Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief

3.8

INGREDIENTS: water, cyclopentasiloxane, butylene glycol, glycerin, birch bark extract, lady's thistle extract, green tea leaf extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, sucrose, aloe barbadensis leaf water, trehalose, hydroxyethyl urea, sorbitol, oleth-10, tromethamine, caffeine, hydrogenated lecithin, hydrolyzed extensin, sodium hyaluronate, tocopheryl acetate, palmitoyl olgiopeptide, caprylyl glycol, dimethicone, glyceryl polymethacrylate, peg-8, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolumer, magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate, carbomer, hexylene glycol, disodium edta, phenoxyethanol, red 4 (CI 14700), yellow 5 (CI 19140) [ILN33654].___________________________________________________________________Iingredients as of 2014: water\aqua\eau [] dimethicone [] butylene glycol [] trisiloxane [] glycerin [] betula alba (birch) bark extract [] silybum marianum (lady's thistle) extract [] camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract [] saccharomyces lysate extract [] sucrose [] aloe barbadensis leaf water [] trehalose [] thermus thermophillus ferment [] sorbitol [] oleth-10 [] tromethamine [] caffeine [] hydrogenated lecithin [] sodium hyaluronate [] tocopheryl acetate [] palmitoyl oligopeptide [] caprylyl glycol [] glyceryl polymethacrylate [] peg-8 [] ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolymer [] magnesium ascorbyl phosphate [] carbomer [] hexylene glycol [] disodium edta [] phenoxyethanol [] red 4 (ci 14700) [] yellow 5 (ci 19140)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I used to use this when I was younger and I ended up with a sample tub at Sephora recently. I don't know if the formula has changed or if it's just that my skin has changed, but I really did not like this.

At first it applies nicely, it feels moisturising on the skin and made me feel very hydrated post mask application. However, I noticed that once it started drying I was left with this sticky residue on my face that was very irritating.

I ended up wiping it off and reapplying my Clarins moisturiser because I couldn't stand the feeling of it on my skin. I the Moisture Surge cream again on another evening and still experienced the same stickiness. Threw the rest of the sample out and won't be trying it again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My skin is dry to normal in summer but in winter its very dry and prone to patches of eczema. This product just doesn't moisturise my skin at all, even in summer.

It's silky smooth and gel like to touch and very soothing and cool when applied. But then it feels like it just sits on top of your skin and doesn't sink in, which seems to be proved by my skin starting to feel tight again only about 20 mins later. So unfortunately it was a complete waste of money for me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when everyone says this is great for dry winter skin. I am usually oily, but this winter have developed a lot more dryness and irritation. I've been trying various things to give me moisture without giving me acne. I found this LESS moisturizing than most anything I've tried. It might be nice in the spring. But I put it on after the shower and my face felt dry and tight again within 15 minutes; I had to put another moisturizer over the top (which I'm sure wont help the acne I've suddenly been fighting in addition to my new dry, sensitive skin.) I think it's probably a nice enoug lighter moisturizer, but I wouldn't recommend for dry/sensitive.

This is another great product that tames my winter skin and really soothes it. I didn't buy it but found it in my Mom's stash over Winter Holiday. Well, she said, you can take it and use it! Yay! Love it!

On my second jar of this. My thoughts:
- Skin feels very supple and plumped (instead of oily like many moisturizers) after using this
- Great moisturizer underneath makeup as it does not interfere with it but can prevent flakes/ fine lines from showing due to dryness
- Pretty much a no-brainer: you can use it in the morning, midday, or in your night-time skincare routine on top of any thicker moisturizer (if that's what you need)
- However, I'm surprised to see how people claim it works well for them in "colder months" - it's most certainly not moisturizing enough to be used on its own in dry/cold times. Even "oily" skin needs a bit of oil in the cold months, cause skin will produce more oil in reaction to its dry condition, making the "oil" situation even worse. For me, my skin goes flaky in like an hour if I just use this alone in winter.
- Overall, a great lightweight, non-greasy moisturizer.
- PS. Before the Overnight Mask came out, Clinique claimed you could use this as a mask but I guess the Overnight Mask does a much better job at this :)

Please kindly rate if you find it help/unhelpful, thanks and hope it helps! x

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing this product! I have very very dry skin and in the winter I started looking for a better moisturizer. I had been wanting to try this one and purchased it in a Christmas set. It basically destroyed my skin. The more I used it, the drier and tighter my skin got. It felt like it just sat on the top of my skin instead of sinking in and actually moisturizing. Thank God for coconut oil otherwise I don't think my skin would have gone back to normal. Thankfully I was able to return it but I will never ever ever buy this again.

