November 21, 2014 | 1720 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2012 10:41:00 PM More reviews by happynappy1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been a Meow fan for awhile but they just can't seem to get their customer service to a satisfying point. If you own a small business (as my family has for more than 20 years), you can't take two weeks off for Christmas. Sorry. You work for yourself, you work harder.

Back to Alima: I've only been using the samples for about a week so I can only comment on the color match and finish. I am NW50ish and found a good match in Alima's Cool 8. It's not cakey and is definitely buildable. I find it works best dusted over my MUFE HD primer in Caramel. Most mineral foundations go grayish on my DDD skin but with a dusting of bronzer, this still looked good at the end of the day. I've got combo skin that leans toward oily but I only needed to blot once in say, a six-hour period. Compared to Meow, I actually prefer the look of Alima. It's just a bit more finely milled than Meow.

Overall, I'm happy with this product (and their shipping was fast!). I'll definitely purchase a full-size once I'm done with my samples.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2011 6:54:00 PM More reviews by bestscreennameever

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised the rating on this isn't higher here on MUA. I remember when the craze over Everyday Minerals began here on MUA a few years ago. I ordered many samples, and eventually a full size foundation from them, but I could never get it to work. The formulations made my skin itchy, and I couldn't ever achieve a nice-looking face. Dry patches would show, the colors looked wrong, the coverage was uneven...the problems were endless after trying many different formulas and types of application. Alima, on the other hand, covers very evenly and does not make my face itch. It isn't perfect, but for someone who likes minerals, or has sensitivity issues like eczema/dermatitis like I do, it's a nice option. I apply to a clean face (I wash with Paula's Choice Skin Recovery cleanser) after using sunscreen and/or moisturizer. I use the E.L.F. studio flat top brush to first apply the balancing primer powder, then I use the E.L.F. studio concealer brush to dot on the Alima concealer where needed. Then I use the flat top brush to apply the mineral foundation, followed by the finishing powder. I used to wear Bobbi Brown foundations in Alabaster, and I've been using Neutral 1 in Alima (though it is winter and I think I need to revisit the Cool 1 and Neutral 0 shades). One video that really helped with application tips was the mineral makeup video on You Tube by meepocow.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 1:15:00 PM More reviews by JordanRene

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, so I wrote a ridiculously long review before, probably after too much coffee, so now I'm cutting it down.. a bit..

This is the only foundation I will use as of now. The jar lasted me a little over a year, (I bought my first jar in august or september of last year and bought a new one in November of this year.) It soothes my skin, looks soo natural, and doesn't cause me to breakout at all.

It can be tricky to find the right shade, but luckily, they give you the opportunity to buy inexpensive samples.

Also, you must use a moisturizer with mineral makeup!

Bottom line, a fabulous mineral makeup.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2011 5:52:00 AM More reviews by Cellove15

I've got mixed feelings about this product. What I like is the fact that it's 100% natural and got safe ingredients (especially a safe sunscreen).
Sadly, I've got a few problems with this product also. First... although the color range is huge I seem to hve difficulties finding the right match. I feel that this MM leaves a slight white cast on my skin (might be too light then) but when I go darker on the color range it seems right at first but I feel (and I think noone mentioned that before, so is it only me?!!) but I feel it oxidizes slightly during the first hour of wearing and suddenly it seems too dark. Weird.
Also I have a tendency to look a little chalky. I could use less product to avoid that but then the coverage is not enough for me.

So: It's a product I wanna like because it's natural (and I gotta say it is the best natural MM I've ever tried) and still... I gotta be honest and say that with most liquid foundations I get a better result. Can't deny that fact.

Still using it at the moment though, coz I'm fed up with putting chemicals on my face.

Oh and: no breakouts or reactions with this what-so-ever... so that is pretty good.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by rd_donaldson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using Alima for about two years now which is long enough for me to feel like I can give a good review on it.

