April 23, 2014 | 1954 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method OCM

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 12:31:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

UPDATE: I truly believe the OCM has drastically improved the clarity/texture of my skin. I previously had large, congested pores and blackheads on my nose/cheeks and chin. After using the OCM for about 3 months now, I no longer have large pores on my cheeks, my blackheads are almost non-existant and my oil production has decreased dramatically. Thank you OCM!!!

I used to think that every liquid foundation broke me out because of the actual foundation, never really paying attention to the method I was using to remove it. Although I am reactive to certain foundation ingredients, after I learned to remove it properly, I have have had so few reactions to liquid foundation.

I use a recipe of 1 part EVOO to 3 parts Castor oil with a splash of jojoba and almond oil. My skintype is combo/oily and this formulation has never broke me out.

Regardless of whether I use liquid or MMU I will use this as a m/u remover first as it does an amazing job at getting all of my mascara off and gently, with very minimal rubbing required. I use a wet washcloth to remove the oil from my face and then follow up with my regular daily cleanser to remove the oily residue.

I can't ever see myself using another cleanser, especially when this one is so easy to DIY at home. I'm concerned about clean ingredients, and while there are some good oil cleansers on the market, why pay more $ for those when you can make it yourself and know every ingredient in it?

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2013 6:13:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I must confess, I couldn´t even do this method for a week, because soon it was clear, that my skin was going to be ruined, when I continued the OCM.
Reading about the OCM, I so wanted this to work for my skin.
FYI: My skin is dehydrated, sensitive, acne-prone, combo skin. I suffer from blackheads and my skin keratinizes too much, hence the congested pores and blackheads. I don´t have acne with large pimples or cystic acne, just hormonal breakouts and a general tendency to congestrd pores.
I´ve got huge problems with cleansing my skin, because even the mildest cleansers can wreck my skin and make it dry to the point, when my skin peels and feels like it´s cracking. Wearing sunscreen with spf 50 every day makes it important to cleanse my skin.
I tried the method only with oils, that were not supposed to be comedogenic. Castor oil was new to me, but I thought it safe.
I did the classical method, putting a mixture of 1/4 castor oil and 3/4 olive oil together and massaged it on my face. Then rinse with warm or hot water, maybe use a washcloth and you´re done.
This ruined my skin, but not by breaking out. My skin - and I had to find this out the hard way by using this method- refuses warm or hot water and washcloths or muslin cloths for cleansing. It gets so stressed, dry, flaking and red, you wouldn´t believe me.
I couldn´t believe it either as the water I used was not steaming hot or so and I used special organic muslin cloths.
I change the oils, using rosehip oil, which my skin likes, but no success either way.
I had to stop after several days or I would habe been able to peel my skin from my face in large flakes. My skin hurt and was a mess. I was lucky that my skin recovered again and I had no longterm effects on my skin from this. Reading other reviews, some people had to deal with scarring form breakouts or permanent damage of the skin.
Needless to say, that I recommend to be careful with this method if your skin is sensitive.
I certainly won´t try this again and although it worked wonders for some people, others may suffer from it.
Be aware of this facts.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by roqnroch

I was so excited to try the OCM after all the rave reviews I read online. Huge mistake! The first week was great. My skin looked and felt good . . . GREAT as a matter of fact. The second week didn't go as well as I started getting hard white blemishes all around my chin. Everything I read said that there is a period where your skin will need to adjust and that I should stick with it. So I did for about 3 months, but it just kept getting worse and worse.

Soon the white spots turned into huge red pimples that I couldn't get rid of. After 3 months I couldn't take anymore and stopped using it, but my skin has never been the same since. The only thing that has helped at all is Olay Blemish Control with Salicylic Acid Acne Cleanser. If I miss one night of washing my face, I wake up with new blemishes. Still now 5 months later, my skin is still not great and I doubt it ever will be.

So while this method may work for some, it does not work for everyone. Use with caution.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 9:58:00 AM More reviews by beautifulletdown15

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oil cleansing reviews range wildly- anything from “This destroyed my skin” to “this made my skin perfect and like a baby’s bottom.” If you try this method after reading a number of reviews, you’ll likely be terrified. Luckily, I am lazy; I basically read two glowing reviews and then immediately tried it. My skin was so awful at the time anyway that I had nothing to lose.

For the first couple of weeks I used this nightly with about 60% grapeseed oil and 40% castor oil. I’d massage for five to ten minutes or so, wipe it off with a warm cloth and tone afterwards with witch hazel (I was terrified of leaving any oil on my face and causing breakouts).After about a week my face started purging. There are a lot of mixed messages on how to deal with this and on whether or not your face even should purge. My forehead was covered in tiny bumps, my cheeks were breaking out and getting cysts along my jawline. I’m not a doctor, but I took this as a sign to reduce and then totally drop the castor oil. I’ve since changed to using a mix of grapeseed oil, apricot kernel oil and a couple drops of tea tree oil and no toner. In the mornings I’ll splash my face with water.

