Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

on 1/29/2009 9:00:00 PM

I absolutely love this. I personally don't think it provides enough coverage to be a stand alone foundation but I think it works fabulous as a face powder. I use 75 watt over top of my 70 watt illuminating foundation and it's absolutely wonderful. Beautiful, flawless skin. Best my face and skin have ever looked when I wear this. I have one in my purse and one in my makeup kit at home. I put it on after my morning makeup and use the one in my purse for touch ups throughout the day because the foundation has a tendency to make me a little oily. I bought the foundation refill and the compact both for 10.00, which was a totally awesome deal! So, for that price, you can't go wrong!

on 1/28/2009 2:42:00 PM

i really don't know why they call it a "foundation" because you never see the coverage!!! it could also be called "sheer pressed powder"!!!! i have it in 50 watts and only use it as a contouring-bronzer and though i have fair skin i really have to pack it on to see the colour!!!! i also don't get why they call it "illuminating" since it is matter than matt!!!! other than that i really like that it's finely milled but i think for a foundation at that price it doesn't worth it!

on 1/18/2009 10:34:00 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! with acne prone, sensitive skin this works wonders for me. i usually wear stila tinted moisturizer and use a kabuki brush to apply the powder and wow....couldnt be any happier! it's my HG for sure!

on 1/16/2009 10:25:00 PM

I bought this stuff discounted, and unfortunately I don't thinnk I would buy it full price (even though i LOVE it). I just go through it too fast. I use this without the compact, just in the plastic case as I never travel with it and it doesn't really bother me. I use this in shade 20 and shade 75 as a bronzer. I don't use this as my only foundation. I usually use a mineral foundation and then dust shade 20 over, kind of as a finishing powder. I like more coverage from a foundation.
Shade 75 is AMAZING as a bronzer for me. I am super pale and it looks SO natural. Something about it looks glowy but there is no detectable shimmer/glitter which is perfect for natural sunlight! This powder is one of the first things I have found that actually looks good in sunlight. Normally I want to run and hide my face when I'm outside lol. I also find that this doesn't last all day (hence the -1 lippie). I apply it with the MAC 187 and not a sponge so maybe that has something to do with poor lasting power? I haven't found anything that lasts all day on my skin anyways..

on 12/22/2008 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I bought the powder foundation and compact together 2 years ago. It was an expensive price for the *value* = not worth it!

Refillable Compact: I'm a fan of anything refillable because it's my goal to reduce, reuse, & recycle. Unfortunately, this compact is crap! Yes, it looks cute when it's new, but give it some time and it will reveal its true self. I always have in my purse a small silk pouch where I carry powder, lip balm+color, eye drops, etc. After a year, the compact was all scratched up. I've had it for 2 yrs now and the inside ring where the refillable pan sits is peeling off. I was picking up the product with a sponge and a whole mess of metallic coating of the compact got all over the sponge too. It was nasty and disappointing. The compact is PLASTIC with metallic coating. Poor choice of material for something meant to last and to withstand the abuse of swinging purse/bag. Clinique should have refillables because they make durable compacts.

Powder Foundation: I don't use it on a regular basis because I prefer coverage of liquid foundation. So I only use this to touch up my T-zone. It does cause breakouts when I use it on my cheeks (more acne-prone than my T-zone). I used have bad acne few years ago (acne.org helped me clear up for good!) so I have red scars to conceal. And I don't feel confident leaving home w/o carrying some type of foundation, even though I rarely reach for it, I just feel better having it w/ me. I know this powder can't conceal the level that I need, but it does mediocre job to even out my skin when used damp. It's better than nothing. When I use it up, I will buy something else.

on 12/19/2008 11:10:00 AM

I thought I loved this. For a week, I used it constantly and LOVED the matte, gorgeous finish it gave me. Even the cute case was so chic that I didn't mind leaving it on my desk at work.... then, i started breaking out...breaking out BAD. Little bumps and cystic acne. I kept using this for another week and they just kept coming. I haven't had that kind of acne since college and it was definitely because of this product. I stopped using it and I cleared up thank god. Now I've been using Clinique's version and we're all good.

This went in the trash.

on 12/15/2008 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had always used Shiseido (the sunblock compact) and wanted to try something different. I have VERY acne-prone skin. I did some research and settled on the Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation. At first I liked it but then realized that it looked a bit 'obvious' on my skin. (I prefer the natural look.) But then my skin broke out HORRIBLY. I'll be honest and say that I can't say 100% for sure that it was this product that made me break out so bad. But the timing was EXACT as to when I started using it...So sadly, after all the money I spent on this (and it's EXPENSIVE buying the powder and the case separately) I can't use it.

on 12/10/2008 3:32:00 AM

Is there a secret to the refillable compact and everything fitting nicely? I am on my second refill and both times, the powder refill has cracked because the sponge compartment is not big enough and always sticks up - AND the sticky tape to hold the refill in place gives out rather quickly. I resorted to getting a tiny dot of stick on velcro to keep the refill in place, but because the compartment doesn't close flush, my second refill has broken and it was barely half-way used (bought in 1/08). I am very frustrated with this product because I love the way it looks and feels on my skin, but it's frustrating that they designed the compact so poorly. Any suggestions or am I missing something? I still have the receipt for my refill, is it too embarrassing to return it for another refill?

on 11/22/2008 9:20:00 AM

Fantastic for combination skin. I've been using this for 2 years and definitely my HG powder foundation. I only need to touch up once a day, if at all. It does not really seem like I have foundation on and my skin looks soft and smooth and flawless. My skin has also improved and I have much less acne. If you have acne scars, I use MAC concealer for my acne scars and they are a perfect combination as they blend together really well. I followed the advice from fellow reviewers and bought the Shisedo Compact case and its a much cheaper option.

on 11/16/2008 10:34:00 AM

I love this powder foundation. It makes my skin glow and covers up some imperfections. I would definitely repurchase!