December 22, 2014 | 1581 users online

Eyeliner - Laura Mercier - Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

rated 2 of 5 on 11/3/2007 10:23:00 PM More reviews by souporsunny

I was so disappointed. I really wanted to use this to tightline but it smudged within an hour. Even when I didn't tightline it would smudge. Returned this to sephora today.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2007 8:24:00 PM More reviews by savethemarianne

A year after buying this, I love this eyeliner, it would be HG except for the application with water isn't exactly on the go or ideal for travelling, I think I'd have to buy something else on those occasions. The finished look is brill, I can make the line soft or hard by smudging so it can look pencil as well. It stays on my top lid for 3 days if I don't on purposely take it off with remover, it will stay on through swimming for me (fades obviously but is still there). Tightlining is essential for me because my lashes are bit scatty so can't just line on top of the lashes and this gets right in there easily. Takes a while to master but now I can do it pretty quickly. Can see why it's not for everyone but I love it cos it does everything I need it to do.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2007 9:57:00 PM More reviews by Absolutely

The SA put it on me using the tightlining technique and wow, it looked and felt great. The brush is not too hard and when I tired it myself at home, it's pretty easy. I just wet the flat brush, flick off any excess water and pick up a bit of the eye liner. It goes on smooth and I never thought I could wear black eye liner. I have dark hair and eyes with pale skin and it looks really nice on. It makes my eyes look rounder and more defined (especially when I apply it on top of my lashline too). Only problem is that there is a bit smudging...I was hoping it wouldn\t smudge at all but it's better than any pencil liner for sure. My oily eyelids are horrible when it comes to eyemakeup.

I will likely try Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner or MAC's fluidline in the future for my upperlids. My eyelid crease folds inwards (the crease is not very visible when I open my eyes) so it makes smudging even worse.

This was extremely expensive, the eye liner is 29.00 and the travel flat liner brush is 36.00 CAD (before taxes) at Holt Renfrew. Altogether 73.45 CAD after taxes.

The eye liner is small, 0.05oz/1.4grams but it looks like it's going to take me a long while to get through it.

The packaging is bland and boring but the little mirror is handy when I need to check my eyemakeup during the day.

EDIT November 07: This smudges onto my lower lids through the day and it flakes too. The flakes are the worst, you can't really brush it off without it smudging on your face, leaving a black mark. I even use Visine with it now and it flakes like crazy. Not to mention the smudging. Ugh. Hate this.

Ingredients: Talc, Propylene Glycol, VP/VA Copolymer, DEA-C8-18 Perflouroalkylethyl Phosphate, Soritan Sesquioleate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyethylene, Magnesium Myristate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Zinc stearate, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, Socorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Iron Oxides
May contain Ultramarines, Carmine, Manganese Violet

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2007 6:06:00 AM More reviews by JClarke

