April 20, 2014 | 1095 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Ultrabland

rated 2 of 5 on 10/21/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by TheMoonBunny

I have sensitive, acne-prone combination skin. I tried using Ultrabland about a week ago because I wanted a cleanser that would do double duty by removing makeup. I normally use Lush's Angels on Bare Skin and love it.

Ultrabland did not work well for me! It brought back my acne. Now I'm trying to fix things by going back to my former routine. >___< These are my results/findings after just 3-4 days of Ultrabland:

PROS
--- easily removed foundation
--- seemed to help get rid of some small bumps on my forehead
--- creates that "squeaky clean" feeling, if you like that (I don't)

CONS
--- made me break out in regular & cystic acne along my cheeks & jaw
--- made me break out in tiny whiteheads (4-6)
--- I kept waking up with an oily T-zone (not normal for me)
--- have to use a washcloth each time to rub it off, which felt abrasive and creates more laundry
--- sucks at removing eye makeup

Overall, maybe this would be better for folks with really dry skin... I'm not sure! I do know a couple girls who are in their 20s and use this with no problem..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really reticent to use this just because some of LUSH's products (esp. their moisturizers) have broken me out. Ultrabland does not break me out!! Which is awesome in itself. I use it at night to wipe off my makeup. I wipe it off with a damp wash cloth. It doesn't take off all of my foundation, but it takes off most of it. I do remove my eye makeup beforehand because I wear a smokey eye every day and it gets messy. I have to go back over with BOFA toner and a cotton ball to make sure all the residue is off. I'm satisfied with this cleanser because it doesn't break me out, it takes off most of my makeup, and it isn't drying!! I highly recommend this cleanser for people who wear makeup daily with sensitive dry skin like myself.
UPDATE: Just repurchased. Really worth the money IMO it took me a little while to get used to this way of taking my makeup off but it's gentle and effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2012 8:36:00 PM More reviews by LittleDizzle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG moisturizer. It is meant to be a makeup remover/cleanser, but after I damaged my skin by adopting an overzealous regimen, i needed something super gentle and protective for my skin. Being an oily girl, I didn't have much that matched that description in my cabinet, except my once in a while makeup remover - Ultrabland. As a makeup remover, it's good. It does exactly what it says. Since I don't use it for that anymore, I'll only comment on how I use it.

I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. Up until this point, CeraVe was my favorite moisturizer, since it was the only thing that kept my skin from flaking (Tazorac fan!). However, by late afternoon my face would feel tight again, and I suspected it might have been contributing to an occasional pimple (perhaps!). So as I mentioned, my skin was in bad shape. I slathered this on at night, feeling rather greasy, and went to bed. When I woke up, my skin was so much calmer and it had healed a considerable amount. Noticing this, I used it again as a daytime moisturizer (although I applied much less), and then applied my makeup. It was the first time in ages that my face didn't feel tight halfway through the day. Each day and night I used it, I saw my skin improve by leaps and bounds. Now, I would never give this up.

I will wrap up this review by saying I've been using it for two months now, AM and PM, after cleansing with CeraVe foaming cleanser and after applying Metronidazole cream (AM) and Tazorac (PM), both very drying products. I apply a teeny bit of Ultrabland around my mouth and eyes after applying my actives, and wait for it to sink in - about 10 min. I then spread it from my mouth and eyes to the rest of my face, since the heat from my skin makes it a lovely spreadable texture. My skin is the best it's ever been, and makeup goes on like a dream (although my skin is so well-behaved now, I've been going without makeup quite a bit lately!). HG for sure.
ETA: I've noticed some people saying Ultrabland contains peanut oil. I live in the States and get my Lush products shipped from Canada, and mine contains almond oil, not peanut oil. I have no idea how my skin would react to peanut oil, but it seems to be doing well with the almond oil formulation, so I pray they don't change the formula!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by Lulu2387

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This product is great at removing heavy makeup even waterproof makeup. But I do not like the thick greasy feeling it leaves on my face, I digests have to use my facial cleanser afterwards and a deep cleansing one. I have oily skin so I've noticed that if I didn't use a cleanser after washing my face with ultraband the next morning my skin would be super oily & I did break out on the cheeks most likely from the oils clogging my pores & not getting a thorough cleansing... Great for removing all kind of makeup but in my case not for oily skin & definitely does not give me the kind of cleansing that I like.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2012 8:12:00 PM More reviews by composure

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ultrabland was excellent in theory. Removing make up with wax. I have very acne-prone skin and am always concerned with getting all the make up off. I would get a dime size on my palm and massage it all over my face, then get a facial wipe dampen with hot water and wipe it off my face. I would proceed to use a cleanser afterwards. Ultrabland does do a great job in removing the toughest waterproof mascara but getting the wax off was not as easy. I noticed that my pores got congested after a few days of usage and I broke out. I can definitely rule out silicones, oils and waxes now for helping my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 6:02:00 AM More reviews by delicatepost

My friend gave me a pot of this because he works there and gets tons of free products so I tried it out...

