April 16, 2014 | 1839 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Jessica84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using a sample of this foundation in Beige 4 and it's just about a perfect match. Here's a quick little rundown of my mineral make-up history: I love the concept, love how it looks on other people, but it has never worked for me due to my very oily skin. It never creates enough of a barrier to keep the oil at bay even with many different primers. I have tried Jane Iredale, Everday Minerals, Mineral Basics, Sheer Cover, and Bare Escentuals. I decided to give this one a shot based on the good reviews, and I am very happy that I did! I start off with a super light layer of Cetaphil cream, then Clinque Dramatically Different Gel, buff Alima foundation on with my adored Everyday Mineral's Flat Top Brush, then lightly dust with Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust (the only powder to date that has ever kept the oil away). I have noticed that this foundation goes on matte, then after a few minutes sets to a semi-matte. If I feel like being more matte then I dust a little more finishing powder on after about 30 minutes, then this stuff actually stays put for the day which is a MIRACLE! I even mowed the lawn in 90 degree weather while wearing this and it still looked great. After sweating and getting a little oily it just made my skin look dewy and had a glow instead of an oil slick like I sprayed PAM on my face. To me it seems like this foundation becomes part of your skin as the day goes on instead of just sitting on top of it and then sliding right off. I only have a sample of it, so today I will be purchasing the full size. Plus it's cool to me to support a company in my home state! And I forgot to mention that this has buildable coverage. You can go light to medium/full with more layers and a dense flat-top brush. I have acne scars, rosacea, and all over unevenness and this covers great. I've heard great things about using mineral make-up wet, so I'm looking forward to trying that application when I get this in the mail. Fast shipping too!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 2:45:00 PM More reviews by mszsunshinee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My HG foundation. Wonderful product. I loved the ease of ordering samples for cheap so I could test out the foundation and find my perfect match. Great selection of colors. Anyone unsure about colors should check out http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix . I'm very acne prone and I loved how there are only a couple ingredients. None of which are irritating to the skin. My skin is now 95% clear. Better looking than it ever has before because I'm not piling on any chemicals. Light to Medium coverage. Gives skin a poreless, natural appearance. I have HUGE pores on my nose and when I wear this, my skin looks clear and healthy. Very very natural looking. I can't even tell I'm wearing makeup because it blends so seamlessly into the skin. Matte, no shimmer. Doesn't look cakey or powdery but I must warn that if you apply too much it will. Don't try and build it up past medium coverage or it will look bad. My skin is combination with oily tzone and dry cheeks. Doesn't make my dry areas look worse. The primer powder in a must for me to mattify my skin and keep my foundation lasting all day. Lasted me 14hrs of wear without my face looking nasty and greasy as it usually does. I find if I wear a moisturizer underneath though, it doesn't last as long. Looks like my skin, but better. A bit of my hyper-pigmentation does show though the foundation but I love this product nonetheless. I find the Finishing Powder too mattifying for me but maybe someone with oily skin should test it out. I loveee the buttercup powder for under the eyes which I apply after foundation and mix in with foundation for a natural look. It disguises dark circles without creasing, causing wrinkles (which I don't have) or looking obvious. I apply Hard Candy Primer mixed with Urban Decay Primer Potion under the eyes to keep it lasting all day. I'm a fan for life. Def recommend to everyone esp. those suffering from acne. Stop applying all those harsh chemicals to your face and drying out your skin with acne treatments! Go natural :)

*****UPDATE****
Now that the weather is getting cooler and my skin is becoming horribly dry, I started searching for some sort of tinted moisturizer because I found that powder accentuates my extreme dryness. However, yesterday I mixed some water and bit of vegetable glycerin in a spray bottle and spritzed it all over my face after applying this foundation. My skin looked so good! It looked like I wasn't wearing makeup but my skin tone was even and it gave my skin back its healthy glow. No more flakiness and no powder caked face look. I'm so happy I don't need to buy any other products for the winter. If you do decide to create this mixture, do not use lots of glycerin. I learned the hard way that your face will be sticky.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by hjjung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT:
hmm I don't know why I gave such a rave review originally. This might be really good for combination skin or oily skin, but I have dry skin and this makes me look like I have fine lines all over my face, especially around my eyes, no matter how heavily I moisturize. My biggest problem is the redness around my nose, and if I layer this over the red areas a couple times, it ends up looking very dry and chalky.. I think it's a good mineral foundation though. You should definitely try samples, but I don't think my skin type fits well with mineral foundations in general. If for some reason this seems to not work with your skin, try exfoliating. You can't achieve a flawless look if you have dead skin cells all over and put powder on top of them. But this just seems to suck out all the moisture from my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by THLuver33

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I wish I could say I really liked this mineral foundation but I can not. It looked wonderful when first applied and matched my skin (I used the color Cool 0 and even it was too dark.) But when I stepped outside and checked it in a mirror it had a orange tinge to it and made my pores and acne scars stand out even more. As well the coverage was not enough for me. I prefer full coverage and this gave me sheer to light at best. It also made me break out. Sadly I will not repurchase this mineral foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 10:07:00 PM More reviews by meg0926

