Ivory Soap

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Ingredients: SODIUM TALLOWATE AND/OR SODIUM PALMATE, WATER, SODIUM COCOATE AND/OR SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, GLYCERIN, SODIUM CHLORIDE, FRAGRANCE, COCONUT ACID*, PALM KERNEL ACID*, TALLOW ACID*, PALM ACID*, TETRASODIUM EDTA.

on 10/26/2009 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I haven't used this soap in over 30 years. Unless it has been reformulated since then, this has got to be the most drying soap out there. This soap sucks (strips) the skin (or my skin, anyway) of all oils. Definitely not a good thing. I moisturized with lotion and that didn't help. Back then my parents didn't have a lot of money (and they probably didn't know all the other options) and we used this stuff for everything -- body wash, face wash, dish detergent, hair shampoo. This will strip your hair of everything. I'm African American with natural hair and after shampooing with this stuff my hair did not have good feeling at all (think brillo pad). Back then we didn't even use hair conditioner and I couldn't even handle (manage) my own hair. Had to get others to comb it for me. This soap does not bring forth good memories at all.

One positive, it sure did clean the crap off of the dishes. Damn fine as dish detergent.

on 10/19/2009 7:56:00 PM

Why doesn't this work on me? I have ezcema on one leg. After reading the reviews here, I decided to try it. I don't like the squeaky clean feeling it gives after rinsing off. Maybe I am just not used to it - my whole body felt dry after the shower so I applied lotion all over. Overall skin felt okay with lotion except my ezcema spot was *so dry* after 7 hours! . I used it on my face as well it was actually alright. If I don't have ezcema I may keep on using this but nah, I am staying away from it. By far, Cetaphil is the best for cleaning ezcema skin.

on 7/24/2009 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is crap in my opinion. It's individually packaged in paper - I know, weird. Doesn't moisturize a lot, smells weird. But worst of all, the freaking soap just destroys itself in my bath within 2 days - litterally!!! No way I'll change my soap that frequently!

on 6/26/2009 3:03:00 PM

When I first started staying the night at SO's house, this was what was in the shower. At first I didn't like the smell/feel of it and was used to the uber moisturizing dove soap. but i must say i've changed my opinion!

SO's family has sensitive skin (much like me, reactive and picky!) but this doesn't cause any problems for me. I love the smell, the shape, and the suds. it can be a tad drying but I always use a lotion after... even if i use it on my face, i have no problems!

on 4/18/2009 3:19:00 PM

This has to be the most harsh soap on the market. It dried my skin out so badly that it took it weeks to recover. Only use this if your skin is a pure oil slick, otherwise stay very far away!

on 3/5/2009 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is the ONLY soap my husband will use. He actually uses it for shampoo too. I only use it in the summer if I'm really hot and sticky, otherwise it's way too drying for me. I guess a low maintenance husband is a good thing....more disposable income for my higher maintenance lifestyle. The only problem with a low maintenance guy.....he tends not to understand my need for the finer things in life.

on 3/5/2009 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Ivory soap can do no wrong by me! I have overall sensitive skin, with an area of eczema on one leg, and this soap makes my skin happy. I love the fact that it rinses out/off totally, with absolutely no irritation whatsoever. Sometimes the most simple, tried and true, time tested products are the best.

on 1/26/2009 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I love Ivory soap. I have sensitive skin and it works great. Love the smell too.

on 1/16/2009 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've used bar soaps all my life on my body, but I have never liked Ivory. The texture is much slimier than other bar soaps I've used. I really don't care for the smell, and it never feels like it cleans me as well. I feel like there's a residue on my skin afterwards. I have never used this on my face. The price is usually very cheap though. And at least it never gave me a reaction or caused breakouts on my body.

on 12/26/2008 9:28:00 PM

My face started to break out like crazy and I was trying everything I could to clear it up. I had just finished up using Proactiv and was tired of trying things that didn't work. I usually use ivory as a body soap but tried it on my face because I had nothing else. To my surprise it began to clear my skin after about a week. It is very drying on my face but I think thats what makes it work because it dried out all of my pimples. After my face cleared I went back to philosophy but everytime I see a pimple coming I go back to ivory. It works every time!