November 22, 2014 | 1794 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by ncashen

Wonderful. I used this on my feet. I melt a teaspoon into my bath with epsom salts or drops of diluted lavender essential oil. I use it as a hot oil treatment for scalp and hair. I also use it as an intense moisturizer for my face and hands.

I tolerate the scent, because it is so wonderful and hydrating. I use cold pressed virgin olive oil for the exact same things. I love them both.

Even at cooler room temperatures this oil will solidify. I use a long metal spoon to get it out of the jar. It melts very easily.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by vaigai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm South Indian so this is our traditional cure-all. Hair, skin, food etc. That being said, I was super wary to put oil in my hair since my mom forced me to when I was a kid and I got made fun of at school!! Anyway, yep - putting coconut oil in my hair as a pre-wash treatment and then a few drops post-wash makes it super soft and less split ends! I mix some with rosemary oil and keep it by my bed. Slather on your feet at night and throw on some socks - your feet will be AMAZING in 4 weeks. I don't use it on my face because I'm super break out prone and I don't want to ruin my current good-skin streak.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Agostino

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I brought a jar of coconut oil after reading all the amazing reviews, thought I would try it as a hair treatment. Well I have to say that after using it 3 or so times it did absoultely nothing for my hair but make it extremely dry. My hairdresser even commented how dry my hair was I mentioned the coconut oil and she said that it is not advisable as it sticks to the hair shaft making it difficult to wash out and definately dries it out. So needless to say I would never buy this product again unless I was cooking a recepie that required it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! I buy the virgin kind, because I love the coconut scent. I use one jar for cooking, and another in the bathroom for my skin. I've been using it for at least five years now! My hair doesn't seem to like it, it made the ends kind of dry and tangled, but I use it all over my body in the winter as a moisturizer. It takes some time to sink in, but leaves me really soft. My favorite use is on my face after washing at night. I apply a bit under my eyes and on my forehead, anywhere tiny lines are creeping up. I don't know how, but it works better than anything for fine lines. In the morning they look plumped and almost gone! I have very sensitive skin and have never had a reaction. Try it, you'll like it!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Pamxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Let's sum up all the reviews here for the lazy : IT'S AMAZING GO BUY IT, USE IT EVERYWHERE (hair, skin..). All the good reviews seemed to talk about some miracle expensive thing so at 8$ the jar I JUST HAD. And Thanks, thanks, thanks. I empty only 2-3 products because i'm really picky and this lasted me 4 months. A MUST.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by beecky

So I've recently jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon, and it's probably one of the best decisions I've ever made for my hair. I have pretty thick, wavy, generally healthy hair as I do take quite good care of it. After getting a trim I decided to try something new to keep my hair healthier, as I had stopped using hair treatments so my hair wasn't as healthy prior to the trim. I had gotten lazy and stopped using hair masks and such. Coconut oil has gotten so popular and it's reviews online are so great I thought why not ? I've spent way more on expensive salon brand hair treatments. I put this on dry hair before bed and leave it in overnight, then wake up in the morning and wash it out. I shampoo and condition as usual, let it air dry and my hair looks very shiny, is extremely smooth and feels unbelieveably healthy and strong. I am tentative to use this on my skin, however, as I really don't want to breakout ! but in hair this product is a lifesaver. And it's natural ! Bonus !

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by venteux

I started using coconut oil as a body moisturizer when almond oil just wasn't moisturizing enough for me. I really like that it's all natural, absorbs easily and smells nice but now that winter is here I've been itching like crazy as soon as I put it on after my shower. I guess I have to start looking for another solution again! It's too bad because I really liked using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*UPDATE* 2/11/2014
I finally tried CO as a hair mask and loveeee it! I have long, blonde, highlighted hair and it looks so healthy and soft! I'm going to try to incorporate this into a weekly routine because the benefits are amazing. If anyone is interested in my method: At first I tried to warm up the CO in my hands and then put it on my hair but it was too tedious and messy so I filled my bathroom sink up with hot water and placed the jar in it, it was liquid in a matter of minutes, then I poured some in my palms, put it in my hair, and repeated. My scalp is dry from the cold winter so I coated thoroughly from my scalp down to the tips of my hair, put my hair in a bun, placed a disposable shower cap over it, and kept it on for 8 hours! The next morning I washed my hair twice with my favorite shampoo (Pureology Hydrate), and continued the rest of my routine as normal!

