MAC #190 Foundation Brush

4.3

on 12/30/2010 7:21:00 PM

As a novice, this was my first foundation brush and introduction to makeup tools. At the time, it was like my holy grail - I liked the idea of "painting" my face and was inspired by all the makeup artists who would do my makeup with this sort of brush. But it takes so painstakingly long to finish my face and the result is medium to full coverage so if that's the look you want, it's a good brush. However, if you're like me and prefer a "barely there" look, this is not the most suitable brush to use. I've since moved on other brushes, but I still keep this one handy for thicker foundations.

on 11/20/2010 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this brush a while ago but never reached for it mostly because it produced streaks across my face no matter how random, small, gentle the strokes were. Back then, I used NARS Sheer Glow and I much preferred using my fingers or the MAC 109 brush. But just recently, I bought the Estee Lauder Double Wear Light and I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to apply it properly. I used the 109 and 187 brushes, my fingers - nothing worked, my foundation was just not crackalackin' with me. I figured why not give the 190 brush a try and it gave me the. most. flawless. finish. evar. You definitely have to use small, random strokes with this brush and patting does help, too. I'm not exactly sure if I would repurchase though, as much as I love this brush. It's so, so expensive ($42 USD) and I'm sure other brands, like Sigma, produce equal quality brushes at a MUCH cheaper price.

on 11/18/2010 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Can't complain. This is a dense but flexible brush with synthetic bristles, which makes it perfect for liquid product application as its hairs will absorb far less product than natural fibers would. Overall it "coats" the skin with foundation really well, doing justice to whatever coverage each foundation claims to provide, and the streaking is minimal on me - nothing that can't be fixed with an additional 2 or 3 careful swipes. Would repurchase.

on 11/2/2010 12:10:00 PM

I have to agree with hellokitty05 on the 'rubbery' feeling. I clean my foundation brush after every application, so it isn't even as though it's loaded with product. I just hate this brush, as it requires a certain amount of adjusting and effort to actually get the product on my face and even then, it's streaky and uneaven. I think i tried to love this brush more because of what i paid for it but i'm more than happy to toss it now. After attempting the flawless look with several primer and foundation combinations, it just never worked. I think i'll stick with my 168, which gives beautifully flawless results.

on 10/30/2010 1:26:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This was the first makeup brush from MAC I ever bought, I loved it so dearly for so many years. It is a dream to apply cream and liquid foundations on with- especially the thicker ones.

Overall: 5/5
Price: A tad high, but worth it for the quality. There are however cheaper brushes that go for less.
Rebuy: No. But only because I prefer a flat topped brush for foundation applications now.

on 10/18/2010 3:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I bought this brush 2 years ago and never really used it till last year. I used it everyday and i dont think i was very ruff with it but for some reason it fell apart. The bristles literally just fell completely off the handle. I bought a replacement for now from mark and i like it more.

on 10/13/2010 1:37:00 PM

I got this after the mua suggested I use it w my new pro long wear foundation I'm actually really disappointed in thus brush I use very lil foundation and it makes it real streaky I have to go back and use another brush or sponge and if I have to do that might as well just use a sponge and take this back ...... I've tried diff way of applying it w/o no success ! I have a Sephora and organic one that's cheaper and work better it's not the price but if it worked I would use ;( but since it doesn't it's going back ! Sorry Mac !

on 9/27/2010 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I love love love this brush. My Chanel Teint Innocence foundation looks perfectly applied (and natural) ever since I got this brush. Yes, your liquid foundation will look a bit streaky when you first apply it with this brush but it takes all of one minute to get it blended perfectly. What I do is roughly dot my face with foundation and then blend outwards with short brush strokes.

Anyway, I've had this brush for about six months (with almost daily usage) and it hasn't lost a single fibre. In fact, it's pretty much in the same condition as when I bought it.

on 9/23/2010 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using some non-brand foundation brush for a bit now, and I just purchased a special edition kit that included this, and I am in LOVE! This applied my Revlon Colorstay foundation so beautifully. I had tried MAC's stippling brush before this, but it just didn't work! I am so happy :) I have been eyeing this brush for almost 6 months, and I finally saw a good deal in the Cosmetic Company Store, which is an outlet that sells MAC/Bobbi Brown/Clinique/Estee Lauder (all of which are owned by Estee Lauder). I had bought a Special Edition brush kit last year for almost 50$ and the same one was at the outlet for 34$ !! SO...back to the brush, it really is worth it, it's my favorite now :)

on 9/23/2010 9:27:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is the only MAC brush that has dissapointed me. Even if you use a small ammount of foundation it really gives a cakey result. In order to blend foundation properly, you'll have to use a second brush (such as #187) or a sponge. It costs 24Euro, it's made of synthetic hair and it's also very hard to clean. Still prefer sponges for applying foundations.