April 21, 2014 | 1214 users online

Treatments - Alpha Hydrox - AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2011 1:08:00 AM More reviews by sailorsally

a-maz-ing. i have never written a review for face products, as i have never been so impressed asi have with alpha hydrox. i have fair skin with scarring and regular blemishes on my chin AND big pores, AND the occasional cyst which looks just lovely on my pale face. after using this product once, the pores in my nose shrunk, my skin glowed, and i have not had a new blemish in over 2 weeks. the scarring is going away, and i have not felt more radiant and fresh in years. i bought the face wash, 10% lotion, and 12% souffle from amazon for like $40, and have been washing twice a day (the wash is mild, not drying) and using the lotion for daytime and the souffle at night and for spot treatments. this is something i will buy over and over and over again. i would definitely throw some sunscreen in there too for day use; i spent an hour running outside yesterday and have a slightly pink face today.

but yes, if you have hormonal problem skin, buy this, you will be so excited that you did.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by kristalblair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately I have to give this product a rather poor rating, which is a shame because if only Alpha Hydrox could have found a more suitable PH stabilizer I may have used this. It is said that Ammonium Hydroxide is safe in small amounts when used in the cosmetic industry, but since they aren't regulated very well I refuse to put my trust into these companies who continue to use harmful ingredients. I have also been told by sales clerks at Ulta that Ammonia Hydroxide is said to be relatively safe as long as the percentage doesn't exceed 6%, but this stuff is seriously fatal in larger amounts and can cause many kinds of skin reactions. I know a lot of people who would be much more comfortable using Alpha Hydrox if only they stopped using Ammonium Hydroxide as the third listed ingredient! WOW! And, it's also fatal in any amount to all aquatic life! So it isn't environmentally safe either. I used glycolic acid in other products, such as Reviva, which is more natural. The first time I bought this I didn't take the time to read the ingredients, which I should have; I was just eager to try glycolic acid and this was the least expensive product at Ulta that had the highest amount of glycolic acid. I tried it on my face and I instantly felt a strange burning sensation, which is supposedly normal, but I also felt small bumps appearing all over my face! Now, purging shouldn't be occurring that fast. This product, even with just one use dulled my complexion, and glycolic acid is supposed to do the exact opposite. I wish this product would have better catered to my needs, but I wouldn't give it another opportunity on account of the ammonium hydroxide and the long list of ingredients compared to better glycolic products out there. Reviva, on the other hand while a bit more expensive has really helped my skin out and so has Peter Thomas Roth's Gentle Complexion pads with 10% glycolic acid. So, in my experience I do not write off the side effects as being a direct effect of the glycolic acid.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 5:02:00 PM More reviews by maggiecuda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wish this came in a pump container. ONLY complaint.

This is a fantastic, affordable alpha hydroxy cream. It has a reasonable percentage of glycolic acid to use as a nightly exfoliating product. It's gentle, doesn't break me out, and provides consistent improvement.

If you want something heavier, I would recommend Skin Laboratory's 35% glycolic peel. This Alpha Hydrox cream will NOT give you the dramatic results a peel with a higher percentage will. It WILL, however, maintain the results from said peels and will refine your skin. I really recommend this cream as an alternative to manual exfoliation. It also works as a spot treatment.

Lastly, make sure you use sunblock religiously, as with any alpha hydroxy. This is really important. Not only will your hard work be canceled out, you will see OPPOSITE results (i.e. dark spots will become darker, etc.). This is why I recommend using this cream at night.

A++ HG material.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2011 7:00:00 AM More reviews by Monique372

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a little too strong for everyday use for me (I prefer the Enhanced Lotion w/ only 10% AHA)...but it is an EXCELLENT peel...I put a thick layer on and because it is only 12% AHA, I can leave it on for a few hours even, like on a Sunday afternoon or something and then rinse it off. Works great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Stressa

I love this stuff -- I use it at night, and it makes such a difference with my face and neck. My skin feels super smooth and looks much brighter and refreshed. I took a couple of points off for packaging, since it is a jar and that's not very hygenic (vs. a pump dispenser), but this is one product that I will never be without.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by leeli86

I bought this hoping it would be a cheaper replacement for my HG Neostrata products and let's just say it was a total fail! I expected something very similar to Neostrata and since it had more of the active ingredient (12% vs. 10%) and rave reviews my expectations were high. Well this stuff slowly ruined my skin by clogging up every single pore! It's just a meh product in my opinion. I actually saw a regression in my skin and didn't think it was earth shattering at all. I went with it until I used it up and my skin was clogged, breaking out, and dull. As soon as I switched back to my regular skincare my skin was back to it's clear radiant self within a week and a half. I only give alpha hydrox three stars because it's a glycolic product at a more than decent price. It just didn't work for me so I'm going to warn other oily skined girls away. Apparently they also make an oil-free version which may have worked better for me but I think I will be sticking with what I know works from now on.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2011 9:06:00 AM More reviews by Lmrought

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product and definitely have a noticeable difference in my skin. I use this daily at night and switch on and off from my Neostrata Lotion Plus AHA - Just because I like to switch it up. My face is so much smoother and more even. I also haven't had any breakouts. I don't know if it's hormonal or it's the treatments but I'm not complaining! Will buy again when my jar is out - which it's getting close! The only thing I don't like about this product is that it is in a jar. I wish it was in a pump. I just hate re-dipping into this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2011 11:26:00 PM More reviews by hellokittybrock

This products. I didnt use this on my face. I used it daily on my neck and chest area. I have some chicken skin on these areas and it bothered me since I didnt look 100% fantastic in clothing. haha. I used it everyday for 2 weeks and yesterday when i looked into the mirror, my skin glows. This product is extremely gentle. There is no irritation at all. But you need to judge for yourself. If your skin is oily most prob you could use this on your face daily.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by sfrancis91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product completely saved my skin. I've battled with mild-moderate acne since puberty and have tried every prescription cream out there. To be fair, I didn't use them every single day because my skin would become too dry and irritated and I would have to wait for it to heal. My skin was actually clear for the two years I was on birth control. However this past summer my skin began breaking out horribly. I always had several huge painful pimples (not sure if it was cystic acne or not). As soon as one cleared up, another came to replace it. Long story short, my skin was not pretty and I couldn't go out without concealer, I was embarrassed to be without makeup on in my own apartment with my roommates! I started using Neutrogena healthy skin with AHA in December, and my skin started clearing up, my obsession with AHA products began. I learned about Alpha Hydrox 12% Souffle and started using it shortly after Christmas. I use it almost every night on my face and my skin has never looked better! It is drying, but it isn't a moisturizer so that isn't shocking. I usually put Aveeno moisturizer on top and I wake up and my skin is so soft. The red marks from my previous acne are still visible, but they are already fading! Any time I feel a pimple coming on, or see a little bump, I place the souffle on and it doesn't form. I LOVE this product and am looking forward to the future result!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by blondetoadie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used to use this years ago and for some reason I quit. I am always on the lookout for the latest and greatest skin care product. After a HORRIBLE experience with Peter Thomas Roth retinol fusion, I decided I would go back to this to try and rectify the wrong that PTR did to me. I don't understand why I ever stopped using this product. Probably because I didn't think an inexpensive drugstore product could work better than the expensive brands. I couldn't have been more wrong. This has already started to clear up my skin ( thanks for the breakouts PTR ) and has added a glow to my parched complexion. ( thanks again PTR ) I use this under my Clinique Dramatically different moisturizing lotion and the results really are fantastic.