July 29, 2014 | 1134 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2013 1:22:00 PM More reviews by judywapner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

At first, the OCM worked for me, but then my pores began to clog and my skin became weirdly bumpy. Also, I just was lazy and the oil would get all over my counter tops and leak from the bottles when I traveled. It just got to be a pain.

I switched to good old fashioned washcloth and Aveeno soap and my skin cleared right up. I also stopped using olive oil, as it seemed to heavy for my skin and wasn't absorbing. I switched to using sweet almond oil at night, and Avene lotion during the day (something my mom bought with Vitamin C and sunscreen in it)

I guess this method works for some, but I can't do it anymore.

-----GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH OCM-----

I have sensitive skin and I get tiny blackheads on my cheeks, nose and forehead. I've also been noticing the pores around my nose getting bigger as I age.

I read about the OCM in a novel about the Romans and how they used to slather their entire bodies with oil and then scrape it off...got me thinking!

I did lots of research before I started this and now I'm in week 5 with no problems to report!

I used a mix of caster oil and olive oil to start (the caster oil sounds gross, but thats the oil that actually does the cleaning work! You need to use it.) I used a ratio of maybe 75% caster oil to 25% olive oil. Sounds like a lot of castor oil, yeah, but I figured I should start strong to begin with and then lower the ratio later. At the end of the first week, I did get a few red bumps on my forhead and hairline, so I dropped the ratio to 50/50, then to 25% caster oil and 75% olive oil.

I use the OCM everyday, usually twice, morning and night (or if I've used it at night, I just put a hot towel on my face the next morning, wipe and apply a little more olive oil as moisturizer)

My method is this, get out two washcloths and run the water to the highest heat. I apply the oils to my face and lightly massage for a few minutes.(2-5) Then I wet one washcloth with hot water and set it on my face till it gets cool (thats like only 30 seconds), then I wipe. Then I wet the second washcloth, set that on my face another 30 seconds and wipe. Then I apply some olive oil as a moisturizer. If I'm going to be wearing makeup, I go easier on the olive oil here, since I don't want my makeup floating around on my face.

I put my oils in a little pill bottle, but I have been looking around for a pump, since that would be so much easier to dispense it.

Notes:
Olive oil as a moisturizer works amazing and makeup sits wonderfully on my skin when I've used it.

Yes, I even use the OCM on my eyes. it gets off ALL my makeup and I have never had it get in my eyes (I've even opened my eyes while they were slathered in oil)

Key to the OCM is getting the ratio right.

Also, some people actually ARE allergic to the oils and can't use the OCM...don't cry if you are one of them.

Try to think of the OCM as a face mask, instead of a face wash. The castor oil is STRONG. It can pull stuff out of your body. It's like a weird magnet oil. I have read of users massaging their face and suddenly they have all these little grains of sand under their fingers! Those are the blackheads that the caster oil has pulled out! I have never had anything that dramatic happen to me, but sometimes I feel a little thing and look down at my hands to see one little blackhead. YAY!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2013 9:17:00 AM More reviews by calooza

I've using EVOO for the last few months as a makeup remover before i cleanse with a regular cleanser at night.

I've used it before and notice more clogged pores, but i wasn't sure if it was because of EVOO or some other product i used at that time, so i tried it again, and never stopped :)

It takes off my eye makeup with no effort, and even Revlon Colorstay foundation from my face, no breakouts so far. I think it even made my skin so much better...

I take a small amount (i store it in a pump bottle) and massage into my skin for a few seconds. Then i take a paper towell/tissue and wipe it off. Then in the shower i use my regular cleanser to wash away any oilresidue.

I bought cold pressed castor oil today and i'm adding it to the EVOO because it seems to be very effective taking off dirt and oils from the pores, so i will update this soon... Hopefully i won't experiment such horrible breakouts from it as my skin has been finally ok in a few months. :)

___

UPDATE:
Adding castor oil was a disaster to me, and i dind't even had to wait weeks to realize it. It took only 2 days to get (painful) breakouts on my chin and cheeks, and little bumps on my forehead, where i never breakout, unless i do something wrong, which apparently was the case... so i stopped it until it got worse. It's taking a while for them to go away, but my skin is better now. ufff...

