October 25, 2014 | 1947 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2006 2:27:00 PM More reviews by sheisontherun

I am so torn on this product. On one hand, it covers my funky, veined eyelids better than anything else I've tried. The linen shade works really well for that. On the other hand, it creases like nobody's business and seems to make eyeshadow disappear faster. I should add that my skin is on the oily side so that may contribute, too. I like tossing this on when I'm not planning on wearing any shadow because it gives a nice, polished look. But with eyeshadow it kinda stinks. Not a bad product, as it does have its place, but it could be better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2006 8:18:00 PM More reviews by wendirr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have the Eye Basics in Linen and the color is perfect as a base for my eyelids. I am a very neutral porcelain. It covers my redness and creates a smooth, even canvas for my eyeshadow. It also makes eyeshadow show up better and be true to the color it is in the pot. You only have to apply a very small amount. Be sure to blend it quickly because it dries fast, but as long as you don't use too much you won't have a problem. My eyeshadow lasts all day without creasing when I use this product. It is expensive, but should last a very long time since you only have to use such a small amount each time.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2006 1:44:00 PM More reviews by tammyhughes

I have this in linen and LOVE it. I use it as a highlighter shadow (and then layer the chocolate eye basics color on my lower lid with the summer tan eye basics to go color over the chocolate - it looks fab!) These creme products are the first shadows I've ever used that do not crease even after a long day (and believe me, I've tried everything ... Dior, Bobbi Brown, MAC, the list goes on). It does take some practice to apply these shadows, but once you get the hang of it you'll love them.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2006 8:21:00 PM More reviews by maggiefung125

A very nice eye makeup base, does what it says.

The point is to apply as little as you can, and it will last all day long. Same thing goes for most of their products, less is more.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2006 4:25:00 PM More reviews by LIZ_FAITH

I bought the eye basics in linen, and it is great! It serves as such a good eyeshadow base--my eyeshadow shows up so vivid and last forever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2006 8:56:00 PM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

These are really great- creates the perfect canvas for your eyes. To apply makeup or not to apply makeup- it's up to you. I have worn this alone just set with powder and it totally brightens and visually lifts the entire area. As an eye base it has helped dramatically in terms of preventing eyeshadow creasing and fading midday. I just wish it came in a pot since the wand just reintroduces bacteria into the vial after each use- I find the product starts to go bad after a month or two.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2006 7:19:00 PM More reviews by vortiz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best product I have come across in years. I have always had trouble with creasing no matter what type of eye shadow I used. I was actually at a Stila counter in Nordstrom and the sales girl recommended this product. I didn't check the price at the time but it is a little high. I have to say now though that I consider it the best investment and worth every cent. My eye makeup looks the same after a 10 hour day as it did when I left in the morning. Hopefully I will never have to makeup my face without it!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2006 11:32:00 PM More reviews by libralibra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was no match for my super oily lids. After just an hour, the lids creased and the oiliness again became apparent. This might work on someone with less oily skin,.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2006 9:57:00 PM More reviews by vanbergc

SA gave me this product in Wheat which looks a bit yellow on my eyelid, so the next time I buy, it'll be a pinkier, lighter shade. But I will buy again...this is SO reliable, and makes any powder eyeshadow(haven't tried cream) last for hours without creasing...lasts until you hit it with make-up remover. Superb product indeed!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2006 1:37:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

EDIT 03/14 Gave the Eye Basics another try - Sadly, this is still horrible on me. LM is such a nice brand but my search saga for a light eye primer continues...
Not sure whether I got a bad batch, but the Eye Basics in Linen that I've been using did not go on smoothly at all. No matter how little I applied to my lids, they would look chalky and dry. Also my eyeshadows would not look good on top of that chalky layer. Besides, crepey eyelids is not exactly what I call flattering! The color Linen however was a good match for my very light cool-toned complexion. Compared to UD's Primer Potion as well as Paula Dorf's Eye Primer, which both work great for me, the performance of Laura Mercier's product was clearly disappointing. Would not repurchase.