July 30, 2014 | 1254 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Poison

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2009 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Buttercup86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I too have had a sentimental relationship with Poison. My Dad's girlfriend used to wear this perfume ALL the time, and I loved her dearly and it broke my heart when she and my dad split. So I was left with the memory of Poison. When I first smelled it, I absolutely hated it, you definitely have to give it a moment and let the dry down take effect before you can truly appreciate it. This smell is definitely not for the faint of heart, but for someone who is confident and likes to have the scent she is wearing known. Definitely a classic and definitely nostalgic.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2009 1:13:00 AM More reviews by CombatWombat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

BF summed it up perfectly: smells like pickles.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2009 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Khiandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I always have to have this perfume within my grasp. It just brings back soooo many memories. I used to wear this when i was like 14-15ish. I remember how much i loved it.. i used to get so pissed when my friends used to spray it without my permission. I would be like ::sniff sniff:: THEIF!! LOL I rarely use it anymore..only on occasion but i like having a small bottle around for the sheer scentimental value =) It smells like ..basically a stew of grape juice that has been slightly fermented with honey and spices thrown in. I know there are other things mixed in but grapes are definatley at the for front.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 3:16:00 PM More reviews by Gretchen76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

A few years ago when I was shopping for my 30th birthday present I stumbled upon the Dior counter at Macy's. I wanted to test drive Poison for myself as I was young in the 80's and had no concept of perfume aside from my mom wearing her beloved Chanel No 5 and Liz Claiborne. The pushy SA came along and when I told her I was interested in trying Poison, she pursed her lips like she'd just swallowed a lemon, stating "That's really for...older women." Just throw down the gauntlet, why don't you! Well, I didn't try it that day in front of that snob, but I did eventually hunt it down and am so glad I did. Berries drizzled in honeyed wine and spices...exotic, sexy, ageless. I let my nose judge a perfume, not people with pre-conceived notions about age and commissions to earn. I prefer the Espirit de Parfum as it seems a little smoother and richer than the Edt. Everyone should try it at least once in their life (but just a drop will do!)

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2009 5:40:00 AM More reviews by happymom2006

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Got this as a gift, wore it when I was in my 20's, loved it absolutely! BUT now, ergggh, don't like it anymore. I can't stand the scent, gives me headache. Don't get me wrong, I got compliments when I wore it and I used to love it a lot...Let's just say, my preferences have changed over the years.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2009 10:13:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate to be yet another reviewer who brings the ratings down for such an iconic scent, but count me as among the majority of women here who detest this perfume. Seriously, I can’t stand this stuff. My mom used to wear Poison back in the late 80s to early 90s & I recalled how stately the gorgeous, deep purple 30ml EDT bottle looked on her vanity. Yet, strangely, I have absolutely no recollection of the perfume’s scent itself… somehow, it was never burned into my olfactory memory (probably because I was only about 10 to 12 years old then & hadn’t yet developed a keen sense of smell when it came to perfumery). Anyways, fast forward 20 years later, I decided to revisit Poison last week after being intrigued by all the love/hate reviews on MUA. I was itching to find out whether, like my mom & the lucky ladies on this board, I too can finally claim this classic as my own. Well, let's just say I won't be adding this to my ever-growing perfume collection... EVER. Poison, unfortunately, turns out to be just that on my skin: POISON. One spray on my wrist & I just about died… it is absolutely one of the most stomach-turning perfumes I’ve ever smelled in my life. Don’t get me wrong… I love honey, berries, florals & spices in my perfumes; however, in the case of Poison, the mixture of all these notes together just ends up becoming WAAAY too much for the senses. Although it does become softer & more tolerable towards the end, the first few hours are pure torture: cloying, headache-inducing, agonizingly LOUD. It really does smell dated -- a flashy, over-the-top perfume typical of the Decade of Excess as others have pointed out. And like big hair, shoulder pads, leg warmers & tacky plastic jewelry, Poison too should’ve just stayed in the 1980s where it belongs. Still, it deserves a solid 3 lippies: for the superior staying power (Dior’s EDTs, next to Guerlain’s, are unparalleled in this respect, IMO), the classy bottle, & for being a groundbreaking scent of its time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 4:42:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

Poison and I are intertwined whether I like it or not . For a long time ,I liked it NOT because it was the ubiquitous scent that trailed me everywhere and haunted every beauty hall in the eighties . The smell drove me nuts and not in a good way. For years, I would see that purple bottle ,cringe and wrinkle my nose - 'that smell and those darned clothes I used to wear ! "
Well, a couple of weeks ago , I felt a craving coming along for Poison - and my heart sank. When one of my cravings come along, then I have to follow my nose.
Having tentatively and cautiously fist smelt the nozzle, then sprayed a little....now, I am in love with it ! It's taken me over 20 years to appreciate Poison.
Someone wrote on the internet ,that the fragrance reminds them of wine and I agree. It's baroque, rich ,glorious and decandent. Now that the 1980s is far away and not everyone wears this scent, I can finally approach it with love and embrace it. Finally I understand Poison !

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 2:23:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

i hate it. i hated it when it first came out, when iw as a teen and many of my friends had to have this. it was very expensive for a kid to buy and yet if you had given it to me free i would not have taken it. i still hate it now. i can identify it a mile away and always felt it just overwhelmed and choked me. i respect those who love it. we all have different tastes. this is just not for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 12:14:00 AM More reviews by ex0ticbarbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I can't stand this perfume. I have never owned it but my mother is obsessed with it. It has a VERY strong smell. I am usually not bothered by smells nor do perfumes make me feel nauseous but this perfume is just too strong for me to handle. It lasts very long time though and if you apply it in the morning you can still smell it at night. I'm not a fan of the green or dark Poison bottles but I am IN LOVE with the white Poison as well as the red one (their scents are *very* different from the green and dark Poison that I am reviewing right now). If you must wear this perfume or if you really do like it, PLEASE spray lightly and only use two sprays - otherwise you will most likely make everyone around you feel nauseous!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2009 11:51:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

This scent whther put on lightly or heavily smells horrible. I tried a Sephora sample and people on the train were openly nauseated by its scent. It smells like Dior Addicts ugly sister. I will never wear a sample of it again. Goes on horribly strong and dries down to an everlasting all day horrible smell that sends people around you away from you.