August 30, 2014 | 926 users online

Cleansers - Olay - Total Effects Anti Aging Anti Blemish Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2008 12:37:00 PM More reviews by MamaChoobie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for over a year now and absolutely love it. It keeps my pores clear and never dries out my skin. It feels fresh and rinses off easily and completely. I always follow cleansing with a moisturizer, but I don't feel like my face will crack if I don't!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2008 5:08:00 AM More reviews by b82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

This worked wonderfully for a couple of months but then I started breaking out really bad and apparently this product did not help at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2008 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Daisycloud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Now that I'm 30, I've been switching up my products from regular hydrating products to anti-aging ones. I really like this cleanser because, despite the tiny exfoliating beads, my skin is still very supple after washing with it. It's most likely because this is a non-foaming product, like the Cetaphil and Spectro-Jel cleansers I had been using before. With the exfoliating properties, I don't use this on my eyes, so in the evenings when I've removed my eye makeup I use a bit of Cetaphil just for my eye area. Still, I really like the effects of daily exfoliation because I don't worry about having to exfoliate as often. On the days I use a microdermabrasion scrub, I just wash with a regular cleanser before the scrub so that I don't over-exfoliate.

As for the anti-aging and anti-blemish promises, I haven't noticed a difference in my skin. Visibly, I have pretty clear skin with few lines. I still get the occasional blemish, and my face still has tiny little bumps of mini-blemishes that I can only feel but not see. I mainly like that this product gently exfoliates and is non-foaming. But because I feel that it's really time to start perserving my skin, it is better to be safe to use an anti-aging cleanser!

A tip I found on futurederm.com for maximizing the effects of anti-aging cleanser is to leave the product on your face for at least a minute for the anti-aging ingredients to work. I've tried it and it doesn't hurt to do that!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2008 2:29:00 PM More reviews by rouge_noir

This has slightly different names in different countries. In Portugal and Spain it's currently called Total Effects Cleansing Gel, though it doesn't look like a gel at all (it's a white cream with barely noticeable exfoliating particles).

Ingredients of this version: Aqua, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Betaine, Salicylic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Oxidized Polyethylene, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Steareth-2, PPG-30, Parfum, Behenyl Alcohol, Alcohol Denat., Disodium EDTA, BHT, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxycitronellal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone.

I first got this product in a swap about 8 months ago (from a fellow British MUAer), b/c I was interested in cleansers with BHAs. My skin was very sensible at the time: I had acne scars but my skin overreacted to retinoids creating more scars, despite my best efforts not to touch the irritated areas and always use SPF 50. I tried it a couple of days, found it a little too abrasive b/c of the exfoliating particles, and left it in a drawer.

A couple of months later my skin had calmed, and one day I started using it every night. I don't really know why. I guess I hoped the salicylic acid in in would provide a more gentle exfoliation for my skin. This is not a foaming cleanser and cannot be used in your eyes. That usually would be a major no-no for me. But after a couple of weeks, I started noticing that my skin no longer needed regular exfoliation like it used to. A few more weeks went by and I noticed I no longer had the occasional blemishes which always plagued me.

Eventually I used up the whole tube and I'm on my second now. Curiously, the one I bought in my country has a slightly different formulation and less exfoliating particles. Also, glycerin is higher up in the ingredient list, which I think accounts for this version having a "softer" texture, if you know what I mean. But it's just as effective as that first tube I got in the swap.

The bottom line: after 5 months of using this every night and just a micellar water (Bioderma) in the morning, my skin looks great. Acne scars gone, no more blemishes, no redness, my blackheads and large pores are progressively disappearing. I hardly need foundation. I was so well impressed I started using the Total Effects day and night creams too.

