September 1, 2014 | 2020 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Anti-Shine Compact [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2004 1:26:00 AM More reviews by Tinkerk

My experience with this product has been much more positive than many of the other reviews I have read here, but that may be because I don't use a foundation. I just use a concealer under my eyes and wherever there might be a little splotch or two. I just use the anti-shine product in the "t-zone", right over my moisturizer/sun screen (after it soaks in). Although the feel and texture of this product was a surprise and a little hard to get used to (rather slippery, almost like a dry silicone), I love the look of it. My skin goes from looking oily/shiny to dewy, but not shiny, which I much prefer to most powders which look very flat/matte and can get cakey after multiple applications. It holds up very well. To touch up, I just blot with a tissue midday, but I have much less shine at that point than when I used to use powder. Also, I am prone to breakouts and I haven't had any problems with this product in that regard.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2004 10:59:00 PM More reviews by SprTwig

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

when i first received this...i thought, "oh what a cute lil compact!" which it is...and since my VERY oily skin had been testing my nerves lately, i wanted to give it a try. well...this doesnt work! im one of those girls that carries a pressed powder compact w/ me where ever i go...i thought this product would be my salvation, it really just sucked.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2004 3:53:00 AM More reviews by prettymist

Cute little compact! But useless. Expensive and ruins my make up.
    Makes it look more cakey when applied on. I don't like this. Napkin even does better than this compact anti shine thing. I don't ever use this I just bring it along for mirror use. I could of used my money on somthing else.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2004 7:26:00 PM More reviews by sunshine34

I dunno how to use this because any way I try doesn't work. I can manage to de shine the area between my brows which always gets oily first but as for any kind of expanse of skin? I don't *think* so!

When I first got it I thought 'Wow. It's so tiny.' but it doesn't matter cos you'll never finish it cos you won't use the dumb thing!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2004 4:44:00 AM More reviews by sassywriter

Honestly I don't even take a pressed powder compact anymore now that I have this. I'm MMM and this doesn't turn cakey white on me like I expected. If I put on foundation and powder in the morning, all I need is this cute little tool to touch up the oilies during the day. A product that really delivers!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2004 10:34:00 AM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

o.k. the little compact is very cute. Even tho i tend to be a dry/combo, i do need touchups by the mid-afternoon...But this white stuff is absolutely horrid! Don't know what i was thinking buying this without consulting with you guys...doesn't control shine at all and it totally ruined my makeup and had to wash everything off in a public restroom. didn't make a difference as to how i applied it...major disappointment.
    I will go back to my philosophy's on a clear day,(which is the only product from the line i love)...a little dab of that works wonders and doesn't smear up your foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2004 6:21:00 PM More reviews by alipie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree with the majority here in saying that this product isn't very effective agianst oily / shiny skin, I returned it right away. Since I am new I can't post a review for the photo matte compact from smashbox (new), I thought I'd do it here. This is truly amazing stuff, it actually has what seems to be the same ingredients as the original anti-shine in the tube. I have never seen anything work that quick to pick up shine and excess oil and look almost traceless and need little to no touching up, no need to use a lot or you could end up over doing it. The only problem is it comes in only 3 colors. But, if you can find one that matches, skip the anti-shine compact and go with the photo matte one.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2003 12:14:00 AM More reviews by sillysilly

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The Antishine a friend had worked quite well on me, so I decided to try the compact out, thinking it'd be more portable and easier to apply while on the go. Unfortunately, the ingredients are completely different! The Antishine has a magnesium compound as its mattifier, the compact just has silicone- which is the ingredient used in all the other "mattifiers" that don't work on me. It is difficult to apply with the included sponge, and once on, tends to look a little chalky. Despite the chalky effect, it does nothing to control shine or oil- I think my skin felt even slicker when I used it! (Prolly because of the silicone). Definitely would not buy again. Why couldn't they use the same formulation? At least I know magnesium works for me- but I really wish I could find a cute and convenient way to carry a little bit around with me for touch ups.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2003 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Tweetyfan

This does not hold back shine as well as other products I've tried. The texture and applicator make it difficult to apply smoothly. I would not recommend this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2003 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Calbear

My nose is super oily and this product seems to work well for just that area. I am afraid it may break me out over time but so far so good. Pricey but if no breakouts - worth it.

edited: it didn't take long but if did clog my pores and give me small bumps on my nose. oh well it was a good try.