October 30, 2014 | 1300 users online

Other - MAC - Back-2-MAC Recycling Program

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2011 9:32:00 PM More reviews by jillirific

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Amazing idea in theory and I wish every company had something like this. However, in practice, it is very hit and miss. Their inconsistent rules about whether pan-less empties are acceptable is enough to knock off two lipsticks from the rating. The fact that they don't even recycle the pans (therefore, you don't get two-empties-in-one like MAC seems to think will happen if they accept the plastic without the pans) really adds to the irritation. I have even been told once that I wasn't able to hand in more than 3 sets at a time. What!? I also don't understand why the policy for what you get varies by location (counters are lipstick only; stores are lipstick, lipglass or eyeshadow). Otherwise, great idea. Good way to test out new products you've been wanting to try or to replace a favourite. MAC just needs to get its act together with rules and/or training.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by KTcoleman30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE B2M! Just took back 30 empty eye shadow pots w/o pans and no questions asked. Picked up 4 of my fav lipsticks and an eye shadow! Woo!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by cadabeijos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE B2M! I've only exchanged my used MAC containers for lipsticks, but apparently at the actual MAC stores, you can trade 6 of your used containers for a lipstick (non-VG), eyeshadow, or lipgloss. I love free! I wish other cosmetics companies would do this. It encourages recycling and I think keeps customers coming back...I mean, you get customers to your store, and there's another chance they'll purchase something along with recycling....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 12:48:00 AM More reviews by shannysgirl18

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Free is FREE so I think there is no room to complain, inconsistency or not. This is an amazing program. How could you not be happy with getting a free product :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 12:39:00 AM More reviews by RitzyWoman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used the Back 2 Mac recycling program for the first time. I've read a few bad reviews, but it worked out fine for me. I traded 2 lipstick containers & 4 lipglass containers for a new cremesheen. It was easy, so no complaints.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 3:19:00 PM More reviews by biancastefani

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE the Back2MAC recycling program!

For those of you who don't know, you recycle 6 empty (or even half empty) pagackes of products (no, not the box, the actual plastic) and while MAC recycles it, you get to pick a free lipstick. At freestanding stores, you can pick a free eyeshadow or a free lipglass. However, you cannot select a Limited Edition product, a Viva Glam product or a Pro product.

Now, people have mentioned inconsistency with the rules. What I've stated above ARE the rules (I've asked in several MAC stores/counters) and if there has been any lenience in past experiences, it was due to the Sales Assistant, and the rules have NOT been changed to make life harder for us MAC addicts. :)

I really admire this program. It helps with the environment and it costs no money whatsoever if you already have the empty containers lying around. It also gives me a chance to experiment with new colours, without finding it a waste of money. So go for it! What do you have to lose?

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by princesstabitha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS PROGRAM !! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 2:51:00 PM More reviews by princesscr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this program. Many times I've been torn between a MAC product and a Smashbox product. I will purchase the MAC product because I know I can recycle it and get lipstick! Thanks, MAC!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 8:25:00 PM More reviews by martaalexandrino

Love It... I think everybody said what I would said!! Excellent program!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by alt629

Great idea. If you're already buying anyway, it makes sense to save your empties. I've accumulated so many free lipsticks on account of B2M! IME, at a non-freestanding store, you can only swap for non-Viva Glam lipstick. Once, though, I was told I couldn't get one of the mattenes from the Cult of Cherry, although later a regional MA told me that I could (and I did). In freestanding store, I was allowed to get any lipstick or lip gloss. I believe rules are different outside of the US (e.g., in some cases up to 10 empties are required).