November 28, 2014 | 1793 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2012 9:57:00 PM More reviews by anna408726

I am currently using generic Retin A Micro 0.04% gel, a transition from Differin gel 0.1% due to Differin being ineffective on my combo/sensitive skin. Generic tretinoin tends to cause more irritation than the brand name which I have realized by using this about a year ago and immediately stopped using because of it. Out of being desperate, I decided to give RAM a try again, but with a ratio of 50:50 in conjunction of my Cethaphil moisturizing cream. It has been 1 week and I have already seen improvement! No irritation, no redness, slight dry skin and a couple of actives but are literally gone the next day. I also use clindamycin gel 1% in the mornings. My routine: Wash my face with water, pat dry, wait 20 mins and apply clindamycin. At night I use FAB (can get it at Sephora) to remove makeup and cetaphil gentle cleanser. 30 mins later, RAM with Cetaphil moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2012 8:00:00 PM More reviews by msponn10

I've been using the 0.1% for about three months now, and the first month was soooo terrible. I would get these big red pimples with white heads on them, ya know the ones that really hurt, along with the excessive peeling of the skin.The first two weeks, nothing really changed, but then after a month my face broke out so much. HOWEVER, now I feel like my skin is much clearer . The packaging said that results would be seen in 6-8 weeks, but if you dont see results, be patient. It'll be worth it in the end. Don't skip your dose. I forgot my Rein-A micro at home when I was traveling for a week, and I broke out, so always remember to apply it !
AM Routine:
Biore Ice Cleanser
Elta MD SPF46 Ultra Clear Loition

PM Routine:
Biore Ice Cleanser
Pea Size amount of Retin-A Micro

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2012 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Yessuhfosho

I've been using this product for a little over 2 and a half months now and it hasn't done much. At first it just stung a bit, then my skin started peeling like CRAZY, and this was during harsh winter months too, so peeling X2. I couldn't even smile or my face would crack/peel and had to take a small bottle of Spectro Acne-Prone moisturizer to school and apply after every period, and then my face would look like I slicked 5 pounds of oil on it and my face isn't even that oily. I then started using Olay classic moisturizer and the peeling started to stop and now it only peels around my nose area, and my face is red under the eye area. Although it is doing ABSOLUTELY nothing for my acne scars (mostly on my cheeks), it has helped a lot with the acne I had and now only have scars with a FEW small pimples here and there. I also must add that the pump bottle it comes in is great because it gives me just the amount I need (2 pumps). Overall I think this product just needs time so if your patient enough (I know I am) try it.

UPDATE: Alright, so it's been six months and I know a lot of you will be disappointed to hear, but it is my fault that it hasn't worked to the best of its ability. This is because after the 4 and a half month mark I gave up. This is because I was so stressed out and then a couple more pimples grew because of my stressing, but I blamed it on the Retin- A Micro and stopped using it for the 5th month. During the 5th month I didn't see as many pimple as I thought I would if I was off Retin- A, but I did grow some. At the beginning of this month though (the sixth month) I started using it again and having started this month with only scars on my cheeks and two large pimples, now that I look at my skin, I can tell that the two large pimples are almost gone and the scars are very small. On top of that, the skin that had very small pimples or nothing at all looks great, and VERY clear (except my nose which will always have problems [it's just oily and a little red on the sides]). But other than this, I think that by the end of the summer IF I STICK TO MY REGIMEN, (and remember to moisturize EVERY morning or it will turn into pie crust again) I will be pretty much clear :) I will update in about 3 months :) or maybe once after each month.... :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2012 10:49:00 PM More reviews by peanut32

LOVE it. I think this is the best acne/wrinkle treatment ever. So much less irritation than with traditional retin-a cream or gel which made my skin burn and bright red. I use the .04% gel.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 9:13:00 PM More reviews by Kimberlyj33110

Worked wonders for me. Cost me $60 through my insurance, and the tube lasted 4 months. $15 a month for clear skin is worth it to me :) my skin is now at the point where I can apply it every other night and i still be breakout free. My skin dosent seem to tolerate ANY amount of benzoyl peroxide, so my options were limited. I have tried several OTC retinols that worked wonders for my skin, but I needed something more effective. I graduated from Philosophy Help Me (thanks to the SA at Ulta a little over a year ago introduced me to the acne benifits of retinol), to Derma Doctor Poetry in Lotion ( great product but a bit pricy) My doctor recommended RA after I mentioned how much I loved the smoothing effects the retinol products gave alongside my Clyndimycin(spelling? It's an anti- biotic for acne).

