April 20, 2014 | 1697 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2011 4:39:00 AM More reviews by byzantium

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was looking for a no-frills, gentle yet effective cleanser, but this one just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't give my oily skin a clean feeling, and it's almost useless if I'm wearing makeup. I love how silky it feels on the skin, but it doesn't seem to dissolve dirt or oil unless it's used with a Buf-Puf or something similar.

This might be a great cleanser for people with dry skin who don't wear makeup, and I could see it working as a morning cleanser for some oiler skin types.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/17/2011 12:51:00 AM More reviews by stephaniejadexo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I dont recommend this product if you have oily skin. After using it my skin didnt feel clean at all. Its so gentle that it feels like its not doing anything - It sort of just felt like i was washing my face with moisturiser. I might be good for people with sensitive/dry skin but it didnt work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by lillevenn11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my HG cleanser. I have very combination, acne prone skin. This stuff balances my dryness and oilyness and thus prevents acne. It leaves my face soft and smooth and ready for anything, though I follow it with Olay moisturizer because my skin is so dry. I use it after I exfoliate, and even used it with sugar as the best exfoliator ever until I got ants in my bathroom. I use it every morning and night, though I am hesitant to use it before removing makeup with an Aveeno makeup remover.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 2:15:00 PM More reviews by SeedyBiotch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Having extremely dry skin and dermatitis, especially in the winter has led me to try this cleanser. Let me also preface that I use quite a lot of makeup on a daily basis. This cleanser does a great job at not irritating my skin, it actually feels like it could be good for it. But, like others, it doesn't exactly take off all your makeup, or give you a very "clean feeling". So while I enjoy this cleanser, I interchange it with a stronger makeup removing cleanser (when my skin can handle it) or I simply use eye makeup remover beforehand. I don't have acne, but I'd imagine if you did this one would not be a good idea, seeing as it feels like it leaves a lotion-y film on your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 2:04:00 AM More reviews by cwdouty

I've been using this for about a year and am very pleased. I've used others by Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown, Murad, Dove soap, to name a few, and this has been the best. It takes off all my makeup (I don't use waterproof mascara) with a little gentle massaging and thorough rinsing, and leaves my face soft and smooth, never tight. My skin is dry in winter but tends toward oily, even at 52, in the warm weather, but this has worked well year round. My local Target and CVS no longer carry it. Oddly, I found it at Nordstrom Rack and buy three or four bottles at a time. It's dirt cheap, like 6 or 7 dollars, so it's nice to find a good product at a good price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 2:20:00 PM More reviews by goopycakes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The best of all the drugstore cleansers. I've tried the "gentle" formulas, such as Cetaphil and Purpose, but those brands have nothing on this gem. It is free of detergent and my face feels balanced after using it not tight or anything. I love the creamy texture. I have oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin and I have not experienced any breakouts and my face is not as oily either. Definitely recommend for all skin types! Also if you do have acne prone skin stop using those acne medicated cleansers they do nothing except make your face dry and tight.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 10:45:00 PM More reviews by daram7857

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Amazing moisturizing cream cleanser for dry, sensitive skin. It hydrates your skin and cleanses nicely. The one thing I don't really like about is that it does not say it's oil-free! But definitely recommend it to dry skins

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin tends to get dried out with most cleansers so I thought this one may work better for me. However, this cleanser just doesn't clean my skin! after continued use I had more blocked pores and roughness than I have had in years. It is really difficult to remove makeup with this. So far the best way I found was to rub it into my dry face, then wipe with a damp warm washcloth, then rinse with warm water and use the cleanser to wash again, a couple of times. even then though, all my makeup is never gone. I'd say this cleanser is good for someone with super dry sensitive skin who doesn't wear much makeup - for those of us with combination skin who wear a full-face daily (I wear sunscreen, Revlon Colorstay foundation, blush eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara etc), it's not for us. On the up side, it never dried my face out :).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2010 10:35:00 AM More reviews by marileab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I usually have normal to slightly oily skin, but this fall and winter my skin has been slightly dry and fairly sensitive. I switched to this cleanser from Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Face wash, which was too harsh for my now-dry skin. The Extra Gentle Cleanser is perfect for me. My skin doesn't feel dry or tight after I wash it, just clean. This cleanser also doesn't irritate my facial skin like the Fresh Foaming Face wash was beginning to do. Overall, I'm happy with this cleanser right now, but I can see switching back to the Fresh Foaming Face wash if my skin changes again in the spring/summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by 1stone

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I purchase this product over and over. Cetaphil is gentle enough but I don't feel that it cleans my skin well enough. Chamomile cleanser by Villa Floriani cleans my skin well and is ALMOST as gentle, but not quite, it is also costly! The Neutrogena fragrance free that my daughter (with younger, more oily skin) really likes is not gentle enough for me . . . I always come back to Neutrogena Extra Gentle. My skin feels clean and I never have any irritation whatsoever, and many cleansers, even gentle ones, do irritate my skin.