NARS Belle De Jour

3.9

on 6/14/2008 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I was dissapointed in this, to me its a dead color and a drying lipstick. Im returning it.. Not a nice nude lipstick at all..
I even tried blending it with lipliner, doesnt do much

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My new HG lipstick!! I have been looking for the PER-fect nude lipstick that wasn't shimmery or didn't look like concealer on my lips. I am in love. In fact, I don't even really have to blot this one at all. I really like to put it over my Aveda sheer stick in Spice, and then put M.A.C. Nymphette lipglass over it. I really have been loving the whole NARS line. It's a bit pricey for me, but when I find something I love, it's worth it.

on 6/2/2008 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Let me start by saying I never thought I was a person who would look good in nude shades. I thought I was too fair and my lips too rosy and that I would end up with the dreaded concealer lips. Not the case with Belle de jour! It really does live up to the hype. Tones down my rosey lips, adds a nice nude beige peach tone to them and a little shine. NARS calls this one a sheer finish but it's really not that sheer. Just creamy and nice. I tried Honolulu Honey - that one was a little more matte ("satin" finish) but the color was just a tad more orange - didn't look right on me. I could see this one being flattering for many people.

Update: Out of all my lipsticks I have been favoring this one. Looks so chic with a smokey eye yet wearable. Looks nice with NARS Chihuahua gloss on top. Upping to 5 lippies.

This has been one of my favourite nudes for years. It's very light, slightly peachy nude. It can give "concealer-lips" to a lot of people, but it works on me. In fact, sometimes it's almost sliiiightly too dark/brownish. This can be a good YLBB for paler girls, or close to the holy grail for a nude lip that pairs with a smoky eye.

on 5/30/2008 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love Scott Barnes lipslick in suggestive, but I wanted something that would stay on longer than a gloss..After reading the reviews here I went to sephora expecting to buy honolulu honey, but I decided on this shade and love it, its a perfect nude. It is a bit drying though, and because its close to my skintone I have to layer it with jsut a smidge of gloss. but overall best nude lipstick I've found so far.

on 5/1/2008 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

LOVE this gorgeous nude. I would describe it as beige peach. It is gorgeous on and even better topped with MAC Instant gold lipgloss. It makes for a sexy, understated lip that would go with any eye or cheek look. For reference, I am a cool tones blue eyed blonde with tan (self tan) skin. I definitely can see why most makeup artist call this one of the must haves!

I love this lipstick sooooo very much, the only problem is that I can only wear it for about half the year because it matches my skin in the summer! I guess I need to find a slightly darker shade. Anyways, Belle De Jour is the perfect nude and definitely replicates that Catherine Deneuve/Brigitte Bardot/Sophia Loren look! Looks great with MAC C-thru lipglass and Spice lipliner!

on 4/9/2008 5:30:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I like Belle de Jour better than Honolulu Honey because it's more of a true nude, whereas HH has peachy tones that look a bit orange against my NC30 complexion. BdJ is a sheer lipstick so at first I had trouble getting it to show up on my pigmented lips, but a little liner fixes it. There are so many great combos with this lipstick: For creamy pink lips, try BdJ + Chihuahua l/g; for glossy pink lips, try BdJ + Revlon SL l/g in Cherries in the Glow; for peach lips try BdJ + MAC Love Nectar l/g or Becca Bellini l/g on top.

on 3/15/2008 9:25:00 PM

Like pretty much every woman who buys Belle De Jour, you're probably looking for a nude l/s. I was no exception when I purchased Belle De Jour for the first time. I wanted a basic nude. Three tubes later, I must say this l/s still impresses me. It's a true neutral, nude, cashmere shade. To me Belle De Jour is a great basic, I will always own a tube. I love NARS l/s because they are pigmented and long lasting. My only complaint is it is a bit drying (that's why it's only 4 lippies). I wear a clear gloss over this. A good testimony to how good this is, is when I let my friend try it on and the very next day she bought a tube for herself!

on 3/1/2008 9:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I guess I was expecting something different in color than the Velvet Matte Lip Pencil version of Belle De Jour. It is a bit better in color b/c it isn't pale and concealer like but it's still sort of a dead color. Yes, it's nude but it's what I would consider skin toned instead of nude. On me (I'm an NC 30) it just plain mutes out my lips and I naturally have very pigmented lips. It sort of washes me out and w/my complexion I can use many colors and have them flatter me but not too much w/this one. Since I do like the sheerness of it and how light the l/s itself is I'll keep it but I do agree that it is slippery almost gloss like in texture. I've tried lining w/MAC's Stripdown, Chanel's Cognac, and my all time fav. Kevyn Aucoin Flesh Tone l/l and although they each add their own quality to the BDJ I end up w/the same result deadness. I've been layering Nars Greek Holiday (new l/g) on top and it does look better it sort of brings it to life. I say don't buy it w/out testing it out this color can and most probably will be a miss for many reviewers.

Popular Lipsticks