August 1, 2014 | 1798 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Blot Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2013 7:53:00 AM More reviews by abigail123xx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a pretty good powder if you're looking for something that's quite natural, that still gives a good coverage with pretty good staying power.
It's not my dream product by any stretch of the imagination, I feel that to get the level of coverage I'm happy with I need to layer it so that it becomes a bit chalky and it detracts from the dewiness (which is the look I'm desperately trying to achieve!!) but, compared to other powders, and other mac powders in particular, this is definitely the best.

The medium colour is good, especially considering I'm naturally quite pale and its definitely good value for money.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by flameangel

I have the oilest face ever. By the time I finish doing my eye make-up, my nose will have a little shine. This product is the answer to my oily face. Instead of having to blot every 1-2 hours, I can last up to 4-5 hours now. My foundation stays a lot longer too. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by louiseannette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Very effective for oil control, however it can build up very easily and end up looking cakey. Overall, I love it. Just be careful of it building up!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 12:24:00 PM More reviews by nattiekins05

Macs Blot Powder is a face powder designed to absorb excess oils without adding colour or cakey-ness. It's ingenious really. You can apply it at the beginning of the day as a preventative measure or apply it onto oily areas (eg. the T-zone: forehead, nose, chin) to get rid of the shine. MAC only had the loose powder version for a while, and I'm thrilled that they now have it in fuss-free pressed powder form. It comes with a mirror and a flat powder puff, which are handy for on-the-go.

I still remember that on the day I brought MAC blot powder, my intention was not that. I had gone to get the Transparent finishing powder that I can use to set my foundation. While having the conversation with the MUA, he told me how it might not look so great in photos and that it may lead to a whitish cast. So that is where the plans changed. I came home with the Blot powder.

Now, except during extreme summers when my skin tends to be slightly shiny in the forehead , I usually donít have extreme oiliness. The main intention of the blot powder was to set the foundation a keep the shine at bay. I found that the blot powder kept the face shine free for nearly 4 hours after which touch ups were needed. If I use the blot powder all over the face, I have noticed that it leads to a stretchy feel which is not very comfortable. But my sister who uses the same has never had any such issues. Please note that her skin type is oily and she loves it to bits. According to her it is the only powder that has managed to keep oiliness at bay this efficiently though she agrees on the touch up part.

Now my least favorite part... Even though the blot powder looks very natural in daylight, I find that it is not the case with Flash photographs. In flash photographs blot powder has a tendency to leave a whitish cast which isnít very flattering.

The packaging is a round black compact with a mirror that does work well for touch ups . A ribbed sponge is included which again does a good job. Overall it is sturdy and travel friendly. Even though it comes with the puff, I have never used it before as it feels a bit unhygienic and it absorbs too much powder. I've been using a large duo fiber stippling brush like the MAC 187 brush instead!

Overall, MAC Blot Powder is an excellent compact for those looking at shine control. It fares well even in extreme hot and humid climates (I have tested this while on a vacation in Mexico). If touchups are not a problem you need not think further, and pick this up right away!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by hannahlane19

I really love this powder, I suffer from quite an oily t-zone and this manages to keep me oil free for around 3 hours (which is a lot for me). What I particularly love about this powder is it doesn't change the finish of your foundation or give you that over powdered look which some blotting powders can do. It's about average price to a high end powder so won't break the bank and depending how sparingly you use it lasts around 3 months on average.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2013 11:24:00 AM More reviews by JaydenReece

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely LOVE this product!! THIS IS HG FOR ME!! - just a little background on my skin - I have the oiliest skin type there is! I use this throughout the day over my Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation, and these to products together create perfection! After about 2-3hours i start getting shiny and all i do is pat some of this on my nose and face with the puff it comes with and im left with completely matt, soft focused airbrushed looking skin! I have tried so hard and gone through so many products to control my oil throughout the day and my search is over! THANKYOU MAC!! If like me you have very oily skin this will be Perfect for you!! Go out and buy it!! NOW!! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2013 6:05:00 AM More reviews by joanne150406

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this! I keep this on my desk at work for touch ups in the afternoon when I start to get oily. I love MAC and the packaging so its great for my handbag too. I am NC25 and I think I have the medium which works perfectly for me.

EDIT July 2014: I've swapped this because I prefer more coverage for my touchup powders. Its a great product if you aren't looking for any coverage. However I found that Rimmel's stay matte pressed powder MUCH cheaper and works just as effectively as a great dupe for this (even more so in my opinion), although the packaging of the MAC blot powder is much more impressive. I can't really justify the price of the MAC blot powder even though I love MAC products.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Nemezienna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Looooove this product! A few dabs goes a long way with my very oily skin. For reference, I'm an NC50 and deep dark works perfectly for me. I had dark before and it made me look ashy and broke apart really easily. Don't know where I'd be without my blot powder and it lasts a LONG time too. Only reason it gets 4 lippies is because the applicator sponge that it comes with is awful. Other than that, yay MAC!

*edit: 8/29/13*
Tossed this sucker out because I started to hate it and broke apart way too easily, creating created the biggest mess ever. I think i'll just stay away from MAC's blot powder. Right now I'm testing out MUFE's transluscent powder so *hopefully* that works for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by humc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am SO happy I bought this product! My skin is extremely oily and it is the most embarrassing thing ever! My skin is also acne-prone and I have uneven/reddness. Sounds great doesn't it?

When doing my makeup, I apply a primer, my foundation, and then a setting powder. Right before I go out the door, I apply this MAC powder (mine is in Light- which is very light! but seems almost translucent, so it is perfect for me!) with an Eco-Tools big fluffy powder brush.

The look from this powder is a perfect matte finish without looking cakey or too powdery (I use a pretty good amount and it still won't look powdery). You can also touch-up with this product and not worry about it caking on and looking over done. This powder has also NOT made me breakout- yay!

Lasting power: Far superior than all other mattifying powders I have tried. Because my skin is so oily, this powder DOES NOT keep me matte all day. However, like I stated, it does a much better job than other powders. I only have to touch up after about four hours, and even then I am not a greasy mess, but have just a little bit of shine on my T-zone (which is awesome for me). I do however, need to be careful applying this to my dry areas (corners of mouth and nose & chin crease thing below my bottom lip) because it can cause that annoying dry feeling.

A dupe for this, because this is expensive for just a pressed powder (and I went through it a little over a month-I use it every day, 2-3 times) is the Maybelline Dream Matte pressed powder. For me, the MAC lasts longer and looks more natural than the Maybelline. The Maybelline is quite easy to look powdery and noticeable, especially after touch ups!

Overall, I WILL continue to buy this product because I think the price it worth it for the lasting power, natural look, and ability to reapply without looking cakey. If you are willing to spend more, buy this! If not, I suggest the Maybelline Dream Matte pressed powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by perfectionist_virgo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best blot powder hands down. I use this in deep dark and my face doesn't looked polished without it. My skin is extremely oily so I will say this doesn't keep the shine away all day as it possibly could for someone with a less oily complexion. What this product does for me is take away the sheen and soften the look of my imperfections/pores. No other blot powder has done that for me without looking slightly ashy or settling into the dry spots awkwardly. Keep in mind I wear no other foundation on a daily basis. I don't mind reapplying a few times to get the overall affect of making my skin pretty.