April 24, 2014 | 1948 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2010 2:06:00 PM More reviews by despoina76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

SUBHUMAN85 wrote everything,nothing for me to say,an oriental feminine parfume,i love it,nobody can forgets you when you wear it,this is a parfume job,it is your signature.And yes,i was always against Unisex fragrances.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2010 8:42:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a love/hate scent imo. Normally I love chypres but this one is just too pervasive for me. It has a HUGE thwack of patchouli and a woodsy drydown. Very distinctive, once smelt never forgotten but headache juice to me I'm afraid. Ladies who love this one pleeeeez do not cover yourself in it - a little goes a long way. And you might want to consider carefully before wearing to a restaurant or theatre. There are some, eg me who would rather enjoy their meal/the show without having to taste your scent too. many thanks.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2010 11:19:00 AM More reviews by MarianNorris

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I do believe this is the worst fragrance that I have ever sprayed on myself! UGH! Unbelievably BAD!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 10:14:00 AM More reviews by syltetyta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

For a woody oriental gal like me, Aromatics Elixir was a disapointment.
The SA promised woody, earthy non-sweet and urged me to try this on, but forgot to mention chypre.
In the true old chypre way.
Just what Aromatics Elixir is.

Chypres doesn't work on me at all.
And unfortunately, this is one of my skrubbers.
If I was only able to pull out some of the flowers at least - but no - only repulsive patchouli and a decaying vetiver on the base of bitter, bitter, bitter oakmoss.
It smells horrific on me, and brings out images of old ladies, their old medicin cabinets, and my fathers old travel bag.
Right now I'm not able to imagine that this will smell great on anybody else, so hopefully someone will prove me wrong one day and show me how delightful it may be on them.

By all means, go ahead and try it - please try before you buy!
But for me:
Thanks, but no thanks.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 11:30:00 AM More reviews by redredredlips

Well what can I add to subhuman 85's substantial review below? It is a classic with reason, and I just love it. Only disadvantage is that my very allergic sister will sneeze constantly when I wear this perfume, probably because of the oakmoss as subhuman 85 explains.
If you like very earthly, patchouli scents, try this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2010 4:14:00 PM More reviews by subhuman85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Aromatics Elixir hearkens back to a time when a) perfumes were meant to be worn and evaluated at length, not sprayed on paper and judged in the first five seconds; b) feminine fragrances weren't afraid to have a little swagger in their step and an edge to their beauty; c) natural essences and fixatives weren't restricted and outlawed like contraband; and d) lasting power and potent sillage were a matter of course, not an anomaly in the fragrance market. Aromatics Elixir is utterly, and blessedly, not of this era.

It goes on bitter, bracing, and borderline revolting at first. Much is made of old-school chypre fragrances filled with piss and vinegar, but AE smells literally OF piss and vinegar to a modern nose like mine. At least up close, and immediately after applying. But wait a few minutes, walk around, and catch some whiffs of its sillage. Hey, not bad - floral, a bit sharp, slightly green and citrusy, with a wonderful undercurrent of patchouli, oakmoss and leather. It gets better. Half an hour after spraying AE on my arm, I'm in powdery floral heaven - it's simply gorgeous and elegant, bringing to mind a pricey hand cream. Eventually, even the spray site on my arm, which smelled bilious only a short while ago, has become a soft, herbal, warm, and (no, really) sensual essence. Oakmoss has been restricted in perfumery use as of late due to its allergenic potential, but it's irreplaceable in classic chypre compositions like this one, and it lends a lovely intimacy and warmth to AE's drydown. I'm a patchouli lover, and AE is catnip to my nose - the patchouli in AE is a far cry from the sanitized, clean version popular today in fragrances like Coco Mademoiselle and Midnight Poison. AE's patchouli is more like that of Thierry Mugler's Angel: rough, sharp, earthy, and wonderfully grounding.

I simply can't emphasize enough the need to test AE on skin (don't bother with paper strips), and with patience, in order to fully appreciate it and get a true sense of its character. I'd go so far as to recommend spraying it on your hand and not sniffing for at least five minutes, preferably 10. Hit up the Clinique counter, spritz, and go about your business. The sillage will hit you soon enough - it's utterly pervasive, and trails like nothing I have ever experienced in a fragrance - and only then will you see exactly what Aromatics Elixir has to offer. Its potency and reasonable price (25 ml for about $40 here in Canada) offer an excellent value, especially in this age of designer fragrances that evaporate faster than the credit card transactions that paid for them. And, in 21st-century terms, AE is totally unisex - not too butch for a woman to wear, but not at all too sweet or floral for a guy to pull off, and with an herbal, mossy edge that smells great on both sexes.

Aromatics Elixir is a classic for a reason, and a must-sniff - whether you end up loving or hating it - for all fragrance fanatics.

34 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2010 9:11:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't know why I like Aromatics Elixir but I do. It's very different from any other fragrances I wear and I can find it a bit overpoweringly heavy but still, I like it. To me, it's very much a fall/winter time fragrance - that is the only time I wear it - and I never wear it at work just because it is so heavy. But still, I like it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 2:29:00 PM More reviews by CarrieLynnJ

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Add me to the LOVE column. I just trialed this and I can't get enough. Unfortunately I just purchased a bottle of parfume (a lovely hermes scent) so I cant justify getting this yet. But its definitely on my list. I am usually good at pulling out the different notes but on this it just feels like everything rounds out so well you cant pull it apart. It reminds me of one of those hideously expensive Aveda oils in its scent. I love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2010 12:22:00 AM More reviews by chloepoodle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I keep coming back to this, but it's a tricky one. It's so strong there is a fine line between great and nauseating. This can be manged through creative application. I spray once over my body (in underwear) in a swoop and it lasts all day. Sprayed right out of the shower works, too.
That takes care of the cons.
The pros are that this fragarance is unique and simply beautiful; balanced between sweet and sharp, floral and herbal/chypre. I continually get compliments when wearing this. The body smoother is wonderful, true to the fragrance and when applied on arms or shoulders is a softer way to wear this scent. The spray device allows for control to apply a mini-spritz. The bottle is attractive and is easy to handle. The price is well within reason for a quality fragrance.
This is one scent that makes me happy just to smell it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2010 7:00:00 PM More reviews by mermaidmaenad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

i love this. great sillage. longest lasting fragrance ive ever used. smells like fall/winter. woods and fire place and also new york city all in one. smells like the 1970s to me. i just love it and wear it and appreciate it. have owned many bottles of it in my life. strong, bold, winter-y, and sophisticated. love.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No