October 22, 2014 | 2004 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Lustre - Gleam

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2009 9:28:00 PM More reviews by ShadowNuks

The worst MAC shadow I have ever purchased (and I have quite a few). It was a let down because it appeared to have a color reminiscent of MAC's Expensive Pink, with a lighter application.

However, when applied the beautiful color glimpsed in the pan is lost, and what is left is a faint swatch of gold-pink, barely visible to the eye, accented by a copious amount of microglitter. Even with a base and painstaking application, this shadow almost ALWAYS has fallout.

You can attribute this fallout, and gritty texture to the 'lustre' finish of this product, but even compared to other lustres, Gleam is a let-down in regard to pigmentation, texture, and staying-power.
Heartbreaking.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2008 9:42:00 AM More reviews by irinabj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

As other reviews mentioned Gleam is very pretty color in the pan. However, it doesn't go as smooth on the eye lids as I would like it too .You have to really pile it on to see any color but by then it looks very caky and not flattering. I really want to love it, maybe have to figure out other ways to apply this shadow.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 10:12:00 AM More reviews by angelakay016

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This color works well on me (brunette with light-med skin and green eyes), but I do not think it would be flattering on every skin tone. I think on some people it could pull out the pink "I'm sick" eyes look. I wear this over MAC paint pot in Soft Ochre which helps bring out the pigment. I wish the texture of this eyeshadow was a bit more creamy because applying it with a brush separates the glitter and gets it everywhere. I would use a sponge tip applicator or finger to apply.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2008 2:22:00 PM More reviews by tmf1969

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised at the low score this MAC shadow received. Gleam was recommended to me by a MAC on-line specialist for my coloring (blonde/hazel/NW15). This shade has become an everyday staple of mine. I can use Gleam lightly as an all-over wash lid to brow with a little brown or dark plum liner smudged when I am in a hurry. Gleam also looks stunning paired with other MAC shades such as Trax, Sketch, Beauty Marked, Mulch, Sable or Mythology. I usually use Gleam on my lid with Sable in the outer V and either Rice Paper or Naked Lunch on my brow bone for a soft, polished everyday office look. I personally find Gleam as a versatile shade with works very well with plums, plummy browns, and rosey brown shades. Works also well with either brown or plum eye liner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 11:39:00 PM More reviews by erynnj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

ok I hate hate hate hate hateeeeeeeee lusters with a passion but this one is the only one that acutally looks as gorgeous on as it does in the pan , but beware this one takes alot of layering and mastering to get to work but once is applied correctly wow great for blue eyes!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2008 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Cuppiecakes

This is one of my HG eye shadows. This is one of MAC's lustre formula eye shadows which means it has pieces of glitter in it (the glitter is not flashy though, very subtle). The color is a goldish orangey melony color. I wear this e/s in one of two ways. 1. A peach colored cream e/s all over my lid (a very thin layer), pack on Gleam all over lid and then MAC Jest on my brow bone. Line eyes (top and bottom) with Urban Decay's Gunmetal 24/7 e/l. 2. Get some Gleam on my brush and blow on the brush before applying to my lid (that gets all the glitter pieces off). Jest on brow bone and Gunmetal to line. Number 1 is a little more vibrant in color and the glitter stays on your lid because of the cream e/s. With out the cream e/s and getting rid off the glitter the look is much more subtle but still very beautiful! By the way I am fair skinned with pink undertones and grayish blue eyes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2008 12:23:00 AM More reviews by MissBrittanyM

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased Gleam back in 2005. It caught my eye just sitting there on the rack, and looked great when I swiped it on my hand. The peachy pink lustre is very complimentary to my NW15 skin, and the bit of shimmer makes my blue eyes sparkle. I used it as an all-over wash, or as an under-brow highlight, depending on my mood. It looks nice paired with just about anything, since it can throw warm or cool casts. It is a very nice shade to brighten up your face without the look of obvious shadow. This is the first shadow I have ever finished in my life!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2008 4:49:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Gleam appears to be a gorgeous shimmery neutral in the pan but turns into a glittery, SLIGHTLY pigmented mess when applied on my eyelids. I'll say right off of the bat that I'm not a huge Lustre fan, but this seems more glittery and likely to flake than other Lustres I've tried (i.e. Retrospeck).

The color itself isn't too offensive. It's a very pretty peachy/gold/beige color that looks like it would work with a variety of colors. Once it's on, though, it loses its appeal. I had to put on several layers to see any color at all (and I'm quite pale--NW15) and even then, I saw more glitter than color. Glitter was everywhere after a few seconds--all over my eyelids, on my cheeks and in my eyelashes. I felt like a Vegas showgirl gone horribly wrong--not a good look for my conservative workplace.

So sad... I had high hopes for this, especially because it seems like a perfect color to wear with Trax. The texture and lack of pigment ruins this one for me. Needless to say, I won't repurchase Gleam.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2008 3:49:00 PM More reviews by kwilli49

This is my favorite eye shadow - ever! I love all MAC shadows, and haven't found any other brands that compare to the excellent pigment concentration.

Gleam is definitely my favorite color, and I always keep it in my makeup bag. I have brown eyes, and when I pair Gleam with a teal shade, it really makes them pop. MAC has both a teal (name forgotten) and a purple (Trax) that have a hint of gold shimmer in them, and they both look excellent with Gleam.

I use Gleam as a base almost everyday - you can apply lightly to get a hint of shimmer and warm tones, or layer it on for a bolder peachy/gold color. Love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2008 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Feezo85

I bought this eyeshadow to layer over Rubenesque paint pot... the MA told me that it would be better to wear Gleam over something because its more of a texture than high color payoff. I took this home and yuck... did not like it at all. It seemed quite gritty and the color wasnt all that great either. To me, it seems like many MAC eyeshadows with the Lustre finish just arent a favorite of mine. I returned it and plan on getting urban decay X since i heard that the both the color and texture is 100% better.