November 29, 2014 | 1200 users online

Masks - Mario Badescu - silver powder

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by akrypti36

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and large pores. This product single-handedly improved the texture of my skin. Before, I woke up every morning with an oil slick on my face. But after frequent and diligent use of MB's silver powder, I wake up with healthy feeling skin. Also, the size of my pores have diminished significantly. I strongly recommend trying this product if you tend to have oily skin and large, visible pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2010 7:39:00 AM More reviews by Selina0617

I bought this product because I thought I lost all hope for blackheads except for a manual extraction- leaving my skin inflammed, red spots everywhere, and caused a ton of breakouts where I picked.

I don't remember how I got introduced to this product, maybe online, but there is nothing like this!!! So, what I have learned from this product is this: I wil not literally dimishish your blackheads fully, what I think it does is this: You can literally use the product like it says, and then one you begin to wash it off with the toner, you can see blackheads and clogging pulled out kind of haflways stillin yoru skin, take a warm washcloth and simply scrub them off! For more stuborn ones, I took the wash cloth in my hands wrapped it around my fingers and ever so gently squeezed a little and they came RIGHT OUT! This is the best product for clogging so far and doesn;t leave you with pimpled everywhere. It really loosens the clog if it doesn't take it right out.

After using, you may have a white film, I would reccommend just rising with cool water and maybe use the washcloth again to just get it off, or a creamy moisturizing cleanser if you really need to. I would also recommend scrubbing with an exfoliator in the shower before you use it for the best results possible. You can use a nice toner or aloe toner or witchhazel to close the pores and maybe your thin oil free lotion.

The only cons about this is that you will have some fall-out with the powder as its drying. Don't wear nice or black clothes as it becomes like baby powder.

The product is in the optimal packaging for it, it works awesome, the price is WELL worth it, so you don't have to squeeze your face all the time. I would definitely buy again and recommend to anyone.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 1:39:00 AM More reviews by PaperAlias

This stuff can be really tricky to work with, and while I don't think it helps get rid of blackheads all by itself, it works well as a supplement to manual extraction and exfoliation.

I believe this sells for $12 on the MB website, but I managed to find this on eBay for $10.

The powder is packaged in a tub, and yes, it can get kind of messy, especially if you intend on using this all over your face. You'll want to apply this over a sink so you don't get powder fall-out all over your clothes.

This is called a "Silver Powder," but it's actually just plain white. Looks a lot like baking powder. Directions say to wet a cotton ball, dip it into the powder, and apply to affected areas. After 10-15 minutes, remove the powder with a toner/astringent.

As other reviewers have mentioned, I too do not like putting something wet into a dry product. I don't use this as an all-over face mask, but rather, just on my blackhead-ridden nose. I take a very small measuring spoon, scoop a bit of powder into my hand, add a few drops of water to make a runny paste, and spread over my nose. Considering how VERY little product I need for each use, I imagine this tub would last me for at least a year.

You do not need a thick layer. A thin, sheer layer is enough. Plus, the more powder you apply, the harder it is to remove.

Once it dries, I remove the powder with my witch hazel toner and then follow up with a Biore nose strip, as other reviewers have recommended. After the strip, I then apply a bit of liquid BHA to my nose to help keep the freshly-unplugged pores clean. I've found that this routine has worked quite well for me thus far.

There will be some white residue left on your skin after the toner. I hate rubbing over and over again with a cotton ball, so I just wash off excess with water.

This powder is meant to loosen the plug in the pore to help facilitate extraction. As I mentioned before, it will not remove blackheads all by itself. I noticed that the blackheads were a lot softer and easier (and less painful!) to remove after using the powder.

It's been a couple of weeks now, and while I still do have some congested spots on my nose, it does look a lot better. It feels smoother, and the pores are cleaner and less noticeable. Blackheads are fewer, and the ones that are still there are not as dark.

It took a few tries to figure out how to make this work for me, but so far, I like it. I will continue to experiment. It isn't a miracle product that will work overnight, but with some patience, this stuff seems to work quite well over time. My nose is getting closer to actually looking "normal."

If the cotton ball directions on the tub don't work for you, don't give up just yet! Some of the tips of the other reviewers here who've tried this product have worked quite well.

