April 18, 2014 | 1969 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by sunshowers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to use a natural deodorant because I was tired of having to throw out white shirts with deodorant stains that were perfectly good otherwise. This deodorant is a little more expensive than most, but I figured Tom's of Maine was a good brand and it would be worth the cost.

After a week and a half of trying it, I'm going to have to throw it away. I just can't stand the texture! It's so sticky, and if I sweat the stickiness spreads. I tried wearing it while playing volleyball and my armpits were red and so sore afterward from my skin sticking to itself and rubbing. It was also causing ingrown hairs and clogged pores under my arms, which only added to the pain and unpleasantness. I've stopped wearing it for two days now and my armpits are feeling much better.

It's too bad, because I really like the Tom's of Maine scents.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Kawikie below gave the absolute most accurate description of this deodorant aka it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! This was just one of the many I tried on my quest to find an effective all natural deodorant and like all the others offers absoltuely no odor protection at all. I don't have heavy sweating issue at the least and really look for a deodorant to just prevent odor and nothing more. I tried the Lemongrass scent in Toms and the scent is the only good thing about it as it smells to die for of sugared lemons. I tested it out so many times and literally even jsut applying straight out of the shower and sitting on my couch for an hour in no way doing anything physical my underarms already started to smell like I had no deodorant on at all. I don't understand why there is yet one natural line of deodorants that can't mix some effective oils to really work instead of jsut being good for the skin. This was the equivalent of using a nice smelling lotion, not anywhere near close to deserving to be called a deodorant, big pass!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2010 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ChiChi9

Works great for a natural deodorant. Takes a week or so to start working, then it works fine for smell. A little sticky in texture, but that's to be expected.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by kawiki

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It doesn't do anything....that's all I can really say, waste of money.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2010 4:25:00 PM More reviews by suukasi

I used this because I'm paranoid about armpit odor, and I don't like the deodorants with aluminum as they leave nasty stains on my shirts. It was great when I first used it, but a few days ago, I realized that my armpits started to SMELL and I usually don't even have odors! The bar smelled really bad too, so I chucked it. :(

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2010 12:30:00 AM More reviews by entreprentice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this thinking it would actually do something for my underarms. If it does anything, it's not a lot. I'm not going to waste it so I use it in conjunction with certain dri in the morning to freshen up. I hope there will be other natural deodorants I can find that will work I will stick to the chemicals.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2010 1:42:00 AM More reviews by SpiceGirl29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, I have been using this for many many years, before they were bought by P&G. I think the product has changed over the years and is not the same. It used to be clear and no longer has the same look. I generally used the unscented as I really don't see why we need to have an aroma in our pits!!! I do notice that once in a while my pits get super itchy when I use it, but i do have to say that seems to come and go, so I often wonder if it is something in my body chemistry that changes. (pH, etc.). I tried their cucumber and grapefruit which was wonderful to start with but after a short time the stick smelled worse than b.o.. Perhaps that's why I haven't seen it again. So, with all that said, I keep using the product, because it has no Al in it and it's all natural. Can't beat that.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2010 3:04:00 PM More reviews by rikasmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Isn't as effective as a conventional deodorant but the benefits are that it doesn't contain aluminum salts or an antiperspirant. The lavender one works better than the unscented.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2010 10:06:00 PM More reviews by MakeFetch

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After 1 day of use I awoke the next morning to layers of skin peeling off my pits. I don't even have sensitive skin. No thank you.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by MamaRobs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this deodorant!! I have used the Apricot scent for several years now and I really really love it. It took some time for my body to adjust to a deodorant without aluminum in it, but now I am just careful to shave my pits every day and put it on dry pits right away. If I wait or have hair it doesn't seem to work as well (my husband tried it and didn't like it).
When I really start to get hot and sweat I can smell the apricot scent and I love that (I'll admit, sometimes I sniff them just because I like the smell).
The best change I have seen since my switch is that if I forget to put any on (which I sometimes do) I don't smell at all unless it's really hot and I start to sweat a lot. Even then I don't have that itchy, sticky feeling I got when I forgot to use my Secret.
I am a lifetime user. I love this stuff!