October 2, 2014 | 1811 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 2:02:00 PM More reviews by lilacs80

I picked up this deodorant because it was natural and aluminum free. It turns out this is by far, my worst deodorant ever! I have this in the apricot scent. It smells nice...light fruity scent, not over powering or overwhelming, but this product does not work! The first time I put this on, I was out all day and maybe 3-4 hours in, I started noticing a slight odor scent. I took a whiff of my underarms and I was in a panic attack. I thought it had to do with me perspiring more than I normally do that day because it was super hot day and causing me to have a slight BO. I kept my arms down for the rest of the day, self conscious that others around me may smell me. So from that point on, I would put on my deodorant in the mornings, and take it with me in my handbag. I find myself sniffing my underarms and checking for BO. I do find that I have to reapply this product like every 3 hours or so. This is terrible. I'm someone who don't have BO, never have BO, and this deodorant for whatever reason, caused me to have slight BO! I think it is from the lack of protection in the perspiration department. Who knows. Or maybe the formula is just not for me....my body chemistry + the formula of the product = sweaty underarms and BO. I think this product is great for someone who does not need a lot of protection and can do without deodorant....this would be the perfect product for that person! It'll give light protection for someone who don't really need it. For us gals who need a little more or moderate protection, this product is not for you! Save yourself the embarrassment, self consciousness, and trouble of carrying an extra deodorant in your handbag for reapplication -- this isn't your lipstick after lunch. I will not be buying this again!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 11:57:00 AM More reviews by OICMe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried the apricot variety, which claims on the front to be"long lasting." I didn't have any sort of allergic reaction, nor did it make my skin peel as far as I know, but-as far as preventing odor, it did NOT work. It did nothing at all but sit on my skin. Back to the stone!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 11:35:00 AM More reviews by longereyelashes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

YUCK! I hated this deodorant so much. It was honeysuckle rose smell, and it felt like slime. Not the kind that feels slimy at first, then dries- I felt like a sweating pig all day. And it wasn't sweat, it was deodorant. Also it did nothing for BO, it just covered it up in it's weird scent. This is horrible deodorant.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2010 1:19:00 PM More reviews by alucas1877

Hello all,
This is my first comment here on Makeupalley!  I also was looking for a natural alternative to deodorants as I have extremely sensitive skin under my armpits. I am not able to use any deodorants that are scented. I usually use Dove for sensitive skin.
Well I bought Tom's unscented deodorant and I was extremely disappointed. Within a few hours of wearing it and not doing much of anything that day, I notice that the deodorant was not working as it should. It wasn’t that I smelled bad, but I notice that my natural scent was coming through, something that never happens when I wear Dove.
I had to throw mine away and continue my search.

Alexandra

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2010 12:53:00 PM More reviews by TeaGrl8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been trying to go more natural with my beauty routine and after looking at the ingredients in my Dove deodorant I decided I wanted something with fewer ingredients and ones I could actually Identify without looking up. So I decided to try Tom's of Maine Long Lasting Deodorant. It is lavender scented, contains Hops and is supposed to last 12 hours. Well the it has 2 out of those 3, it contains hops (according to the ingredients list) and it does smell like lavender, quite nicely actually. During my first day wearing it I reapplied once, not because I had BO but because I couldn't smell the lavender anymore. I thought "thats ok, I don't really mind having to reapply its not too big a deal and even if the lavender scent fades thats ok as long as I don't stink". By the end of the night I had my SO give me an armpit check, he said he didn't smell lavender but there was only a slight hint of my smell coming through and that I did not smell bad. This disappointed me since I had done very little physical activity during the day and I have come to the decision this will not hold up to me usual more intense daily routine. This mornings findings also sealed this deodorants fate of going in the trash, I woke up like many others with the skin of my armpit peeling off which never happened with any other brand I have used ever. Also this is at least a dollar more expensive. Back to Dove for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by sunshowers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to use a natural deodorant because I was tired of having to throw out white shirts with deodorant stains that were perfectly good otherwise. This deodorant is a little more expensive than most, but I figured Tom's of Maine was a good brand and it would be worth the cost.

After a week and a half of trying it, I'm going to have to throw it away. I just can't stand the texture! It's so sticky, and if I sweat the stickiness spreads. I tried wearing it while playing volleyball and my armpits were red and so sore afterward from my skin sticking to itself and rubbing. It was also causing ingrown hairs and clogged pores under my arms, which only added to the pain and unpleasantness. I've stopped wearing it for two days now and my armpits are feeling much better.

It's too bad, because I really like the Tom's of Maine scents.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Kawikie below gave the absolute most accurate description of this deodorant aka it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! This was just one of the many I tried on my quest to find an effective all natural deodorant and like all the others offers absoltuely no odor protection at all. I don't have heavy sweating issue at the least and really look for a deodorant to just prevent odor and nothing more. I tried the Lemongrass scent in Toms and the scent is the only good thing about it as it smells to die for of sugared lemons. I tested it out so many times and literally even jsut applying straight out of the shower and sitting on my couch for an hour in no way doing anything physical my underarms already started to smell like I had no deodorant on at all. I don't understand why there is yet one natural line of deodorants that can't mix some effective oils to really work instead of jsut being good for the skin. This was the equivalent of using a nice smelling lotion, not anywhere near close to deserving to be called a deodorant, big pass!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2010 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ChiChi9

Works great for a natural deodorant. Takes a week or so to start working, then it works fine for smell. A little sticky in texture, but that's to be expected.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by kawiki

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It doesn't do anything....that's all I can really say, waste of money.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2010 4:25:00 PM More reviews by suukasi

I used this because I'm paranoid about armpit odor, and I don't like the deodorants with aluminum as they leave nasty stains on my shirts. It was great when I first used it, but a few days ago, I realized that my armpits started to SMELL and I usually don't even have odors! The bar smelled really bad too, so I chucked it. :(