August 31, 2014 | 979 users online

Treatments - Nail Magic

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2010 10:23:00 PM More reviews by amyhuskiewicz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

***this is not actually a review**** This is in response to the comment about formaldehyde being in bee stings - I believe that it is formic acid, not formaldehyde that is in bee venom. Nonetheless, formaldehyde is still not very good for you - but hey, your nails, your choice!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2010 8:48:00 PM More reviews by balthier

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an amazing product which transformed my weak thin peeling nails into the strong long ones I have today.

Something to note: it contains formaldehyde which has been classed as a dangerous chemical and is actually found in bee stings! So if you're allergic to bee stings, this product will probably feel pretty bad if you get it on your skin. I never had this problem but then I'm probably not allergic to bee stings!

It also dries up my cuticles something fierce because of the formaldehyde.

I also noticed after using two thirds of it that it started to peel off, and the product looked a different colour like it was separating. If I used it under polish and took a bath/shower the whole polish would just peel off the finger nail. I never had this problem with my toes being painted as I don't use Nail Magic on them so it must be this and not the nail polish.

I'm going to try using Nail Envy next which is cheaper and doesn't have formaldehyde in it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2010 3:05:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow. This blew me away since I already have a lot of nail strengtheners and hardners and this tops all of them. Even after showering, my nails became very soft and would sometimes break. I was finally able to take a shower and not worry so much. My nails felt stronger. This gives a good gloss too and my nails looked healthy. Just keep away from your cuticles as this stuff can irritate them. I found this at Sally's and it was highly recommended by the staff there.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by GeminisMommy

Only. Product. Ever. To. Grow. My. Nails. Seriously.
I have battled genetically thin nails my entire life. Coupled with my career as a nurse (constantly washing hands and using drying alchohol hand sanitizers), my nails were hideous. Even with a rigorous routine of several daily vitamins, multiple daily applications of hand creme, nightly pure lanolin, proper filing techniques, religious use of every basecoat known to man, yadda yadda yadda, my nails would not grow. They split, chip, peeled, you name it. Enter "Magic Nails". As promised, the nails continued to behave as usual for the first few weeks, then finally VOILA - for the first time ever in my entire 36 years, my nails grew, and grew strong. For the first time ever, I had whites extending past the tips on all ten of my fingers. I've never gone through so many nail files before in my life. My rock hard nails chewed right through them! I had to actually CLIP my nails down, they had gotten so long. AND so strong, they actually broke a pair of Dollar Store clippers. Unheard of for my genetically puny nails. I will NEVER be without my Nail Magic and intend on passing the gospel on to anyone who will listen.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2010 7:39:00 AM More reviews by famoushair

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first purchased and used Nail Magic, I was pleased. It comes in a cute package and goes on thickly but evenly, with a pink appearance in the bottle but a clear appearance on the nail. I thought this would serve as a nice basecoat and hardener for my relatively wimpy nails.

I'm a couple of months into using it and my nails are worse than when I started using the product. After a bit of online research on the product, I realize this stuff is largely formaldehyde and therefore can be drying. I live in a very dry climate, and it's been pretty cold here. The end result: short, chippy nails, made worse by my attempts at filing them into shape, thus causing them to be painfully thin. Application of Nail Magic the last few times caused my nail beds to burn/sting with a fierceness I have no words to describe. My nail beds are way too soft and they ache.

Now I'm going to let my nails go "naked," and give them lots of moisture in the hopes that they can recover some of what was lost over the past couple months.