I was persuaded to buy this after the salesgirl showed me the technique of pushing the eyeliner underneath the top lashes rather than drawing a line on the top which I have never done with much success. I didn't see much effect in the store (I was already wearing eyeliner in the regular way) but bought it anyway. I'm glad I did as the effect is brilliant. I wish I had known about it years ago. It makes the eyelashes looks much fuller and gives depth. Quite natural looking, not at all artificial. As I have very fair eyelashes I had always had the problem that there was an unsightly gap at the bottom between mascara and eyeliner. No more! It is important that you use the right sort of brush for this. An ordinary pointed eyeliner brush won't do the trick. It needs to be a stiff brush, flat across the end, in order to push the eyeliner into the lashes. Laura Mercier do a special "push brush" but I use one from MAC which is a bit cheaper.
As for the eyeliner itself: It's a cake eyeliner that you need to mix with water. I haven't tried it (yet) but I susppect that any eyeliner used this way would look good. Black ebony is a nice dark colour for the top lashes. (I also have the emerald green which I use in the regular way for lining undeneath the eyes, below the bottom lashes.) I do use it everyday but I can see the bottom of the pan even after a couple of weeks so it could work out expensive! I may be adding too much water so I'll try to moderate it. There is a technique to mixing it with just the right consistencey.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2007 11:10:00 PM More reviews by LuthienTinuviel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, count me in on the LM Cake Liner lover bandwagon! I have and still love several MAC Fluidlines, yet was never quite satisfied with the results I'd get when using them to tightline. Enter the wonders of cake liner! I kept reading and wondering about this product on the MU board, yet resisted purchasing for many, many months. After all, I convinced myself, how can this really be all *that* different from using e/s wet as e/l? Anyway, after a long tenure on my wishlist, a very dear MUA'er sent me this as swap extra and I was astonished at the results! By using my BE liner brush to push this product just under my upper lashline I achieve significant yet subtle enhancement to my eyes for a lovely natural daytime look. For evenings or those times went I just want some extra oomph, I supplement the tightlining by using my MAC 263 to draw just on and barely above my upper lashline. Unlike MAC fluidlines (or any other liquid or gel liner for that matter), this product just seems to effortlessly glide on to give a more precise & more natural line that is the perfect deep carbon black. And it stays on all day too! Cannot wait to get this in Bleu Marine as well.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2007 1:45:00 PM More reviews by curlylocks

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After finally googling "tightlining" a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try it with my Bobbi Brown gel liner and it looked great. I planned to stick with that, but had a lot of dryness with my eyes during the day. After reading other reviews that mentioned how much nicer the LM felt, I decided to try it in black. What a nice difference! Looks even better and it makes my eyes feel so much more comfortable. It does take a bit of practice, but i'd say after 2-3 times of using it, you get your feel for it. (I hesitated to every try a cake liner for fear my impatience would keep me from getting good enough at it.) What works for me is to wet my brush lightly and then shake off the excess well before dabbing into the cake. Anyway, I highly recommend!! (Would have given 5 lippies but it does take a little bit longer to add water/blend, etc)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2007 4:48:00 AM More reviews by TigiStylist

Can I give this Ten Lippies? This is my second cake liner, from LM. My already big eyes, become huge, and wide open when I tightline.
I never want to be without this liner.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2007 6:59:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

This is truly a magnificent eyeliner! (I also have this in the Bleu Marine.)
Ever since I have been using this Black Ebony cake liner (I just purchased it on Sunday), I have been getting lots of compliments on how beautiful my eyes look! The black seems to be a nice, rich black, and it brightens and accentuates my hazel eyes more than any other liner I've used to tightline my upper lashes. I was going to pass on the black and just stick with the blue liner from LM, but now I'm glad I treated myself. This is a great find!
EDIT 11/20/07: I had to come back and update this review. I've noticed that for whatever reason, whenever I use any of LM's cake liners now, they make my eyes teary and run all day. At first I blamed it on allergies... then I thought that maybe my eyeshadow flaked into my eye... but unfortunately, it turns out to be THIS eyeliner causing all the tearing. I thought maybe it was becuz of the "6 Month Rule," so I bought a new one. My eyes STILL watered all day after applying this. Tried tightlining with gel liners, and the tearing stopped! {YAY!} I guess I have to stop using this product, whatever is in it does not agree with my eyes... continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2007 2:36:00 AM More reviews by georgieporgie1225

Most eyeliners run and give me racoon eyes. This didn't! It rocks and the mirror is super handy to have around. I apply with the MAC eyeliner brush and use the Sonia Kashuk smudge brush for a softer look. The built in mirror is SUPER HANDY.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2007 4:48:00 PM More reviews by bconwa02

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wouldn't consider this eyeliner to be my HG, but it is definitely up there. Takes some practice to put on but goes on 100% easier with the Paula Dorf transformer brush. (Thanks for the tip MUA raters!) I put it underneath my eyelashes on my upper lid, and makes my already sparse eyelashes look great and gives me that "certain something". Stays on all day and comes off easy with my eyemakeup remover. If you love cake eyeliner, this is worth the price!