Favourite product ive ever used! I have very dry skin and it really helps.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This burnt my skin severely. Up until a few years ago I had combination skin with a very oily t-zone, but lately age has made my skin dry and sensitive, and Winters in Sweden does not improve that condition. So, this year, I really needed something that would reboot my moisture, I had tried Avenée Skin Recovery Cream (Rich), but that made my skin itch and turn red. After reading reviews here at MUA I decided to go for Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief. Big mistake!

It gave my skin burning red patches, stinging every time I put on the cream. It left a sticky film on my skin that took a very long time to sink in (more than 15 minutes) which made it very difficult to put on makeup. I had to wait a long time between using the moisturizer and putting on foundation (Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation). My skin turned all bright pink and sore.

The jar is not practical - I bought small 'spatulas" to avoid putting my fingers into the cream.

Did it moisturize? Yes it did, and it did plump up some of my fine lines, but the cost (i.e. burning skin) was not worth it. I stopped using it after two weeks since my skin didn't improve, only got worse.

I caution you reader to be really careful before buying this product. It might help you (as it has for other MUA:s), but it might also ruin your skin. I ended up buying the far less expensive Eucerin AQUAporin Active Rich and that has calmed my skin - almost normalizing it!

Beautiful gel moisturiser that can be applied a few different ways- mask, moisturiser, eye cream. I use it as a moisturiser- mostly for day time, because I use Obagi at night. It really soothes and moisturises any skin flakiness and it doesn't really have a scent which is good. Really nice. Might be a bit heavy if you have oily skin. Normally the Clinique counter will provide you a sample if you want to give it a go at home.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

My mom used to buy Clinique products almost exclusively before she went back to Fashion Fair (their colors suit her gorgeous almond skin much better than Clinique or any other brand geared towards Caucasian women ever will), and since she always spent over $40, she would get the gift bag with the samples. That's one great thing about Clinique-they NEVER shirk on giving you good samples.

Anyways, so that's how I got the Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief sample. This came with their yellow Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (which I'm not a huge fan of) along with some chubby stick lippies and an eyeshadow or two. I started off using the Dramatically Different but didn't like it too much because it always felt too greasy. So I threw this into my overnight bag and didn't expect much. However, winter is ALWAYS a match for my skin, and it just gets very red, raw and chapped during our dry California winters.

I used this product after washing my face when my skin felt extra dry. I loved it almost immediately. It sinks right into my skin, but at the same time it feels so good.....just cool and moisturizing and like this burst of coolness that extra dry skin really needs. It is also very thick, with an almost creamy texture. It's definitely not whipped, and I think this may be why I like it, because it's a thick, moisturizing lotion that does not leave any grease film behind. I applied this to my forehead, cheeks, chin and right around my mouth, and noticed a positive difference after waiting to apply my makeup for 20 minutes after using moisturizer. My primer seemed to glide on better, and even while applying primer and foundation my skin just felt so moisturized.

This does have a slightly strong fragrance. I'm not sure what it smells like to me. Flowery cold-cream, maybe? Light chemical nonsense? I don't know, but this product works, and it does not break me out.

It does not come in a pump or a tube, but instead in a cute little tub. Normally this would be an issue for me, but this is a THICK product. It won't move on your fingers at all.

At $34 a tub, I will sadly NOT be purchasing a tub of this until I have steady work again. It's unfortunate, because this really makes me want to explore more of Clinique's products. I've loved 90% of the samples my mom used to pass down to me. My mother was so loyal to Clinique for years, and I remember going with her to their counter as a five and six year old and watching them apply makeup to her face and thinking that she looked as beautiful as a queen. She still does. I think that's what brings product loyalty and keeps consumers coming back, year after year, is word of mouth. Or for some of us, knowing that our mothers were loyal to a brand because they knew it treated them well for so long. Hell, my mom STILL buys their signature fragrance, Happy.

Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief will definitely be a staple in my product stash, but I'm going to save it for special occasions (aka on the rare days I do wear makeup) so that it'll last until I can buy a full sized tub. I can easily see this replacing my current moisturizer of choice, Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for Combination Skin. If this had SPF, it would be perfect. Even so, it's almost there.