August 28, 2014 | 1844 users online

Loose Powders - BeneFit Cosmetics - Bluff Dust

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2006 5:25:00 PM More reviews by eadinsmo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

The Benefit guy talked me into getting this with the brush, and I regretted it when I tried to use it next. It just looked so .... obviously yellow. But after reading these reviews, I think I may have been doing it wrong. I may give it another chance and see if it works better if applied much more lightly with another sort of brush (the brush that goes with it is a kind of dense Kabuki brush, and is very nice on its own).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2006 1:19:00 AM More reviews by missamerica32

I must agree with the previous review...no dramatic product here...too sheer for my needs...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2006 11:35:00 PM More reviews by lil_me

Though this felt silky, I'm now sure it really did anything to conceal my redness. I guess it was too sheer...

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2006 10:01:00 PM More reviews by bermudabetty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The very bright yellow colour of this talc based powder did nothing for my light complexion and I hated the design of the packaging. On the plus side the powder is light and fluffy and excellent in quality.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2006 12:44:00 PM More reviews by rperrin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

From the perspective of a makeup artist, this product kicks major butt! For myself, I love that I can dust this over my pale skin on my "no-makeup" days. I use a kabuki or powder brush to apply gently over areas that get red, including my eyelids and around my nose.

It's lovely to apply over concealer or light foundation on acne-prone skin and actually has a nice ingredient list including Nylon-12 and a variety of silicones which add to the smooth wearability. If someone is seeing this product as too chalky or yellow, they are definitely piling too much of it on.

I do have pale yellow-based skin, but tend to be neutral-yellow as opposed to yellow-yellow. I haven't used this on dark skin yet, but will update once I do!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2006 3:22:00 PM More reviews by stellir

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow. HELLO YELLOW! I swapped for this based on the great reviews here, but no matter how little I use, I look yellow. And my skin is definitely more yellow-toned. *sigh* Oh well, back to T LeClerc Banane, which is also yellow and costs a small fortune but doesn't look yellow on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2006 8:52:00 AM More reviews by AnnKB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd never tried yellow powders but heard they were good for redness rather than green so I thought I'd try this one from Benefit. it looks quite bright in the pot but doesn't look as yellow on. I found it did dull my red cheeks a little but not as much as I'd hoped. I use it as a finishing powder as it is very fine,doesn't leave a chalky finish and is far better than any other i've used plus you don't have to match it to your skin. the colour suits my complexion which is pale with yellow undertones. I would probably try a different make as there are lots about now but harder to get in the UK than this one. would probably purchase again if I couldn't find a good alternative. the pot isn't great, and its better to use a soft brush instead of the puff that comes with it. UPdate: I like this better used with the flocked sponge I got from everyday minerals. thanks to them for shipping to UK & not charging a fortune!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2006 2:44:00 PM More reviews by BYVETTEQ

I WILL NOT LIVE WITHOUT THIS PRODUCT. Sounds dramatic, I know. But I never liked loose-powders before. I have combo/oily skin, very light-complexion. I wear foundation everyday (Laura Mercier's Oil-free) and was satisfied with the "dewy" finish my oily skin gave me. Until I happened to test this at my local Sephora. When I was driving home I glanced at the rear view mirror and caught a glimse of my face. I was shocked and ecstatic. Compulsive-me had to go back and buy it that day after I picked up my kids from day-care. It is awesome!! My skin always tended to redden because I'm so white, and my dad's a redhead. I used foundation to mask it, but this powder over my usual foundation gives me the complexion I only dreamed I would have. I know it's not just me. The other day some sales-girls at a Dior counter were raving about my skin and wrote down the name of this loose-powder. If cosmetics salespeople are impressed, it's good.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2006 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Ciji63

Not the worst face powder (I did use the entire package up) but nothing special either and IT DID NOT TAKE ANY REDNESS AWAY! It also didn't keep the oil slick away any better than cheaper powders I have used. The powder appears very yellow but really isn't once applied. The pouf is totally useless - any idiot knows you need a good brush to apply face powder! Benefit is better at creating cute names and packaging than superior products. Don't waste your time!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2006 11:16:00 AM More reviews by lulu_447

I'm not usually a huge fan of most Benefit products, they seem to be over- rated and gimmicky. However, after trying my sister's Bluff Dust I had to rush out and buy my own (actually I bought it very cheaply on ebay!) Benefit have actually made something that works! This yellowy powder is absolutely great, it conceals any uneven skintone, redness, oiliness and even seems to hide any open pores. Before using this I had been using Jo Malone Finishing Powder which was good but did seem to highlight the pores either side of my nose where the sparkly shimmer seemed to gather. There is no shimmer whatsoever in this powder so this problem does not occour and strangely for such a matte powder, it isn't at all cakey and doesn't make my skin look 'dead'. The powder is fairly easy to apply, I use my big Chanel powder brush which seems to work perfectly to give a wonderful, sheer veil of perfecting powder.