November 25, 2014 | 1871 users online

Liquid - Merle Norman - Luxiva Lasting Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2009 5:40:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I usually wear powder foundation, but it just hasn't seemed like enough coverage for me lately. After reading the glowing reviews on this, I was excited to try it. I went to my local Merle Norman and waited patiently as another customer was being helped. That's how it is in my local shop. They normally have one SA and you basically have to wait in line to be helped. The atmosphere is terrible. There's never any music playing (not even elevator music) and there are no testers of ANYTHING. All the products are kept in little drawers that only the SAs can open. You tell them what you're looking for, they reach into their little drawers and pull out whatever they think would be best. So, I ask about this foundation and she just looks at me like I'm crazy. "You wouldn't like that. It's like stage makeup. It's very heavy and it was made for oily skin". Ummm, my skin is very oily. Even though I tell her this, she looks at me as though I'm lying. She insists that I try several other foundations first, one of them an extremely heavy cream foundation that is heavily fragranced (called powder base foundation. Yuck. See my seperate review for this). So, after trying three different things and hating all of them, the SA acts as though she's stumped and there's nothing left to do. I basically had to demand to try this. I was so tired of being there and humoring this woman and I knew what I wanted to try even before I walked in. The formula was actually quite beautiful. It's pretty much a liquid-to-powder foundation in a tube. It feels light going on the skin and is very buildable to a heavy coverage. The shade "Cream" was an absolute perfect match for my MAC NC20 skin. I've actually never had a foundation match me so perfectly. I had to use a little concealer on problem areas and tried this both with and without setting powder. I found that it performs better without. Powder on top just seemed to make it clump up a little. I also tried it with Merle Norman's Luxiva Powder Foundation as someone else mentioned, but it looked a bit cakey. Wearing it for 10+ hours, my face actually did stay mosty matte. I only had to blot once during the day. There are a few negatives for this that, unfortunately, outweigh the pros. First, when a good layer is built up on the face, it feels very heavy on my skin. I'm so accustomed to powder foundations and this feeling is just unacceptable to me. The worst part, though, is that I break out in tiny whiteheads every time I wear it. I've decided that the hassle at Merle Norman is enough to prevent me from ever going there again...except to return this foundation. For reference, this product retails for $27.00.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2009 11:04:00 PM More reviews by weulike

ive had breakouts since i was in the 6th grade..i used covergirl..neutrogena...everything under the sun...but my mom gave me a sample to try one day and i fell in love with this stuff...i ended up buying some around my 10th grade year...and im in my twenties now and i never turned back...some people have doubts when i tell them that this stuff has cleared up my face so much..its unbelievable..it almost controls my oil...i dont really know how to describe this stuff..and it deff. covers up all my old acne scars...staying power is pretty much all day without a primer...and i live in the humid south...id give it a try!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2009 8:27:00 AM More reviews by pizzamomma

I have been looking for a lighter feeling foundation for spring and summer to replace the medium to full coverage of ELDW Light. I really wanted something with the same staying power as Estee L. Based on the reviews here I went in my local Merle Norman. I have never been in one before and was very impressed with the products and customer service. The sales lady was very helpful and NOT pushy. I got a generous sample of the Luxiva Lasting. I loved it so much, I went in and got the full size and some other products. It has a light-medium look and feel. And it has staying power. Give Merle Norman a try, you might love it. P.S. This is buildable if you want a heaver coverage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2009 9:05:00 PM More reviews by lillylou2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Why oh why does anyone like this???? This foundation felt like a powder when i put it on... it's like it went to powder form when it hit my skin and i have oily to combo skin. II pretty much just hated it blah

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2009 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Breezi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this product!!!! I decided that I wanted a foundation that would give me more coverage and would control my oiliness throughout the day. When I bought it I expected a so so product meaning I was expecting a little bit of oil control and maybe a couple of touch up but to my surprise this foundation makes me look flawless throughout the whole day I think I just have to touch up once a day if that. Gotta love this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2009 7:52:00 PM More reviews by 2lovealot

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It's nice but it kinda looks like you have got foundation on its great . It gets lighter as the day goes on and its REALLY expensive I think I am gonna try studio fix because at least you get alot of product!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by bebo1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This didn't work for me. I still got oily, and it separated kind of like the mufe matifying fdtn. BUT lately nothing is working for me, so I don't think I can blame the foundation too much. Plus I've decided that I don't really like that much coverage. When my freckles are covered I look like a ghost. I did really like the finish/coverage of their regular liquid, but I'm too oily for it. Surprisingly, I really liked their tinted moisturizer! So, even though this wasn't for me, I still think it's of good quality. You should definitely give Merle a try if you've never been there because I think you'll be able to find something.