Cons:
-It can be messy to apply, it's definitely not something I would apply on the run.
-It does not cover my dark under-eye circles. But I guess that's what concealer is for. I'll have to get right on that. :0)
-If I don't wash my face consistently I have more blackheads on my nose, but that isn't the fault of the make-up.

Pros:
-I love that my natural skin shows through--it looks like I'm not wearing make-up, just naturally smooth and fresh. If you have redness that needs to be covered, stipple a little foundation with a small brush just in the area you need it.
-Alima does not market this as a sunscreen, but I wear Cool 4 and Hanae finishing powder and after spending a sunny day outside, my exposed shoulders burned and blistered and my face (which only had my make-up no sunscreen or lotion) was not even pink. Safe, natural sunscreen--that is enough of a reason to love this stuff, in my opinion!
-My skin has fewer acne eruptions since I have been wearing this make-up. I have very sensitive skin and when I first started wearing this I got some tiny white pimples on my forehead (I had never had anything like these before) but they cleared up and since then my skin has been clearer than ever. I do still get hormonal breakouts, but apart from getting rid of the hormones, I don't think anything is going to fix that!
-Alima has excellent customer service, fantastic color choices, quick shipping, is environmentally aware and provides an excellent product on top of all that.

Bottom Line: As long as Alima keeps making this make-up, I'll keep buying it. This is my HG make-up.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2011 5:29:00 PM More reviews by michele1145

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found Alima via MUA and have been using it for years but realize I never wrote a review so here it is:

I love Alima!

If you want more details on the foundation here ya go:

-A ton of colors to help you find your perfect shade. After years of not having quite the right foundation I found my HG in Warm 4 and have been wearing it wear around for several years. Samples are $1.50 so you can get several and try them out.

-Easy to apply, just make sure you use a good brush. I can't speak highly enough of the Alima foundation brush. You are taking the time to order the foundation, take the time to get the brush. If you hate the foundation you'll still have a great brush to use with other product in your drawer.

-Easy to build up. Remember building up is easier than having to buff in and remove.

-Speaking of which try brushing the foundation on in a downward stroke rather than buffing like the 'other' mineral foundation preaches. I admit I do circles as well but give it a try.

-Like all mineral foundation, this stuff lasts forever. I buy 2 at a time usually: one for the bathroom and the other for my travel kit.

