April 17, 2014 | 1558 users online

Moisturizers - Alpha Hydrox - Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by ef604

Sale alert : $4.99 on www.neotericcosmetics.com.

I totally stocked up! This is HG.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by bbarry75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

woke up with smoth soft skin. I can only use it at night because it is a bit oily on my oliy skin. Hasn't made my ance prone skin break out and only cost $14 at walgreens.

Update: This is a good place to start before moving on to higher % AHA's

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by kristalblair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Horrible product, even though I do like most glycolic acid products, this was not one of them. I should have taken a closer look at the ingredients, but didn't do so until after I put this lotion on my face and it started to BURN like fire. It wasn't because I wasn't used to glycolic acid because I was, and have used products with the same amount of glycolic acid as this. I rinsed this off fast, and took a look at the ingredient list and saw that this contained Ammonium Hydroxide (yuck! ammonia!), and when I brought this back to Ulta they kindly allowed me to exchange it for something else and they told me that Ammonium Hydroxide is used to neutralize the lotion. Well, I looked up this ingredient and most people seem to have little or no reaction to this, but there are some people who do have an adverse reaction to ammonium hydroxide in cosmetics. I think the reason it is cheaper is because they use cheaper ingredients in conjunction with the glycolic acid. I most definitely don't recommend this to people, as there are FAR FAR better glycolic acid products out there such as Reviva and Peter Thomas Roth!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by marissamusic12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS STUFF. I have hormonal acne that I haven't been able to control that well and I get about three cysts around "that time" that leave behind red marks. Using this stuff twice a day every day has helped to fade those marks in about two-three weeks. Mind you, I mix this in with a separate moisturizer as I don't find it to be very moisturizing on its own. I would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to brighten up their complexion.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by kitkatana182

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was expecting a moisturizing lotion but this ended up making my skin sting after putting it on. I guess its my fault as I should have researched this product a little more before assuming that it was actually a lotion. My skin felt tight and dry after using it and I ended up returning it within a week of purchase. I also broke out in tiny pimples and then three cystic pimples which did not make me happy. I always read great reviews for these products but I guess they may just not be for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2011 8:36:00 PM More reviews by christa365

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I went all over town looking for this stuff before finally finding it at Ulta. I have to say, it is pretty great. I was worried that it would dry out my skin or burn, and surprisingly, it does neither. It didn't force me to add lotion to my regimen (which is great because I still haven't found a lotion that doesn't break me out). I put it on at night, and in the morning, my skin looks much smoother and clearer and fresher. Good stuff. I'm 31, and this makes me look about 3 years younger. The wrinkles on my forehead are even diminished.

I haven't found it to be the miracle cure all for acne that other's claim. It smooths the texture and seems to get rid of the little bumps, but it does nothing for the blackheads and I think it even gives me 10% more zits. It has silicone in it, which seems a little nefarious. That said, my skin looks brighter and younger when I use this, so I'm not complaining.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by ShailahJade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a good AHA product. When I put it on at night, my skin looks so smooth the next morning! I docked a lippie because it makes my skin burn just a little after application.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

I have to say that after faithfully using AH products for nearly ten years now, I was eager to try this lotion. I must confess that I was surprised at the way it seems to prickle and tingle when it first goes on, due to the glycolic elements no doubt. However, I would like to think that after all the heavy duty face peels and other AHA, BHA, retin A and other treatments, that my skin is pretty strong. Amazingly, not with this OTC product. That said, the lotion feels great once on the face and after the initial tingling, it makes the skin glow and feel so soft and smooth. I love the cleanser and Souffle which has 2% more glycolic acid than this lotion and interestingly does not prickle as much. Overall, a very good lotion that really works to smooth the skin and take away minor lines and wrinkles. Final word of recommendation: WEAR AT LEAST 30 spf sunscreen when using this or any of the other AH products, that's a must!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by tammcsny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This ruined my skin.. Literally. Never Again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd recommend the lotion for those with dry skin or those who are on the drier side of normal or combo. This stuff can work triple time if it works for your skin type: it addresses signs of aging, exfoliates, and on top of that, it moisturizes really well. It even went really well with my make-up (though I deleted a lip cause it was definitely created an oily look). It can also make an excellent spot treatment for zits--provided it doesn't break you out... But one of the reasons I'm writing this review is that a lot of people seem to be recommending the lotion for acne--in fact, that's why I started using it--but while it can potentially help with acne, I definitely wouldn't recommend the lotion version for those with acne prone skin!

I used the lotion for four weeks and since I had started using it at the tail-end of a really bad breakout I didn't notice that this stuff was actually the reason I was still breaking out by week four! Basically, the whole time I was using it, I was so impressed with the changes it made in my skin (and make no mistake this stuff dramatically improved my skin even as it broke me out) that I felt sure that pimple-free skin was just around the corner. And it wasn't, not with the lotion! And it was really hard to tell, 'cause as I stated before, I started using this stuff after a bad break out, so the 1-2 cysts I started getting every week actually seemed like an improvement in comparison. I figured if this stuff was the culprit then it'd probably be giving me more zits than that, right? But it didn't. It was only when I started getting zits on my chest (where I never get them--I was putting it there for kp) that I was able to conclude that it was definitely the cause.

Anyways, I found out later that this lotion contains ingredients known to cause and promote the formation of acne, in particular, myristyl myristate--which rates a 5 on the com scale! If you read the reviews it seems like this stuff works for plenty of acne prone people, but wait a minute...it also seems like plenty of those people are still reporting zits despite it... So just to be on the safe side, I say go for the cream, or even better the gel. At least this way you can know for sure if glycolic acid can help your acne (and it definitely will if you find the right version for your skin).

Update: I've quit using AHAs. Maybe I'll come back to them later on, but for now I've found manual exfoliation with the ProX brush to be more effective for me. Also, I keep reading that BHAs are are way better for acne (and FYI, Paula's Choice or Neutrogena's "Acne Stress Control, 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment" are basically the only BHA's out there worth considering as they contain no irritating ingredients).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No