I tried really hard to use this as a makeup remover for my mascara. Am I missing something? I only use mascara for my top eyelashes. First of all, I get it in my eyes EVERY time, no matter how hard I close them. Then, my mascara isn't coming off very easy so I have to really rub. Using a cotton round doesn't work, using just my fingers doesn't work... and on top of that, from all the tugging, eyelashes come out. I love the way CO feels on my eyelashes/eyebrows/eyelids once I have no mascara on but so far this is NOT working for me.

Lastly, when I first picked up CO from Walmart, I didn't realize that I got "refined" until recently. I was wondering why it didn't have a scent and this is why. I bought Dr. Bronner's Whole Kernel Virgin CO yesterday and it smells amazingggggg. I read that it has more of the "good stuff" in it so I definitely recommend people making sure they get unrefined!

*ORIGINAL POST* 12/7/2013
I've used CO in place of body lotion and I liked it. It seemed to work fine, didn't have any adverse effects, and soaked into my skin fairly well. The reason i stopped using it was because it's just really annoying when you're getting ready (and I'm usually in a hurry) to get a spoon, spoon it out of the jar, and warm it up in your hands before applying while inadvertently some chunks fall on the floor. If it was liquid at room temperature I'd probably be more apt to use it. I would still like to try it as a hair mask, though.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2013 3:07:00 AM More reviews by eatmyshort

I tried many years to like extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil, but it never seem to agree with me. As a hand cream, it is very greasy initially but very easy to apply. After a few hours my hands are even drier than it was before. This oil seems to strip my skin of its natural moisture the longer I use it. The worst part is the itchiness and red spots I get on my arms and hands when I apply coconut oil regularly. Although it makes an excellent eye makeup remover, it tends to clog my pores when I use it 3 days or more in a row. I get little red clogged pores around my eyes and at the base of my eye lashes. So that didn't work well either. On my skin, it is wonderful the first 2 days or so, and then all hell break lose with zit attack. Small zits, large zits, and big old cysts. I tried coconut oils many times hoping that it would work again based on all the great reviews and it fail me again and again every time. On my hair, it works very nice as pre conditioner. I can't use it as a leave in cause it attracts too much dirt and makes my hair sticking together. It makes the hair oily not moiste (which is water) that's what I need. I need moisture rich bouncy hair, not limpy dirty hair that sticks together like I haven't washed it in ages. The worst part about the leave in conditioner is that it makes my scalp break out with acne inside the hair follicle. In the end, I find no use for this coconut oil. My last hope. I will eat it for good health. Boy did it fail me again and again time after time. Even in the foods, it congested my pores and cause me to break out even worst than eating lardy fried chickens. I get painful cysts every time I add this coconut oil to my foods. Lesson learned. No more coconut oil for me no matter if it's organic, raw, cold pressed, unrefined, or bla bla bla. I simply cannot understand all the rave reviews.

8 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by LyndseyZ

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BUY COCONUT OIL IT IS UNREFINED; unrefined means that they do not bleach and deodorize the coconut oil, your oil SHOULD smell like coconuts, if it does not then you are using unrefined and it does not have all the benefits of unrefined, and it goes through chemical processes which we don't want. Anyways I use coconut oil once a week as an overnight deep conditioner in my hair (be sure not to get it on your scalp if you have and oily scalp) I also use it on my face at night after I take my makeup off, this has helped so much for my acne! I barely get pimples anymore. I make a sugar scrub that I use to exfoliate with in the shower. Try coconut oil you will not be disappointed!!