September 2, 2014 | 1948 users online

Lotions/ Creams - AmLactin 12%

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 3:33:00 PM More reviews by LadyValea

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Purchased at Costco!! its a clinically proven formula using Alpha Hydroxy Therapy!! Great for feet, elbow, arms and legs!!
No more bumpy bumps on your arms!!
Just make sure you have no tiny cuts on your legs or hands, it will sting!! But this stuff works!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2010 1:06:00 AM More reviews by Banjos

Got a 17.6 oz. pump bottle of this at Costco for a very good price. I had used the cream (tube) version of this years ago on my feet but it was just too oily for body or hand use. The lotion is very thin but this allows one to use a small amount and spread it easily over a large area. True, it does smell bad due to the lactic acid content being neutralized with ammonium hydroxide. This ammonia odor does dissipate pretty rapidly but is very unpleasant at first. The lotion is somewhat greasy but AmLactin really does the job of softening even dead-skin or calused areas. I am eager to see if it will lighten some age-spots on the back of my hand...as a MUA poster has described. I will update regarding this in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 12:41:00 AM More reviews by reekbert

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this for about a month now and I am in love. I use it every other day on my entire body and my skin is deliciously soft. I have brown skin and I've noticed that this lotion makes my skin tone look more even. Sooo moisturizing. It takes a bit of time to absorb after you put it on, but so worth it. I like this better than Aqua Glycolic's lotion -- I think the consistency makes it much easier to put on. Love!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2010 2:53:00 PM More reviews by themeanreds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a giant bottle of this at Costco intending to use it on my feet. It's good for that purpose but I also decided to use a tiny dab each day directly on a few sun spots I have on my face. The active ingredient is lactic acid and lactic acid in the form of buttermilk is an old school treatment for freckles and sunspots. I've only been using it for three weeks and the spots are nearly gone! I've used retinols since my mid-twenties; they are supposed to even skin tone but never really worked for that purpose (I think they work better for fine lines). This was fast and much more effective!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

this is one hell of a multi-tasking product! i initially bought this because ever since Paula's Choice stopped making their Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA, i've been floundering for something to use on the little bit of bumpiness (KP) on the backs of my arms. a long time ago i read on Paula's website that the only real way to treat KP was to use something with BHA/salicylic acid in it because it's the only acid that can actually absorb into a blocked pore and push the blockage out from the inside. for that reason, i never thought of trying anything with AHA's in it, because i thought they would only work on the outer layer of skin and not do anything for what was beneath the surface. out of desperation and after reading all the rave reviews i decided to take a chance and try this and I LOVE IT!!! it works very well on my KP, which is to say that it reduces the uneven texture of the skin by a good 75% (never found anything that completely clears it yet and probably never will). it leaves my skin smoother, softer, and lessens the KP bumps, leaving the ones that do crop up easier to get rid of with manual exfoliation. a lot of people use this on their face and say that it helps even skin tone and soothe redness and i desperately wanted to try that but was terrified to risk it because any time i've ever used any AHA's on my face i've been left with horrible red, rashy, itchy hives that last for a week or more. i decided to do a patch test and applied a small spot on my face for a few days with no reaction so i went for it and now i use it every single night! it has SIGNIFICANTLY lessened the redness i have on my cheeks and also helps to keep my skin smooth, but i must warn anyone with sensitive skin to start out slowly and use only the tiniest, tiniest bit of the lotion when applying to your face (and to use something else around the delicate skin surrounding your eyes). near the beginning of my usage i got a little too generous with my application and i did wake up to itchy, red skin. after i let it heal, i started back up on the Amlactin but made sure to only use a tiny amount (i'm talking half a pea-sized dot for my whole face) and have had no problems since. this is such a useful product for me because i can use it on my arms, face, feet and even legs when i want some gentle exfolation. you get a huge amount (7.9 oz.) for around $11 and the packaging is simple and effective, with the only room for improvement being the addition of a pump. the only con i really see with Amlactin is the fact that when first applied it leaves my skin kind of sticky and tacky, and my face shiny. this isn't really a problem for me because i use it at night and when i wake up in the morning, it has all absorbed and my skin is smooth and soft, but this definitely isn't something you could use on your face under makeup. i did consider taking away one lippie for the sticky feeling but i just don't feel it would be fair because the product is so great and only has this one fault. if you have reactive skin and have never been able to reap the benefits of using AHA's i would strongly recommend trying Amlactin and seeing if it could work for you (USED SPARINGLY!) like it has worked for me. this is definitely a product i'll always keep around.
*UPDATE* stopped using this for a few days, not for any particular reason, but just because i was feeling lazy and minimalist. very quickly i noticed that my skin was looking redder and more blotchy than usual... and the only thing that had changed was my skipping the nightly Amlactin. now i am 100% convinced that this noticeably helps the redness i have on my cheeks, and this is the only product i can confidently say that about. won't be forgetting to use this again!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by naomi9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I went to my dermatologist for a hyperpigmentation problem on my leg. While she was inspecting me, she noticed that my skin was really scaly. I have always known that my legs have been scaly (upon close inspection) but just let it go because no lotion ever really helped. She suggested this. I have been using it for a month now and it has helped dramatically! The scales are gone. I have been using it all over my body and I swear, the tiny stretch marks I had on my hips are almost invisible. It's expensive, but so worth it. Love.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by malco

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I am one of those girls always asking the skin borad what to do about my flaky skin on my face. It would be miserable sometimes putting on my foundation, I'd have to spend a lot of time getting rid of the flakes afterwards. Not no more, thanks to ALactin. It has reduced that problem 100%. Yes, I use it on my face, it does not clog my skin + in fact it has cleared out all my clogged pores. It is my HG for my face and I will always have it on hand forever.

Update: I've been using Olay resurfacing elixer with the best results to get rid of my flakes. Amlactin stinks and feels like glue on my face. I tossed it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2010 10:55:00 PM More reviews by 272727

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the way it makes my skin feel. I will buy again and again.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by gottalight

I had high hopes for this, but within a couple of days I got an incredible burning rash everywhere I used it. Yikes!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Lizard31

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

AmLactin 12% alpha-hydroxy lotion is my unglamorous secret weapon for hands, elbows, heels, upper arms, knees and any other rough spots.

I began using it a year or so ago on my hands every night, hoping to keep my dry hands and cuticles under control. I have had mild scarring on the back of my left hand since I was a baby and I am amazed at how well AmLactin has smoothed out my skin and diminished the scarring. This has happened over time (like a year) so don't expect overnight results.

It also works very well on KP on upper arms and helps keep my heels smooth between visits from Mr. Pumice.

I buy AmLactin at my local CVS where it can be found on the bottom shelf in the lotion aisle (along with the other unglamorous products). It's pricy at $15 or $16 US for 7.9 oz, however you can download a $2 coupon at amlactin.com and if you can combine it with CVS ExtraBucks, you can save.

AmLactin doesn't smell great - actually, it smells like something you might need a prescription for - and the bottle is a plain flip-top plastic one but to me, the product inside is what really matters and I will keep re-purchasing.

AmLactin may be a little tough on sensitive skins, so remember that your mileage may vary. ; )

I should also add that I only use AmLactin at night. I find it a little tacky feeling on my hands for during the day.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No