September 19, 2014 | 1588 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Burt's Bees - Shea Butter Hand Repair Creme [DISCONTINUED]

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2008 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Anastasia_Beaverhausen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Extraordinary. People are not giving this the chance it deserves. It is my holy grail hand cream and Iím sooo glad I DIDNíT read these reviews before buying because I may not have tried it! Phooey on the bad reviews, trust me. . .buy this and if you hate it you can send me a MUA mail telling me I was wrong and then you can return it to the store. TRUST ME.

Itís pure moisture, there are no phony silicones in this stuff so it doesnít just make your hands feel soft. . .it actually MAKES them soft. It doesnít just coat them with dimethicone, the oils and shea butter sink in and repair the skin. ***Because of this, it does take a good 5 minutes for it to sink in and the scent is herbal at first. The scent is fine and disappears after a minute or so, so please do not let that prevent you from trying this stuff. I hate herbal smells and this one fades so quickly I donít care. It smells clean. Once you apply it, youíll think itís too oily. . but wait 5-10 minutes and you will be in love. Real oils like this take awhile to sink in. If you want something that sinks in instantly then buy some cheap, fake lotion filled with dangerous parabens and drying silicones. Yes, silicones protect a little from water. . but so do oils and oils ALSO moisturize. The packaging is so great looking and they suck all the air out of it so you get your moneyís worth. . no wasted space. I apply this in the am at work and can wash my hands throughout the day and not have to reapply. My hands look and feel absolutely amazing! I would pay $20 for this so $12 is a great value imo. It will last a long time because there is no air in the tube, a little goes a long way because it is so dense and you donít have to reapply throughout the day. Plus, the ingredients are amazing, no crap, no chemicals, all moisturizing oils, butter and vitamins.

Please please please try it. Trust me.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2008 5:28:00 PM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to agree with the others...the smell is revolting! There are plenty of similar hand creams that work as well without that hideous scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2008 11:59:00 PM More reviews by berned_you

Great moisturizer, doesn't leave hands sticky. Artificial fragrance free which I love and require but has the most awful scent!! I can't get over it. It's medicinal meets old lady perfume. Hard to describe but it totally ruins the product for me. My favorite hand lotions are CO Bigelow Lemon ones.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2008 12:28:00 AM More reviews by DLux

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has become a hand creme that I use regularly and will repurchase. I first used this at a friend's house, and didn't like the strong, unusual scent. However, after a few uses, I came to crave the scent as it relaxes me--perhaps it's the lavender or other herbs. The creme itself is very rich, and a little goes a long way. It is a bit greasy at first, but quickly soaks into my extremely dry winter hands. I especially like it as a night creme for bedtime. After a few days of use, I find that it heals my cracked and chaffed hands and keeps them soft so that I can use my other favorite, Gardener's Hand Repair by Earth Therapeutics, during the daytime (that one soaks in more quickly, so is more practical for daytime use). I also appreciate that it doesn't contain parabens. I consider this a great find, as so many "natural" hand cremes don't do much for my dry hands.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2007 1:10:00 PM More reviews by kmacjp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMG, RIght? It smells exactly like a band-aid. It is sooooo groooooosssss. I only used it once.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2007 12:39:00 AM More reviews by armywife03

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

ok seriously what is that smell!!!!!!!! i was able to try this only at night time afraid people were gonna smell that cent from far away how emberacing right! but even that i had to stop now i dont even know if its a good one or not the smell was just bad even my 3 year old daughter would tell me mommy was that smell? not kidding you

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2007 11:09:00 AM More reviews by OHNOSOPHiE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this was a spur of the moment purchase. i usually do my research on MUA before buying anything. well this product SMELLS TERRIBLE. it's strong and overpowering. it smells like something my grandmother would use. my boyfriend complained about the smell as well. so i used it for the first time last night before going to bed and woke up with a horrible after smell on my hands as well. it's pricey. the consistency of this cream is super thick and greasy. i can't type on my keyboard after using it because it leaves oil marks. i definitely would NOT repurchase this item. EVER.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2007 2:37:00 AM More reviews by LiL_KaY

This is my first hand creme purchased from Burts Bees so I cant compare it to any of the other hand cremes. Although, before I decided to buy the Shea butter hand creme I tested it along with the grape seed oil hand creme one on my hands. Both seemed to work okay but the shea butter creme felt a lot more thicker which seemed to be a better choice for the cold. To tell you the truth, I liked the scent of the grape seed oil better than the shea butter one which has a strong herbal lavender scent. It isn't unpleasant to me per se but it is a bit stronger than the other. I have been using this lotion for the past three days and the smell does not bother me at all. I feel that it is the strongest during application but the scent does fade. The quality IMO is superb especially for the price! My hands have never felt better. It absorbs well and does NOT leave a greasy film. Last winter I used hemp lotion from the body shop which worked okay until I found out that it contained paraben. Paraben is a preservative found in many shampoos and lotions but have been linked to cancer. I don't know how true that is but I would rather not take the chance. Lately I have been careful to buy chemical free and paraben free products. Burts Bees is a great place to start because it does not contain paraben.I will definately repurchase. I may even pick up the grape seed oil one as well!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2007 7:25:00 PM More reviews by tygress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First of all, lemme say that the smell is strange--it kinda reminds me of baby diaper rash ointment. Because of the strong smell I use it at night on my hands, right before I get into bed, especially in the fall and winter. I must say that repeated use of it does make my hands more softer and keeps my cuticles more moisturized. For that reason alone I can tolerate the smell. Not an HG, but good nonetheless.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2007 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Glitzee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

In the fall and winter my hands get extremely dry and I frequently get red, cracked areas on my knuckles . Ouch! That and a small patch of eczema on my finger prompted me to look for a richer cream than I had been using (Gardener's Hand Repair, which stings the sore spots). I love the light herbal smell-- not perfumey at all-- and it really sinks into my dry patches. Not too oily but you can feel it working. My skin is definitely improving, even after a couple of days.

Note: a little goes a long way! Also, as you see from reviews here, not everyone is fond of the scent-- it's very lavender to me but I love herbal scents.