I loved the fact that it actually did it's job, it really does cleanse my skin and take my makeup off.. the only con which I didn't like is that I have to rub it all over my face with my makeup and I just feel icky and yuck.. that's why I didn't buy it again.. I don't like the way I have to take the makeup off with this,, then spray a toner on a cotton pad and clean off.. I don't know... I prefer to wash my face or cleanse with milk rather than rubbing my face..

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by kaileylovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is great! I use this after AOBS because my skin is starting to react to Skin Drink. The product comes in two sizes; I got the smallest. For how little you need the smallest size will probably last someone quite a while. I love the smell of this product, a little like honey and beeswax but oh so faintly and naturally. I used Ultrabland on my moist face after cleansing my makeup off and the product was thick but spread easily with the water. It felt coating, a little like a creamy petrolatum but more pleasant and natural! I love the smell of it on my face, it's very gentle. After wiping off with damp cotton wool my face is baby smooth and feels like a dream with no itchiness or irritation. This product reminds me of an ultra natural Pond's cream with no artificial crud. It's absolutely fantastic, I definitely recommend this products even for oily skin. While I have dry skin a friend of mine is going to try the Ultrabland with me because with oily skin you combat it with oil. The reason skin produces excess is because we use drying artificial and harsh ingredients on our skin. I think this would really help anyone with inflamed skin! Buying more tomorrow even and I have only used this once

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2012 7:22:00 AM More reviews by JellyBelly19

Lush is one of my favourite shops and I regularly go into my local one to get bath bombs, face masks etc. I had never tried ultrabland before but asked for a sample one day as I was looking for an oil based cleanser which sounds strange as my skin has turned oily over the last year or so, but I had heard oil with oil works. The sales assistant gave me a sample in one of the tiny black pots, i thought it would last one or two uses. However it actually lasted my 7 days.
To use the product there are different ways, the way I use the cleanser is to take off my makeup. I get a pea sized amount out of the pot with clean hands and warm it in my fingers, then I rub it gently over my face massaging it in in small circles. I also go over my eyelids but I find if you are wearing heavy eye makeup it doesn't get it all off.
I then take 2 cotton pads and use the first one to wipe away the cleanser from my face, and the second one over my eyelids. There is still some residue left over so I spritz some toner onto another cotton pad and wipe my face over. Then all the makeup and dirt is gone.
I must add that I do use a cleanser after this, I basically use ultrabland as an alternative to face wipes which sting my face and don't quite get all the makeup off.

This cleanser is probably great for most skin types, some people will be put off by the texture and smell. It is very greasy/waxy an smells a bit like peanuts... But it is truly great.
It does seem expensive 6.75 for 45g but I have had the pot I bought 4 moths ago and it's still got about a third left, and I use it every night, when you think a pack of 20 face wipes is 2-3 a time it doesn't seem like an expensive purchase.

I find ultrbland to life any spots that are under the skin up to the surface... I used to suffer with awful red lumps on my face that never used to surface and would stay for a week, however this cleanser seems to pull them out of the pores so they aren't red and go away in a matter of days.

Overall this product is fantastic, I will buy it again when I eventually need too. If you do find this product too heavy then I would recommend lush's 9-5 cleanser which works along the same lines but is a lotion so a lot thinner than ultrbland.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Alishasilk

Ultrabland, is an amazing cleanser! I have used it religiously for 3 years It is good for all skin types, I work for lush and am not just saying it because I work there if there is one product that I had to stick with for the rest of my life, it would be this! You can use its a night cream if your skin is extremely dry. Also if you get ache or break out easily use it for a month an it clears your ski up wonderfully. Best way I use it, rub it all over your face use a flannel or muslin cloth (not Cotten pads! Doesn't take anything of, your be there for ages!) rub under quite hirt water and wash of. Amazing!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/30/2012 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Laura22smom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While I love many lush products, I so dislike this product I felt compelled to write a review after a long hiatus. While I can see that many others find this product helpful, I'm about to throw out an almost full tub. I've tried it 3 or 4 times and each time I wondered if they had put the wrong product in the container. It was so thick, dense, waxy and near impossible to remove I thought it must be some intense ultra moisturizing foot lotion :). Joking aside, before you buy this, I just want you to be aware of what your getting into. If you try it in the store and it seems to be a consistency you enjoy and then there must be some clear benefits (based on the many positive reviews). However, don't just order this without feeling it as I did. Even my 8 year old daughter was put off by how it felt on my face. Just FYI - some face products I do enjoy (for reference purposes only) are bliss foaming face wash and arcona cranberry toner. I lalso love lush celestial moisturizer.