September 20, 2014 | 1711 users online

Crème - Cle de Peau - Cream Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2004 11:37:00 PM More reviews by Marianne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

$100. I am so glad I didn't purchase this... I received a really large deluxe sample from a sweet friend overseas in Asia. Now, Stephane Marais is the mind behind Cle de Peau, and I can see how his new line has some correlations with CdP. Like the Marais cream foundation, this is very highly pigmented, and a little goes a very long way. I read in a Japanese beauty magazine (translated for me) that it's best to place small dots of foundation in each "quadrant" of the face, and blend from there. Well... that's the problem! On my sensitive-dry skin, this just won't spread! Even with good moisturization, and the CdP primer underneath, it won't spread. I end up with five smudges of foundation on my face. Lovely. I was determined to make this work though. It's CLE DE PEAU, I kept telling myself. So I mixed a bit of moisturizer with the cream foundation, and that helped quite a bit. The finish was quite light and matte, and felt rather weightless. I was feeling pretty impressed! But then... as the day progressed, I felt like I had a clay mask on... my skin felt tight and uncomfortable. And the color seemed to be oxidizing, the already quite yellow-toned foundation was giving me a bit of a look of jaundice. Maybe I just needed a new color? I have a lot of pink in my skin. Anyhow, jaundice?? Not pretty! And it started to sink into my smile lines. Eeew!
    I tried for two weeks to make this work. Admirably, the sample is still filled to the brim, it looks absolutely untouched, that's how little product I used! But... it just won't work on me. Since I moisturized and used the brand's own primer, and all the other primers I have and that didn't work... I gave up. Just not good for me. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2004 9:16:00 AM More reviews by sofysophia

i used to love this foundation but since i moved to sydney four years ago i had adopted a much simpler makeup routine which involved skipping liquid/cream foundation, simply because of the weather here. but lately i had a acne flare-up and it left all these nasty scars on my face. not a pretty sight. thats when i decided to go back to this foundation. as other MUAers said, it 'melts' into your skin while giving excellent coverage. and it also helps me apply concealer with much lesser effort later on. but hey, remember, same with all makeups, you NEED to have good skin to begin with. no amount of makeup in the world could cover up the sleep-lacking, partying-hard and dehydrated skin. and yea, its one of the 'little goes a long way' products so make sure you use it with a light hand. this little pot of foundation is gonna last me years and years... hope it wont go off though!!! ;P

EDIT AFTER 4 YEARS: turns out it's too heavy and it can get kinda cakey. and it may be responsible for my longstanding acne problems in the past. this foundation costs like a fortune but just doesnt deliver. major rip off. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2004 4:02:00 AM More reviews by diachu21

WOW! Stumbled upon this by accident as I cruised through Holt's after the show. This is so far the BEST foundation I have used yet, WITHOUT piling layers on thy face. YEAH!

PROS: Very pigmented, and FLAWLESS even before powder(there is this luminous matte glow, if this makes sense at all). After 4+ hours,this controled my oilies and exposed my wee little flakes, other than that! There isn't much to complain about.

CONS: Cost and packaging. Why plastic? Looks so dinky and cheap for a $100+ foundation.

HMM... would I repurchase?

Yes! If Kanebo nd Stephane marais foundation is not good. (Just placed my orders. I'll try to keep posted)

NO! This is just plain expensive.

So far this has been the best foundation I have used. Iam an I10.

Question to who have tried this." Is it me or does the color seem slightly ashy?"

EDIT: Found a better foundation, La Prairie cellular powdery foundation in cameo and beige doire

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2004 3:21:00 PM More reviews by arlener

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It is the best hands down. Great coverage, makes your skin look flawless.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2004 1:47:00 PM More reviews by martini2000

I know why celebs love that one so much. After trying first LaPrairie foundation powder, which caked like nothing else, I've also tried the La Prairie skin caviar foundation. the finish is great, very luminous, but all the colors were so wrong for me. So I finally tried the Cle de Peau creme foundation that all the celebs featured in the breakdown section seem to love so much lately. It goes on like a dream and dries to a velvety finish. And I found a perfect color match. It's a warm but very, very fair tone (I10), just like my own skin, which is usually so hard to match. UPDATE:still a great find, but unfortunately much to dry for me. After 2 days of bliss, I couldn't even apply it. It turned myskin into a desert.It just would stuck at the part of my face, where I placed the dot. No chance of distributing it...

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2004 2:04:00 PM More reviews by CLDTRO

Got this as a sample at the Cle de peau counter (Shade 020) It was perfect match for me and it gave me great coverage! But, I did not like the smell at all! Chantecaille Future Skin is just as good and half the price!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2004 4:06:00 AM More reviews by msjene

I bought O30 (when I was a bit more tan...it's a med-dark yellow based beige) used it for a little while (with the concealer in Ochre). Didn't like it, went on Ebay. Tried O20 (med yellow based beige). Didn't like it, went on Ebay. Looked to mask like and dry. Obtained several samples of O10 (light yellow beige) and 020. Still didn't like it. All of it went on Ebay except for one of each color. In my drawer it sat. Then one day I used it like a concealer to cover my sun spots and acne scars on my chin. OMG! This is the best concealer to use on areas with an odd texture....like sun/age spots or scars. It blends perfectly into skin, looks more natural than a heavy concealer and adheres very well to the skin. I hated it as a foundation (on me...on my friend it looks totally natural and beautiful...which is why I kept buying it. BTW, I get a discount, so I'm not that crazy to drop $100 that many times). but as a concealer...it's not my HG. By far.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2004 7:57:00 PM More reviews by margeaux

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is absolutely, hands-down, the best foundation in the world. My husband knows immediately when I am wearing. He says "You must be wearing the expensive stuff". I have lots of very good foundations but he can always tell this stuff. And, even though he loves to save a dollar, he told me I should throw out the other stuff and only buy this. Can't think of a better recommendation than that!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2004 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Sherr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I consider myself to be on a quest for the perfect foundation and I have tried just about all that are out there. I finally obtained a sample of the CdP cream foundation. O20 was a PERFECT match for me. When I first applied it I thought I had died and gone to heaven but as the day wore on I'm not so sure that this foundation wears well. A little goes A LONG WAY. Shiesedo Cream Foundation really is just as good and in my opinion wears better. I was the same color too..O20. I can't say I would never buy this because the color was so great for me but it's definately not worth the hefty price tag. Try a sample first.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2004 5:42:00 AM More reviews by shaki

i really love this foundation! it s creamy, soft,matches my skin tone perfectly and it covers any single flawn...the only problem? it s damn expensive! apart from this little aspect. this foundation is great!