Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this product because 1) it was the palest powder I could find and 2) my skin is paler than any foundation shade on the market. I was pretty happy with the color match, but my skin is VERY oily and this did little to sop up my oil. I could only go four hours before having to reapply due to oily break through. I think this is a great product, but not for me. The color is really sheer and goes on super fine, really minimizes pores. However it is better as a powder to set foundation than as a foundation by itself. I keep it in my purse for touch-ups but I really can't justify the $28 this cost again. I have found better (and paler!) products since then so I will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'd say this foundation works best for people with pretty good skin to begin with. I have acne-prone, sensitive and combo skin. This evens out my skin tone, covers up very minor flaws/breakouts and *blurs* the more noticeable ones. The finish is very natural, not quite fully matte, a bit of a glow but not shimmery though the shimmer can be seen in the pan. This is my everyday foundation. I do have other foundations I use for different occasions or for different coverage levels but I use this about 95% of the time (I calculate I wear foundation about 6 days a week, probably a total of 15 days a year where I require a different foundation). While I don't rely on it as my source of sun protection, the SPF 12 is a nice bonus. It feels light on, which I love. I usually apply with a powder brush (kabuki or flat-top powder) which gives a lighter effect, I do use the sponge for touch-ups. I feel the sponge applies the powder too heavily, though, still not cakey. I touch-up about 5 hours into the day - mostly just my nose then about 3 hours later my forehead usually needs a touch-up too. I'm very happy with the compact as well. The sponge is stored underneath the powder in a separate ventilated space which elongates the life of both the powder and sponge. And of course, I love that it is refillable and that the compact must be bought separately from the powder - it makes me happy to reduce/reuse/recycle as much as possible. If you're purchasing this foundation for the first time I suggest you hold off on the compact until you are sure you are happy with the powder. I do wish the compact were a little more solid. I haven't had problems with the compact breaking or anything, I've just always liked it when compacts have a little heft to them, it suggests the high-quality and importance of the product inside. This one is pretty light-weight. Also, the newer compacts aren't nearly as cute as those in the past. Bring back the Stila girls! i believe this powder fits in a Shiseido compact as well so if you're not a fan of the compact but like the powder there are other options to explore.

As far as shades go this foundation is offered in a decent range of choices overall and really pretty great for the lighter end of the spectrum. I know lots of really light girls love the 10 watts - I guess many lines don't offer many really light shades. Most shades are pretty neutral. Though, my shade, 60 Watts (about an NC 35 or so) is considerably warmer/more golden and a little less neutral than the other shades lighter than it. Currently 10-80 Watts is offered. I seem to remember Stila having darker offerings in the past...

I really love this foundation, I just wish it were cheaper. The $28 refills are a bit much but I've decided that I end up wasting more money and take chances with my skin by straying from this and no longer have a desire to search for other foundations. Holy Grail status achieved.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I'll start off by saying I love the refillable compact. This is the cutest compact I've come across, I love it. Too bad I dont like the powder. I'm quite surprised by all the reviews on here saying they're getting a "matte" finish from this... I'll I'm getting is the glitters! I've tried applying this with a brush and a sponge, and both ways all I get is shiny, sparkly, glimmer (which I'm sure is why they call this 'illuminating' powder foundation). I was hoping for a more natural look, but I'll have to look elsewhere. If this is the look you are wanting, then I'm sure you will love this foundation. It gives nice coverage, sheer to medium, depending on how you apply it. I just wish I could find some other powder to put in this adorable compact! LOL!