I'm scared of using it again. Castor oil goes deep down to your pores, which means it will take all the things in your skin deep down, and they get stucked in there. That's the real danger of using it. I dindn't even steam the face, and used a regular cleanser after... and the castor oil i bought was cold pressed and bio, so i really don't get it how it can be so effective on some people and didn't worked for me...

So, i'm using EVOO again by itself and it works wonders as before :) it's a cheap and effective way to completely remove my makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2013 11:50:00 AM More reviews by snoopy68

I have been using Albolene cleanser for several years, as I hate anything that foams or dries out my face. So, the other day I thought that instead of buying another tub of Albolene that I would make up a batch of oil to cleanse my face with. I mixed about 10% of hexane-free, cold-pressed castor, 90% EVOO, and 5 drops of pure Geranium oil (as I've read Geranium oil is great for skin rejuvenation). I slather in on my face, ensuring that I massage it into my skin very well. I've never felt actual debris coming out of my skin, as several reviewers have noted. I soak a washcloth in hot water, wring it out, let it cool down for a second, and then apply it to my face until it completely cools. Then I rinse the washcloth thoroughly and wipe the remaining oil from my face, concentrating on removing traces of oil from the hair and jawline, so I don't get whiteheads (that happened to my skin years ago when I tried the OCM). I must agree that my skin looks dewy, fresh, and moisturized. I only use the OCM at night to remove makeup. Afterward, I apply Roseseed Hip Oil and a little bit of Weleda Skin Food around my outer eyes, neck, and chest areas. In the morning, I simply use baking soda as a quick exfoliant. My routine is pretty simple. I am 45 years old and I am constantly complimented on my skin. I have very few lines. My worst complaint with this whole aging business is a few broken spider veins on my face, but overall I believe I have good skin. I tend to be a bit acne prone, however, OCM has never excerbated the issue. All I can say is give it a try and see if it works for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by cbatten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It seems like a lot of people use OCM as their actual 'cleanser'? Maybe what I'm doing isn't truly OCM but I learned this method when visiting family in Korea and it's always worked for me.

Step 1: Massage oil onto face to help dissolve makeup and any dirt/grime/oil trapped in pores from my daily activities. Use a clean cotton pad to gently remove the excess oil.

Step 2: Use a facial cleanser to remove the added oil from your face; avoid excessively hot water and unnecessary scrubbing with face cloths which can irritate the skin; pat dry.

Step 3: (Optional; I never use toners myself but my cousins do) Apply toner using a clean cotton pad.

After cleansing the face; you would continue with your skincare routine which typically looks like:

Morning: Serum/Treatments; Sunscreen; Moisturizer; Eye Cream; Makeup
Evening: (Occasional: Face Mask, Treatment or Exfoliation); Serum/Treatments; Moisturizer; Eye Cream

If you're on Tretinoin (Retin-A) like I am, then that is all you need to use in the Evening for your skincare. Fewer products is definitely better in this case; leave the fancy serums, treatments, lotions for use in the morning. If your skin is still adjusting to Retin-A, then a moisturizer at night may be necessary but it should be a no-frills moisturizer without any actives.

As for oils; my preferred oil during the cooler/dry months is Apricot Kernel Oil because it's really soothing. Even after washing it off with cleanser, your skin will feel soft and hydrated (but not overly so) since some of it will have been absorbed by your skin. The other oil I use is Coconut Oil which is more slippery, cooling and drying (after wash off) in contrast to Apricot Kernel Oil. I like to use it during the summer months when my skin doesn't need the extra hydration and because I like the smell of it! It smells justs like Coconuts :). I don't bother mixing either of my oils with anything else; they work perfectly fine on their own.

