September 22, 2014 | 1910 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Hypnotic Poison

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2012 8:26:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm a huge fan of gourmand sweet scents, but not this one. I was recommended this at Dillards since I said I was looking for a vanilla scent. But this just pulled off as a straight up licorice. No vanilla. I'll pass.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2012 10:34:00 PM More reviews by dreamsecurity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have subconsciously avoided Dior scents all throughout my teens and early-twenties, but stumbled upon this at Ulta one day when I was looking for something new. I sprayed it, noticed its root beer qualities, then forgot about it. Later that day, I noticed how the root beer scent faded, leaving a creamy, warm, very addictive glow behind. Went back the next day and bought it.

This is a must have for any gourmand lover, and I like that it can be dressed up or down. It wouldn't feel out of place with jeans and hair in a ponytail, nor would it feel too casual with a cocktail dress and gloves. It manages to morph with whatever you are wearing.

I did take off one point for it being fairly expensive--it's not cringe-worthy, but it's definitely not something I would carelessly buy. However, I do love it and will definitely repurchase.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2012 3:40:00 PM More reviews by DiaryofaDyme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

One word to describe it: cheap- it has the word written all over it. It's packaging-extremely tacky(what is it supposed to look like? The apple given to snow white?).It smells like vanilla, almonds, and rootbeer. It is alleged to smell 'sexy', which is why so many women flock to buy this fragrance, knowing all too well that they don't associate vanilla with sex. Why some people seem to associate gourmand fragrances with sex is beyond me in the first place. Consequently, the crowd it attracts is a cheap one-women who wear this fragrance just because it is 'supposed' to 'attract' others. The only thing I see it attracting is nausea.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2012 10:37:00 AM More reviews by ebanks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this perfume. In college a girl on my floor would always spray this as she was leaving and finally I caught her one day to ask what it was. This was it! I love it. it is very different from other perfumes, and doesn't smell like anything else I've ever tried. I am on my 2nd bottle and will be getting another one when I run out. It is more my night time/ winter fragrance because of its warmth and depth.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by ThinMinti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Smells like play-dough.Certain people love to wear the hell outta this to many peoples misfortune.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2012 7:10:00 PM More reviews by Rachelesque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

One-shot review from an in-store tester:

Top note: very strong teaberry (traditional bubblegum smell, if you can imagine it without sugar).

Middle notes: teaberry, woods, vanilla, musk, and something that smells like...dirty laundry. But creamy, and strong.

Base notes: pleasant vanilla musk.

Overall: this fragrance really didn't work with my chemistry. The top and middle stages were both very strong, and a bit unpleasant. I felt a bit nauseous when I was driving around after spraying the tester. After about 45 minutes, it was OK, but I really feel I could get the effect of the base notes in a Body Fantasies spray for a lot less money and without the unfortunate drydown. If you have problems with "dirty laundry" notes in fragrances, avoid this, because the culprit is strong in this one. (No, I don't know what ingredient causes it).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 11:18:00 PM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing Hypnotic Poison on-and-off for about eight years. This is the one perfume that has stayed in my collection and rotation for one reason - it smells amazing.

To me, Hypnotic Poison smells like spicy vanilla. Even though it's very vanilla-y, it's not an immature or overpowering vanilla. It's very sophisticated and warm. Despite it being more on the warm side, it is definitely wearable in the spring and summer months. The scent also lasts and lasts. As much as I adore Hypnotic Poison, it's one of those perfumes that I only reach for once in a blue moon mainly because I have a collection of perfumes that I like to rotate so I don't get bored. Even though I only wear this occasionally, I still get compliments on it. Considering I'm on my second bottle, I would likely buy this again because, for me, this is just a classic scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by AngieHH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been wearing this scent since it first appeared on the market. I've tried others . . .most recently Vera Want Princess Night, which is also a little heady with the vanilla, but always go back to my HP. I've accepted the fact that it is and will forever be my signature scent. LOVE it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 6:51:00 PM More reviews by amndajohnson87

I've never really been into perfume but I LOVE this... I always get tons of compliments. To me this scent is sweet but also daring and sultry. Will definitely buy again when I run out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

A fragrance that would suit both men and women. I read that they reformulated this and put it in a different bottle.. I have the original n plan on stocking up (lots of places have slow turnOver rates). It's so warm and pretty. Very pleasant. I get told 'you smell so good' when i wear it. It would make a good gift for gourmand lovers. It has a nice bitter smokiness that balances the sweetness.
P.S. There's a beautifully eloquent and detailed review of this by someone called nopasho on fragrantica.com. He/she explains all the different contrasts and the general feel of HP so well!