September 30, 2014 | 1976 users online

Makeup Brushes - E.L.F. - Total Face Brush

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2012 5:51:00 AM More reviews by yellowrice

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Where I come from, make-up and make-up brushes are enormously expensive. So I thought I'd give the brushes from ELF a go, since they are way cheaper than any brush lines in my country.

Unlike many other reviews it's gotten here on MUA, I didn't find this brush horribly scratchy etc. I've tried worse, trust me. Brushes from "drugstores" (not 'certified' stores, they just sell stuff like drugstores) from China are NO-NO. I once bought a brush, with the same colour as this ELF total face brush (red), it was scratchy, itched on my face whenever I used it, didn't pick up the colours very well, had a LOT of fall outs.... And it also leaked colour when I washed it. A lot. All the times I washed it.

Since I've tried this brush (I've only used it twice so far), I can definitely say that this brush is GOOD - when you look at the price, that is. It does leak red colour when washing, but the bristles are quite soft. I would say it is a dense brush, but ofc not as dense as kabuki brushes. When I got the brush it kind of had a weird packaged smell. Didn't smell nice. But brushed aren't really for smelling anyway.

Overall I would not recommend this brush though. It works fine with me, since it is so cheap. But because of the colour leaking I wouldn't buy it again. If you're fine with the leaking, this brush would be a nice buy. For 1 dollar (where I live 2,5 dollars - perhaps because of taxes) it's a good brush. And it does pick up a fine amount of pigment.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by cleo_satsweet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Awful just awful. I bought this since my local dollarama carried this for a while. This is scratchy, doesnt pick up products...does nothing.
We cannot get elf in Canada so I just pick up some of the studio line products while in US. I am not sure why anyone would purchase these since for 2$ more you can get the studio line brushes which are awesome btw

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2012 2:55:00 AM More reviews by rarityfalls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

The second that I bought this brush and took it out of the packaging, the handle broke off. Which was a bummer. But it was easily glued back on, so that was okay.

I personally love this brush. It picks up so much product regardless of what it is. I don't use this as my main powder or bronzer brush. I use this as a blush brush. This is for when I want a sweeped on, colorful color to my cheeks. I love it.

I don't get all the complaints with this brush. I don't notice any smell. I love the color of the bristles. And hey, sometimes bristles shed. As long as it's not too often, I'm okay. I haven't noticed any bristles shedding out of this brush though.

I have high end brushes and inexpensive brushes, and yet this ranks at the top for me. I respect the negative reviews, but if you're on the fence about this brush, take my advice and just buy it.

A. It's a stellar brush. Great design, great color, great application. (The only issue is how the handle broke off, but I just got a bad one)

B. It's only one dollar! At least that's how much I paid. A pack of gum is more expensive.

So take a shot at this brush. If you love it, awesome. You just saved yourself from shelling out mega bucks on the same brush for 40 dollars by a different brand. But hey, if it's not your style, it's cool. It's only a dollar.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/1/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by star89dlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I didn't like this brush at all. The hairs on this brush irritated my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2012 6:05:00 AM More reviews by jen920

It's an okay brush. It's served me well for the better part of a year now. I think I'll go for the face brush in the studio line once I'm done with this one, but seeing as I don't have too many complaints, it might be a while before I take the plunge and shell out three whole dollars for the Studio brush. Le gasp. ;)

It's not the softest brush, but it does get the job done and it's dirt cheap. I don't recall noticing any particular smell when I got it, but it's fine now and I guess if I don't particularly remember it it couldn't have been that bad. Sheds a few bristles here and there but that's not a big deal for me. I'm not a huge on brushes- I just like them cheap and easy to use. This one fits the bill for applying powder and other all-over products to my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2012 8:29:00 AM More reviews by bieberchar

Why does everyone hate this, its amazing, yes it may shed or it might be a bit scratchy, but it stil works. Just Saying!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/15/2012 7:29:00 PM More reviews by TacyBabe107

I hate to say this, because I absolutely love elf, but this brush sucks. First of all, it does smell pretty bad. Second, I went to use it, and it actually hurts to brush it over your face. It actually made my face red from scratching it. And I'm not a person who has ever owned a super nice brush in my life, so I'm not comparing it to a $25.00 MAC brush. Plain and simple, this brush sucks. It's worth the extra few dollars to buy a better quality brush, like Sonia Kashuk.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/15/2012 7:58:00 AM More reviews by starsmaycollide

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this brush sucks. when i got it i was excited because it was so cheap, then i had a whiff and it stinks! so i thought maybe it was just a "new brush" smell, then i washed it with my brush cleaner, and the water turned brown, like the brush's dye was running or something! ewww... oh and furthermore i washed it like 6 more times to try to get the brush color to stop running, but it didn't work and the water i washed it out into continued running out brown so i gave up. also the smell of the brush remained. i absolutely hate this, and i hate that i wasted my money on it, even if it was only 3 AUD$ on ebay. i've bought unbranded brushes from china which are better and cheaper than this piece of crap. so i'll be sticking to my ecotools

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by applecour

I love this brush. On days that I don't need medium-full coverage, I use this brush with my powder foundation to just dust a nice layer over my face and neck. This brush can actually build the powder to medium coverage with no problem in no time at all. It's also really good for using with powder to set liquid foundations, and as a blender after you put on powder foundation with a sponge applicator. Love it. It's a staple in my eyes.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Redbone21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This brush sux lol sorry just speaking the truth. Its not a total loss because it was only $1 off the elf site and i got other brushes. Its scratchy the bristles fall on your face the floor etc. Too much. Put up the extra $ for the elf studio brushes. Those are SOFT :o)