July 31, 2014 | 1257 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Bonder Rubberized Basecoat

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2012 8:01:00 AM More reviews by MmmQuinn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love bonder. I use this in conjunction with OPI Chip Skip and SV, and my nail polish would last for days if I let it (I change often)! It provides a sort of "Sticky" base for the nail polish and so far, I haven't had many (if any) manicures come off in sheets while using this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by curlyhairchick369

this is a WONDERFUL basecoat, and i dont know why anyone wouldnt like it. it dries in seconds, and feels really cool and rubbery when it dries. this, along with my seche vite top coat, keeps my manicure on for more then a week!!! thats CRAZY. also, when i took off my manicure, my nails look a lot stronger and healthier then when i didnt use a basecoat. my nails have grown a lot too since i started using this. i cant even say enough good things about it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 11:02:00 AM More reviews by finished10dnails

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love Orly Bonder! This is the best basecoat I have ever used - it creates a slightly sticky base for polish and gives my manicures extra long wear time. Bonder has a yellowish color but it doesn't stain my nails. I apply Bonder to all 10 nails, wait a few seconds, and then paint my nails.

You do need to clean the threads on the bottle every so often, as the product left from swiping the brush will build up and make the threads sticky.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2012 2:06:00 AM More reviews by EmilyTheShopaholic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my everyday, go-to basecoat. I like the rubbery feeling after it dries. It grips the polish and aids in a smoother application. I don't think it necessarily makes my polish last any longer, but I also work with my hands a lot so I don't know if there is a product out there that could keep my polish from chipping after a couple days. It prevents staining on my nails and makes for a great lacquer application, so it's pretty much everything you want in a basecoat. It does have a bit of a yellowish tint, but I've never noticed any change in polish color from it. I find that it works best if you apply this product and then wait about 10 minutes before you apply your first coat of polish. Too soon or too late and it doesn't grip as well.

I definitely DO recommend this product and will purchase it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by tinaesq

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This bottle has a bit more product than other brands. I usually use china glaze as my basecoat but i was running low. I was a bit hestant to get this based on the reviews but its been pretty good. just like my CG, i get great wear, no chips no peeling. i usually change my polish every 3 days.

But, this does not prevent staining, not even a little. I usually do two coats of base when i use a color i know will stain. that works with CG, but not orly.

Orly did surprise me by being anti- streaking compared to CG. polishes that are streaky at the first coat are less so with orly. Not a streak solution but helpful on some polishes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by kawanii

Bought this to try since I've heard good reviews on it. This bottle gets you through quite a bit. I've had it for almost a year and I'm not even halfway done. Just one coat and I am good for a basecoat. This keeps my polish for a week's wear with minimal chipping at the sides. Personally, I'm okay with it because I love how it feels once you apply it and it dries super fast.

I can't really compare with other base coats because I've never really tried other ones. Personally, I dont plan to unless another base coat with awesome reviews wins me over to try it and I notice a significant difference. I just absolutely love how it dries so fast.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2012 7:34:00 AM More reviews by thespacecowgirl

I used one bottle of this for a few years. It isn't horrible (hence why I didn't bother switching to something else), but I don't think it made any positive difference in the life of my manicure. The only thing that impressed me is that a single bottle lasted so long; I'm having better lasting power with Sally Hansen Advanced Hard as Nails now, and it's not even intended as a b/c.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2012 4:09:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

*Update August 2012: Unfortunately I have to lower my rating down to a 3, as I am fairly certain that this was the cause of my staining/yellowing and peeling tips. It was also a little bit finicky in use since I had to make sure I really waited for it to dry in order to prevent the nail polish from wearing away faster. I would no longer repurchase.

Product's Claims: True or False?
1) Grips Polish for Lasting Adhesion: True
2) Prevents Wear For Up To Two Weeks: Moderately True

Packaging:
Bonder is very nicely packaged. It has a cylindrical frosted glass container, absolutely no square edges can be found on this thing. The smoothness of the bottle makes it feel more comfortable in my hands while opening and closing the bottle. The handle is almost as long as the bottle and is made of some type of rubber material. The directions and product info are easily read on the bottle as well. My one issue with the handle is that, for some reason, it feels a bit uncomfortable. I don't know if it's that it's a bit too short or if it's because of the pattern on the rubber, but it can be a bit hard for me to open sometimes and can rub up against my skin a bit and cause some redness. I have numerous polishes from the Canadian Quo by Orly line that has the same rubber cap but with added vertical ribbing along it and do not experience this issue. The brush is long and slender, and I do wish it was slightly shorter and wider, but it's not a big issue. The base comes in a separate cardboard box which is entirely unnecessary.

Formula:
The base coat has a slight orange tint but it does not appear on my nails, at least not enough for me to notice it. It goes on very shiny and by the time it dries it looks pretty well matte. Once dry it definitely does have a strange feel to it on the nails, I guess almost rubbery. It's a very watery/thin consistency that can pool into the cuticles a bit, so be cautious while applying it to prevent getting too much on the nail. It dries very quickly as well. Bonder is 3-Free as well, although this has never been something that I've paid attention to in polishes.

Performance:
I'm not blown away by its ability to keep my polishes on. I get the same wear with this as I do any other base coat I've used, but I do notice better wear over nails that happen to be a bit weak and somewhat peeled/torn on the edges - with other bases those nails would show chips on the edges. When my nails are in good condition, which is most of the time, chipping isn't really an issue. My problem is more tip wear, and this doesn't seem to be that much better. With any base I normally get 1-2 days of wear before I get any tip wear and then the tips stay at about the same level of wear for the rest of the week. What I do really love though is how strong my nails feel since I've been using this. I was previously using Essie's All In One Base and it seemed to really weaken my nails, as do all treatment products for me. Bonder doesn't claim to help strengthen or moisturize nails, but I feel like it's having this type of an effect on my nails, or at least allowing my nails to get back to their natural strength even while wearing polish. My nails also seem to be growing much better lately, and this is really the only change in my nail care other than reintroducing a nail buffer (which I've used once). In terms of the look of my polishes in conjunction with Bonder, the polishes come out just as shiny, although they don't seem to come out any smoother or more even than with other bases or when applied to naked nails.

Bang for your Buck:
18ml/0.6oz for around $10CAD at Sally Beauty Supply. It can look a bit pricey as an initial payment but the amount of product given is quite generous. I can easily see this lasting at least 5-6 months with weekly use or less.

Final Consensus:
It's nothing special in terms of maintaining my nail polish on the nail when compared to other bases I've tried, but I like the rubber effect and my nails seem to be really appreciating the formula overall - in this aspect I am quite pleased and surprised! I'd likely still try out other bases, but I will likely repurchase and will play around with it to see if I can get even better wear from it.
* Overall Rating: 5/5
* Price: 2/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by Sweetdreamberries

I would buy this again if only it prevented staining.
For me, a good base should truly act as a "base protection" for my nails on top of being adhesive to any polish that I paint on top of it.
This still allowed some of my darker polishes to stain my nails.
So I will be looking further~

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 4:57:00 PM More reviews by christineannmarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have tried EVERYTHING ON THE MARKET with the hopes of extending the life of my polish past a day or two. This is the first product I have found to actually make a difference!!!