December 19, 2014 | 1576 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coco

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2011 5:12:00 PM More reviews by donnatd

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a classic scent, formulated as a Tribute to one of the greatest designers, and altho this is a spicy oriental, so unlike the aldehydic
fragrances she helped create, this speaks to more than the woman
Coco Chanel, but to the era in which she lived and created,
and to her clientele, even in our own time.

I take issue with the comment: "old lady fragrance."
There is more than one way to interprete a fragrance.
Your fragrance is your unspoken language: it makes a
statement even before you say a word.
Your fragrance can say:"Peace."
It can set a mood for joy, for celebration for seduction;
it can also express sadness and nostalgia.
In no way does this fragrance bespeak an 'old lady.'
To me, 'older women' tend to prefer simple, cleaner
fragrances because the don't care for the fragrance
to proclaim something they are not.
There are some fragrances that very young women
should not wear, they simply can't carry them off.

Many of Chanel fragrances were not created for young women,
but for women who knew who they were,
knew what they wanted, and had the style and maturity
to wear complex perfumes. Just as there are designs
of the Chanel House that simply don't suit very young girls.

Coco takes my breath away: it is complicated, rich and
sets a mood of intrigue and something foreign.
A great fragrance for colder weather, and something festival.
This is a fragrance for a confident woman who has experienced
life with all its heights and depths. A woman as complicated
as Coco Chanel, a woman who expects respect and delight.

I love it.

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2011 4:16:00 AM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is another really strong scent that I do not spray directly on myself. I spray it into the air and then walk through the mist as it falls.

I love this scent. Classy, sexy, spicy. I think a lot of the older scents get a bad rap just because they are, well...older. We have smelled them on older ladies, grandmas and what have you so then it we associate it with old lady when it might be a perfectly lovely scent.
This perfume seems to work very well with my body chemistry as there is never a time through out the day that it doesn't smell wonderful on me (unlike Opium, another older scent, that just turns nasty on me) and it does last all day. I've had my little bottle for about 3 years now and it's not even half gone, partly because I don't wear it everyday (far too strong for work) and partly because when I do wear it I only use a tiny bit.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2011 1:39:00 AM More reviews by dcausey

Got this as a gift in lotion form and thought, oh Chanel, how old school. Then I put it on...yes cashmere and pearls. It is one classy, luxurious fragrance. Such a nice surprise since everything new seems to be one fruit bomb after another.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 6:06:00 AM More reviews by celegia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm Italian and in Italy girls like chanel products very much. I'm a massive buyer of chanel make up and fragrances and faithful for years to no. 5 and no. 19. Strangely i haven't smelled coco since two days ago, maybe not attracted to the name who sounded old to my ears. I was in a department store when a clerk sprayed it on my wrist. Such a big surprise! How good it smelled! It made me think about oriental velvet drapes and gold, sparkling silk. I felt like a byzantin princesse wearing it and after a disappointing test of cheap-fruity Coco Mademoiselle i bought the edt. that for me is lighter and right for italian warm spring.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

At first I didnt like this on the top note but as it dried down I love it just love it A very pleasant oriental with a powder dry down yummy

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by MissChanel24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this Chanel perfume!! It is soft, feminine and perfect for winter. The scent makes you feel like you are wrapped in a warm cashmere blanket.. So delectable, divine and comforting...

But this fragrance is not for women younger than 21. Wear with confidence - its very overpowering. It will make people want to hug you.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2011 4:16:00 PM More reviews by ellacinders

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wear the EDT in very sparing amounts, otherwise it overwhelms. That said, this is one of my favorite scents ever ever ever. The sparkling peach at the start is stunner but as it dries down Coco becomes the softer fragrance I crave -- intoxicating, sweet, musky, and mysterious. A bit of spice and patchouli emerges eventually. Gorgeous.

Very expensive... luckily I got my bottle as a gift.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by LastNameAvailable

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm currently on a Chanel binge, sampling them whenever I can as they're not easy found in my town. After the fond reviews here I tried Coco (Modern formulation, in EDT) and, wow. Where to start? It is so very different from my dear No. 5. The scent is mysterious, almost melancholic. I don't get sexy, or necessarily sophisticated, but the feel is like trying to remember a dream once one has awakened.
Like with most Chanel fragrances, I have a hard time easily classifying the notes. The opening is strong. I was shocked at how masculine it smelled, and my first thought was how very "Chanel" it was. My nose can always find rose, and I get fleeting glimpses of jasmine, but most of what I smell is a complex dried spice/incense. The drydown is quite nice, and it mellows considerably. It wears a bit closer to the skin than No. 5, and feels a bit more like an aura than a perfume. I really think I like this, but I'm terribly on the fence as to whether or not I'll wear this. I will update when I've tried the EDP. As of now I keep getting flashes of my female relatives, even though I doubt any have worn this. Perhaps it was just too popular during my early years, but the overall feel I get from this is one of ageless, nurturing, almost maternal femininity. Not so much "old lady", more like "mother" in the primal female archetypes of "maiden, mother, and crone." It would take a special woman to tame and own this scent. Chanel Coco doesn't need to proclaim her sexuality to the world. The woman who wears her knows who she is.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 9:49:00 PM More reviews by BelleDeCrecy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great fragrance, but let's keep in mind that Coco Chanel died 1971. Coco was created by Jacques Polge, and was launched in 1984. I doubt that Ms. Chanel ever actually met Polge or smelled Coco.

I think of this masterpiece as a special occasion, cold weather fragrance. I have to be in the mood for it, but when I am... it's BLISS.

It also has an amazingly long shelf life. Hubby bought me a HUGE bottle of EDP in 2002 or 2003. I've kept it in my dark, cool fragrance cupboard and it still looks and smells true today.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2011 3:26:00 PM More reviews by Reese325

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Too sweet/syrup-y for me. I think it smells a bit old lady-ish too. Way too popular; I smell this everywhere I'll leave it to everyone else, thank you.