Laura Geller Balance-n-Brighten Baked Color Correcting Foundation (All Shades)

3.8

Mica, Talc, Dimethicone, Isopropyl Palmitate, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (Jojoba), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E) (Vitamin E), Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), BHT, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Extract, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Oxide Green (CI 77288), Manganese Violet (CI 77742)

on 3/23/2012 3:39:00 PM

I use the Balance n Brighten foundation in medium (or regular). I like the coverage and the flattering shade and find it comparable to the original Bare Minerals line by another maker. I was brushing B n B on over the Laura Geller Spackle and her Real Deal concealer which looked nice the first hour but later looked caked once the dust settled so to speak. (I use a magnifying mirror to see up close!) So I have recently begun to not use actual rubbing brush strokes to apply it. Instead, I pounce the loaded brush all over my face to distribute the foundation. I think that by doing it this way, the somewhat moist Spackle and Real Deal concealer layer is less disturbed and less likely to cake.

on 3/12/2012 11:42:00 AM

I bought Laura Geller's Balance & Brighten based on Emilynoel83's youtube review. I absolutely LOVE this product. It resembles a lot of mineral powders (think MAC's mineralized skinfinishes, except not like a giant glitter bomb). I swirl my MAC 129 brush in the powder and dust it on my face, focusing on the redness around my nose and cheeks. OK, a little backstory: I first tried out this product in Ulta a few months ago when I'd originally heard about the powder. The shade "Fair" was a perfect match and concealed all of my redness and imperfections, giving me a bright, airbrushed glow on my face. However, I didn't have the money to purchase, so I went on my merry way. When I went back to the store, tax return money in hand, the only shade they had left was "Medium". I tried a little on in the store and it seemed fine (damn that flattering lighting!), but when I got home and tried the product again it seemed too tan for my skin. Also, it doesn't seem to have the same effect on my skin. Hmm. So, to make a long story short, Medium really is a lot darker than you might think. I think I need to exchange. However, if you get the right shade for your skintone, you will be very pleased with this product. Fair is definitely a winner in my book :)

on 3/3/2012 8:40:00 PM

I have recently returned to this after using cream foundation for awhile and becoming unhappy with how it clogs around my crinkly eye area, and settles in my wrinkles. My skin is pretty good for my age but I forgot how good this product is, and the biggest plus is so much quicker, am looking younger since have gone back to it and no accentuating my crinkly eyes !!! Love it, no its not cheap unless you get lucky on ebay but it last ages cant recommend it enough my teenage daughter uses it too and her skin has improved no end since she began. Love it.

on 2/22/2012 2:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I ran across this powder when raiding my sister's makeup stash, and immediately went to Ulta to purchase my own. I'm NC25, and I chose the Fair shade, which matches nicely. I have used this both as a finishing powder and on its own as a foundation, the latter of which I prefer because I find it looks more natural--not to mention quicker. Using a primer underneath is essential, and Laura's Spackle works best with this foundation. I don't use her brush to apply--use a Real Techniques stippling brush--, but I find it lasts all day and doesn't feel like foundation (as all liquids do) or end up all over my vanity like BM. I put a little on a retractable blush brush to take with me for touch ups, but find I rarely need it. Even covers up the redness on my nose and doesn't settle into fine lines around my eyes.

on 2/21/2012 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

My hope was this would be like Smashbox Halo in pressed form, or perhaps similar to MAC MSFN without the Bismuth I'm allergic to. I have normal to dry skin and wanted something in that genre, an "illumnating or brightening" powder of sorts in a compact for touchups when I can't haul around that ginormus Halo compact.

I have this in Fair (@NC20) and it matches perfectly but needs to be applied with a light hand if you have dry skin like I do or it can run to the chalky side. EDIT: make that the 'extremely chalky side' to the point of making me look 10yrs older and settling into every fine line I have, which isn't even that many. Not pretty Laura, sorry my friend but this simply will not cut it and I am sad. I tried to use a brush to apply instead of a puff or sponge to alleviate this problem; nope. Looks the same, just a lighter coating of chalk :( It can also illuminate any dry spots you've got if you haven't exfoliated well first AND you don't blend this well when applying. Also, I think it oxidizes orange on me after a couple hours which also is not attractive. However, it gets one point because I used under my eyes without concealer, over a primer (the new Revlon Photoready Perfecting) and was amazed at how well it covered the bit of darkness I had there without caking which allowed me to skip concealer. As for the rest, it just doesn't look good on me no matter what I do, primer, no primer, brush or no brush. I'm just too dry I guess, bummer. I saw no brightening effect, but no breakouts or allergic reactions either at least. I now know it will not replace my beloved Halo as a setting powder nor is it the powder foundation I wish it was so I'm taking it back to Ulta and going back to my Mark Powder Buff which somehow, looks really good on my skin where others don't regardless of how much they cost. Go figure.

on 2/16/2012 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had extremely high hopes for this product, but I don't believe it works for my skin type. First, the color regular (which I bought) is a bit too dark for me, but the color fair is WAY too light. When I use this alone as a foundation it doesn't do much of anything for my skin. So I wear it after I apply my liquid foundation and concealer, and use it as a setting powder. To me it seems to do the exact same thing my cheap setting powder did. It doesn't brighten, or color correct my skin in any way. I certainly won't be repurchasing this product and only recommend this to those who don't need much coverage and have combination/oily skin, since it is very powdery, and I can imagine would accentuate any dry patches.

on 2/12/2012 11:37:00 PM

I love baked swirly things (I'm an absolute sucker for MAC Mineralized Skinfinishes) so I was pretty excited to try this out. I'm perhaps a tad lighter than a MAC NC/NW20 and I bought this in Fair.

The coverage is great - never looks cakey or unnatural but covers up unevenness and if you stipple it over blemishes it pretty much hides them so when I use this I don't need a separate concealer. Depending on how much you apply, it can give a low to medium coverage. It does look "glowy", but in a nice, subtle way and not a "shiny disco ball" way.

In terms of staying power, it's pretty good. My face eats up makeup during the day and usually gets reasonably oily on the T-zone by lunch time. When I removed this with a makeup wipe at night, a lot of it showed up on the wipe. My T-zone still gets a tiny bit oily with this on but a quick blot at lunch time with oil blotting paper does the trick.

The only complaint I have is that the colour is slightly too dark and ever so slightly too yellow for my skin (which has neutral undertones). Porcelain (the lightest colour in the range) looks almost white so I think it will be too light for me. I've been trying to remedy this by sweeping my Laneige pressed powder on top which seems to adjust the colour just enough for it not to look noticeable.

on 2/12/2012 7:42:00 PM

I've never really had the urge to write a review... until now. Wow! Do I love this foundation! I'm 41 years of age, with combination/acne-prone skin, STILL! At 41, needless to say my 'glow' is not what it used to be. But with this foundation powder, it's back!!! And without looking oily! It's the next step following my sunscreen. And following a day of wear, I still look great!, if I do say so myself! ;) I'm encouraged to try more of her 'baked goodies!' :) Drats, that HSN!!! Hope it works for you, too!!! :)

on 1/23/2012 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The color of this foundation was just off for me (I'm NC30 and I used the regular balance-n-brighten). I have fairly oily skin that tends to get shiny in the middle of the day and I could see the foundation deteriorating as the day progressed. It looked better after a layer of Mally's face defender but for $30+ I expect a foundation that will perform better. This product went back.

on 1/18/2012 4:34:00 PM

I use this peoduct every day. I have pretty fair skin and don't need a lot of coverage. I take a wide powder brush and swirl it all around face. Its is enough coverage to make me look awake and brigthen my skin tone. This is a great product.