My Regimine: I apply it every other night, mixed with Philosophy Miracle Worker moisterizer. Off nights i just use BB serum & moisterizer. I remove my makeup with Makeup cleansing wipes (usually Olay), use my Clairasonic Mia w/cetiphil cleanser, and apply Beyond Belief Vitamen c+ Anti Oxident serum (AMAZING stuff by the way,see review). I wait 20 minutes, and then apply my Retin A-micro-miracle Worker combo. I sometimes use good ol' Cetiphil Moisterizer in place of the MW, which I might switch back to bc MW is so damn expensive.

UPDATE : My nose and under eye area as of late have really fallen victim to the Retin-A flakes :( So, I have recently been applying Watt's cold press argan oil after cleansing, and then doing my RAM MW combo. I also incorporated DDF's glycol toner into the mix in the mornings all over and at night on the flakey areas where I
have temporarily stopped applying my RAM. It seems to be working, will update if needed.

If you can "weather the storm" of at least 2 months of drying, flaking, redness, and irritation, get in the habit of daytime sunscreen (which you probably do anyways) frustrating trial/errors of if/when,mixing it with a moisturizer,how often to apply,etc,ect. Try it :) The results are unmatched compared to anything else I have tried.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2012 2:01:00 AM More reviews by monicaandree

Let me start by saying that I am 30 years old, so maybe I am just not seeing huge results because I am so young. With that said, I have been using retin-a micro for about 6 months in tandem with Duac for acne. My dermatologist instructed me to use Duac at night and retin-a during the day, but I have found the retin-a to be too opaque to wear with makeup, so instead I just alternate nights. For the first 3-4 months I peeled like CRAZY with the retin-a micro. I mean, it was awful. Skin was peeling off of my shin, cheeks and forehead, even my undereyes. I stopped using my glycolic acid peel and focused on moisterizing and exfoliating with the Olay Pro X brush and that helped a bit. After 4 months of using the retin-a, the peeling has stopped and my skin has a lovely glow to it. When I wake up in the morning after using it, my skin is soft and supple. I have noticed an overall youthfulness and glow to my skin, and a slight reduction in fine lines. I smoked for 12 years before quitting almost 2 years ago, and I am seeing the lines around my mouth disappear. I am going to start using this more under my eyes in the hopes that it will keep the fine lines away from there. Overall, it is my understanding that using retin-a for years will keep skin youthful, so I will also probably start using it on my neck. For now, I am appreciating the glow that it gives my skin, as it keeps cell turnover going fast. One thing, be prepared to shell out major cash if you don't have prescription coverage. I paid less than $30 with my insurance, and when I was laid off a month ago, I stocked up because without insurance this costs over $300 a bottle! One bottle has lasted me for 6 months so far, and it is still going.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2012 4:57:00 PM More reviews by redredred1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just started the medication last week along with a topical antibiotic and whitening cream.

First day - I used all 3 on my face. It was too much for my face to handle.

This is the Fifth day - I've stopped using all three and have just used the Retin-A-micro at night.

so far my face is TOTALLY BROKEN OUT. It is totally red like a tomato and all the tiny pimples underneath are now living on top of my face. All of them. My face is "riddled" as a friend commented.

My regime:
Morning - Cetaphil facial wash + Aveeno spf 15 moisturizer.
Night - Cetaphil facial wash + wait 30 minutes + RAM (small amount) every other night.

I'm thinking of changing my routine to include moisturizer 30 minutes after applying RAM.

My face is so completely red I'm thinking of reducing the amount to every 3 days.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Megs1211

So here is an update from my last review back on Jan. 1st.
I have now been using Retina A Micro for 4 months now.
The redness is diminished completely, and so has the discomfort/burning sensation my face had. I still use it every night, on occasion taking a night break.
My skin is not nearly as dry as it was, not peeling like a sunburn. However, it still is dry. I exfoliate twice a week and use a really good moisturizer to help.
My cystic acne has been gone for about 1.5 months and has yet to return! I still get the odd pimple now and then (mostly around certain times) but nothing major. My blackheads are getting a lot smaller, and in some areas are gone. My skin has never felt soo smooth, and looked so flawless. I still have some red pigmentation areas, that I am hoping will fade with time. Overall I am very much happy with this product and strongly recommend it. I can only hope two months from now the dry skin will be much less, and my skin that much more youthful and flawless.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by XxPRINCESSAxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Other