I also love their blushes (Honey Rose and Pink are my favorites but I use others especially the samples I've accumulated). Their eye shadows are nice (I love Tiger Eye) but I admit I am not much of a mineral e/s lover; too messy for easy and quick application which is my mantra all days of the week and all occasions. But if you like mineral e/s try a few samples and I'm sure you'll like the colors and quality.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Jessica84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using a sample of this foundation in Beige 4 and it's just about a perfect match. Here's a quick little rundown of my mineral make-up history: I love the concept, love how it looks on other people, but it has never worked for me due to my very oily skin. It never creates enough of a barrier to keep the oil at bay even with many different primers. I have tried Jane Iredale, Everday Minerals, Mineral Basics, Sheer Cover, and Bare Escentuals. I decided to give this one a shot based on the good reviews, and I am very happy that I did! I start off with a super light layer of Cetaphil cream, then Clinque Dramatically Different Gel, buff Alima foundation on with my adored Everyday Mineral's Flat Top Brush, then lightly dust with Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust (the only powder to date that has ever kept the oil away). I have noticed that this foundation goes on matte, then after a few minutes sets to a semi-matte. If I feel like being more matte then I dust a little more finishing powder on after about 30 minutes, then this stuff actually stays put for the day which is a MIRACLE! I even mowed the lawn in 90 degree weather while wearing this and it still looked great. After sweating and getting a little oily it just made my skin look dewy and had a glow instead of an oil slick like I sprayed PAM on my face. To me it seems like this foundation becomes part of your skin as the day goes on instead of just sitting on top of it and then sliding right off. I only have a sample of it, so today I will be purchasing the full size. Plus it's cool to me to support a company in my home state! And I forgot to mention that this has buildable coverage. You can go light to medium/full with more layers and a dense flat-top brush. I have acne scars, rosacea, and all over unevenness and this covers great. I've heard great things about using mineral make-up wet, so I'm looking forward to trying that application when I get this in the mail. Fast shipping too!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 2:45:00 PM More reviews by mszsunshinee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My HG foundation. Wonderful product. I loved the ease of ordering samples for cheap so I could test out the foundation and find my perfect match. Great selection of colors. Anyone unsure about colors should check out http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix . I'm very acne prone and I loved how there are only a couple ingredients. None of which are irritating to the skin. My skin is now 95% clear. Better looking than it ever has before because I'm not piling on any chemicals. Light to Medium coverage. Gives skin a poreless, natural appearance. I have HUGE pores on my nose and when I wear this, my skin looks clear and healthy. Very very natural looking. I can't even tell I'm wearing makeup because it blends so seamlessly into the skin. Matte, no shimmer. Doesn't look cakey or powdery but I must warn that if you apply too much it will. Don't try and build it up past medium coverage or it will look bad. My skin is combination with oily tzone and dry cheeks. Doesn't make my dry areas look worse. The primer powder in a must for me to mattify my skin and keep my foundation lasting all day. Lasted me 14hrs of wear without my face looking nasty and greasy as it usually does. I find if I wear a moisturizer underneath though, it doesn't last as long. Looks like my skin, but better. A bit of my hyper-pigmentation does show though the foundation but I love this product nonetheless. I find the Finishing Powder too mattifying for me but maybe someone with oily skin should test it out. I loveee the buttercup powder for under the eyes which I apply after foundation and mix in with foundation for a natural look. It disguises dark circles without creasing, causing wrinkles (which I don't have) or looking obvious. I apply Hard Candy Primer mixed with Urban Decay Primer Potion under the eyes to keep it lasting all day. I'm a fan for life. Def recommend to everyone esp. those suffering from acne. Stop applying all those harsh chemicals to your face and drying out your skin with acne treatments! Go natural :)

*****UPDATE****
Now that the weather is getting cooler and my skin is becoming horribly dry, I started searching for some sort of tinted moisturizer because I found that powder accentuates my extreme dryness. However, yesterday I mixed some water and bit of vegetable glycerin in a spray bottle and spritzed it all over my face after applying this foundation. My skin looked so good! It looked like I wasn't wearing makeup but my skin tone was even and it gave my skin back its healthy glow. No more flakiness and no powder caked face look. I'm so happy I don't need to buy any other products for the winter. If you do decide to create this mixture, do not use lots of glycerin. I learned the hard way that your face will be sticky.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 11:46:00 PM More reviews by hjjung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT:
hmm I don't know why I gave such a rave review originally. This might be really good for combination skin or oily skin, but I have dry skin and this makes me look like I have fine lines all over my face, especially around my eyes, no matter how heavily I moisturize. My biggest problem is the redness around my nose, and if I layer this over the red areas a couple times, it ends up looking very dry and chalky.. I think it's a good mineral foundation though. You should definitely try samples, but I don't think my skin type fits well with mineral foundations in general. If for some reason this seems to not work with your skin, try exfoliating. You can't achieve a flawless look if you have dead skin cells all over and put powder on top of them. But this just seems to suck out all the moisture from my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by THLuver33

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I wish I could say I really liked this mineral foundation but I can not. It looked wonderful when first applied and matched my skin (I used the color Cool 0 and even it was too dark.) But when I stepped outside and checked it in a mirror it had a orange tinge to it and made my pores and acne scars stand out even more. As well the coverage was not enough for me. I prefer full coverage and this gave me sheer to light at best. It also made me break out. Sadly I will not repurchase this mineral foundation.