August 1, 2014 | 1765 users online

Cleansers - Jergens - All-Purpose Face Cream

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2011 5:08:00 PM More reviews by happynappy1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I spent my 20s and 30s completely stripping my acne-prone skin before I learned (in my 40s) that gentle is best.

This cream is a staple in my bathroom. I love everything about it (except maybe that it's a bit unsanitary with its packaging). The smell is totally old-school but feels indulgent. It takes off all my makeup and leaves my skin glowing and slightly moisturized ... and it's cheap!!!! I think the recession forced a lot of folks to rethink shelling out 401K-style dollars on skin care. So glad I discovered this little gem.

For reference: DDD, NW50ish, combo, acne-prone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 10:30:00 AM More reviews by laylaperdomo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very dry skin and this is sent from God to me. I have always had problems with eye m/u remover irritating my eyes until I found this. It is super creamy and very good at removing m/u even waterproof mascara which I hardly use to wear prior to this due to how difficult it was to take off. When I'm rushing I wear a tad bit of this under my foundation to make into a tinted moisturizer. I wear this at night as a night cream sometimes too. This cream is amazing and feels so good. I will buy this again and recommend it to any skin type.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2011 10:35:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am a lover of vintage/retro beauty, and have used cold cream as a cleanser and makeup remover for years. Tired of paying $8 for a smaller tub of Pond's, I bought this at Wal-Mart for around $3. The packaging has a very 1970s feel to it. The cream itself is highly scented and pink. It works amazing for removing makeup, even stubborn eye makeup. I apply a layer to my face, tissue off, then apply a second layer and let it sit for a minute, and tissue off. Then I finish with toner, and my face is left totally clean and refreshed. I don't use it for anything other than makeup removal, but I have had zero issues with breakouts and my skin looks and feels great. For the price, this can't be beat.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2011 9:50:00 AM More reviews by dollxdaisy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this stuff. I purchased it at walmart for around 3 bucks, and that's a very low price considering how much product you get. I enjoy looking the packaging style , but hate the actual packaging itself. Its a twist of top and you have to dig your fingers in it; so I always make sure I have squiky clean hands before dealing with it. To me, it smells like baby lotion. The product itself is pink:D! It is VERY greasy and takes like an hour to seep into your skin completely. So, for that reason, I use it as a night cream. I slather some all over my face and neck. It hydrates my skin so wonderfully and when I wake up the only "greasy" area is on the sides of my nose. I also use this during the day, but I don't use as much as I do at night, and when I'm about to start my makeup (15 min. or so after applying) I use a baby washcloth (gentle washcloth!) to clear it from the surface of my face. I still feel a little moiusture even after that. I have oily skin, so I can't use this as a daily moisturizer and not wipe off. Using this product day and night for a month now, I have not gotten any crazy breakouts except for the usual once a month blemishes. The one thing I really dislike about the lotion is that it clogs my pores a little, but I started to exfoliate about 3 times a week so that problem is pretty much gone. My skin has become so much softer and smooth! No wonder my grandma and grandpa had such nice skin ;) ! I remember them using this stuff too. Ohh! And the make-up removing part! This stuff takes of pretty much anything, including waterproof mascara.
*update*
i think this did clog my pores, so i stopped using it as a night cream (i use sesame oil now). this stuff still works amazingly well to Remove foundation, lipstick, mascara.. pretty much every trace of make-up on your face. when i do this, i wash my face after, so as a make-up remover i doubt this will clog your pores. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2011 8:05:00 PM More reviews by Hhall2079

My Mother has this. And she enjoys it, but since they test on animals I be searing her clear of this tub. Besides she likes Avon's Nurtura better and they don't test on animals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2011 7:05:00 PM More reviews by HIYELLOW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for two years and just purchased a fresh tub. I am a GGG with smooth, light brown skin and I believe in "washing" with soap less and cleansing more to retain moisture. This product is perfect for that but I mainly use it for makeup removal which it does beautifully. It is a thick, pink cream that dissolves blush, waterproof mascara, and eyeshadow with ease.

First 3 Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Water, Beeswax. I have never experienced any clogging or breakouts and this product truly makes the skin look "dewey" and glowing. I usually leave it on overnite after having wiped off the makeup I will add another layer. If I feel greasy I will remove with witch hazel or Sea Breeze, or just warm water. The jar costs $3.90 at Wal Mart and stays fresh for about 7 months. If you look at the more expensive products they contain generally the same ingredients. I prefer coconut oil and castor oil for moisturizers but this is a HG makeup remover.