Overall, I think have really great looking skin for my age, even long before I started using Tretinoin to help maintain my skin now that I'm in my 30's. I'm constantly mistaken for being in my early 20's and while I'm sure part of that has to do with good genes, I think good skincare and a healthy diet helps. I will use oils to help clean my face forever! :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2013 10:11:00 AM More reviews by parkway

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I can't say I hate it, but I have sensitive and acne prone skin and I was told by my dermatologist to stay away from any oils. Even though this is just the cleansing agent which you'd rinse away later with other type of cleanser and water, but still... it's oil~ You have to massage the oil into your face for at least 30 seconds but less than 1 minute to dissolve makeups; oil will turn milky white as it emulsifies (add tiny amount of water and massage again BEFORE you rinse the cleanser out). If you skipped that step, you'd end up with clogged pores and horrible breakouts.
If you wear heavy makeups (sunscreen, primer, foundation, setting powder, blush, and bronzer), then this is your best choice to take makeups off; and also the only way to take stubborn mascara off in one step.
I later found this method not the best for me and replaced it with cleansing water (I only wear BB cream spf 40+). For the mascara and eye makeups, I'd still use a separate makeup remover (Neutrogena). For this Neutogena eye makeup remover, I always dampen the cotton pads with it and hold them on the eye lids for at least 15 seconds and lightly sweep across the lids without pulling the skin under.
Cleansing water provides mildest cleansing ability and adds lightest burden to your skin because you would not need to worry about the film most oil and cream makeup removers leave on your skin.
Back to the topic, I personally would avoid this oil cleansing method as I've tried multiple times and never really gotten any good results. However, this is the best way to remove all stubborn and waterproof makeups, so... just consider if your skin can tolerate the heavy and thick oil and if you have the patient to massage the product + finish off in the right amount of time, then you are good to go!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 8:29:00 AM More reviews by KJC1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For starters, I would like to say that I am a 32 year old who has had acne and redness since the teen years.Everything clogs my pores. I have HUGE pores. Even glycerin clogs my pores because it is film forming(my skin NEEDS to breathe or else it freaks immediately). Silcones make me break out in white bumps. Other moisturizers and soaps just give me acne cysts and whiteheads, black heads. In comes Hemp Seed Oil. My first time trying oil cleansing I made a really huge mistake...I involved water. I don't know how everyone else uses OCM but I'll tell you...my skin BROKE OUT so much from it when I involved rinsing with water, or wetting my face before using the oil. . I will also tell you that I am sitting here with uninflamed, perfectly clear, bumpless, blackheadless skin, with NO redness at all. Like matte finish. Yes, I am a man and yes I still want perfect skin like anyone else. NOW I OCM again BUT...I take hemp seed oil to my DRY face and massage it in to small areas. I literally have tiny grains of hardened oil coming out of my pores as I do it. I wipe each section with a dry towel as I go. I continue massaging oil in until I am getting no more grittiness on my hands. Do NOT rinse with water. Just go to bed. Or go on about your day. Hemp seed oil will fully absorb within 10-20 minutes and your skin will not look greasy. I can't believe I have clear skin for the first time in my life. My other tips to those of you like me, who have suffered with bad skin for many years?? DO NOT EVER wash with drying OTC soaps. IF you must wash your face to gently exfoliate and cleanse with something else (I do every couple days) USE GROUND OATMEAL (colloidal oatmeal). Grind some whole (not instant) oatmeal in your coffee grinder and add water to it. It is an amazing cleanser and has moisturizing properties. DO NOT use moisturizer. SInce re-starting OCM with Hemp Seed Oil ...i have clear, wrinkle-less skin with no imperfections. Literally. Just don't use water!!! Let your skin breathe!! Never use regular moisturizers, or cleansers. There is no adjustment period. It just works. You should never get more pimples when you start...only see your present ones disappear!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2013 5:51:00 PM More reviews by jen17881

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got sucked into the OCM hype last year. I've always had decent skin with dry patches here and there, and no more than a zit or two at a time. I was trying to clear those up and tried different things... enter the OCM. I tried it for several weeks, experimenting with multiple different oils, always making sure to remove them very well with a warm washcloth. All I can say is, my skin was never that hydrated... nor did it ever break out so horribly. I got zits in areas like my cheeks and jaw where I had never, ever broken out before. Needless to say, I was horrified. It took my skin months to recover, and I am left with scarring that I had never suffered from until using the OCM.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2013 3:31:00 PM More reviews by sephilli

I have read various sites about the ratio to use, and I decided on a 1:3 (castor oil : EVOO) ratio in the end. After a couple weeks, I noticed a new pimples starting on my cheeks, chin and around my nose. - just little small ones. These gradually turned into smallish whiteheads. I haven't had these many blemishes since I was in my late teens. Will not use again - now I need to figure out what to do with all of this castor oil...

