December 22, 2014 | 1625 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2011 1:55:00 AM More reviews by turnthisaround

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This hair dye is awful. The consistency is literally soup. Watery, colored soup. It was terrible to try to apply to my hair, it dripped everywhere. It stained everything worst than a permanent hair dye, ANY permanent hair dye i've ever used.
I've had to bleach my bathtub for a few hours to get it all out.

I prepped my hair prior and lightened it, since I have naturally blonde hair but it was dyed darker. I slathered it all in my hair and wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it for an hour and a half.

Upon washing it out, it WOULD NOT STOP BLEEDING. The "excess color" wouldn't stop bleeding after that, either. Dye on my sheets, shirts, anything that my hair touched.

The color went from purple/pink to red to a dull peach within two weeks.

It didn't do any damage to my hair but it was a complete waste of time and money. Terrible color "payoff" not even worth keeping up with.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 3:41:00 AM More reviews by ANZology

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I feel this dye is getting very unfair reviews due to people having a massive lack of knowledge of general dying. I'm not saying anyone is stupid by any means. But there are some people that obviously didn't real the labels. Know what you are buying.

Everyone's hair is different. You can check your own hair's porosity. And if you've decolorized virgin hair, it's obviously going to be super porous for dying after the processing. It's obviously recommended that you decolorize the hair before putting vibrant colors in it (especially if you have a dark natural color, or any previous coloring done).

This is NOT a permanent dye (seriously, read the labels), it is a semi-permanent/vegetable dye. That obviously means that the color will not stick for a very long time. If you are dying your entire head, or long sections, and you wash frequently, this will not last. You should either look up stronger dyes, or let a salon take care of it. If you have a few streaks, or a colored section hidden under your natural hair (so roots will not be obvious), then this is a good dye to use.

Because this is a vegetable dye, it does not contain harmful chemicals. I know girls that leave this on their noggin's for hours at a time, or over night to stain their hair. They've never experienced any discomfort nor hair loss from doing so (and neither have I).

You need to consider your shampoos being used. They might strip out ANY dye you put in your hair. Obviously, make sure the shampoos and conditioners are for color treated hair. And don't be scared to try something new if you don't feel your current goodies are working. Corn starch (yes, corn starch) can also be used if you don't plan to wash your hair daily. Use it on DRY HAIR ONLY. It absorbs excess oils. Do not substitute corn starch for shampoos completely.

I am by no means in butthurt-defense mode over this dye. It just helps to know why it is or is not working. If you still do not like MP, Special Effects is another vegetable dye that gets some good praise. I have never used it myself, but it's gotten favorable reviews from what I've seen. Unfortunately, it only seems to be easily available online nowadays.

And on a final note: Dyes stain stuff. That's just how it is. Put on gloves, use Vaseline, wear a shirt you don't want to ruin (or a cape), and suck it up and scrub the tub. Or, again, just go to a salon.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2011 3:47:00 AM More reviews by fionamimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate Manic Panic....
I think the only reason why it's gotten big is because of the color variety and the availability of it. It's convenient to get.

I hate it because it's watered down. Take a look a Jerome Russell and compare the concentration of it.

I also hate it because it doesn't last as long, even if your hair is porous enough to grab it, it really washes out faster than it should.

Another reason why, is because it doesn't smell as amazing as Jerome Russell and it's pricey for how fast it's gonna go because it's not concentrated.

I'd skip this and go to a local beauty supply that has Jerome Russell.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2011 5:17:00 PM More reviews by LectricErin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

