Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

3.7

Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetyl Ricinoleate(Chamomile (chamomilla recutita) extract), Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol(anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory), Chamomile Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate(vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate(licorice root extract), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben 5/29/09

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product is pretty good :) I'd been breaking out pretty bad after using Differin cream and this calmed my skin like no other cleanser. It feels extremely comforting. But I have extrememly acneic skin and this won't help it stay clear. My face will also be oily by the end of the day if I use this. But since it got my skin clearer after the Differin nightmare, I couldn't rate it any lower. I am a little concerned about the parabens included as well as a few potentially comedogenic ingredients like petrolatum. If you have dry, combination dry or extrememly sensive normal or dry skin, give this a try and maybe you'll get fantastic results! As for me, oil control and breakouts are a huge problem, something this cleanser won't battle. I found for best deep cleansing results, wet your face, 2 pumps of product, spread the product all over your hands and massage gently on your face for about 30 mississippis for maximum cleansing. You have to MAKE SURE to wash ALL of it off your face. But when used the right way with the right skin type, this is one of the best drugstore cleansers out there!

on 2/5/2012 10:58:00 PM

Well I'm on my 3rd bottle of this. Got it because of Paula Begoun pick, and find that it is indeed gentle and has a pleasant natural fragrance and consistency. Also like the pump.
I have dry, sensitive rosacea prone skin and this works well for me. I used to use Vichy Extra Sensitive Cleansing Milk, and find this one does the trick and is cheaper and nicer packaging.

Tip: discovered that it works better if you do wash your face with lukewarm water so that it's wet before you apply the actual cleanser. apply with hands, massage, rinse off and pat dry with towel.

I follow up with Bioderma Sensibio H20 miscellar lotion in the evening to get rid of makeup.

on 1/30/2012 12:48:00 PM

It's an ok product and not to expensive. I was hoping it be like cetaphil but not quite. I find it works better on me with dry skin then I rinse it off.

on 12/25/2011 9:30:00 PM

I thought this thick, lotiony-type of cleanser was just what I needed to efficiently remove makeup while moisturizing my dehydrated-yet-oily skin, however I found that this is far too thick and comedogenic. I broke out soon after trying this, and even trying to use this as a precleanse makeup remover failed miserably. Now this product just lays around the house collecting dust until I figure out what to do with it next...

on 11/11/2011 7:01:00 PM

I had to switch cleansers when dove discontinued their face line two months ago and it seemed to be fine at first but after a few weeks I started breaking out like crazy!! I was break-out free for 5 years while using dove and now I am having the worst breakouts I've had since I was 16!!! Do NOT buy if you have really sensitive dry acne-prone skin!!

on 11/9/2011 12:47:00 AM

I've been using this cleanser for about 2 years and i'm a huge fan. It's really gentle and doesn't dry my skin out. I have combo skin so finding something that doesn't leave my skin too oily or too dry is hard but this does the job. I use it every night before bed (i use a gentle scrub in the morning) and don't have to use any moisturiser afterwards which is a plus for me as i don't like going to sleep with too many products on my face. It leaves my skin feeling clean and soft, but not 'squeaky clean'. It does a pretty good job of removing dirt and light makeup however i have to use a makeup wipe if i'm wearing heavier foundation, etc because the cleanser doesn't get it all off. This doesn't bother me but i guess it could be annoying for someone wanting a multi-tasking product. I pay around $13AUD for it and the pump bottle is great.

on 11/1/2011 1:54:00 PM

I credit this product with clearing up my skin and perfecting my skin care routine. I don't have a lot of acne at any given time but I always used to have at least one breakout on my chin or lower cheek area, and they would often be bad ones (that would take days to heal - doesn't help that I'm a picked).

I used to use a lot of salicylic acid products to try to keep my breakouts down and it would work better than using nothing but it's SO much better now. I use the neutrogena cleanser twice a day and moisturize with avocado oil. Every 2-3 days I use a 5% BP cleanser and once in a blue moon I use something exfoliating.

Anyway, I highly recommend this product!

on 9/19/2011 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I usually love neutrogena but will absolutely NOT buy this product again. When I first tried it, I noticed that it had the consistency of a lotion against my skin. I ignored it because my face felt great. Within two days, I noticed red blotchiness and tiny burning pimples all over my face. I thought "Ok, maybe my skin's trying to adjust". Then the big breakout on my forehead and cheeks! In short, this cleanser irritated my sensitive skin. My face has cleared up since using I've stopped using the product. The only saving grace was that the store that I bought it from graciously offered a refund.

on 8/28/2011 12:33:00 AM

Me: Sensitive, acne-prone skin that's dry around the nose and cheeks and oilier on the forehead and chin

What you get: A makeup remover, maybe? I dunno, this burnt my eyes and left an irritating internally saturated and greasy feeling to my skin - almost like someone had poured wax into my pores. I broke out and felt as though my face was burning after a single use. Not a pleasant experience. Dirt cheap (I got it as a bonus product in a sample pack), so this is maybe an option for people with seriously hardy skin who just need something quick for their skin.

What you don't get: An "extra gentle cleanser". My face disliked this product from the get-go and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has difficulties finding skincare products. The makeup removal power of the cleanser is mediocre and it burns if it makes contact with your eyes.

Recommended for: People with the textbook definition of normal skin who need a cheap face wash.

on 7/14/2011 9:28:00 PM

When I got this cleanser, my skin was very raw, itchy and irritated around my eyes, nose and mouth from a reaction to Mario Badescu cleansers. I was looking for something gentle for the morning that would clean my oily t-zone and not break me out. I did a skin care board search and decided to try this. This cleanser worked really well for what I needed, gentle morning cleansing. My skin felt clean and soft, was not red or irritated and I had no break outs. That being said, I only gave it 3 lippies because I can only use it in the morning. I tried it at night once and cleansed twice to remove makeup and by the next morning I was breaking out. The packaging is okay, pump is hygenic but doesn't lock. I would repurchase, but only if my skin becomes irritated again.