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by VickyJane23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had been reading up on ingredients in cleansers, and come across a lot of negative articles on parabens, SLS etc and I really wanted to try an all natural skin regime. I have oily skin that can break out easily, but it's also sensitive, can get red with certain products etc. so I thought I would give the OCM a go...biggest mistake I could make!. I wanted it to work so badly because it made my skin glow like never before in the first 2/3 weeks, then all of a sudden my face was red with a weird bumpy texture and I broke out in spots all on my cheeks, jawline, chin and forehead (hasn't been that bad since I was 12/13, I'm now 22!). I then tried adding tea tree oil in thinking maybe it wasn't killing enough bacteria, this just made my skin a little more dry but did nothing to help the spots so I gave up. I am now trying to restore my skin back to how it was using La Roche Posay's gel cleanser and effaclar duo cream, I'm praying these will work! In the mean time I'm still in search of a natural cleanser, because I hate the fact the cleanser I'm now using is basically all chemicals, including SLS. If you are not acne prone then I'm sure this method would work wonders for you since it really does make your skin glow, however it seems this either destroys skin or makes it the best it has ever been so it's a massive risk to take, unfortunately the risk didn't pay off for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by GlowBrite

Acne prone skin BEWARE!

UPDATE: My skin still has deep acne along my cheeks and jawline. I've been on epiduo cream for 6 weeks and its gotten worse. Has anyone found a way to clear their skin after trying OCM?!!

I have had acne since middle school and I am now 25. It became so persistent and severe that I went on accutane last Feb. after 6 months of treatment, my skin was virtually flawless. I hadn't had one single blemish or blackhead for 6 months and I was thrilled with the results. I read amazing reviews about the oil cleansing method and since my skin was doing so well, I thought this would kick it up a notch and make it glowy. I used the recommended ratios for sensitive skin with castor and organic sunflower oil and followed directions strictly (steaming with a clean towel several times to remove all excess oil). At first I thoughtI could feel gunk coming out of my pores as I massaged (as most reviews state). A few days in, my skin became dry and pink but I figured I was just adjusting. I attempted this for shy of 2 weeks and honestly only gave up because it was time consuming and I wasn't terribly impressed. 1-2 weeks later is when trouble arised. My entire forehead turned into tiny scaley bumps. There was not one clear pore on my forehead and it almost felt like someone had plastered it because the bumps were all touching. I then began getting deeper nudules under the skin all over my cheeks and chin and even to the jaw line. I started raiding my old acne creams and face washes, using clay masks, apple cider vinegar, benzoyl peroxide, you name it. I was able to get rid of the tiny forhead bumps with lots of gentle exfoliating (Jane Iredale Magic Mitt!). Now I'm still fighting larger cysts on my cheeks. To have finally achieved clear skin after a long journey with accutane, I was crushed to see it all taken away with a few rounds of the OCM. At this point I had tried clearing it on my own for over a month. Devastated, I went back to my derm. and confessed that I clogged every single pore on my face by washing it with oil. She looked at me like an idiot, referenced the commercial "don't believe everything you hear on the internet ,and gave me tons of samples of Epiduo. This is a combination of benzoyl peroxide and adapalene. Basically the adapalene unclogs pores and exfoliates while the BZ kills bacteria. I have been applying this nightly for about 2 weeks now. Unfortunately my skin is getting worse (which is normal). This is all of the buried oil being purged. I am praying that this will clear my skin again for good but they say it can take 12 weeks. Otherwise I may need another round of accutane. Long story short this is the WORST thing I have EVER done to my skin. I should have known by the name alone. Please be extremely careful with this and down right avoid it if you've finally achieved clear skin with accutane. Trust me it is horrible to have the small time with clear skin taken away :(

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No