April 17, 2014 | 1486 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2011 7:24:00 AM More reviews by nikkimorrissey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This past summer, I decided to take my level 1-2 hair color (black) to a bright (clearly fake but I LOVED it!) red. I left the processing to the pros (I didn't wanna touch that with a 10-foot pole LOL) and it lifted up fairly well and I was left with a nice, vibrant red. Me being a lover of all things over-the-top, I decided that red I left the salon with was not vibrant enough to suit my taste so I went out on a whim to Sally's and picked up a jar of MP Pillarbox Red and a pair of gloves and a color retouching brush. I came home and ran that all through my hair and dried it in with a hair dryer on high heat. I was left with a stop sign red color which was exactly what I wanted. As we all know, reds are known notoriously for fading quickly and bleeding, and my hair was no exception. My hair bled even before I put the Manic Panic on it. Anyway, the maintenance on this color was hell and I found myself doing my hair at least 4x/week with the Manic Panic to maintain the color. I wasn't washing my hair as frequently in hopes of keeping the haircolor in and thus resulting in less upkeep, but it wasn't happening. My hair was very stiff feeling after the Manic Panic. Again, I applied it on anmd applied heat (according to the package you should do this to achieve the most vibrancy as possible). Also, once my regrowth started to show, it was difficult (for me anyway) to get this stuff to stick on and develop on my roots. I became so frustrated with the entire process that I ended up going back to my black hair. With the Manic Panic, my hair felt dirty all the time (obviously because I wasn't washing it as I should have been) and it started to get a bit on the pricey side too. With all this being said, I got so many compliments on my red hair. I miss it but not enough to go back to that whole applying MP nearly every day thing. I.+ if you just have a streak or two or a small area to color then go for it. Maintaining that daily shouldn't be difficult. But for all-over color? I'll pass. On a final note, their color selection cannot be beat and I've heard great things about their Virgin Snow color/toner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by StephyStapler

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I LOVE this product. I've been useing this dye my whole life. I don't know why there are so many negative rateings on it. Are you guys forgeting to bleach your hair first? You MUST bleach first for the color to stay in, and belive me, it wont come out. I use the tourquise color, and the color is just so bright and amazing. For about 8$ I get enough to last me a while, and I re-dye my hair every week just to refreshen the color. You don't even need to use alot to refreshen the color either. DEFINATLY a favorite of mine. I've used a few other brands, and nothing is better than Manic Panic.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 7:17:00 PM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

ETA: A coworker with green hair gave me a great tip which worked perfectly for me last night - wash my hair with dandruff shampoo a few times and then poured vinegar over it, letting it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I put on my regular conditioner (Shiseido Tsubaki) and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinsed and FINALLY no more bleeding. My hair is still vibrantly black and there was no bleeding today in the shower. I'm still not sure if I would buy it again but I'll probably use the remaining black MP dye when it's time to do my roots. Yay.

I'm conflicted about this hair dye. The pros are the relatively safe ingredients and the gorgeous blue-black color I received by mixing Raven and After Midnight. The BIG con is that my hair won't stop bleeding!

My bathtub looks like the scene of a smurf massacre after every shower. My pale pink manicures turn dark grey after fixing my hair. I've never experienced anything like this!

I won't be buying again, as much as I loved that it wasn't tested on animals, and the color.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2011 9:17:00 PM More reviews by emmaensign

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use the colour "Rock n Roll Red" and i love the colour that it comes out on the day i colour it - Bright vibrant red with a hint of orange, as opposed to hints of pink/violet which i hate! I see alot of people dislike Manic Panis hair colour because it fades too quickly. I do find that this colour fades fast on my hair, but it's not a huge problem to me for a couple reasons. the first reason being that it fades to a vibrant flame orange, which is cool because i get 2 different hair colours over a couple of weeks. Second of all, my hair wasn't bleached white when i first put this on. I had a deep blood red hair colour and i bleached it just enough to lift it to a sort of dusky pink - porous enough to take on the colour, which means when manic panic fades, it doesnt fade to a wishy washy pastel colour. I think that is a good way to approash colouring your hair with manic panic - to just lift your hair with bleach enough for MP to grab on. don't bleach your hair to white or there wil be nothing inside the hair for MP to hold on to. Every 2 or 3 washes i mix some MP with heaps of conditioner and use that in the shower and leave it on for 15 minutes to redeposit the colour. I recolour with MP about every 2 weeks :)

rated 2 of 5 on 10/30/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by ravergal1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product does not stay on hair. I have blonde hair so I really don't need to bleach it and it comes out a great colour, but once I hit the shower it's gone. I have Punky dye in the front or my hair that's still the same colour as the first day I put it in and it's been a month already. If you're looking for a fun colour that'll only last 1 hair wash than go with Manic Panic but if not then stay as far away as you can from it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2010 3:59:00 PM More reviews by SequinZombie

This hair dye. Just no. It doesn't last more than 3 washes for me. Yes I do understant is a semi. but there are other brands that last awhile without fading. For the price I will never buy manic panic again. If you want some color in your hair for a few days this is your brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2010 10:49:00 PM More reviews by vagueparade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Some people don't understand that this dye isn't permanent! It's only supposed to last a short amount of time, although I've noticed that some pink/red/purple colours can stain blonde hair, but that's no biggie. :p I LOVE manic panic, it's always my go-to when I want a weird colour or if I have a different colouring disaster.. haha.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2010 2:52:00 AM More reviews by SaraNikkita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love Virgin Snow. I once dyed the ends of my hair with Wildfire and it looked very cool. I got a ton of compliments on it. It did however, wash out very quickly and when it started to fade it looked pinkish. Not what I wanted but it was cute while I had the dye and could touch it up.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2010 More reviews by VisualKei

HAAATTEEE!!! Ive dyed my hair every color of the rainbow & this sucks! It washes out after a week + it is really goopy and runny, so it gets everywhere! I use and love Special Effects. Most colors lasts 3+ weeks to a few months! I love Manic Panic makeup though >.<

rated 1 of 5 on 5/12/2010 10:56:00 PM More reviews by Eifersucht

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Used Manic Panic - After Midnight Blue a couple of times before discovering other brands that lasted longer and because using a very dark color would help me keep a shade of blue for a longer time. I mean I rather have dark blue faded to shocking blue than shocking blue faded to turquoise or baby blue in just one week. My hair doesn't work well with Manic Panic, yet I know some people that claim that thats the best brand and that is very long lasting. Obviously thats not my case, but I recommend you to try it, maybe you are lucky and it last longer on you.