for the longest time manic panic was the only semi permanent dye I used, I was unable to find any other dye that I liked. and I was and still am a big fan of the brand. last one I used was pillarbox red, it was bright and fun and I got lots of compliments on it. it did fade kinda fast(but red usually does) ive also used hot hot pink and purple haze, both were awesome. the one downside to it is, I live in Canada and its so hard to find it here. only place I can find to order it from doesn't have all the colors. its an awesome product for a decent price.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2011 12:56:00 PM More reviews by mtnsunshine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this in high school to put pink streaks in my blonde hair. It was cheap, it was fun, and it lasted a couple weeks before it started to dull. I never noticed any damage, and if I was still younger, I would purchase again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2011 7:24:00 AM More reviews by nikkimorrissey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This past summer, I decided to take my level 1-2 hair color (black) to a bright (clearly fake but I LOVED it!) red. I left the processing to the pros (I didn't wanna touch that with a 10-foot pole LOL) and it lifted up fairly well and I was left with a nice, vibrant red. Me being a lover of all things over-the-top, I decided that red I left the salon with was not vibrant enough to suit my taste so I went out on a whim to Sally's and picked up a jar of MP Pillarbox Red and a pair of gloves and a color retouching brush. I came home and ran that all through my hair and dried it in with a hair dryer on high heat. I was left with a stop sign red color which was exactly what I wanted. As we all know, reds are known notoriously for fading quickly and bleeding, and my hair was no exception. My hair bled even before I put the Manic Panic on it. Anyway, the maintenance on this color was hell and I found myself doing my hair at least 4x/week with the Manic Panic to maintain the color. I wasn't washing my hair as frequently in hopes of keeping the haircolor in and thus resulting in less upkeep, but it wasn't happening. My hair was very stiff feeling after the Manic Panic. Again, I applied it on anmd applied heat (according to the package you should do this to achieve the most vibrancy as possible). Also, once my regrowth started to show, it was difficult (for me anyway) to get this stuff to stick on and develop on my roots. I became so frustrated with the entire process that I ended up going back to my black hair. With the Manic Panic, my hair felt dirty all the time (obviously because I wasn't washing it as I should have been) and it started to get a bit on the pricey side too. With all this being said, I got so many compliments on my red hair. I miss it but not enough to go back to that whole applying MP nearly every day thing. I.+ if you just have a streak or two or a small area to color then go for it. Maintaining that daily shouldn't be difficult. But for all-over color? I'll pass. On a final note, their color selection cannot be beat and I've heard great things about their Virgin Snow color/toner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by StephyStapler

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I LOVE this product. I've been useing this dye my whole life. I don't know why there are so many negative rateings on it. Are you guys forgeting to bleach your hair first? You MUST bleach first for the color to stay in, and belive me, it wont come out. I use the tourquise color, and the color is just so bright and amazing. For about 8$ I get enough to last me a while, and I re-dye my hair every week just to refreshen the color. You don't even need to use alot to refreshen the color either. DEFINATLY a favorite of mine. I've used a few other brands, and nothing is better than Manic Panic.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2011 7:17:00 PM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

ETA: A coworker with green hair gave me a great tip which worked perfectly for me last night - wash my hair with dandruff shampoo a few times and then poured vinegar over it, letting it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I put on my regular conditioner (Shiseido Tsubaki) and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinsed and FINALLY no more bleeding. My hair is still vibrantly black and there was no bleeding today in the shower. I'm still not sure if I would buy it again but I'll probably use the remaining black MP dye when it's time to do my roots. Yay.

I'm conflicted about this hair dye. The pros are the relatively safe ingredients and the gorgeous blue-black color I received by mixing Raven and After Midnight. The BIG con is that my hair won't stop bleeding!

My bathtub looks like the scene of a smurf massacre after every shower. My pale pink manicures turn dark grey after fixing my hair. I've never experienced anything like this!

I won't be buying again, as much as I loved that it wasn't tested on animals, and the color.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2011 9:17:00 PM More reviews by emmaensign

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use the colour "Rock n Roll Red" and i love the colour that it comes out on the day i colour it - Bright vibrant red with a hint of orange, as opposed to hints of pink/violet which i hate! I see alot of people dislike Manic Panis hair colour because it fades too quickly. I do find that this colour fades fast on my hair, but it's not a huge problem to me for a couple reasons. the first reason being that it fades to a vibrant flame orange, which is cool because i get 2 different hair colours over a couple of weeks. Second of all, my hair wasn't bleached white when i first put this on. I had a deep blood red hair colour and i bleached it just enough to lift it to a sort of dusky pink - porous enough to take on the colour, which means when manic panic fades, it doesnt fade to a wishy washy pastel colour. I think that is a good way to approash colouring your hair with manic panic - to just lift your hair with bleach enough for MP to grab on. don't bleach your hair to white or there wil be nothing inside the hair for MP to hold on to. Every 2 or 3 washes i mix some MP with heaps of conditioner and use that in the shower and leave it on for 15 minutes to redeposit the colour. I recolour with MP about every 2 weeks :)

rated 2 of 5 on 10/30/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by ravergal1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product does not stay on hair. I have blonde hair so I really don't need to bleach it and it comes out a great colour, but once I hit the shower it's gone. I have Punky dye in the front or my hair that's still the same colour as the first day I put it in and it's been a month already. If you're looking for a fun colour that'll only last 1 hair wash than go with Manic Panic but if not then stay as far away as you can from it.