UPDATE: Went from 4 lippies to 5. This has really been helping my blackheads a lot. I stopped using this for a week (I don't remember why), and I noticed that my blackheads began looking larger and darker again... but then I went back to using this again, and my skin is starting to look better. The longer I stick with this, the better it's gotten. I use this about 4 or 5 times a week (only on my nose). It really helps loosen the "plug", making them easier to remove and clean out. I think this is now a new skincare staple for me.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Flassie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I can't say that this doesn't help cuz it does.. it makes my pores tighter an less gross, but it didn't help me as much as it helped other reviews... maybe cuz my blackheads are deeper and oilier then most? idk, but I will continue to use it weekly b/c it helps, just not as dramatically as i had hoped

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2010 11:06:00 AM More reviews by sll74

this is an excellent skin mask. i applied just as directed. i let it dry and it was great. i like it better than some of the thicker masks out there. i wet my face in the shower then used a white sort of nubby towel and it came off easy breezy for me. just a little extra attention around the nose. i woke up this morning without an oil slick on my face. this one is a keeper and i like that it's simple, 3 ingredients including zinc which is known to be good for the skin. the only downside to this product is that it will flake as it dries so don't use it over your computer or while cooking...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2010 9:58:00 PM More reviews by jessical5183

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Love this stuff! It's a bit messy (fallout), somewhat difficult to figure out how to use, but once you get the hang of it it's quite effective.

Surprisingly, it helped to clear up my acne. And I used it at least 3 times a week, because I was really battling blackheads. I find it helps if I scrub my face lightly as I'm removing the powder after I've left it on my face for the allotted 10 minutes, and this helps the product to "pull" the blackheads out gently....I'm not an expert, but that's been my experience.

It softens my skin and tightens my pores a bit with regular use, but this is certainly not something you want to use alone. You need a good toner and a great moisturizer with it or it can dry your skin out (even mine, and mine is quite oily!).

It lasts a good while, which is a plus. It feels so good on my face once I apply it - it's smooth and cold (from the water required for application). But between the 5-10 minute mark, it begins to flake off my face and make a mess, which is slightly annoying. I've learned to just keep my face still for those 10 minutes and minimize the fallout. If you talk or move your face too much, you'll get white powder all over the place. It's so annoying.

Don't expect this product to clear up your blackheads without the assistance of a scrub and a good AHA product. I love to use Mario Badescu's Alpha-Grapefruit Cleansing Lotion to remove the Silver Powder, and then I use Mario Badescu's AHA & Ceramide Moisturizer after. Using these products together did wonders for my acne, but I imagine anyone with normal/oily skin could use it. Would not recommend to people with dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2010 10:12:00 AM More reviews by amaiaisabella

Man, do I love this stuff. I had a heck of a time getting it off when I used it as a mask, though. No matter how much toner I used, I still had a white film on my face. I find much better results using this as a spot treatment. I get a lot of clogged pores since I have oily but sensitve skin, and this clears them up without leaving me red and irritated. I either spot treat overnight or for half an hour during the day, wet a washcloth, and leave that over my face for a bit before wiping away. Pimples, if I have some, are reduced and no longer red, and clogged pores look clearer. A+.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2010 4:54:00 PM More reviews by lunadestella

I discovered Mario Badescu's silver powder earlier this year through one of HauteLook's private sales. I think it was $7 then? Not sure but it was cheaper than retail. Anyway, all I knew at the time was this powder was suppose to help with blackheads. I've had blackheads on my nose ever since middle school. I've tried practically everything I could to get rid of them but nothing worked. They'd either come back or worsen with treatment. So it was worth a shot to try the silver powder. I'm so glad I did! The blackheads on my nose began to shrink by the third time I used this. Mario Badescu's Silver Powder is messing but hey that's what makes doing a mask fun! I call it my "Geisha Mask" :). I'm definitely sold and will be a lifelong user. Thanks Mario Badescu!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2010 9:51:00 AM More reviews by BallerinaBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this product a few times but it didn't do jack for me. I'm not sure why, it just kept crackling and crackling on to my clothes and when i washed it off it had no absolutely effect unfortunately.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 11:08:00 AM More reviews by designgirl73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is really great. Really works at removing gunk clogging pores. I've used it a few times and have seen a difference. I'm hoping with continued use things will get even better! Be sure to follow instructions and remove with toner/astringent. I was using water and a wash cloth and didn't get the great results that I did when I followed the directions. (go figure!)

Mario products are amazing and the price is unbelievable! If you fill out a questionaire online you'll get a customized routine sent to you, including samples.

The only negative about this product for me is applying with a cotton ball. It's a bit cumbersome, but nothing too annoying. A little goes a long way so the canister should last atleast 6 months if not longer.