Everyday Minerals Semi-Matte Foundation

3.8

Not tested on animals

Ingredients: Mica. May Contain ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 5/24/2011 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I love this base, the matte and intensive bases tend to oxidize more throughout the day, making the color change, and I feel as though they don't posses the same natural look at the end of the day as they do at the start.

The Semi-Matte has the same look morning to night, and the color options are amazing. I like that it isn't shimmery and it has an SPF in it. In the summer I would normally switch to the Original Glo Base, but I don't like the shimmer.

One container lasts me months, and it's so inexpensive. I am very acne prone and this does not break me out at all.

on 5/15/2011 4:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

At first, I really loved this foundation.

PROS:

There are tons of colors to choose from, and you can order samples galore. I found my perfect shade (Fairly Light Neutral) when I ordered the Fair sample kit. The kit was free (plus s+h) because I had ordered the Long Handled Kabuki -- great brushes, by the way.

The semi-matte base has a light to medium, buildable coverage, and it stands up to a slightly oily t-zone better than the original glow base. (The matte and intensive were a bit cakey on me.) The ingredients (or lack thereof) are amazing.

CONS:

After 3 months of use, I noticed that the powder never really melted into my skin. It was always sitting just on top of my skin, which made it very noticeable.

It does not feel as light as other mineral makeup powders, and it does not last. After 4 hours, my T-zone was oily. I also noticed oil in areas where I had never before seen oil. The longer I wore the powder, the faster it "melted" off my face.

MY ADVICE:

You get what you pay for.

on 5/1/2011 12:08:00 PM

I have been using this mineral foundation for a little more than a year now and I absolutely love it. It's hard for me to find any type of foundation that does not break me out, looks cakey, and/or makes my face into a greaseball. However, this foundation does not break me out, make me look cakey, and does not make me look like a greaseball after two hours. For the time that I have used this product, I often stray away from it to try something new, but in the end I always go back to this. I definitely believe it's my HG product!

I really like this formula for EM foundations. I usually use EM Intensive foundation in Sunkissed Fair (my PERFECT shade), but I recently ran out and I am trying to not buy anymore makeup and just swap to get things I need. The only full size I could find in my shade to swap for was in the Semi-Matte formula. Although it does not provide quite as much coverage as the Intensive, I still love how it looks. I sometimes mix in Multitasking concealer to provide more coverage. This foundation formula doesn't last all day, but it is easily touched up now that they have a closable seal over the sifter. I feel that it does control my oil pretty well and I would definitely repurchase.

on 4/10/2011 10:02:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

i love the semi-matte foundations! it gives a really natural finish to my face, and absorbs much of the facial oil, keeping my face pretty much shine free for a good period of time! a little goes a really long way! all i have to do, is just dip my brush a max of twice is more that enough to cover my face and neck!

i'm not too sure about the newer formulas as im still using the products from their 'brown casing' era, instead of the new 'white casing' designs.

on 3/18/2011 4:58:00 AM

Well it's time for EDM and I to part company. I've been using EDM foundation for many years 5+ and was sure I would never use anything else. It went on smooth, lasted all day, didn't look like I was wearing makeup, no caking, perfect. I liked all the foundation formulations too (apart from pressed) and used them for different looks (o'glow for a natural look, semi for work, matte for evening and intensive in the summer etc). I stocked up (took advantage of the bulk buy discounts so I have not had to reorder since they changed their ingredients.
So I ran out and ordered another lot, and to my horror it's completely different! It goes on evenly but looks like a mask (bought all the formulations, even o'glow looks fake) and then after about an hour it goes caking and blotchy and I can see patches, especially on my nose, where the makeup kind of congeals, yuk. I tried using primers and finishing powders to prevent this but to no avail.
I emailed EDM asking if they still had any old stock or if they would consider making a batch [as I know from this forum and elsewhere that many of you don't like the new formulation with lauroyl lysine] but they never replied (not surprising given their customer service!). So I felt I should share this experience as I think many readers may purchase EDM based on reviews of the old foundation - which was awesome.
I've moved on Silk Naturals which hasn't been around as long as EDM and is (so far) very good indeed. Can't get a good colour match from any others e.g. Lily Lolo so this was the obvious choice. I used EDM golden medium in winter and olive medium in summer so need yellow and green undertones).
I hope this helps!

on 3/17/2011 1:58:00 PM

This is my first review because I just HAVE to rave about this product. HG! I have tried tons and tons of foundations, concealers and the like and nothing comes close to EM in terms of flawlessness, price and selection. I tried BE years ago at a Sephora store when I got my makeup done there. It looked great but the next day I woke up to itchy skin and acne, which I rarely get. I think it's the Bismuth. I found EM online and liked their vibe, vegan, cruelty free, etc plus the samples make it so easy and cheap.
I am using fairly light in semi matte and the multitasking concealer and my skin looks flawless. Airbrushed even. I use such a little amount that it's gonna last forever. I also got a free blush in Hollywood, which I love. I ordered the kabuki, the angled and the flat top brushes and they are all great too. My skin is usually clear but in the few days I've been wearing this, it has improved even more. I love it.

on 2/18/2011 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I really really like this formula. I tried all of them, and this is definitely the one for me. I have pretty good skin, so I wanted something with light coverage that would look natural, make a good base for concealer and blush, and actually stay on. Well, this formula works wonderfully for all those things! It doesn't ever look cakey.
The packaging is messy, which makes it not all that travel friendly, but with results this good I don't give a hoot.

on 2/14/2011 6:37:00 PM

This makeup comes in so many colors and formula's it will take most at least a couple trial and errors to pin down the right color and your favorite formula.

That said after I had received 2 sample kits, I thought I had it figured out. I ordered Multi-tasking neutral in the Orginal Glo formula. I was happy with it, at first, but noticed that the color darkened after my natural oils started melding with it after about 1 hour. Also noticed that my nose and chin "shine" came thru quicker than I liked. NOTE: I was very happy though that my skin, which can be considered sensitive, had no reaction whatsoever.

After a few days, I received in the mail, the 3rd sample kit I had orderd (which I forgot about) in the Fair colors. All along I was thinking, "the Fair selection will be too light for me". I was wrong again, with both color AND formula!

I am happy to say that I found my perfect match in Fairly light neutral in the semi-matte formula and I LOVE IT!

I have been using it now for about two weeks and my skin has had NO breakouts, rashes, problems whatsoever! In fact, I think this stuff has actually helped my skin get in better condition.

I have ordered a full size of the fairly light neutral in semi-matte and plan on keeping this makeup as my HG.

on 2/9/2011 11:42:00 PM

This is a really great powder foundation. I never really thought I could get such coverage with a powder but with this one you can build it to get a light or more full look. I got the tester pack and would just use it as a concealer but then I thought - why don't I just buy a full size and use it all over my face? It's pretty affordable and lasts a long time. It gives a great glow to the face (not dewy but glowy) and it looks especially great in photos. My skin always stands out and people comment on how great it looks :) On really hot days it's not that great because I found that you could kind of see where I was sweating from and I'd get little dots from my pores. Every other day it's great though :) Definitely will buy again.