Make sure the oil you're using is non-comedogenic, and be ready to radically adjust/completely eliminate castor oil. It's a really harsh, deep cleansing product and frankly I feel like it's kind of unnecessary if you're oil cleansing every day...It's not like I dip my face in bacon grease and poop each morning, just some light makeup.

For any girls with acne prone skin- keep in mind that oil cleansing can balance your skin but it doesn’t treat active acne. I saw the most improvement when I added Bedtime for Breakouts to this routine every night. I’m not sure if that defeats the purpose or not, all I know is that my skin is better than it’s ever been. For the first time since I was 12 I can leave the house without makeup on. Good luck ladies!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by firekelpie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried... I really did. I read so many good things about using oils to clean your face, my skin is becoming less oily (compared to how it used to be in my teens/early twenties, so I wasn't as icked out as I would have been a few years ago at the idea of smearing oil on my face. Also, I was broke and the idea of buying a bottle of castor oil for a dollar sounded way better than spending $50+ to get some of the products that I used to use.

I had no few days of lovely, glowy skin. No, it's just been awful. When I started this method, I was breaking out quite a bit (probably stress related)... but now?? Holy crap... I have NEVER broken out this badly. And I stopped using my olive oil/castor oil mix WEEKS ago. I hope I can get my skin cleared up... I just spent about sixty bucks on a bunch of things, hopefully SOMETHING will work :( I mean it, this is really really bad.

If you're thinking of trying this, I would say start out with Burts Bees orange essence cleaner... It's in a gel-type formula, smells like an orange grove, and (for me at least) did some of the things people say the ocm does... I just couldn't use it every single day. But if you can, then you just *may* be someone who could do this... But I'd have a back up plan, just in case.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by hablagabrielle

***EDIT 9/14/13**** I've stopped reviewing face products and acne medications completely on all of the sites that I used to frequent (acne.org, MUA, etc) because my skin is absolutely perfect now. I haven't had skin like this since I was fifteen years old. My regimen is now completely different and I recommend it to everyone who asks because of how quick and easy it is. I do NOTHING. I don't touch my face, I don't put anything on it, I don't use any kind of soaps or oils or creams or cleansers or moisturizers. I leave it the heck alone, and it's evened itself out to the point that it is just as clear and soft as the skin on the rest of my body. Don't get me wrong, it took me three months to get to where I am now and there were a lot of tears shed and a lot of new eruptions in the first few weeks, but if you're tired of the OCM and of trying new products maybe just try leaving yourself alone. Just a suggestion for those of you still struggling with acne :)

I wanted so badly to love the OCM, I promise I really did. I love using only natural ingredients on my hair, face, body, and food! But, unfortunately, this is just not for me. I've been doing a variation of the OCM for five years, ever since high school: I used to just take a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil and smooth it over my face every morning under makeup to keep my skin healthy. I had baby skin for years because of this. Then, when I left for college, I had acne for the first time in my life--new whiteheads every day, huge cystic lumps, tiny clogged pores, blackheads, you name it! I started using olive oil on my face at night and sleeping with it on. I tried organic cold pressed coconut oil. This worked, again, for a little while. Then my worst breakout ever happened about four months ago. Since extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil were breaking me out every time I got even a drop on my face, I switched to sunflower oil. And then to jojoba oil. And then I added castor oil and started steaming and using the wash cloth and adjusting my methods every night. Some days I would wake up and my acne would be a little bit better, but most days I would wake up to minefields. I was afraid to go outside and spent every day in my house. My pimples were appearing around and on my lips and cheeks, places I had never in all my years of acne developed them before! I kept switching up my oils and quantities, knowing that, even if I was breaking out now, I just had to find the right combination and my skin would end up absolutely perfect.

Then one night I fell asleep after a long day before I had remembered to wash my face. I went to bed without any oils on my face for the first time in years. When I woke up, my skin was smoother, brighter, and much of the redness had gone down. Surprised but skeptical, I washed my face with a normal gentle cleanser for the first time since I can remember and applied moisturizer. My skin soaked up the moisturizer in under a minute. It was so dry that bits of my nose were flaking off. That was a week ago. Since then, I have cleansed my face once in the morning and applied moisturizer whenever I needed it. My skin looks better than it has in years and I'm so disappointed that this method didn't work for me, and even more so that I wasted so much time convinced that I just had to find the right combination. My skin, without the OCM, is dry, normal in regards to sensitivity, and not even prone to acne at all. Maybe the dryness in my skin is what caused the OCM to fail me, since I know that oil dissolves oil and replaces the skin's sebum and all of that. I suggest that, if you've been trying and the OCM isn't working for you, just try something else. Please.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 9:33:00 AM More reviews by chafi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use EVOO to clean my face every night and it works great for removing my makeup and cleaning my face with out over drying it. I follow up with cleanance cleanser and tretinoin cream. That has worked great to keep my break outs at a bare minimum

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2013 9:22:00 AM More reviews by concentrace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried OCM for two months now. It is probably the worst thing I ever did to my skin. I currently have a huge outbreak of folliculitis which started over my neck, jaw and has suddenly moved upwards to my cheeks. The large cysts are painful to the touch and nothing seems to be calming down the redness.

