MAC Up The Amp

4.7

on 1/17/2013 1:38:00 PM

This is a gorgeous purply shade which can be applied normally for everyday wear (I wear it to work) or more thickly for a more stand-out effect. Either way its a lovely colour and a lovely formula which lasts well but still feels soft and creamy. Another great lippy from mac.

on 1/16/2013 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is my favourite lavender/violet shade. Its incredibly wearable- somehow it manages to come off very natural which is strange for this type of shade I know!. Other than a few of my neutral browns by MAC, Up the Amp is the only MAC lippie I have ever used all the way up (or down lol). Its an uber creamy formula as its of the Amplified Creme line (my fave) and doesn't call for much retouching throughout hours of wear. Although lavenders are a sort of trend right now, this one is going to be a staple for me long term- provided it doesn't get discontinued!

on 1/4/2013 8:34:00 PM

LOVE this lippy the texture is vey nice. It is a truly bold lip color. I don't wear lipliner with it. You can apply it lightly on your lips for a subtle look During the day. This is one of my must have lipstick in the spring and summer. I would buy this over and over again ;)

on 12/9/2012 7:33:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Love it love it love it. Lasts a long time, feels great on my lips and just overall an awesome color without freaking my boyfriend out haha. Great for any season as you can layer it lighter or darker and a great substitue for a red lip as it can be harsh depending on skintone. Will definitely keep in my makeup bag!

on 12/5/2012 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I am super warm toned and this looks amazing on. It pulls more pink than lavander. Lavanders make me look corpse like.

on 12/5/2012 3:43:00 PM

I used to think Up the amp was really purple. I tried it on after being majorly into plums and purples recently for fall and winter, and must say it is MUCH more wearable than I thought.
One good layer makes it a purplish pink on my pigmented lips, medium olive skin tone (NC 25-30). Very wearable. Several layers bring out the slight purpleness in it more but it is still very, very wearable. I actually will probably save this one for spring - I bet it will be awesome then. Will wear it occasionally now, but I prefer more extreme plums, bordeaux and purplish reds or berries now.
(Some favourites for those craving similar colours currently are Mac Rebel, Amorous and Captive with different liners like Magenta, Vino, Half Red; Benefit's No competition, Oh Currant & Espionage, Revlon Plumalicious, Illamasqua Magnetism, Wet n Wild Ravin Raisin and Sugar Plum Fairy.)

on 11/24/2012 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I wnt go into describing the colour becuase I think its been reviewed so many times.

When I go this home I thought this would be one of those colours that I would wear for a while then think 'really? Is this your colour' and not really wear it that often.

I thought it would be a colour where I would have to keep the rest of my face neutral but as Im such an eye & blush girl I tend to reach for my Hug Me's, Modestys & Twig type colours more.

But actually I can pull it off with a fairly heavy black eyeliner look. I havent tried it with a colourful e/s but then I dont really do colourful eyes AND lipsmwithout feeling like a clown.

The other thing Ive done sometimes with this l/s is mixed it with a more opaque nude & it looks great.

on 9/19/2012 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This a creme lipstick that claims to be lavender violet but I'd call it mauve to purple pink. This is a more subtle neon color. I think this color works very well with my light-medium olive skin and is just enough to make you stand out but, not to bright to make you look over the top. The lasting power honestly could be better but the moisturizing power is actually very good. Overall a very nice, young, stylish shade. I'd def repurchase.

on 9/14/2012 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Up the Amp is a beautiful lipstick. I'd describe the color as neon mauve: a pinkish purple bright enough to make you stand out but subtle enough that you won't look insane if you wear it during the day. The formula is very moisturizing, even on my dry lips, but I had to take off one lippie for the staying power: it doesn't last more than two hours on me, and that's without eating or drinking. One sip of water and it's gone. Still, if you don't mind touching up your lipstick every couple hours, this is a great find.

on 9/10/2012 5:46:00 PM

I don't reach for Up the Amp often, but it is a great colour and while I find some MAC lipstick finishes to be way too dry, I have not found Up the Amp to be drying at all.

Up the Amp shows like a very purple based pink on my pigmented lips, and is very opaque. I went from brunette to being a red head for a while and found that Up the Amp was too cool to wear with a warm haircolour. Now that I'm back to brunette I have worn Up the Amp a few times and it looks great! This is not a shade that I can wear to work but it is a shade that I can wear as a statement on a night out.

Overall, great colour and if I ever finish Up the Amp, I will likely repurchase.

Popular Lipsticks