August 20, 2014 | 1046 users online

Loose Powders - MAC - Select Sheer Loose Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2008 4:53:00 PM More reviews by sourskittleash

I have been using this for years, a jar lasts AGES, and it sets my makeup just perfectly to eliminate shine and even out my skin tone. Used lightly it doesn't look powdery at all, and you only need a small amount.

UPDATE: I started using MakeUp ForEver's loose powder "Super Matte", and it's soooo much better! Its a much finer texture that just melts into my skin and reallyy keeps me matte all day without looking caked! Sorry Select Sheer, I've put you down to a 4, you were a good powder to me all these years but now I've switched to MakeUp ForEver which gets a 5!

FYI in MAC I am NC35 or NC40, and in MakeUp ForEver Super Matte powder I am 54

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2008 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Does not even the skin texture as much as some other powders do... I have acne-prone skin and enlarged pores....this powder just did NOTHING to my problem......The pores on the nose even got larger! But my favourite I.D.-powder Mineral Veil does the job very good, I have used it for years. It is fun to try new products, but this just reminded me of why Mineral veil is so wonderful.... :)

I would not recommend this powder, because it's not better than any other......if you ask me. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2008 1:17:00 PM More reviews by itsmekylie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well, I actually really love the effects of this powder. I have very oily skin, and this mattes with the lightest shimmer that gives a luminous look. I have always been afraid of shimmer powders with even a bit of shimmer, but this isn't really shimmer, but more of a gentle illuminator. I love that it looks natural and leaves a glow but also helps control shine (for a while).

BUT- I hate the jar- the lid is hard to get back on.
Even more so, I think this is really TOXIC. It smells like petroleum and irritates my contacts/eyes & makes me cough for like a half hour after using it.

UPDATE: After trying a few more powders (out of many, many I've tried), I think I have to find a way to deal with the irritation and go back to this!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2008 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Christyshe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Well, this is my all time favourite Sheer loose powder! Better than BB loose powder. Almost finishing on the 2nd jar, often use this with a brush ontop of foudation to hold-up m/up last longer. Sometimes, just dust it after my sunscreen. Of cos, rinse-off properly with m/up removal. No breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2008 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this loose powder. I've been searching for an affordable loose powder and came across this one, which works fabulously. I was using Bobbi Brown's, but it's too expensive and MAC's color range is better. I bought the NC 15 and I'm very happy with the color, coverage, and texture. Definite repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2008 6:10:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, I have been using all kind of loose powders for years, and Dior & Chanel have been my staples for at least 15 years.
Then I decided to venture into other brands... so finally I got the chance to buy the so much praised MAC powder.
The SA recommended me this one (instead of her Blot one, dut to the fact that I wear the "classic" powders like Dior, that give you that polished finish). I got the NC15 - same as the foundation.
Well, the powder is a good powder, I mean, nice, it goes its job; colour is good, helps foundation to stay put. All ok.
The jar is verty spartan, I mean with this powder you are not even given the chance to use a puff as they do not insert it - OK you must use a specific powder brush but sometimes for a quick re-touch the puff is a valuable tool ! Many Makeup artists use it...to press the powder into the skin, see Chanel application technique video (and it is by far my favourite powder tool).
What I really do NOT get about ths powder is the price. I realized I paid 25 Euros (in Italy this is its price! corresponds to a good 39$!!) for a 8 grams jar ???????????????
Normally powders have 20, 25 or 30 grams as per the content, and their price range vary from 24 to 39 Euros (for the 30 grams in Guerlain, for example. Chanel is on 37 Euros for 30 grams too).
So I paid for a MAC powder (that is not exactly an High-End brand) 3 times the price of another brand - quality comparable???
If the MAC jar would have been "normal sized" (like 24 grams, for example) it would have had a price tag of 75 Euros??? This is out of control and not justifiable by its quality (good but not outstanding, and you do not use it in a lesser quantity respect the others... so a small 8 gr. jar will last 2 or 3 weeks at my place, nothing).
Good product, but never again, due to unjustified pricing.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2008 9:54:00 PM More reviews by amroa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this powder, it kept my face looking great all day and i didn't even need a retouch. It gives a subtle glow, but i don't know if it's the foundation (mineralize satin finish from mac) or the actual powder....maybe both. Anyways, its lovely, the combination of the foundation and the powder is perfection and my face has never looked this good and for a fraction of the cost of other department store brands and sephora....so i am happy.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2008 5:17:00 AM More reviews by ameshi

Pros:

-Not obviously powder
-Nice subtle shimmery feel
-Silky texture
-Controls oil and shine
-The pot lasts you for quite a while. I stopped using it after a few months, but at the rate I was going, it could easily have lasted me 2 years if I had continued.

Cons:
-Need the right brush to go with the application (which equals more time and more money)
-The packaging is irritating and not the most functional - it can get messy if you loose your footing for a sec and powder falls onto your carpet.
-The colour range is terrible. I was recommended NC25, but I'm a C3 in Studiofix!
-Pricey for a setting powder

Overall, this isn't a bad powder at all....for people who can find the right colour and for those who like to set their makeup with loose powder. For me, the colour wasn't right and it was too inconvenient to apply every morning.

Most importantly, why buy a loose powder to set your makeup when you can get a powder foundation which sets AND has coverage? I haven't used as many products out there as a lot of MUA girls, but I think I've neen lucky in finding great powder foundations in MAC StudioFix and Px Anywear. They're both great by themselves and as setting powder: great coverage, great finish, so convenient AND great colour range. I strongly recommend these two over Sheer Select Loose Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 11:19:00 PM More reviews by bellefranjic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I overcame my dislike of loose powders (mainly due to the mess they can make) and bought this one from MAC after hearing many wonderful things. I have not been disappointed. Sure, it can be messy and requires a bit more effort than a pressed powder compact, but the superior results justify the extra hassle. The results are beautiful - the powder just glides on and I find it fills in pores and lines, giving a very smooth finish, certainly much smoother than the finish I get from Select Sheer pressed or Studio Fix powders. With this powder, I feel like it glides over my face and any excess falls off the brush or off my skin, rather than sticking to my skin and giving me a caked-on look. It works perfectly with my #129 brush, though I can see how using a smaller brush would achieve better application around the eye area in particular. This one definitely goes to the top of my list.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2008 4:33:00 AM More reviews by gnaffchic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff. Really sheer, as it says. NC15 suits my skin tone - however when I tan it doesn;t stand out as pale to matte up areas as it's that beautifully sheer. Definitely my HG powder.