MAC Lustre Capricious

4.3

The color is subtle and pretty. It looks like rosy plum on me, not like the photo above with so much pink in it. Again, typical MAC lipstick, no taste no smell, you don't remember you have something on your lips. I just love that.

Too bad, this formula Lustre is particularly dry. I am not very happy about that. I don't like to put on gloss to make this lipstick work better because I hate too many procedures. I prefer to just put on lipstick and go. So I will avoid Lustre formula at all cost regardless the color is great or not. If it shows lots cracks on your lips, you look unhealthy, doesn't matter what color you wear. If you have to put up with lip gloss every times you use Lustre, it's annoying.

I like Frost formula better because it never makes my lips look dry. Frost is the best formula, you can just put on lipstick and go, no fuss, no need for gloss or balm, and it hides all the cracks on your lips. Satin is ok, not as good as Frost.

Great colour!..i tend to use under various mac glosses..it works great with pinkarat. Will buy again if a run out.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A very good neutral and basic berry/plum/pink for my complexion (NW25, blue eyes, dark brown hair). Capricious is definitely not the most exciting colour out there, and yes, you could probably find this sort of colour in most makeup lines (although I had been looking but could never find THE perfect shade for me until Capricious came along), but it works with most of my makeup looks. And I just love MAC lipsticks.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Wow -- are we all talking about the same lippie? And is that hot pink jobbie up there in the photo *this* lippie? (hums Twilight Zone theme)

I will re-purchase this -- I *have* re-purchased this, twice, as for some reason (possibly because i tote it around everywhere and am horrifically irresponsible and flaky? Nooooo . . . ) I keep losing it. And every time I lose it I think; "You know, I'm not going to bother with that Capricious again. I'm going to buy something more interesting!" Then, inveitably, The Day comes. The Day when I'm chucking lipstick tubes all over my bathroom in search of that perfect sheer plummy-rose. The Day where I want an understated lip, but with a bit more oomph than my beloved Syrup can provide. The Day when I realize I must again slog out to the MAC counter and re-re-(now)-re-purchase Capricious. Typical lustre formula -- smooth, sheer -- though this one, for some reason, doesn't wear as well as my others. Just brings my medium pigmented lips onto another level of intensity without being overly anything -- in fact, i'd say this is a very diplomatic color and I can wear it with just about anything without concern that it clashes or overdoes a look. I like. Obviously. I keep buying it . . .

Generally the MAC line offers well-pigmented cosmetics, affordably priced. I can get from pink to rose to berry w/Capricious, depending on how much is applied. Not much staying power, but the stain it leaves behind after wearing off is a nice extra.

To me Capricious is a deep dusty rose shade with just a touch of berry and I can see this working with a lot of different complexions. But, as HauntedMoonlight said, a lot of other brands (even the cheapest ones around) carry very similar shades to this one. So yes, it's nice for everyday wear, but nothing too original either, so I don't think I'll buy this again.

Capricious is a plum/berry lipstick. The color is pretty, but it's not very unique. Other brands probably have something similiar, but with better staying power. I'm not a big fan of the lustre formula (I prefer mattes and satins). This lipstick is too sheer and doesn't last very long. I have to reapply it several times a day. I've had this lipstick for about five months and even though I don't use it very often, (only 1-2 times a week) it's already almost finished. Capricious is my first lustre lipstick and I won't buy anymore of them.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Fortunately, I didn't purchase this lipstick. I got it free through MAC's recyling program. I am very cool toned and this lipstick looks awful on me. It looked like a pretty pink-plum on my hand, but on my lips it's a pinky-violet-bordering-on-fuschia shade. I'm disappointed because I had high hopes for this lipstick from the MUA reviews. :(

This is one of the three or four lipsticks I wear most. When I first got it I thought it was nice but wasn't overwhelmed: it's a plummy, berry color with a bit of red it it. But I'm cool toned (NW20) who wears a lot of purple and blue clothes, and I've found that this is the lipstick that will effortlessly match with cool-toned clothing. I still don't know that I love it--certainly not as much as Sophisto--but I do find myself reaching for it constantly. Plus, I love the Mac Lustre formula. So, Capricious has earned itself five stars after all.

I absolutely love this color! I was looking for an everyday color that could also be used for a night out. This color does just that! It's a pretty berry color that brightens my face. I think it can be used in any season though I have not used it in the summer yet so that is yet to be seen. I love the lustre formula and am hoping to find another color that I like as much as this one to switch off with. This has definitely become a staple even though I have so many other colors!

Recommended for Medium Skin