August 21, 2014 | 1782 users online

Fragrances - Hermes - Un Jardin sur le Nil

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 6:22:00 PM More reviews by cat1203

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of those scents that gets me a 'what are you wearing?"

It's fresh and clean yet it has a twist to it that makes it unique. It has great lasting power. People are giving enough compliments that it must be a good one.

This is a close second to my new other fav Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Arancia di Capri. Both are super clean and fresh - great for summer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2008 1:50:00 PM More reviews by CarolStarr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This Hermes fragrance is perfect for everyday use.

Un Jardin sur le Nil is a light and clean fragrance with good staying power. A definite repurchase.

The shower gel and lotion are also great products. If you want a little luxury try something from the Hermes line, you won't be disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2008 8:18:00 PM More reviews by tinye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

peppery, citrusy, green, and strange. there's something bizarre and vegetal there as well. the peppery part is what i really enjoy about it though. and i agree with some of the reviews below that it's got a slight incensey tone. i find it lovely, and very evocative.. when you think of the nile, you think of this scent. can't explain it any better than that.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2008 7:43:00 PM More reviews by phui

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is one of my all-time favourite perfumes. Its perfect in summer, when you don't want a sweet, or heavy scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Debeh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I fell in love with Nil with the first spray, and that has only happened twice before in my life. It is just wonderful: simultaneously juicy and dry, crisp and green and truly memorable. This is also one of the few fragrances I've tried that truly conjures up the image of a specific place: it makes me see the Nile, heavy and green, snaking through the ocre desert, shaded by green mango trees and groves of papyrus.I always get compliments when wearing this, and it's also something that can be worn anytime. This converted me to a Jean-Claude Ellena worshipper, so I've purchased his other Jardin as well, which is also great. I'll be buying this as long as they make it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2008 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Dreama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This scent is amazing! In addition to the other descriptions of the fragrance, I want to add that some component of it reminds me of lime zest. I think this is a unisex scent and ideal for summer. I'm going to have my husband wear it so that I can enjoy it even more. Even the bottle makes me feel good; it's the color of beach glass.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2008 7:24:00 AM More reviews by May_Bee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this during a ridiculously hot, humid, muggy, sweltering summer, when I was craving all things cool, crisp, fresh and green. The bottle is perfectly appropriate to the scent - one of very few perfumes that distinctively look as they smell. Initially I get sharp green fruit (I wouldn't have guessed mango without reading the notes) and lots of cool citrus. After about ten minutes I get bitter herbs, celery and pepper - none of which is something I usually look for, but they work to balance out the sharp fruit notes and for me are what makes this distinctive. Much later on (as in 6 hours) I get a little bit of incense, but the middle stage has huge lasting power, creating an envelope of coolness on overcrowded trains and buses.

I have to state (reluctantly) that this one is not a crowd pleaser. It doesn't elicit compliments and when I've asked, my boyfriend, mother and friends were united in finding it uninspiring and uninteresting. But, I will be wearing it to work in hot weather again this year regardless, as it keeps me feeling energised and composed when any other scent would be sickly and excessive.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2008 9:10:00 PM More reviews by satsuma

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a revised opinion of this scent, because honestly this is one of the most idiosyncratic fragrances I've ever worn & it took me a while to come to terms with this. Interestingly it smells very different on me in the heat versus cooler weather - I tried it first during a cold spell & didn't care for it, its too dry & feels brittle during the cold; I'm glad I came back to try again when the weather got warmer because its a completely different experience then.

I don't much care for the opening of this on me - I get a very intense citrus top note (lemon/lime) that disappears quickly & dries down to an equally intense cedar that blasts out for maybe 30 mins. And then it changes completely - I get this well integrated floral/fruit/incense mix that clings to the skin with a more bitter grapefruity note eventually developing. Its quite discrete, so its works well in the office & lasts without really wavering for an incredibly long time (pretty much all day on me). I've learned to spritz in the am, get dressed (not paying attention to the strangely unfeminine heavy cedar phase) & then turn my nose back on when I leave the house which is when it smells utterly unique on me (I have this image of watery lotuses & mossy incense in Egypt which may or may not be the actual notes, but that's what it evokes for me). I went through a distinct love/hate relationship with this before I figured out how to wear it i.e. completely unscented body lotion or oil & shower gel - it clashes horribly with any other scented products I might try to wear, so they are a big no-no. That said, persistence has paid off with the couple of decants I had, I ultimately splurged on a bottle & have been wearing it this consistently this summer & ignoring a lot of other things in my fragrance wardrobe.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2008 3:15:00 PM More reviews by scentsearcher

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A few months ago I started to crave sparkling, "green" scents so I decided to try this at my local Sephora. I was getting desperate to find the right sparkling scent, but when I smelled this one, I knew I had found a really impressive "fresh" perfume.
Un Jardin starts off very citrusy-zingy and effervescent, and mellows to a softer almost fruity greenness, but it still sparkles and there are also some woody, incensy notes to mellow the dominant citrus notes.
At the end of it's scent life, it smells like warm grapefruit to me (the strangeness of trying to describe perfumes is funny at times, isn't it?). Sometimes it is so tart at first that I almost feel my mouth pucker, and it doesn't seem to last long (well, what perfumes like this ever last long?) but I have to say it is like nothing else I've ever come across and I think it's a brilliant feat of perfumery.
It's unisex, and while at first my boyfriend didn't particulary like this, I now catch him using it every once and a while. I just tell him that since he's using it too, he's going to have to buy us a new bottle soon! This is expensive, so look for it on sale on discount perfume websites.
I receive compliments and questions all the time when I wear this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2008 11:31:00 AM More reviews by mkelleher

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this -- I feel it's not quite like anything else out there. It smells to me like transparent, gauzy green rushes with a peppery quality that suprises. I was actually shocked at how long it lasts on my skin -- it actually has great staying power throughout the day (on me, anyway).