July 25, 2014 | 1946 users online

Treatments - Sally Hansen - Instant Cuticle Remover

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by 777designz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I finally found out what was making my nails peel and break more often - Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover! I had heard that the basecoat I was using could cause this so I stopped using it for a couple months and my nails never got better. I used to use this cuticle remover regularly but it seemed like my cuticles were getting dried out so I haven't been using it very often. My nail peeling had been getting better, but I couldn't figure out why. Yesterday my cuticles were a little stained up from dark blue nail polish so I used the cuticle remover for the first time in weeks. Well low and behold when I removed my nail polish today I had really bad peelies again, right next to my cuticle, shaped like a U (like my cuticles). The rest of my nails were fine, just peeling around my cuticles. I'm so glad I finally figured this out!

I tried using this like the directions but it just seemed to make my cuticles more raggedy looking. The only way I got good results is to soak my hands in warm soapy water for a few minutes until my skin is softened, dry hands and apply cuticle remover, after about 20 seconds it starts looking cloudy I'd gently push back my cuticles with a orangewood stick, wait about 20 more seconds and then use the edge of the cuticle stick to gently scrape the dead skin and cuticle remover off my cuticles. Wash thoroughly with soap and water for a minute. Apply a thick cream afterwards. This really does get rid of dead skin and any polish stains, but it really dries out your cuticles. Even with regular moisturizing I notice about 3 days after use my cuticles look really dry.

Although this is better for your cuticles than cutting, I really think it's better to just regularly push back your cuticles after a bath or shower and use lotion all the time to get nice cuticles.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2011 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Chickadee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best cuticle remover that Sally Hansen makes. I have horrible, dry, ragged cuticles, and this takes care of them! I use a plastic cuticle pusher I've had for years, and in no time they are gone!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

my mom recommended I get this. she's tried every cuticle cream/remover out there and said this one was the best. mom was right!

I put a small dot on each cuticle and let it set for about 15-20 seconds. Then using a wooden orange stick, I scrape around the cuticle to remove. Wipe or rinse off and bye-bye cuticles!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2011 11:25:00 AM More reviews by gail44

I just bought this yesterday after seeing all the good reviews about it and thank goodness I did. It works really really well. I saw a girl on youtube use it on herself and couldnt believe my eyes at how quickly and effectively it removes unwanted cuticles. I found that when you make a U shape along your nail, it removes old nail polish from those hard to reach places on the sides of your nail, which was a total plus. I recommend putting it on one hand, removing your cuticles and then doing your other hand because if you leave it on too long, it does dry out. But that's noooo big deal. My nails actually look neat and proffesional because all my nasty cuticles are gone. I will always have this in my collection!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2011 10:55:00 PM More reviews by jlynn1986

Wow!! I don't know what sparked my interest, but I started researching cuticle remover and then eventually forgot about it. Then this little gem popped up on the MUA homepage and I ran out to get it today. So glad I did! I have pretty awful cuticles and they stick to my nail like no other. This has been awesome! Totally transformed how polish goes on and it makes it look very professional.

How I use this: (1) Make a U shape on each nail, on hand at a time; (2) Let it sit for 20 seconds; (3) Push cuticles back with opposite thumb; and (4) Take wet, warm washcloth and rub each nail. Love :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2011 5:03:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

Lately, I would keep hearing about this product and how it's a "favorite" among many bloggers. It was one of those products that I was meaning to purchase for some time, and never really got around (or made an attempt) to purchase it. Finally, I decided go purchase it, after a failed attempt of cutting my cuticles using a cuticle nipper. What's really great about this product is the ease of use. It's pretty much a no brainer. It takes less than a minute (more like 5 seconds) to apply the thin gel around your cuticle and then you wait for 15 seconds, push your cuticles back with a cuticle pusher and rinse your fingers. It almost instantly softens the cuticles so they are easy to push back and it peels off, or dissolves the excess cuticles on the nail - which is typically hard to remove otherwise. I've been using it 1-2 times a week and my cuticles are looking so much better. I'll admit it, my cuticles were looking pretty bad. I was debating whether or not to get a professional manicure, just so they can clip my cuticles for me. I'm so happy this has saved me the hassle. It has also helped my nail polish last longer because my polish would always end up chipping or lifting off near my cuticle - because basically, I would be polishing over the excess cuticles on my nail bed on some nails. This is a product I'm going to definitely re-purchase and always have on hand to maintain clean cuticles. Highly Recommend! Plus, it's only about $4.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2011 2:02:00 AM More reviews by maomaouchi

This product is an easy and effective way of getting rid of cuticles. It is a clear blue gel that comes in a bottle with a small tip so that a small amount of product can be delivered specifically to your cuticles. The label says it will remove your cuticles in 15 sec, but I get the best results by putting this on all my cuticles on one hand and pushing back the cuticles with an orange stick, leaving the product on my cuticles for around 1 min. This effectively gets rid of the majority of the excess skin around my nails and is painless, unlike going to the salon and having them scrape and cut them off. I find that it is enough to use this product just once a week or so, and doing this helps me to maintain great, healthy looking and not sore cuticles with minimal effort. The first time you do it may not take all the cuticle off (for those of us that are nail polish beginners and haven't been getting rid of them) , but the results are better and more consistent with maintained care. A great price (~$5-$7 at drugstores) and it's often on sale as well. Also, a little goes a long way so this will last you a very long time. Great product, can't find anything bad to say about it at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by rachel5788

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is HG for me. My cuticles are bad and I bite them and get hangnails a lot. Now they look almost perfect. I can put the gel on and let it go for as long as I need but I usually try and not let it dry cause it works better as a liquid. I just put it on and push the cuticle back and scrape off the excess skin. It does dry out my nails but as long as I put on lotion or something after it's fine. And my toes! Ew those cuticles are a mess. This just takes it off when i use a stick to push them back. My mani and pedi is soooo much better now. And I think I have less ingrown toenails too haha (tmi). I love this a lot. This isn't THE BEST but it works pretty darn good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2011 4:40:00 AM More reviews by nubletta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a good product that gets the job done. My only issue with it is that if I leave it on longer (30 sec or more), it starts to dry and becomes hard to work with. So I use it a few seconds after putting it on.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by polishnut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover is basically a cuticle softening gel. The instructions say that it dissolves dry cuticles in 15 seconds and for callused skin you may leave it on for as much as one minute and then wash off and push back cuticles with a cuticle pusher. I have been using this product for about nine months and have to say that I don't notice much difference between this and straight old soaking in soap and water to soften the cuticles. This product basically does the same thing. However, soaking takes longer and this actually does work quickly. Therefore, I would buy this again.