October 21, 2014 | 1545 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2014 9:52:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

One of the loveliest red lipsticks I've ever had the pleasure to wear. I normally favour an orange-toned red such as 'Lady Danger' or NARS 'Red Square', but I love the colour of 'Ruby Woo' and how bold it is. It's a matte red with strong blue undertones, I just love how much it brightens my face and flatters my skintone. I feel that when I wear it, all I need to do is wear a little bit of bronzer, mascara, nude eyeliner and fill in my eyebrows, because it makes such a strong impact. You can see on the comparison picture how blue-toned it is compared to the other two. Longevity wise, it lasts incredibly well - I don't own a red lipliner yet, so what I do is apply 'Prep + Prime Lip', wait a few minutes, then fill in my lips with Urban Decay's 'Ozone' lipliner then add 'Ruby Woo', blot, then re-apply. Now the lipstick itself can be a little difficult to apply, it's definitely not as smooth as 'Lady Danger' in that aspect, but for your troubles and efforts you get a gorgeous, long-lasting pout. Throughout my working day, I drink around 6 cups of tea, have my lunch and I only ever need to reapply after eating. It fades down to this beautiful red stain, it never rubs off completely. I will definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:38:00 AM More reviews by rillensora

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

My first red, so it has sentimental value for me.

I went to the store having read the blogs and concluding that Russian Red was the one for me. Then the SA tried Ruby Woo on me and it just brightened up my entire face in a way RR didn't. It also made my teeth look amazing.

It's a strong, bright true red, livened up with an extra dimension of fluorescent rose. I've heard it looks good on a wide variety of skintones, and can attest that it looks great on bronzed skin as well as my own light beige-ivory complexion. I DO have significantly ruddy skin, but I found this lipstick didn't emphasize that too much for some reason. Could just be me. Also be warned that this does lean toward the blue side of the spectrum as far as reds go, so keep your own coloring in mind.

Or just try it on. Just because I liked it, doesn't mean you have to, and if you're getting that "wow" factor the moment you put something on and look in the mirror, that's always the most important thing: if that's missing, you probably shouldn't buy it.

The packaging is nice and chic, and the much maligned texture isn't so much of a problem for me. It's winter currently, and I apply this over lip balm and have no problems.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 1:04:00 AM More reviews by Vida2112

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG!!!this is the perfect pin up classic red. I love it so much I got a tattoo of the tube and my red lips next to it on my right arm!I will spend $15 anyday for this perfect lip colour. I just don't like how it gets flaky after wearing it for awhile, but its still the best ever. love love LOVE!!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love red lipstick, its my favorite color to wear. I have Russian Red (best red ever!), MAC Red, and Viva Glam 1, and the only thing that ever stopped me from getting Ruby Woo was the Retro Matte finish on top of my naturally dry lips. However, I thought that since its such a popular lipstick, even people with dry lips must think its worth having, so I gave it a shot. It's extremely hard to put on with a brush, so I applied it straight from the bullet. It's a beautiful, bright, blue-red color, and I really like MAC's matte lipsticks, but I just couldn't take the Retro Matte, it was sooo much drier. After wearing it for a whole day my lips were so parched I couldn't wear anything but lip balm the next day. I ended up returning it. Also, why I had it for that day I realized it looked almost exactly the same color as Cherry lip pencil.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Tinker26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The Ruby Woo is Amazing!
I wear it as an everyday look without liner or gloss.
The lip stick is bright and fun! The more you put on the brighter it gets. It doesn't run off the lip and you can kiss, drink and eat it will stay on prefect.

The only down side is of your wanting to do about touch up the lipstick kind of crumbles on your lip. Do i recommend a light swipe of chapstick before applying and that well avoid it from doing that.

It's a long wear proven 24hr lip color ♡♥♡♥

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by Qwertysa

This was the first mac lipstick i got since the lady suggested it, and overall its one of the best red lipsticks i've worn since! The packaging is good like any other mac lipsticks. I am on my second tube of ruby woo and i love it! 5/5. Its a really great matte red with a blue undertone :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2013 1:17:00 AM More reviews by PurpleCupcake87

Beautiful shade of red! Omg I tried Russian red years ago and it felt too creamy for a matte. I remember one time when I when I turned 21 and went out for for drinks, I had a few too many and went to to the ladies room to freshen up. To my horror the lipstick had smeared all around my lips and I looked a hot mess, oh gosh! Now going forward years later I've decided to give Mac another try since i received a gift card for a Christmas present from my mom. The sales lady Christine showed me ruby woo and Omg instantly fell in love and took it home to try on. Love it! This red is a little brighter than what I'm used to but still makes me feel sexy and it also makes my teeth look whiter. I hope it can can survive a night out on the town we shall see this weekend :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by LexMarie1991

I love MAC lipsticks, but Ruby Woo is my favorite. I originally purchased it as a teen because Robert Smith swore by it and fell madly in love with it. This is my most used lipstick. I've repurchased it and will continue to do so. It is incredibly matte and stays on through eating and drinking without budging. It is also very easy to apply and shape on the lips, (though for some of you who may need that extra help, pair it with MAC's Cherry lip liner). Since it is so matte, it does tug at the lips during application a bit and it is not moisturizing, but I don't really mind either of these issues (considering I typically never have dry lips) especially because this enhances the lasting power. The shade of red is very vibrant without being too bright or too deep. It's a gorgeous shade and I always get compliments when I wear it. The price is very acceptable as well for both the quality of both the lipstick and the packaging and the amount of product you get in each tube. (Since these are not as creamy, they tend to last longer than any other MAC lipstick finish.) Overall, I love Ruby Woo and it has definitely been a signature lipstick of mine for several years.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I will start by saying that I love the color. As many have stated, it seems to be a universally flattering shade of red. However, while because of the formula it lasts forever, it's incredibly dry. It's the driest lip product I think I've ever tried. (outside of the "Outlast" type formulas which when dried feel like cement to me) This is a great thing because of the staying power but since I have very lined (and usually dry) lips, it doesn't look too great. I have to make sure my lips are SUPER exfoliated and moisturized before I even dare to wear this. (which isn't often)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I heart ruby woo. It took me a while to get this, as the MUA at MAC suggested Russian red for me, idk why, but I had to see what all the fuss was about and ordered me some ruby woo to arrive on Christmas Eve - yay! It's fabulous. I LOVE the matte finish. It's almost like a gigantic red lip pencil which means.... It lasts forEVER! Which I love in a lipstick. I have well moisturized lips (thanks PTR unwrinkle lip) so dryness isn't an issue for me but may be for some. Id say compared to Russian red this is a pinker more wearable red; RR is heavy dense less matte and richer. I love em both but I think I've found my new fave. Oh and it's great if you want to wear a glitter type gloss on top because still, it doesn't budge! Best, most flattering MATTE red out there. I do not regret my purchase and would chose RW over RR if I ever run out :)