MAC #190 Foundation Brush

4.2

on 2/23/2011 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Had this for four years, its been used every day, and it has served me well. If you look after these brushes and clean them monthly there is no reason they should need to be replaced! Thats why we call it an investment :)

on 2/21/2011 5:12:00 PM

I have used this for years and its so soft, never sheds, doesn't streak my foundation and washes and dries beautifully. But I would never buy it again. Why? It is horribly overpriced. I just found a $3 ELF brush that is just as good...and I'm very serious about applying my foundation (I'd never dream of using my fingers or some other primitive application so a good brush is paramount). In a nutshell, this is a great little brush but you really can find ones just as nice at a much lower price.

on 2/10/2011 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I feel like the 190 gets a lot of flack. It's a traditional foundation brush and when you're using it, it feels a lot like you're actually painting. There are no gimmicks or trickery here. No stippling and swirling, no buffing, just a good old paintbrush for your face. That's what I like about this brush. I feel like other brushes work well with certain types of foundation. The 187 works well for me with light foundations, dense flat-top brushes (like the Sigma F80) work well with heavier foundations. I've found that this brush works with all of them...light, thick, medium, gel, cream, or whipped. Since I know this and could essentially use it every day, but have other foundation brushes I enjoy, I tend to use this when I feel like having more control over my product (like on icky days). It's also easier to see exactly where the brush is going since the head is so small. In any case, it's not my all day every day holy grail brush. But I like it and I like it a lot. I can see us being friends for years to come.

on 1/26/2011 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Best foundation brush i own, others left me streaky, this one is easy the use the hairs are quite flexible. i use small strokes and patting notions, gives great results with mac studio fix.

on 12/30/2010 7:21:00 PM

As a novice, this was my first foundation brush and introduction to makeup tools. At the time, it was like my holy grail - I liked the idea of "painting" my face and was inspired by all the makeup artists who would do my makeup with this sort of brush. But it takes so painstakingly long to finish my face and the result is medium to full coverage so if that's the look you want, it's a good brush. However, if you're like me and prefer a "barely there" look, this is not the most suitable brush to use. I've since moved on other brushes, but I still keep this one handy for thicker foundations.

on 11/20/2010 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this brush a while ago but never reached for it mostly because it produced streaks across my face no matter how random, small, gentle the strokes were. Back then, I used NARS Sheer Glow and I much preferred using my fingers or the MAC 109 brush. But just recently, I bought the Estee Lauder Double Wear Light and I could not, for the life of me, figure out how to apply it properly. I used the 109 and 187 brushes, my fingers - nothing worked, my foundation was just not crackalackin' with me. I figured why not give the 190 brush a try and it gave me the. most. flawless. finish. evar. You definitely have to use small, random strokes with this brush and patting does help, too. I'm not exactly sure if I would repurchase though, as much as I love this brush. It's so, so expensive ($42 USD) and I'm sure other brands, like Sigma, produce equal quality brushes at a MUCH cheaper price.

on 11/18/2010 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Can't complain. This is a dense but flexible brush with synthetic bristles, which makes it perfect for liquid product application as its hairs will absorb far less product than natural fibers would. Overall it "coats" the skin with foundation really well, doing justice to whatever coverage each foundation claims to provide, and the streaking is minimal on me - nothing that can't be fixed with an additional 2 or 3 careful swipes. Would repurchase.

on 11/2/2010 12:10:00 PM

I have to agree with hellokitty05 on the 'rubbery' feeling. I clean my foundation brush after every application, so it isn't even as though it's loaded with product. I just hate this brush, as it requires a certain amount of adjusting and effort to actually get the product on my face and even then, it's streaky and uneaven. I think i tried to love this brush more because of what i paid for it but i'm more than happy to toss it now. After attempting the flawless look with several primer and foundation combinations, it just never worked. I think i'll stick with my 168, which gives beautifully flawless results.

on 10/30/2010 1:26:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This was the first makeup brush from MAC I ever bought, I loved it so dearly for so many years. It is a dream to apply cream and liquid foundations on with- especially the thicker ones.

Overall: 5/5
Price: A tad high, but worth it for the quality. There are however cheaper brushes that go for less.
Rebuy: No. But only because I prefer a flat topped brush for foundation applications now.

on 10/18/2010 3:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I bought this brush 2 years ago and never really used it till last year. I used it everyday and i dont think i was very ruff with it but for some reason it fell apart. The bristles literally just fell completely off the handle. I bought a replacement for now from mark and i like it more.

Popular Makeup Brushes