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried loads of mineral foundation powders (BE, youngblood, aromaleigh, everyday minerals, Lucy, meow) and continually come back to Alima. The color range is simply fantastic and not nearly as confusing as many other brands (I'm olive 1.5), the packaging is pretty and convenient, and the foundation is pretty much fool proof. It doesn't sink into my pores or fine lines and always looks natural... Not too matte or too shiny. I am oily in summer, normal in winter, and I do need to blot with this in the summer, but it doesn't smear off when I do. Most days I apply with the Alima foundation brush (LOVE) dry over my MUFE full cover concealer. For night or heavier coverage, I spritz the brush with water after I've loaded the product and then apply. No need fir serious buffing, just a light hand.
Runner up mmu for me is Lucy minerals (great coverage and skin-like finish, limited colors) and meow (better oil absorbtion in summer, not as natural of a finish).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2011 11:57:00 PM More reviews by msjaim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

i ordered a couple of samples that included
FOUNDATION:golden 5 and golden 4. that golden 5 is spot on with my summer hue. i will save the golden 4 sample for when im a lil lighter during winter and fall. this is my second try for mineral..just tried neutrogena and its not too bad, but i really like the alima..i used the ecotools brush and used veeeeery little. i dont have to many skin issues, but this powder evened me out..not too matte, but a really natural finish. im a modest chick, but i kept loooking at myself in the mirror...lol. i initially used bobbi brown skin liquid foundation, then went to a more natural
brand korres wr liquid foundation...i stumbled across alima while searching for other natural brands and im so glad i did. loving the free samples too !

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by lilylamp

i was impressed by the natural ingredients, and it was fascinating to try all the different colour combinations and see what a difference a small difference in shade can have on your overall look. Like one other reviewer on this board, i received a comment that i was looking sickly while wearing one particular sample shade, others however gave me a radiant hue. takes a bit of trial and error to find the right shade. turns out the warm colours suited me best .For the first hour or so wearing alima i would look stunning, Airbrushed yet natural all at once. often using a primer beneath and finishing powder on top, but even so, streaking seemed to happen so easily and quickly with this foundation and i really HATED that. Its hard going from looking fabulous and perfect to streaky in a matter of hours. Makes you feel very insecure with your makeup. Id prefer a foundation that looked mediocre but stayed that way all day at least, instead of melting off and looking a right mess with the slightest bit of sweat or humidity! And dont even think of wearing this if your prone to the odd prememnstral crying outbursts over, say- some soppy song on the radio on your way to work. Wearing alima in this circumstance will leave your face literally an absolute mess ( i speak from personal experience). i ve gone back to wearing good old revlon colourstay. doesnt look as good as alima, and certainly no where near as natural, but its reliable and doesnt ever streak.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

This mineral powder does not have enough coverage, to me its somewhere between sheer & medium coverage. For the price Alima charges, its not worth it. I like Everyday Mineral SM better.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Alisuka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm really on the fence with this product. I am in love with their color selection (huge!), and have a perfect match in Golden 3 (or 4 when I am tan). I have really yellow undertones, my skin looks kinda orangey-yellow-fake tan when I have a tan, so this isn't easy to do! Plus, I like knowing that I am not clogging my pores, which most products seem to do nowadays. The coverage is decent for a MMU, but I definitely have to use concealer around my nose and scars, spots, etc.
Now the negatives:
The finish isn't awesome...it's just ok. It emphasizes my pores, and yes, I do use a primer/moisturizer--you MUST with this product to get any kind of consistent coverage. It also clumps and sticks to any spot that is slightly oily or dry, so any healing blemishes are going to draw attention, as the makeup will cluster there. Finally, for oily skin, the finish does not stay matte at all like most powders would do. I use MAC Blot over mine, otherwise my face would look shiny within the hour.
I said I would buy this product again, as I have yet to find an HG everyday foundation powder that doesn't clog my pores/break me out/has my shade. I dont want to use heavy makeup on a daily basis, but do need some coverage, and this works decently for that purpose.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by atomickittenlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Edit: So, i've used this for years as my go-to setting powder, even though its not really intended for that. Ive been struggling with moderate acne for the past few years and have had many makeup challenges- but I never thought to eliminate this as a potential culprit. Well I have for about a week now- and my foundation no longer slides off my nose in three hours and I my current setting powder (essence) does not cling to dry patches. Shipping to canada is ridiculous on this item so I guess I'm actually relieved I've decided not to use it--- to bad I have almost a full jar of product left, not to mention their satin finishing powder and priming powder (both of which actually hurt my skin when I applied it- mica I'm guessing).

----
Original Review:
So this is the fourth day using the sample foundation- and wow I really like it! The first time I put it on, it made my skin itch for about an hour- but I haven't experienced that again so i don't know if alima was the direct cause.

PROS:
Great coverage for a mineral powder
Looks very natural
Light weight
Excellent colour match
Hasn't broken me out AT ALL> which is pretty amazing for me.
They sent me some sample bronzer and eyeshadows for free
Safe
4 ingredients you can pronounce!!

CONS:
Messy (as with most loose powders- but would have been nice to have a cap with holes or something)
I have to wait until my moizterizer completely soaks in or else the powder is hard to blend.
Sets into the fine lines around my mouth making them look much worse (not going to use it for my full face anymore- i dont need coverage there anyway).

Im gonna stick with it for another week before I order the full size. But I'm pretty sure I will :)

EDIT: have ordered the full size with the brush (which makes a huge difference in application i.e. no settling around fine lines) Although coverage is minimal. The only thing it does for me is even out my skin tone. If I didn't have acne I would be 100% satisfied.