I have used several more expensive brands over the years, but right now I wouldn't swap Olay for any of them. Not only it's great value for your money, it's also simple and effective. I used to exfoliate and do a clay mask twice a week. I haven't done that in months and still my skin looks great.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 6:56:00 PM More reviews by mmlee77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Last Saturday my skin was just awful. One week later using this cleanser and its a miracle!!! Within just three days I started to see a big improvement in my skin. I've always had oily and acne prone skin. Usually I just used a cleanser specific for acne but now in my mid 30's, I'm starting to worry more about wrinkles. Also for the longest time, I had these little bumps above my eyelid area and the texture was rough making eyeshadow look kind of scaly but I had gotten use to it being there. Recently though, I started forming more of these bumps around my face and and the bumps above my eyes seem to look bigger, I think it was from the excessive sun exposure over the summer. Anyhow I was really starting to freak out and was starting to consider a painful and expensive chemical peel or dermabrasion. But before I went that route, I researched like crazy. I kept coming across reviews on this blemish cleanser and for the most part, they've been pretty positive so I thought why not and give it a try. I usually don't like drugstore cleansers, cleansers with fragrance, or with microbeads/exfoliations, and this had all three of my "no-no's". To my amazement though, three days and all those bumps were GONE. I was totally not expecting this cleanser to fix that problem and did not even notice it until I was checking out my skin one mid-day and finally noticed, "whoa, those bumps are gone?!". I tell you my skin tone and texture has never looked so good in years and most of all, no acne! > I actually can't wait to wash my face every night because every morning my skin is improved even more. Hey, I'm as shocked and bewildered as anyone. Who knew you could get this kind of results this quickly with such a simple inexpensive drugstore cleanser. If they ever discontinued this....oh my gosh, I don't even want to think about it.

I've also just started using the Total Effect Blemish Control Moisturizer. Hopefully I'll have good news on this one too!

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 4:15:00 AM More reviews by vlj1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This cleanser feels good on my skin because of the small beads that are in it. It smells good and it is good for anti-aging/wrinkles and blemishes. Great combination in one. Helps keep skin clear and even toned.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2008 8:46:00 PM More reviews by articia527

I've tried numeroussssss cleansers and rarely find one that I really feel confident with. I love my enriched shu uemura high performance cleansing oil but I wanted something else with some anti-blemish and anti-aging benefits [never too early to start fighting mother nature!] so I tried this. My skin had been breaking out more than usual, as it tends to do in summertime, but after a week or so of using this product my skin looks much clearer, and the pores on my nose even look smaller! I am very pleasantly surprised with this and would definitely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2008 1:52:00 PM More reviews by tls03849

I am 43 yrs old and have been battling acne for the past 30 yrs. I had been using the ProActiv products for the past 10 yrs because they seemed to give me the best results. Even so, I was still suffering breakouts on a fairly regular basis and had never gone more than a day or two with no active blemishes whatsoever.

A few months ago it looked as though I was going to run out of my ProActiv cleanser before my next shipment arrived, so I went looking for an over-the-counter cleanser to tie me over till it arrived. I had been using Olay's Regenerist eye serum so when I found their Total Effects 7-in-1 anti-aging blemish control cleanser I decided that was what I wanted to try. I haven't gone back to ProActiv since. For the first time since my early teens I have consistently clear skin, free of blemishes & breakouts. Oh, I still get one or two small hormonal blemishes around 'that time', but they clear up very quickly... within just a day or two.

I cleanse my face morning & night, and even so it used to already feel like an oil slick when I woke up in the morning. But now it's much less oily and still feels clean in the morning.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2008 5:21:00 AM More reviews by girliex601x

i got this cleanser because it contains 2% bha, which is the highest i've been able to find in a drugstore cleanser. the price is actually on the higher end compared to other drugstore cleansers. my main problem w/ this cleanser is that it dries my face out afterwards, to the point where it feels painfully tight and gets really flaky. i have oily skin, and this is the first cleanser that makes my face painfully dry. other than that, the texture is nice, rinses clean, smells nice. after switching to aveeno cleanser, which also contains 2% bha, i have not experience dryness afterwards like the olay cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2008 2:29:00 AM More reviews by AutumnShadow15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Overall, I have found this to be a good cleanser. It is a non-foaming and doesn't strip or irritate your skin. It smells very nice (a bit fruity ;D) and is easy to rinse off. However, it doesn't really remove make-up well and you need to use a make remover before hand or toner afterwards to get your skin really clean. But because I have sensitive skin and have found this so gentle, I would consider repurchasing.
EDIT: Recently switched to Cetaphil. I have since realized this is too harsh for my sensitive skin. I won't but again.