Manic Panic Temporary Hair dye

3.4

on 9/25/2011 10:18:00 PM

In the past I've used various Manic Panic dyes on bleached hair (New Rose, Electric Tiger Lily, Ultraviolet, Enchanted Forest, Electric Lizard...) with varying degrees of success.

However, I've gone back to a more natural style, and have grown out my medium golden brown hair (it's about mid back length). Since my hair is practically virgin hair at this point, I thought I'd use some pink/purple dye to colour the underside so I picked up Fuschia Shock. Here is my review specifically for that colour:

Pros:
-The colour showed up really gorgeous. It's a bright/medium wine colour and it flatters my skin tone very well.

Cons:
-This dye STAINS. Like not like normal hairdye... I'm talking spend an hour with a toothbrush and some Comet with bleach scrubbing your shower, bath, and any other surface that this dye came into direct, or indirect contact with. I have NEVER had a hairdye stain this bad.
-To be honest, as beautiful as the colour is, I regret dying my hair. I'd much rather have it back to my normal brown colour, which brings me to:
-Good mother of science, this stuff BLEEDS. After dying, I washed my hair... a good 10-15 times with Sunlight dish soap to fade it as much as possible (again, decided I didn't like it). Kept bleeding colour. Did a hot oil treatment because my scalp was irritated, and then washed with my regular shampoo and once again PINK EVERYWHERE. I'm honestly terrified to wash my whole head at the same time because I don't want my lovely brown hair on top to get stained :/

In all, Manic Panic is great if you want crazy hair colours. But think long and hard about that choice before you do it. Also, if you pick up Fuschia Shock, be prepared to be cleaning up for a longgggg time and be prepared to wear this hair colour until the end of days because it sure doesn't look like it's fading yet :/

on 8/2/2011 8:12:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I really like manic panic, I've used pillarbox red and rock'n'roll red so far and both colors have turned out nicely. They don't last that long but I don't mind that, I usually get a solid 2 weeks with a vibrant color and it just dulls more and more for a month or so after that. I have never had one that had a soupy consistency, the ones I've tried were more like lotiony consistency. I definitely recommend only using this if you have several old already stained towels you can use while it's washing out (or black towels) because it does bleed after each wash. but I never bleach beforehand and I always get a pretty red color out of it so I like it. I'm going to try black soon as well. I just wish it was a smidge cheaper.

on 7/31/2011 4:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

my hair is fine, light brown and naturally curly...like tight spiral curls.i relax my hair and the next day i applied MANIC PANIC INFRA RED (did not bleach). the mistake i made was i put leave in conditioners and an olive oil product in it right after i dyed it....it rubbed off on my clothes...on everything really.i ended up going to the beach and it washed out in the ocean....when i got back i also had MANIC PANIC VAMPIRE RED. i used it but i didn't put any leave in conditioners or oils in my hair after and it stayed!!! that was about 8 moths ago....i still can see traces of the vampire red on my hair after my hair has grown out. everybody's hair is different...i found a way to make it work on my hair...it is kinda liquidy and i made a mess but then again at the time i didnt use a brush to apply it.i left it on for 4 hours and rinsed with cold water...i've heard vinegar works...i didnt want to try it tho.im about to try the new MANIC PANIC ROCK N ROLL RED. im going to do it the same as the vampire red...but im also going to use a filler because my ends are pretty dry from relaxing. before i dye it im gonna do a few days of conditioning and then let it be for 2 days then use filler(redred filler) and then dye it. and rinse in luke warm to cold water to help seal it in.MANIC PANIC isnt for everyone or for every hair type either...but i like it a lot...not to expensive...you can mix different kinds if you wanted..non damaging...not tested on animals.....great color if done properly (again every hair type is different)i have used it and im about to do it again...i trust it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This hair dye is awful. The consistency is literally soup. Watery, colored soup. It was terrible to try to apply to my hair, it dripped everywhere. It stained everything worst than a permanent hair dye, ANY permanent hair dye i've ever used.
I've had to bleach my bathtub for a few hours to get it all out.

I prepped my hair prior and lightened it, since I have naturally blonde hair but it was dyed darker. I slathered it all in my hair and wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it for an hour and a half.

Upon washing it out, it WOULD NOT STOP BLEEDING. The "excess color" wouldn't stop bleeding after that, either. Dye on my sheets, shirts, anything that my hair touched.

The color went from purple/pink to red to a dull peach within two weeks.

It didn't do any damage to my hair but it was a complete waste of time and money. Terrible color "payoff" not even worth keeping up with.

on 6/17/2011 3:41:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I feel this dye is getting very unfair reviews due to people having a massive lack of knowledge of general dying. I'm not saying anyone is stupid by any means. But there are some people that obviously didn't real the labels. Know what you are buying.

Everyone's hair is different. You can check your own hair's porosity. And if you've decolorized virgin hair, it's obviously going to be super porous for dying after the processing. It's obviously recommended that you decolorize the hair before putting vibrant colors in it (especially if you have a dark natural color, or any previous coloring done).