I absolutely love this. I personally don't think it provides enough coverage to be a stand alone foundation but I think it works fabulous as a face powder. I use 75 watt over top of my 70 watt illuminating foundation and it's absolutely wonderful. Beautiful, flawless skin. Best my face and skin have ever looked when I wear this. I have one in my purse and one in my makeup kit at home. I put it on after my morning makeup and use the one in my purse for touch ups throughout the day because the foundation has a tendency to make me a little oily. I bought the foundation refill and the compact both for 10.00, which was a totally awesome deal! So, for that price, you can't go wrong!

i really don't know why they call it a "foundation" because you never see the coverage!!! it could also be called "sheer pressed powder"!!!! i have it in 50 watts and only use it as a contouring-bronzer and though i have fair skin i really have to pack it on to see the colour!!!! i also don't get why they call it "illuminating" since it is matter than matt!!!! other than that i really like that it's finely milled but i think for a foundation at that price it doesn't worth it!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! with acne prone, sensitive skin this works wonders for me. i usually wear stila tinted moisturizer and use a kabuki brush to apply the powder and wow....couldnt be any happier! it's my HG for sure!

I bought this stuff discounted, and unfortunately I don't thinnk I would buy it full price (even though i LOVE it). I just go through it too fast. I use this without the compact, just in the plastic case as I never travel with it and it doesn't really bother me. I use this in shade 20 and shade 75 as a bronzer. I don't use this as my only foundation. I usually use a mineral foundation and then dust shade 20 over, kind of as a finishing powder. I like more coverage from a foundation.
Shade 75 is AMAZING as a bronzer for me. I am super pale and it looks SO natural. Something about it looks glowy but there is no detectable shimmer/glitter which is perfect for natural sunlight! This powder is one of the first things I have found that actually looks good in sunlight. Normally I want to run and hide my face when I'm outside lol. I also find that this doesn't last all day (hence the -1 lippie). I apply it with the MAC 187 and not a sponge so maybe that has something to do with poor lasting power? I haven't found anything that lasts all day on my skin anyways..

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I bought the powder foundation and compact together 2 years ago. It was an expensive price for the *value* = not worth it!

Refillable Compact: I'm a fan of anything refillable because it's my goal to reduce, reuse, & recycle. Unfortunately, this compact is crap! Yes, it looks cute when it's new, but give it some time and it will reveal its true self. I always have in my purse a small silk pouch where I carry powder, lip balm+color, eye drops, etc. After a year, the compact was all scratched up. I've had it for 2 yrs now and the inside ring where the refillable pan sits is peeling off. I was picking up the product with a sponge and a whole mess of metallic coating of the compact got all over the sponge too. It was nasty and disappointing. The compact is PLASTIC with metallic coating. Poor choice of material for something meant to last and to withstand the abuse of swinging purse/bag. Clinique should have refillables because they make durable compacts.

Powder Foundation: I don't use it on a regular basis because I prefer coverage of liquid foundation. So I only use this to touch up my T-zone. It does cause breakouts when I use it on my cheeks (more acne-prone than my T-zone). I used have bad acne few years ago (acne.org helped me clear up for good!) so I have red scars to conceal. And I don't feel confident leaving home w/o carrying some type of foundation, even though I rarely reach for it, I just feel better having it w/ me. I know this powder can't conceal the level that I need, but it does mediocre job to even out my skin when used damp. It's better than nothing. When I use it up, I will buy something else.

I thought I loved this. For a week, I used it constantly and LOVED the matte, gorgeous finish it gave me. Even the cute case was so chic that I didn't mind leaving it on my desk at work.... then, i started breaking out...breaking out BAD. Little bumps and cystic acne. I kept using this for another week and they just kept coming. I haven't had that kind of acne since college and it was definitely because of this product. I stopped using it and I cleared up thank god. Now I've been using Clinique's version and we're all good.

This went in the trash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I had always used Shiseido (the sunblock compact) and wanted to try something different. I have VERY acne-prone skin. I did some research and settled on the Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation. At first I liked it but then realized that it looked a bit 'obvious' on my skin. (I prefer the natural look.) But then my skin broke out HORRIBLY. I'll be honest and say that I can't say 100% for sure that it was this product that made me break out so bad. But the timing was EXACT as to when I started using it...So sadly, after all the money I spent on this (and it's EXPENSIVE buying the powder and the case separately) I can't use it.