October 22, 2014 | 1003 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2011 12:47:00 AM More reviews by filthyhotmess

I've been using this cleanser for about 2 years and i'm a huge fan. It's really gentle and doesn't dry my skin out. I have combo skin so finding something that doesn't leave my skin too oily or too dry is hard but this does the job. I use it every night before bed (i use a gentle scrub in the morning) and don't have to use any moisturiser afterwards which is a plus for me as i don't like going to sleep with too many products on my face. It leaves my skin feeling clean and soft, but not 'squeaky clean'. It does a pretty good job of removing dirt and light makeup however i have to use a makeup wipe if i'm wearing heavier foundation, etc because the cleanser doesn't get it all off. This doesn't bother me but i guess it could be annoying for someone wanting a multi-tasking product. I pay around $13AUD for it and the pump bottle is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 1:54:00 PM More reviews by EozS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I credit this product with clearing up my skin and perfecting my skin care routine. I don't have a lot of acne at any given time but I always used to have at least one breakout on my chin or lower cheek area, and they would often be bad ones (that would take days to heal - doesn't help that I'm a picked).

I used to use a lot of salicylic acid products to try to keep my breakouts down and it would work better than using nothing but it's SO much better now. I use the neutrogena cleanser twice a day and moisturize with avocado oil. Every 2-3 days I use a 5% BP cleanser and once in a blue moon I use something exfoliating.

Anyway, I highly recommend this product!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2011 7:18:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually love neutrogena but will absolutely NOT buy this product again. When I first tried it, I noticed that it had the consistency of a lotion against my skin. I ignored it because my face felt great. Within two days, I noticed red blotchiness and tiny burning pimples all over my face. I thought "Ok, maybe my skin's trying to adjust". Then the big breakout on my forehead and cheeks! In short, this cleanser irritated my sensitive skin. My face has cleared up since using I've stopped using the product. The only saving grace was that the store that I bought it from graciously offered a refund.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2011 12:33:00 AM More reviews by rebonjour

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Me: Sensitive, acne-prone skin that's dry around the nose and cheeks and oilier on the forehead and chin

What you get: A makeup remover, maybe? I dunno, this burnt my eyes and left an irritating internally saturated and greasy feeling to my skin - almost like someone had poured wax into my pores. I broke out and felt as though my face was burning after a single use. Not a pleasant experience. Dirt cheap (I got it as a bonus product in a sample pack), so this is maybe an option for people with seriously hardy skin who just need something quick for their skin.

What you don't get: An "extra gentle cleanser". My face disliked this product from the get-go and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has difficulties finding skincare products. The makeup removal power of the cleanser is mediocre and it burns if it makes contact with your eyes.

Recommended for: People with the textbook definition of normal skin who need a cheap face wash.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2011 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Blubird23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

When I got this cleanser, my skin was very raw, itchy and irritated around my eyes, nose and mouth from a reaction to Mario Badescu cleansers. I was looking for something gentle for the morning that would clean my oily t-zone and not break me out. I did a skin care board search and decided to try this. This cleanser worked really well for what I needed, gentle morning cleansing. My skin felt clean and soft, was not red or irritated and I had no break outs. That being said, I only gave it 3 lippies because I can only use it in the morning. I tried it at night once and cleansed twice to remove makeup and by the next morning I was breaking out. The packaging is okay, pump is hygenic but doesn't lock. I would repurchase, but only if my skin becomes irritated again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2011 5:29:00 PM More reviews by angelbuilinh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This product is one of the first neutrogena products I've tried and I like it a lot. This product one pump and it would clean my whole face. It's extra gentle likes it name so for those who wear foundation it will not remove all of it. I like to use it in the morning because it cleans very well but it doesn't strip all of your skin's natural oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2011 4:04:00 AM More reviews by kaylah85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My most favourite cleanser EVER. Seriously... I've tried so many different types since I was a teenager and this is the only one that hasn't broken me out or made my dry skin even more flaky. As the bottle says, it's definitely gentle so it might not remove heavy make-up (I use Johnson's face wipes before cleansing if I'm wearing a lot of make-up so I honestly have no idea) but if I'm wearing lighter coverage it does a pretty good job of removing it with a bit of massaging.

It gets my skin clean but puts back a bit of moisture so I don't need to moisturise unless my skin is particularly dry (usually in winter) which I love because I really don't like putting too many products on my skin. I've never noticed any film or residue. My skin just doesn't have that horrible stripped, tight feeling I always get from foamy cleansers.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2011 4:39:00 AM More reviews by byzantium

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was looking for a no-frills, gentle yet effective cleanser, but this one just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't give my oily skin a clean feeling, and it's almost useless if I'm wearing makeup. I love how silky it feels on the skin, but it doesn't seem to dissolve dirt or oil unless it's used with a Buf-Puf or something similar.

This might be a great cleanser for people with dry skin who don't wear makeup, and I could see it working as a morning cleanser for some oiler skin types.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/17/2011 12:51:00 AM More reviews by stephaniejadexo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I dont recommend this product if you have oily skin. After using it my skin didnt feel clean at all. Its so gentle that it feels like its not doing anything - It sort of just felt like i was washing my face with moisturiser. I might be good for people with sensitive/dry skin but it didnt work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by lillevenn11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my HG cleanser. I have very combination, acne prone skin. This stuff balances my dryness and oilyness and thus prevents acne. It leaves my face soft and smooth and ready for anything, though I follow it with Olay moisturizer because my skin is so dry. I use it after I exfoliate, and even used it with sugar as the best exfoliator ever until I got ants in my bathroom. I use it every morning and night, though I am hesitant to use it before removing makeup with an Aveeno makeup remover.