Initially I used a 80% organic first cold-pressed EVOO and 20% cold-pressed castor oil. My skin was soft and Dewey for the first two weeks. Then all hell broke loose. I decided to tweak with the ratios and trusted this was part of the purging process.

However the purging is now an all-out folliculitis outbreak that will take a long time to heal. I went to the derm for a prescription for doxycycline and topical benzaclin gel. Tis has not helped stopped the infection... I think OCM gave me a short period of soft skin but an unexpected hosts of problems.

Therefore, people who are prone to folliculitis should keep this in mind: OCM clogs up the hair follicles before it actually gets a chance to purge or correct skin problems. In the end, it's a dangerous risk to take for a single, working woman of 28 years old.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 8:20:00 AM More reviews by kmm82512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I understand that people have many varying experiences with OCM depending on their skin type, so I can only vouch for my own skin type. I hope for my review to help people with the same kind of skin as myself.
MY SKIN:
- Dry, especially on the nose, cheeks, and chin (extra dry/flaky in the winter, daily or 2x daily exfoliation needed)
- No acne at all, haven't had any in years
- Somewhat sensitive with slight redness on my cheeks
- Visible wrinkles on my forehead and under my eyes
MY ROUTINE:
I mix 1/2 tsp avocado oil with 1/4 tsp castor oil and massage the mixture onto my damp skin for 30 seconds. I then drape a warm (not hot!) washcloth over my face, steam my face for 1 minute, and wipe the oil off my skin. I rinse and re-warm the washcloth, steam for an additional minute, and then wipe any excess oil off. I follow up with Derma E Deep Wrinkle Reverse moisturizer with Peptides Plus, let that sink in to my skin for a few minutes, and then massage a drop or two of pure avocado oil over my moisturizer. I do all of this 3 nights a week, and I use a cream cleanser and exfoliant the rest of the time.
EXPERIENCE:
My overall experience has been wonderful! After only a month of OCM my skin is smoother and the area under my eyes is more hydrated than it has ever been, even in the middle of winter in a cold, dry region. I have severe hereditary dark circles that will most likely never be cured, so it's vital for me to keep the skin under my eyes hydrated and smooth for my concealer to stay on without creasing. I am happy to say that my skin is as hydrated as ever, and still acne-free.
TIPS:
- Use the right kind of oil for your skin! Avocado is good for dry skin, olive oil is good for all skin types, jojoba oil is good for acne-prone skin... and never use coconut oil, as it can clog pores. Do a google search to find info about other kinds of oils (grapeseed, almond, etc... there are many options out there).
- Experiment with the ratio of castor oil to your chosen conditioning oil. The dryer your skin, the less castor oil you should use.
- Don't change up your routine too drastically or too often. Give your skin time to adjust, if need be. It may take some time to find the right oil and the perfect castor-to-conditioning oil ratio, but chances are, it will be worth it once you figure out what your skin needs.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by MeggieBeth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Please please PLEASE don't do this if you are acne prone! I tried this and my skin looked amazing for about a week and a half... then disaster struck. I'm not just talking "Oh no, one zit before the big dance!" disaster, I'm talking Mt. St. Helen, Mt. Vesuvius, and that giant volcano in Iceland that no one can pronounce all exploded on my face. At once.

Before you start thinking that I didn't do everything carefully or tried different ingredients and mixes with TONS of thought and research, I did. Over three months. Promise. New cloth each night: check. Tried different oils/mixes: check. Ended up and the dermatologist: check (and an expensive check at that)! I wanted this to work so badly that I, too, ignored the warnings assuming that others simply didn't do it "right." Believe me, if you have any slight chance of getting acne, there is no "right" with OCM.

The "purge" is addictive, I'll give it that. My skin appeared to be improving like crazy, but the truth is that the effects are the same as what people describe when they talk about their first drug high. It never happens as well again and it ends up destroying your life, or in this case, face. With this method there is no way for the bacteria to go except deeper into the pores so what happens is DEEP, SWOLLEN, PAINFUL cystic acne and lasting scars and marks that never seem to heal. Also regular whiteheads, milia, blackheads, every kind of bad-head on my head.

Forgive me face, for I have sinned. It has been four months since I last abused you and I'll regret it forever.

I'm so sorry for those this also happened to. I'm so sorry for the people who don't take the warnings to heart. Really. Just go get some good face wash (Neutrogena Oil free acne wash has helped with the milia) and an oil free moisturizer (CeraVe facial lotion PM is a good one) and for your skin's sake STAY AWAY FROM OCM!

13 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No