Chanel Gardenia

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

EDIT 2013:
i've decided that i love this perfume. it doesn't last on me like it should, and it's not gardenia, but it's beautifully composed. if i were going to give this lippies for scent alone, i'd give it a 4.

it's creamy. it's tuberose and jasmine with hints of vetiver and creamy vanilla and a bit of smoke.

I absolutely love gardenias. There's no gardenia here, folks. There's just, IMO, a fancy label. This is one of the few perfumes that nauseates me. I smell jasmine, patchouli, and rotten orange creamsicle. Yves Rocher has a beautiful true gardenia scent for about $10 ~ Pur Desir de Gardenia. Get that for a true-to-the-flower scent. Get Trish # 4 for a gardenia with a little musk and vanilla/tonka. Don't get this if you want gardenia. However, I guess if you like jasmine with patchouli, this is perfect.

Oh, my! what a great scent. so soft, so feminine. I got a sample and loved it right away. Soft jasmine with a hint of green and a creamy base. so pretty, so perfect for hot days. It is a very simple scent but sometimes those are the hardest to keep from smelling off or cheap. When DH got home, he confirmed how, ahem, attractive this scent is. The only reasons I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 is i only got 3-4 hours out of it and for that price, I think it should wear a little longer. Also, I wish some of the other notes stuck around after drydown. But I wish Chanel would make it part of the regular line. I would buy it, despite the lasting time and the price.

A few years ago I couldn't have grasped the idea of a "cult fragrance" seeing as I thought of perfume as something more of a hygenic accessory, not a fashion statement as I see it now. Today I understand perfectly thanks to Gardenia, which is high up there on the list of sought after cult fragrances. It's one of the more unique florals I've ever smelled. I'm picky about florals because a lot of them tend to fall into the same category for me....sweet or musky. This stands in that rare little category of creamy vanilla florals and really smells like nothing else. This is good for the daytime during any season, if not too humid. It's not sharp, but it isn't so baby soft that it's 'girly'. On the contrary! It's very grown up. Vanilla is dominant, but the presence of Chanels signature white florals (Jasmine being the strongest) makes it familiar. The packaging is of course simple and art deco. It's a crying shame I can only find the Eua de Tolette right now.

It's funny that I actually tried this because 1) I don't particularly like Gardenia (I won't get into why that is) and 2) I don't particularly like Chanel fragrances. I was told this doesn't actually smell like Gardenia (hmm, what a misleading name) so I decided to check it out. Well it definitely has a white floral accord, but I don't get an overwhelming gardenia note. And while it is beautiful and pleasant smelling, there are other white florals I'd wear before this one.

I finally decided to try this to see if it lived to it's hype, expecially since I'm big Gardenia fan. Unfortunatly I was extremely disappointed. I Think it smelled pretty good for about a minute then all of a sudden I started having flash backs to those cheap floral plug in air freshners my mom used to put in the bathroom. Yuk!!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

So all revved up for this one thanks to Perfumegirl's helpful advice I went to the Chanel counter and cheerfully asked the sales girl if I could smell this fragarnce. She tilted her head to the side and smiles (you southern girls know this pose) and said "Awww I am sorry this was a LD last summer...this summer it is Le Fleur...would ya like to smell that?" I could feel the vein pulsing in my head as my chilren were engaging in a chorus of "no I didn't..yes you did". Squelching the urge to reach across the counter and pull her over by her perfectly ironed shirt I said" Do you happen to still have the tester?". "Oh SURE" she says....(now I really wanna beat her senseless or yank out her nose stud...)and hands me a 1/2 empty tester. Ohhhhh maaaaannnn....breathe deep..this stuff is heaven. Not exactly the gardenia smell I am still seeking but the soft floral blew me away. Soft fluffy clouds yall....... I guess I will be getting this one on line. She gave me a sample of Coco Mademoiselle(sp) bc she started feeling sorry for my after watching my kids hit each other with thier Build-A-Bear toys...me likie..see that review.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

One of my fave gardenia perfumes. Only reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is due to the fact that it doesn't have any lasting power whatsoever, what a shame! Such a pretty scent.

I love gardenias but sadly this fragrance just didnt work for me. I do detect some gardenias in the fragrance but it smelled too synthetic for me. Also the fragrance was gone after an hour so lasting power is not there which I'm thankful for. What a pity.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This fragrance smells really nice. However, it won't last long and the packaging of the bottle is very plain. It's okay for me if this product is expensive and the quality is good. However, this product is very expensive and the quality is not good. I definitely won't buy this product anymore.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this, I love gardenias!! After reading so many good reviews on here, I thought I would like it to. I didn't. Maybe it just didn't work well with my body chemistry. It smelled too much like candy mixed with flowers on me. I guess I'll just stick to the real flower. :P

Popular Fragrances