This is NOT a permanent dye (seriously, read the labels), it is a semi-permanent/vegetable dye. That obviously means that the color will not stick for a very long time. If you are dying your entire head, or long sections, and you wash frequently, this will not last. You should either look up stronger dyes, or let a salon take care of it. If you have a few streaks, or a colored section hidden under your natural hair (so roots will not be obvious), then this is a good dye to use.

Because this is a vegetable dye, it does not contain harmful chemicals. I know girls that leave this on their noggin's for hours at a time, or over night to stain their hair. They've never experienced any discomfort nor hair loss from doing so (and neither have I).

You need to consider your shampoos being used. They might strip out ANY dye you put in your hair. Obviously, make sure the shampoos and conditioners are for color treated hair. And don't be scared to try something new if you don't feel your current goodies are working. Corn starch (yes, corn starch) can also be used if you don't plan to wash your hair daily. Use it on DRY HAIR ONLY. It absorbs excess oils. Do not substitute corn starch for shampoos completely.

I am by no means in butthurt-defense mode over this dye. It just helps to know why it is or is not working. If you still do not like MP, Special Effects is another vegetable dye that gets some good praise. I have never used it myself, but it's gotten favorable reviews from what I've seen. Unfortunately, it only seems to be easily available online nowadays.

And on a final note: Dyes stain stuff. That's just how it is. Put on gloves, use Vaseline, wear a shirt you don't want to ruin (or a cape), and suck it up and scrub the tub. Or, again, just go to a salon.

on 4/3/2011 3:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I hate Manic Panic....
I think the only reason why it's gotten big is because of the color variety and the availability of it. It's convenient to get.

I hate it because it's watered down. Take a look a Jerome Russell and compare the concentration of it.

I also hate it because it doesn't last as long, even if your hair is porous enough to grab it, it really washes out faster than it should.

Another reason why, is because it doesn't smell as amazing as Jerome Russell and it's pricey for how fast it's gonna go because it's not concentrated.

I'd skip this and go to a local beauty supply that has Jerome Russell.

on 3/15/2011 5:17:00 PM

for the longest time manic panic was the only semi permanent dye I used, I was unable to find any other dye that I liked. and I was and still am a big fan of the brand. last one I used was pillarbox red, it was bright and fun and I got lots of compliments on it. it did fade kinda fast(but red usually does) ive also used hot hot pink and purple haze, both were awesome. the one downside to it is, I live in Canada and its so hard to find it here. only place I can find to order it from doesn't have all the colors. its an awesome product for a decent price.

on 1/27/2011 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I used this in high school to put pink streaks in my blonde hair. It was cheap, it was fun, and it lasted a couple weeks before it started to dull. I never noticed any damage, and if I was still younger, I would purchase again.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This past summer, I decided to take my level 1-2 hair color (black) to a bright (clearly fake but I LOVED it!) red. I left the processing to the pros (I didn't wanna touch that with a 10-foot pole LOL) and it lifted up fairly well and I was left with a nice, vibrant red. Me being a lover of all things over-the-top, I decided that red I left the salon with was not vibrant enough to suit my taste so I went out on a whim to Sally's and picked up a jar of MP Pillarbox Red and a pair of gloves and a color retouching brush. I came home and ran that all through my hair and dried it in with a hair dryer on high heat. I was left with a stop sign red color which was exactly what I wanted. As we all know, reds are known notoriously for fading quickly and bleeding, and my hair was no exception. My hair bled even before I put the Manic Panic on it. Anyway, the maintenance on this color was hell and I found myself doing my hair at least 4x/week with the Manic Panic to maintain the color. I wasn't washing my hair as frequently in hopes of keeping the haircolor in and thus resulting in less upkeep, but it wasn't happening. My hair was very stiff feeling after the Manic Panic. Again, I applied it on anmd applied heat (according to the package you should do this to achieve the most vibrancy as possible). Also, once my regrowth started to show, it was difficult (for me anyway) to get this stuff to stick on and develop on my roots. I became so frustrated with the entire process that I ended up going back to my black hair. With the Manic Panic, my hair felt dirty all the time (obviously because I wasn't washing it as I should have been) and it started to get a bit on the pricey side too. With all this being said, I got so many compliments on my red hair. I miss it but not enough to go back to that whole applying MP nearly every day thing. I.+ if you just have a streak or two or a small area to color then go for it. Maintaining that daily shouldn't be difficult. But for all-over color? I'll pass. On a final note, their color selection cannot be beat and I've heard great things about their Virgin Snow color/toner.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I LOVE this product. I've been useing this dye my whole life. I don't know why there are so many negative rateings on it. Are you guys forgeting to bleach your hair first? You MUST bleach first for the color to stay in, and belive me, it wont come out. I use the tourquise color, and the color is just so bright and amazing. For about 8$ I get enough to last me a while, and I re-dye my hair every week just to refreshen the color. You don't even need to use alot to refreshen the color either. DEFINATLY a favorite of mine. I've used a few other brands, and nothing is better than Manic Panic.