October 21, 2014 | 1537 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 11:19:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I really, really dislike this one. More than most perfumes I dislike. To me, it's the female equivalent to Gray Flannel.
It's overpowering, and I thought it to be pungent, not at all what I expected by looking at the bottle or the enticing name.
Brand new, it smells to me like a perfume that has 'turned'.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Lignyca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I always liked the smell of forest and this beautiful perfume gives me what I need. It relaxes me and I love it so much! It's my favorite and always will be.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 2:06:00 PM More reviews by shalinigupta1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wore this back in the mid 90s and loved it. But then never wore it again till now. I don't know why because it's still as gorgeous as ever. Others can describe the notes better but what is so great about this scent is that it is very different from most of the scents out there. Also, not too many people are wearing this scent so you won't smell yourself coming and going.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2011 6:44:00 PM More reviews by hadas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Composed by perfumer Bernard Chant (who also did Cabochard and Azuree) Clinique's Aromatic Elixir opens with a bracing, polarizing burst of herbs and citrus, which will have the people in your general vicinity either fleeing in abject horror or turning in your direction to face the beast, intrigued. After this medicinal blast begins to die down, which happens very quickly, the prettiest rose emerges on my skin. Incredibly lovely and fairly realistic, it is a growing, blossoming rose at home among the loamy, moist earth from which it sprang, dirtied up as it is by patchouli and oakmoss - but it is dewy and unmistakably floral nevertheless. At this stage it reminds me a lot of a much stronger, (i.e. more detectable) version of "Y" de YSL's drydown. Lovely stuff if you have the chemistry for it and can wait a few minutes for the bitter top notes to fade.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2011 11:13:00 AM More reviews by allureveil

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For years, I didn't get this fragrance at all, but for whatever reason (they changed it? my body switched gears? whatever) I'm going through a real Aromatics Elixir craze. The first time I layered it with the body lotion, I thought it smelled just hideous. Gotta give it dry down time. Now I'm very careful not to hose it on, and am really loving it myself. No reviews from others, pro or con, have come in yet, but if I get any real rant negatives or rave positives, I'll update. The advice to try it on yourself before buying is most appropriate with any chypre, IMHO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by ella343

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Aromatics Elixir has what I would call, somewhat anachronistically, the Angel effect. It is a blinding epiphany on rare individuals, but many are apt to react in horror. Earth goddess patchouli in full force, quite gritty and brooding unless you've got a taste for it, like muddy, fetid leaf drift. It's only when you apply very sparingly that its other qualities shine: a dense herbal undergrowth of geranium, chamomile, and clary sage, a brightening via rose, the green light of oakmoss, black-leather vetiver, and smoky resinous sandalwood. It only goes to show how varied an olfactory family can be: Chanel Cristalle captures an intense, arid luminosity, while the elegant YSL Y is a languid green glow, but Aromatics Elixir is an essay on dirt. It's not a meaty, animalic darkness, but quite mineral, with a little vegetable accent. The result is quite stark, almost a hippie 70s cliché, which is perhaps not exactly in tune with Clinique's clinical pretensions, but it remains one of the more unusual in the battalion of commercial offerings, neither floral nor sweet, but wild, dark, and earthy.

It smells horrible on my skin, but I've definitely encountered it on the right person, and it's simply marvelous.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2010 2:06:00 PM More reviews by despoina76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

SUBHUMAN85 wrote everything,nothing for me to say,an oriental feminine parfume,i love it,nobody can forgets you when you wear it,this is a parfume job,it is your signature.And yes,i was always against Unisex fragrances.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 8:42:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a love/hate scent imo. Normally I love chypres but this one is just too pervasive for me. It has a HUGE thwack of patchouli and a woodsy drydown. Very distinctive, once smelt never forgotten but headache juice to me I'm afraid. Ladies who love this one pleeeeez do not cover yourself in it - a little goes a long way. And you might want to consider carefully before wearing to a restaurant or theatre. There are some, eg me who would rather enjoy their meal/the show without having to taste your scent too. many thanks.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2010 11:19:00 AM More reviews by MarianNorris

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I do believe this is the worst fragrance that I have ever sprayed on myself! UGH! Unbelievably BAD!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 10:14:00 AM More reviews by syltetyta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

For a woody oriental gal like me, Aromatics Elixir was a disapointment.
The SA promised woody, earthy non-sweet and urged me to try this on, but forgot to mention chypre.
In the true old chypre way.
Just what Aromatics Elixir is.

Chypres doesn't work on me at all.
And unfortunately, this is one of my skrubbers.
If I was only able to pull out some of the flowers at least - but no - only repulsive patchouli and a decaying vetiver on the base of bitter, bitter, bitter oakmoss.
It smells horrific on me, and brings out images of old ladies, their old medicin cabinets, and my fathers old travel bag.
Right now I'm not able to imagine that this will smell great on anybody else, so hopefully someone will prove me wrong one day and show me how delightful it may be on them.

By all means, go ahead and try it - please try before you buy!
But for me: