheads on my nose/cheeks right after applying. Not sure if this is clogging my pores or if the blackheads were always there and the white from the MOM makes them more apparent.

*Use only on T-Zone or where you have oil. Make the rest of my face too matte and dry.

Primers I've used w/MOM:
*Rimmel: didn't like w/MOM
*Monistat: didn't like w/MOM
*Avon Magix: didn't like w/MOM
*Claudia Stevens: works very well, nice and smooth
*Ulta Professional Primer: works very well, nice and smooth.
I think MOM works best with primer that is clear and has more "cones" that are needed for the smoothing effect.

Foundations I've used w/MOM:
*Bare Minerals, med beige: Yuck! Nothing makes this foundation work.
*Rimmel Clean Finish, soft honey: Ok--little too thick for me/hard to blend.
*NYC Smooth skin, deep beige: Ok--little too thick for me/hard to blend.
*Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin, soft honey: works great, little shiny for me.
*Cover Girl Clean Oil Contol, soft honey: WORKS THE BEST!!

For my skin, I will always have to use an oil-control formulation. I also think a foundation that is more liquid-y works best with MOM. The thicker the foundation the harder it is to blend over the MOM, even with the primer.

All in all, I really like using MOM. I had to experiment with application and foundations, but I love the outcome. I have only used drugstore foundations, and I can only imagine this will work better with some higher end oil-control foundations.
Thanks for reading.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

It"s been 4 hours since I did my make up and I have not HAD to touch up! I have just a little bit and I stress little bit of shine on my nose, but it doesn't look oily. I have a dew look in that area which I am not use to because I've always been so oily, but i like it.I applied a little powder to see if the MoM would continue to stand up to the job. I used CG Queen collection cream foundation today and I'll try it with the powder foundation tomorrow. If these results continue this will definately be a staple in my make up collection.

For what ever reason I can't post a seperate review so I'll put it here. It's Now April 27th at 9Pm and I am very happy with using this as a primer. I applied it today after washing my face and used my Iman cream to powder foundation and I must say that I was impressed! I had minimal shine and only blotted twice through the day and I really didn't have to it was more out of habit.I didn't like it with the powder foundation. My powder settled into my face and looked bad the same as it would with out the MoM. It works really well with cream and cream to powder foundation. I will definitely continue to use MoM as a primer. Just be sure that you DO NOT put this on your eyes.I got a bit on my right eye lid and it dried that section out resulting in a small crack.. Be careful to avoid the eyes.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products