April 18, 2014 | 1699 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Hypnotic Poison

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

A fragrance that would suit both men and women. I read that they reformulated this and put it in a different bottle.. I have the original n plan on stocking up (lots of places have slow turnOver rates). It's so warm and pretty. Very pleasant. I get told 'you smell so good' when i wear it. It would make a good gift for gourmand lovers. It has a nice bitter smokiness that balances the sweetness.
P.S. There's a beautifully eloquent and detailed review of this by someone called nopasho on fragrantica.com. He/she explains all the different contrasts and the general feel of HP so well!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by kinta80s

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Would definitely repurchase this product, even though I'm looking forward for another chance of getting it tax-free since it is pretty expensive for a student budget (wouldnt really call it overpriced). It smells really elegant, and it makes me feel dressed up even though i normally wear t-shirt. I dont like strong perfumes and this is not considered as one, ive received quite a lot of compliments wearing this. lasts throughout the entire day. and even months on the same scarf that hasnt been washed for ages :P

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2012 1:39:00 AM More reviews by deliberateangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is my holy grail of fragrances. I have weird body chemistry and this really is lovely on me. It starts out with a sharp note surrounded by a little vanilla, sugar and woods. The vanilla is unusual, creamy and dreamy. It almost is slightly root beer, slightly play dough for a short time. Then, it's more vanilla, sugars, waffle cones the bitter note.
This is pretty yet with a wicked side. It's very fairy tale and the bottle nicely suits the scent. It's red and kind of looks like a gothic apple.
This is not for a sweet innocent type of person. It's more for a bold woman or the edgy type.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 1:38:00 PM More reviews by kittensandbows

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the only perfume I use regularly since I discovered it when I was 16. This girl I knew always smelled so awesome, and I asked her what it was - it was Hypnotic Poison.

I ordered myself a bottle and fell in love. On her, it smelled delicate, pretty, and baby powder like with a hint of vanilla.

On me, it smells sultry and warm and sexy. I really pull up vanilla from my fragrances, but this doesn't smell at all "foodlike" on me, despite the dominating bitter almond and vanilla notes. It's just intoxicating. My husband absolutely LOVES it.

I'm very, very picky about fragrances. Florals smell very "grandma" to me and I really can't stand smelling like a cheap dessert all the time (which is pretty much what I get with every single "celebrity" designed perfume I've sampled). HP is so classy, sexy, mysterious, elegant, and strong, but not overwhelming. It's such a unique fragrance - feminine, without being pungent or cloying. The scent is just...smooth and luscious. People will want to know what you're wearing when they smell this on you.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/27/2011 3:12:00 PM More reviews by MarianNorris

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The other day I sprayed on Pure Poison and loved it but saw reviews that said this one was much better..WRONG-O! This is absolutely horrible, made me literally sick to my stomach! I think I washed my hand, where I'd sprayed it on, least a dozen times but still smelled it until I finally washed it with some tub cleaner that finally knocked out the ODOR! Do not buy this unsprayed because apparently it had a bad reaction on ME! UGH!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 6:26:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

If you like vanilla, you will probably like this perfume. Actually, I think it smells very similar to bath and body works warm vanilla sugar, which I do like but don't wear. It opens with a small blast of licorice along with the dominant vanilla, but thankfully that disappears quick. My main problem with this is the price, for what it is, a basic vanilla scent, it's quiet pricey. I haven't actually found a dior perfume I like, but still, I expect more from a high end fragrance and designer, more depth, more character, more development. I can find this same scent at the drug store for a fraction of this price.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by Munyabooby

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was never interested in perfume of any kind until early this year when a friend of mine whipped out a fancy looking bottle which happened to be a DKNY Be Delicious. I sprayed abit of it and didn't like it but she was about to venture out of the country and if I had sum cash prepared she would buy me a bottle or 2. As for the choice of perfume she told me 2 explore on the internet and lo and behold! I discovered a whole new world of fragrances. To cut a long story short my current signature scent is Vera Wang Princess and I never imagined I'd love another fragrance until I sniffed Hypnotic Poison at a newly opened department store and I thought OMG! I had never smelled anything so warm and delicious and addictive! Yeh, I don't know anything about notes but I know a magnificent perfume when I smell one; I was instantly hooked and though it was very expensive i.e $130 for a 3.4oz at Foschini's I knew I'd never have peace if I didn't buy it so I went ahead and did. And I don't regret it coz IMO its the perfect fragrance for all seasons. On my skin it lasted for hours and only disapeared after I showered. If it wasn't for the price I'd give it a 5 but eish, the staff is costly. Still I see myself wearing this fragrance for the rest of my life or until Dior makes the terrible decision 2 discontinue

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2011 9:31:00 PM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Smells like coconut but not sweet, fruity, coconut. I find it a little bit lifeless and their is a weird unpleasant smell I can't place under the coconut smell. It's just okay nothing fabulous.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 10:03:00 PM More reviews by shyred05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was getting sick of my foodie vanilla scents like Pink Sugar, CSP's Coco Vanille, Laura Mercier's Vanilla Gourmand, and JS's Fancy... so when I read the high reviews of Hypnotic Poison (sexy/musky non-gourmand grown-up vanilla) I thought "how come I never tried this before?!" Someone gave me the green Tendre Poison years ago and though I liked it and used it occasionally, it wasn't in my favorites...

So w/o even smelling Hypnotic Poison, I ordered online (fragrancenet.com is -surprisingly!- more expensive, so I got the 1.7 oz 69 usd from sephora)... I tried it & was kinda alarmingly surprised.. it was pretty strong for an EDT, but like what the other reviewers said after 15 minutes I was IN LOVE! It smells so different from my other EDTs... I kept sniffing my wrists throughout the day and at night I could still smell it. Its like a seductive licorice for me.. Can't wait to try this out! I think I found my WINTER signature scent. Will buy again! Though Sephora doesn't carry the 3.4 oz EDT, Macy's does online. :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by sauce62

I ordered samples from The Perfumed Court of this and Pure Poison and Tendre Poison..Not impressed with this one. Smells like burnt vanilla, with a musty rather stale aroma. My C.O. Bigelow Vanilla smells better, although extremely similar. Nope, not a Dior fan.