The good:

The SA was soooo nice and helpful. Not pushy. I was really nervous about having to deal with some stuffy broad (never been to MN before), so this was a pleasant surprise.

The foundation is surprisingly silky and easy to apply. You do need to get it blended in when you put it on, but you have enough time to do so before it sets.

Gives good (I'd say moderate to full) coverage. The powder fdtn goes well on top for really flawless coverage, though that was a bit drying on my non-oily places.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2009 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Sweetie1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Looked a bit maskey when the SA applied it, but I think she was a bit heavy handed. I matched with Soft Bisque in the neutral range - for reference, I am a MAC NC35. I will update if I have problems with it. Update: No breakouts and it keeps me extra matte. The emphasis is EXTRA...that's actually the only problem - my face feels so dry (I'm naturally very oily!) Update: I kept getting clogged pores on my nose and I had some irritation from this (I have sensitive skin as well). I wanted to list the ingredients for those of you who might find it useful:
Titanium Dioxide (8%), Isododecane, Isohexadecane, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides, Butylene/Ethylene/Propylene Copolymer, Silica, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Talc, Polyglyceryl-3 Disostearate, Polyethylene, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Triethoxycaprylsilane, Propylene Carbonate, Ethylene Brassylate, Benzyl Alcohol 011405 continued >>

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by evarose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

HG foundation. Ah-may-zing. Has a thin texture, but covers superbly and blends like nothing else I've tried. Glides on like silk and with very minimal blending, it disappears into your skin-- and not in the bad way some foundations disappear! Major pigmentation in this stuff. Covers everything and does NOT come off until you wash off (I use Cliniqie Take the Day Off Balm which is amazing) I don't think it's possible for this to look cakey, even if you apply another layer in spots for more coverage. I apply with a MAC 187 or Sonia Kashuk skunk brush. I also use my fingers sometimes if I'm in a hurry. In the past it took me ages to do my foundation, but with this foundation I can have in done in under 5 minutes no joke. I use Ivory, and while it's a *tad* dark for me, it still blends well enough to work fine. I got my first and current tube in a swap, but when I'm done with it I will definitely shell out the $30 for another tube. Yes, the price is kinda steep but if you're looking for a TRUE long-lasting, smudge-proof, silky easy to apply foundation that's gonna cover all flaws and look gorgeous, this stuff is worth it. Go try it! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2009 12:07:00 PM More reviews by jddyson

I really enjoy using this product. It was such a difficult task to find the right foundation that could meet my needs. I needed a foundation that covered my acne and acne scars, it wouldn't cause me to break out, stayed on most of the day, create a matte look and prevent me from looking like an oily mess at the end of the day (or even in the middle of the day).

This foundation met all those needs. The only issue I do have with it is the coloring. The very nice sales lady gave me Sesame, which is a close match, but my skin is super hard to find the right color.

Speaking of the sales lady, she was very knowledgeable about all her own products, even other products I use and this website. I felt confident that she knew exactly what I needed.

The downside of this is the price. With my budget, this is most definitely a splurge. Paying about $30 for foundation can put a strain on the wallet, but I bought it in mid January and I am still using the same tube. I figured it to be $10 a month and that's about the same amount I would spend a month on a covergirl product. Clearly I am trying to justify my purchase, but it doesn't matter, I love this stuff!

To compare, I have used MAC Studiofix, Origins Reflection Perfection, Clinique Repairwear and Covergirl Aquasmooth.

MAC changed its color throughout the day and caked, Origins was GREAT but got discontinued, Clinique made me break out like crazy and made me an oily mess and covergirl just makes me look like a ghost. Merle Norman is been the best!