***UPDATE 3***

I haven't used this since I last updated from attempting to use this again. As stated below, that was a horrible mistake. Even more horrible are the lasting effects of thinning out my skin. Although I've always struggled with acne, it was never THAT bad, although at the time I thought it was. They were minor breakouts (before Retin-A) that I could quickly get under control. I want to remind you that prior to Retin-A I had got my skin clear, and only had a tiny TOTM bump when I went to see the derm about indented scarring, NOT acne, I had otherwise perfect (for me) skin. Since attempting Retin-A and discontinuing it, ANYTIME I have a skin irritation, acne, dry patches, etc, it always always always leaves not just a dark but a BLACK scar on my face. This never ever happened to me before using Retin-A, neither did the excessive bleeding or scabbing that now occurs with skin irritations. I felt the need to update this as I was looking up new skin care products and realized this product is the reason for my new concerns. Prior to this my acne always healed eventually. While this can no longer be considered a cause of my acne (hormonal, I believe), it is certainly the culprit for thinning and altering my skin so that it is now highly sensitive and extremely scar prone. A word of warning - I know it says it takes time to work, but if you experience extremely bad effects, please discontinue use immediately. My scarring makes me want to cry just thinking about it. If anyone can offer me any suggestions for the above issues, please send me a msg. Thanks

***UPDATE 2***
I gave this another try, thinking that it was washing with a Dove bar while using this that caused the terrible acne - not the case. For some reason this gives me horrible, under the skin, cystic acne, as well as whiteheads. This combined with peeling, bloody, scabby skin. Additionally, it leaves scars like no other, I am going to find the appropriate way to dispose of this so I don't try using it again. I don't know how this product can ruin my skin, it has left such terrible dark scars from the acne it caused. My doctor says this is a great product, but it doesn't work for everyone, clearly not in my case because of all the hyperpigmentation. After one use my skin is sooo smooth, but repeated uses leaves this nightmare skin. I hope I can clear it up soon, its so embarrassing. I have so many dark scars and have to use full coverage products now -- and layer them! It's so time consuming and unfair. Not a nice sight :'(

**UPDATE**
I have since discontinued using this product. I experienced breakouts of all types (cystic, whiteheads), which were not a problem prior. Additionally, it left horrible black scarring, I wanted to cry everytime I looked in the mirror without makeup. I had black scars, active acne + bloody scabs, I was actually putting polysporin on my face.

I have gone back to my original routine to get my skin clear, and added the Clinique Dark Spot Corrector. I went out to the store without makeup yesterday - something that was unthinkable a month or two ago. My life was miserable with the dark scarring, and whatever skin smoothing benefits I experienced with Retin-A were not worth it. I must admit, after the acne clears up, I may experiment with Retin-A again. However I am certain the dark scarring was a result of this product as my skin is now clearing up after discontinuing it. Use with caution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started using this (0.04%) at the beginning of December - here is my experience so far:

I started out using this daily on my entire face (avoiding eye area), 30 mins after washing my face at night.
This was fine for the first few nights except I started to experience the following: itchy/burning/flaky eyelid (I must have touched my face with the Retin-A, and then my eyelid, thereby transferring the product to my eyelid); and EXTREME flakies all over my face, esp at the jawline/chin area; my entire face started to burn, became so sensitive and anything applied to it stinged (moisturizer even)

How I resolved these issues:

[+] started using once every 3 nights (sometimes longer in between)
[+] protecting sensitive areas like eye area and nostrils with Johnson's baby oil gel
[+] applying a light moisturizer after right after cleansing sometimes (30 mins before Retin-A)
[+] Using Olay Pro-X face brush to exfoliate (REALLY helped with flakies)
[+] washing my face AS SOON AS I WAKE UP
[+] moisturizing with oil during the day sometimes, if I'm at home, this helped calm my face down and also helps remove some of the flakes

Like the previous reviewer, I am noticing a bit of extra oil production, but only around my nose. I experienced a few breakouts, but I don't know if it's due to this product since I have been using it somewhat infrequently. So far, I am yet to experience any actual results, but it hasn't been that long, and I will definitely update later on. I added my review now to help anyone new to the product with some of my experiences starting out, so they can avoid some of my mistakes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by luxy77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've only been on Retin A Micro for 3 weeks, but so far so good. I use the .04 gel every other night and have not experienced any drying, redness, or peeling whatsoever. I have noticed a significant increase in the oiliness of my skin, which is already naturally oily, but also an increase in smoothness with my tone slowly evening out. I expect things to even out even more and my skin to continue to improve down the line, but am extremely happy that I have not had any "purging" thus far and absolutely no break outs.