EDIT: I am not going to repurchase this because I feel as if the ingredients are just not quality. I haven't had a bad experience but I prefer coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil and hemp seed oil on my face.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 12:10:00 AM More reviews by harpiequeen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the best for removing makeup. It takes off eye makeup completely! It moisturizes, but doesn't break me out, and a HUGE jar only costs three dollars.

It does take a little getting used to at first, becuse it's so thick and a touch greasy. Just don't use too much and it's awesome! It's made my skin look wonderful!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2011 10:47:00 PM More reviews by Carmyn515

I've been using this product for three days and I already see a nice improvement. My skin is deeply moisturized and I noticed how its very gentle on my sensitive eyes. I've been into retro products lately. I find them fascinating and I've noticed they seem to be work better than more modern products. I can't believe how cheap this product is and how well it.delivers. It feels nice to have my skin deeply moisturized. It feels silky soft. I'm 46 years old and find that this product is so gentle on my delicate skin. I hope to be a beautiful older woman, and believe that Jergens all purpose cold cream will help get me there! I believe that all women are beautiful and we should focus more on making our skin beautiful with minimal makeup, so as to shine through our makeup and not be covered by it. Ladies, wear less eyeshadow and mascara and watch your own lashes grow in long and beautiful. Wear only eyeliner, concealer, blush, powder and lipstick.( I don't believe in wearing eyeshadow or mascara everyday !) Allow your natural loveliness to radiate through your beautiful skin and smile. P.S. I read some reviews and noticed that some people tend to have their skin irritated and break out after using this product. I think its because you are trying to rub the product off with water. PLEASE USE A WARM WASHCLOTH OR BOUNTY PAPER TOWEL THAT HAS BEEN WARMED WITH WATER. Then gently pass the cloths over your face as to gently remove the product. Too much rubbing will cause irritations and break out.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2011 5:29:00 PM More reviews by kimmylou70

This has really improved my skin. I have winter dryness on my cheeks and my makeup would cake and flake there. I apply this before makeup and skin looks great. I also use to remove my makeup and it's really quick and easy. Works just as well as more expensive brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2010 12:48:00 PM More reviews by tousledelegance

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Cold cream really appeals to me as a fan of vintage beauty. I think there's some misunderstanding in modern society as to how it is/was typically used. My mother, who was a teen in the 1950's, recommended this method to me: Slather entire face, leave on 30 minutes, remove with a warm, damp washcloth. Ideally, there's no need to use another cleanser or moisturizer afterwards. We all have those times when our skin is oiler than others though and if you find that is an issue, I suggest removing your cold cream with Witch Hazel instead. One thing is for certain, cold cream is an absolute skin savior in Winter.

I too was initially apprehensive about putting a product containing oil on my face, but I researched a bit and found often some oils (i.e. olive and mineral) have been found to actually be good for clearing acne prone skin. That coupled with the idea that cold cream has fewer chemicals than the cleansers and moisturizers I would normally put on my face, I gave it a go and am so glad I did!

My skin looks a lot less red (though I was already using products for sensitive skin before this). It doesn't burn my eyes; it leaves my skin clean, silky smooth and the product last a long time. Honestly, this is the first moisturizer that doesn't cause my powder mineral foundation to look cakey; I used to have to forgo that step in my makeup routine and save it for nightime only. I use this cold cream to soften my feet as well; they absorb it very quickly.

I only hesitate to give it another star because I don't like to dip my fingers into products to apply them. (Namely because it can be hard on my acrylic nails over time.)

Thinking back to my Theatre days, I recall Jergens is what I used to remove pancake makeup and greasepaint. Some friends suggested Noxzema(sp) to me when I began shopping for cold creams again recently, but I had tried it before and didn't care for the cool, dried out feeling it gave my skin. While a lot of women seem to prefer Ponds cold cream most of all, I like Jergens best. The ingredients are virtually identical, however I suspect I was sensitive to the fragrance in Ponds, because Ponds caused a few blemishes and had more of a scent, whereas Jergens has not caused any break-outs thus far and it doesn't smell as perfumey as Ponds.
I usually purchase this at Walmart for $3.87, which is roughly a dollar cheaper than Ponds and it is a larger tub with cute retro ladies on it :)

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No