December 20, 2014 | 912 users online

Powder - Stila - Illuminating Powder Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 10:34:00 PM More reviews by bekkbekk1985

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! with acne prone, sensitive skin this works wonders for me. i usually wear stila tinted moisturizer and use a kabuki brush to apply the powder and wow....couldnt be any happier! it's my HG for sure!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 10:25:00 PM More reviews by ckgurl714

I bought this stuff discounted, and unfortunately I don't thinnk I would buy it full price (even though i LOVE it). I just go through it too fast. I use this without the compact, just in the plastic case as I never travel with it and it doesn't really bother me. I use this in shade 20 and shade 75 as a bronzer. I don't use this as my only foundation. I usually use a mineral foundation and then dust shade 20 over, kind of as a finishing powder. I like more coverage from a foundation.
Shade 75 is AMAZING as a bronzer for me. I am super pale and it looks SO natural. Something about it looks glowy but there is no detectable shimmer/glitter which is perfect for natural sunlight! This powder is one of the first things I have found that actually looks good in sunlight. Normally I want to run and hide my face when I'm outside lol. I also find that this doesn't last all day (hence the -1 lippie). I apply it with the MAC 187 and not a sponge so maybe that has something to do with poor lasting power? I haven't found anything that lasts all day on my skin anyways..

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2008 1:17:00 AM More reviews by SweetEngineer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I bought the powder foundation and compact together 2 years ago. It was an expensive price for the *value* = not worth it!

Refillable Compact: I'm a fan of anything refillable because it's my goal to reduce, reuse, & recycle. Unfortunately, this compact is crap! Yes, it looks cute when it's new, but give it some time and it will reveal its true self. I always have in my purse a small silk pouch where I carry powder, lip balm+color, eye drops, etc. After a year, the compact was all scratched up. I've had it for 2 yrs now and the inside ring where the refillable pan sits is peeling off. I was picking up the product with a sponge and a whole mess of metallic coating of the compact got all over the sponge too. It was nasty and disappointing. The compact is PLASTIC with metallic coating. Poor choice of material for something meant to last and to withstand the abuse of swinging purse/bag. Clinique should have refillables because they make durable compacts.

Powder Foundation: I don't use it on a regular basis because I prefer coverage of liquid foundation. So I only use this to touch up my T-zone. It does cause breakouts when I use it on my cheeks (more acne-prone than my T-zone). I used have bad acne few years ago (acne.org helped me clear up for good!) so I have red scars to conceal. And I don't feel confident leaving home w/o carrying some type of foundation, even though I rarely reach for it, I just feel better having it w/ me. I know this powder can't conceal the level that I need, but it does mediocre job to even out my skin when used damp. It's better than nothing. When I use it up, I will buy something else.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2008 11:10:00 AM More reviews by rebeccaae

I thought I loved this. For a week, I used it constantly and LOVED the matte, gorgeous finish it gave me. Even the cute case was so chic that I didn't mind leaving it on my desk at work.... then, i started breaking out...breaking out BAD. Little bumps and cystic acne. I kept using this for another week and they just kept coming. I haven't had that kind of acne since college and it was definitely because of this product. I stopped using it and I cleared up thank god. Now I've been using Clinique's version and we're all good.

This went in the trash.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/15/2008 10:19:00 AM More reviews by ilalmich

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had always used Shiseido (the sunblock compact) and wanted to try something different. I have VERY acne-prone skin. I did some research and settled on the Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation. At first I liked it but then realized that it looked a bit 'obvious' on my skin. (I prefer the natural look.) But then my skin broke out HORRIBLY. I'll be honest and say that I can't say 100% for sure that it was this product that made me break out so bad. But the timing was EXACT as to when I started using it...So sadly, after all the money I spent on this (and it's EXPENSIVE buying the powder and the case separately) I can't use it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2008 3:32:00 AM More reviews by arnaki

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Is there a secret to the refillable compact and everything fitting nicely? I am on my second refill and both times, the powder refill has cracked because the sponge compartment is not big enough and always sticks up - AND the sticky tape to hold the refill in place gives out rather quickly. I resorted to getting a tiny dot of stick on velcro to keep the refill in place, but because the compartment doesn't close flush, my second refill has broken and it was barely half-way used (bought in 1/08). I am very frustrated with this product because I love the way it looks and feels on my skin, but it's frustrating that they designed the compact so poorly. Any suggestions or am I missing something? I still have the receipt for my refill, is it too embarrassing to return it for another refill?

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2008 9:20:00 AM More reviews by taskeeng

Fantastic for combination skin. I've been using this for 2 years and definitely my HG powder foundation. I only need to touch up once a day, if at all. It does not really seem like I have foundation on and my skin looks soft and smooth and flawless. My skin has also improved and I have much less acne. If you have acne scars, I use MAC concealer for my acne scars and they are a perfect combination as they blend together really well. I followed the advice from fellow reviewers and bought the Shisedo Compact case and its a much cheaper option.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2008 10:34:00 AM More reviews by IiIy

I love this powder foundation. It makes my skin glow and covers up some imperfections. I would definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2008 1:47:00 AM More reviews by munchlaxy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure if this is HG status for me yet, but it'd the first and only foundation I've ever hit the pan with.
I have very fair skin (10 watts), and this provides it with decent coverage with a nice, natural finish. I have normal/dry skin, and quite a few liquid foundations crease up and end up oxidizing on me within a few hours. This one doesn't, which is a relief.
I've used it without a primer, which gives it a very sheer look. Great for people with wonderful skin that just want a little bit of a "softer" look in some areas. With a primer (I've only used non-silicone based so it won't bead up) it can be layered quite thick, and I've often paired it with MUFE's HD primer and the Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer, which acts as a primer as well.
The only reason I gave it four out of five stars is that it's got an SPF in it.... Which I don't need since I use it in my Kinerase moistuizer and it doesn't stack, and spf tends to make people look "washed out" in photographs. It's also a bit expensive since you have to buy the (LARGE!) compact separately. I'll probably repurchase, but I'll be trying different foundations in the meantime.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2008 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Chloeclover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a powder foundation with a matte look and I have very oily and acne prone skine. I've tried MAC Fix Studio and its horrible because of the cakey look and it was plain out oily. I've tried Bare minerals which made my skin so oily after an hour of exposure and had to reapply constantly. Stila Powder foundation is amazing. At first I was just trying out new foundations to see which one had the longer coverage and exposure time. Stila is very long lasting I hardly have to reapply. Maybe every 5 hours or so I can reapply. I live in southern california so it gets really hot and i can get sweaty and gross but the makeup doesnt look oily at all.. maybe after like 5 hours but i usually blot or just add blot powder.