April 23, 2014 | 1457 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Light Elements Smoothing Fluid

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2007 12:11:00 PM More reviews by laumar27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I didn't see what was the big deal about this product. It is your typical greasy hair serum, but more expensive. The consistency is very runny - it's like squeezing pure oil onto your hands. If you look at the ingredients for this, it contians so many plant oils. I don't mind using hair products that contain minimal amounts of oil, but this one has 4 different plant oils listed as main ingredients. That's too much! I used this on both wet and dry hair, and didn't notice any improved shine or smoothing. This is way overpriced for what you get.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2007 9:11:00 PM More reviews by Jquinone

Honestly, this stuff is amazing. I use it every day before I dry my hair and then again before I straighten it . . . my hair comes out looking shiny and soft! Also, you can use a decent amount of this product without that greasy feeling (although you don't really need more than 2-4 pumps). After trying so many similar products that left me with so-so results (and a lot of grease), I have finally found my savior! I have thick, wavy, unruly hair, but I am sure this product would yield the same results with any hair type. I would 100% recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2007 7:58:00 PM More reviews by clamster

Love this. You can pretty much use this whenever, on dry or wet hair. I usually use this when my hair is almost dry/frizzy concentrating on outer layers and ends. It really helps. A little goes a long weigh and it never weighs my hair down. I have thick/ just below the shoulder length hair and about 4 to 5 pumps works well. It also smells really good but very light.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2007 11:23:00 PM More reviews by lisaf6501

I got this last week after my stylist used it on me. It made my hair so soft and shiny that I had to ask her what it was. She pointed it out and I hesitated at the $23 or so price tag, but I got it anyway. I use this lovely serum before I dry my hair and again after I flat iron. I don't know if it's possible to use too much. It feels so light but packs quite a punch. Really smooths and shines my hair without being greasy whatsoever. I have super thick hair that falls just past my shoulders, and I use about 4 pumps on wet hair to blow dry, then 3 pumps after flat ironing to give shine and a little bit of definition. I love the smell too, which I normally don't with Aveda products. This one smells more clean and less herbally. If I ever use my bottle up, I'll repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2007 3:01:00 PM More reviews by Marlena_M

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have naturally curly (3A/B) hair that is fine, medium density, colored and chemically treated. I use this on damp hair before blow drying it straight and my hair comes out very soft. A few drops on dry hair and it makes a great finishing product imparting nice shine. It's a very light product and does not weigh down my hair. It is full of silicones (the first ingredient is cyclopentasiloxane - the toughest silicone to remove) if that matters to you but that makes it a great protectant for heat styling. I would repurchase even though my holy grail before blowdrying is still Kiehl's Heat Protective Silk Straightening Creme.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2007 2:50:00 PM More reviews by idriveajeed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very light finishing oil. Is absorbed by the hair leaving it looking healthy and shiny. Good for light, natural looking finish. Also helpful if applied right before using a straightening iron.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2007 4:58:00 PM More reviews by AJC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not the greatest fan of the fragrance composition, but apart from that this is a great product! Protects my hair end from splitting and heat damage, smooths away flyaways, imparts great shine. So, I'll keep it stocked.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2007 2:15:00 PM More reviews by caydensmama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great serum. It gives shine and smoothes, but isn't as heavy as some serums. It has a very lightweight feel to it, almost like you could layer it on and still it wouldn't build up. I love it before blowdrying or ironing, and I love adding a little more to a finished style for shine and to define layers. This is also the perfect serum to add shine to your hair on a second or third day of wear between washing, because it is so lightweight. Also it smells really great!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2007 8:21:00 AM More reviews by greep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product! I have mid length layered hair that tends to curl out at the ends on bad days (of which I have a lot), and this takes care of that. I like it best because it works on dry hair so if I am in a rush and need to go out witbout looking like a complete mess, I don't have to wet my hair to blow and restyle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2007 7:54:00 PM More reviews by amygirl3540

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ok, this product is the best one on the market if you don't want greasy hair. It smells nice...not very strong. It's weightless and though it's a little expensive, it's worth it because I've already spent enough money on other serums that didn't work very well. I've tried Paul Mitchell skinny serum, Biolage smoothing serum, AND Redken heat glide. All of them made my hair greasy and weighed down, didn't help with tangles...not good for wet or dry hair in my case. The Aveda Light Elements smoothing fluid is the ONLY smoothing "serum" that left my hair silky and soft. I have used it on wet hair before blowdrying and on dry hair to smooth fly-aways and add shine. It works well before and after using a flat-iron, too. I feel like the other serums out there may be better for people with extremely dry/textured hair. My hair is a little dry from hi-lites, but it doesn't need to be oily/greasy/weighed down, so this is perfect. I'm surprised by the number of people who didn't like this. I know it seems like torture to drop $23 on it, but it's fantastic and I have come to the conclusion that it's definitely worth it.