So despite all the successes listed here, Nail Magic was way less than magical for me. I'd rather have the wimpy (but relatively healthy) nails I started out with!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 7:50:00 PM More reviews by erin09

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff WORKS. I am six months/halfway through my first bottle and my nails are the longest they've ever been. During the first couple months, my nails were stronger, but the tips did tend to break off (as oppose to peel off, which is what they usually did). Now I have no peeling or breaking.
The box says to use one coat under nail polish or two coats by itself, and to use the product twice per week. This is what I have been doing, but I'm going to change it to 3 times per week, because the sides of my tips seem to wear off every couple of days and get weak.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 3:40:00 PM More reviews by gypcc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay.... I'm 2 weeks in. Using this product as recommended, two coats on bare nails (if not using a color nail enamel then they recommend one coat).... and I can't believe it. But it works. My nails have most definitely grown... I can see whites at the tips which is a really big deal... HUGE... my nails are prone to peeling & are ridiculously weak. Two of my nails have pronounced ridges where the peeling inevitably occurs. TWO weeks in... three applications. I find it better for me to remove and reapply every 3 days. My nails have never really been so strong in quite awhile... okay my thumb nails are still being temperamental... but we'll see.
YES it smells horrible, but dissipates quickly. Yes it's probably not the best thing in the world for me... but i gotta admit... if this makes my nails look good, grows them long and strong.... I'm not gonna get up on my natural organic soap box... no I'm not gonna paint my babies nails w/it anytime soon, but I'll keep hoping it really helps & works on my own. At $7 - it's not a bad deal. Especially since it's working.
UPDATE: i had to CUT & FILE my nails because they got too long. This is my HG nail stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2010 3:42:00 AM More reviews by icecreamtruckk

this is an AMAZING product. i have been using it for about a month or so and my nails are at the point where they usually chip, break or start peeling.

i found that as long as i dont work with my hands/fingers in hot water for a long time, the polish works at its best to make my finger nails hard. it would be awesome if the polish were a bit more strong so it wouldnt peel off in hot water, but it already IS super strong. the smell is horrible, worse than regular nail polish, but i learned to deal with it to get hard nails. ): on several occasions, it made my eyes burn and water up when working with the polish. i'm not dumb, i didnt get it on my fingers and rub my eye or put it in my eye accidentally-- none of that. my face wasnt even super close to the bottle. :/

at first, when you put it on your nails you feel a bit of aching in your nails after they dry. i dont know why but it stopped happening after the first 3 or 4 times i've used it.

on a good note, it dries SUPER. FAST. im not even exaggerating. after about 10 - 30 seconds it's dry (as long as you apply thin, even polish). i apply 2-3 coats, but i found that if i apply 2 coats, it wears off easier, so i put on 3 coats usually.

overall, with some adapting to this product, it is awesome. :D

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2010 3:32:00 AM More reviews by mibrola

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

What is in this stuff?! It works. I can put it on twice a day with no burning or irritation and it works!! I usually use it as a base coat, then ridge filler, 2 coats color and this again to seal it all together as a top coat. It smells pretty chemical gross but who cares? Totally worth it! Goes for about $6 at Sally's Beauty Supply. If you have flaking, peeling or just short nails and you want results fast give this a week of applying at least once day - beautiful. A nice back up to Nailtiques formula 2, and MUCH cheaper!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2010 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Marj53

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is indeed magic. I have had no pain or burning from Nail Magic and neither have my friends. My nails were such a mess for so long. They were peeling so bad that every week I had to file them all the way down. I work in an environment where I have to wash my hands a lot and have them in water a lot too. I hit week #3 and the tips broke off..... broke, I tell you, not peeled! The instr. say this might happen because those are the old tips and are weak. OK....week 5 out of the 6 week plan, my nails aren't long yet but they are so nice and smooth, no peeling at all! This way outdoes Nail Envy(lots cheaper too) and anything else I have ever tried. I am looking forward to doing my french manicures again after week #6. I love it that I can polish my nails again without having to use ridge filler to hide the peelies! BTW, Nail Magic is on sale at Sally's this month for $6.99.
This is week 7 and I am very pleased to have such nice looking nails again. And they are so very strong. I bought another bottle while it is on sale because I will be using this for a long time. I like to use China Glaze polish over it due to the hardeners in the polish. I posted a pic in my profile pics of my new nails. Not a great pic cause I scanned it. LOL